Missouri Officials Apologize After White Students Turn Backs On Black Team

Options
1CK1S
1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8dmuoI4Rd8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPk-_KJaHjY

A school district in Missouri is apologizing after a group of white students turned their backs and waved a Donald Trump sign at the beginning of a basketball game when the opposing team's players who are predominantly black were introduced.

"Members of our student body acted inappropriately and were insensitive toward our opponents," the district said in a statement on Tuesday. "The Warrensburg R-VI School District does not condone these actions and apologizes to anyone who was offended by the actions of these students. We will do everything we can to keep incidents like this from happening again."

The snub took place at Warrensburg High School on Monday evening just before players from Center High School were introduced. Video of the incident showed at least 20 students — many dressed in overalls, cowboy hats and camouflage — turning their backs to the basketball court. One person is seen waving a Trump/Pence campaign sign. The video was first posted by Center High School alum Antonia Nunn and has been shared more than 7,000 times.

Since Trump's win, many states across the country have seen an increase in racially-motivated incidents.

Nunn, 20, who attended the game to support her younger brother who plays on the Center High basketball team, told NBC News that she was uncomfortable and in shock at the game. "For someone to hold up a Trump sign and turn their backs where there was an all-white basketball team and an all-black basketball team, it came off as racist. I thought 'Are you kidding me?'"

She added that the crowd booed and yelled "oink oink" throughout the game.

Warrensburg Superintendent Scott Patrick told NBC News that he didn't think the incident was racially motivated and that the school has had a tradition of students turning their back when the opposing team's players were introduced. "It's not something that is condoned," said Patrick. "…I think one of our students who held the Trump/Pence sign probably didn't think of the ramifications of what they were doing."

Patrick has also said there will be consequences for the students involved on Monday night but the details of what that would entail were still being ironed out. "We will continue to talk to our students about what we expect from them in the way of behavior at events like these," he said.

"It's very painful for some people," Kelly Wachel Public Relations Director of Center School District said of the actions taken at Monday night's game, noting the high school is 75 percent African-American. She added, "Part of our feeling is that it takes an incident like this or a wake up call for someone to see how inappropriate this action is."

Comments

• stringer bell
    stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    http://www.dailystarjournal.com/opinion/context-trumps-racist-perception/article_4427056e-b3ca-52ac-a3b7-57107bf681d2.html
    Context trumps racist perception

By Joe Warren

Context.

It’s not a hard word to understand or even a difficult word to spell, but it sure can be hard to find.

For instance, at the Warrensburg High School basketball game against Center High School on Monday there were a couple of instances that led to an issue being blown completely out of proportion.

News trucks came down from Kansas City – must have been a slow news day – and a community and school district officials were forced to defend themselves simply because someone was either unable or unwilling to understand context.

The student section during Monday’s game decided to turn around and face away from the court when the visiting team was announced. There was also a single Trump-Pence sign in the crowd.

Let’s address each of these points, because they unequivocally are not related.

First, it is common for student sections in high schools and colleges to take collective actions during the introduction of visiting players.

Back in my day students in the student section at basketball games used to hold up newspapers during visiting player introductions as a form of intimidation or disrespect. It is definitely not a respectful action and I’m not arguing that it’s necessarily the right thing to do. But it’s also a common practice for student sections to turn their backs toward the court during visiting player introductions.

It’s not meant as a racist act. Student sections have been showing disrespect to visiting players of all races for as long as I can remember.

There’s the proper context. The students turning their backs on Center High School was not an act of racism. I am confident saying that.

Now, again, context is everything.

There are real race issues in this world. Unfortunately, racism isn’t absent in this society.

If the student holding the Trump-Pence sign meant it as a statement about race, then it should be dealt with accordingly. I’m not going to even attempt to defend the (potentially) indefensible.

One thing to consider is that Donald Trump and his running mate Mike Pence did receive 64 percent of the vote in Johnson County. Trump did get elected and will be our next president. Likewise, Pence is going to be the vice president. Simply supporting them is not necessarily a measure of racism.

Now, it’s my guess that a visiting parent (maybe a couple parents, I don’t really know the details and it’s really not that pertinent) called the television stations in Kansas City, put it on their social media accounts and got quite a bit of attention. They also managed to cast a negative light on a good community simply because they failed to understand context.

The reason it was blown out of proportion wasn’t because racism isn’t a huge issue. It is. But for one person to call all of Warrensburg racist because of one sign held by one high school student is exactly the type of generalization that allows racism to foster in this society.

Calling a group of people racist because they support Donald Trump is borne of the same ignorance that allows racism to prosper.

Likewise, making a blanket statement about a group because of the actions of one person can be racially motivated in and of itself.

The problem with playing the race card isn’t that you get the attention that comes along with it. The problem is that the more you take issues out of context to apply the race card, the less value is applied. It’s like the little boy who cried wolf, or the story of Chicken Little.

To his credit, Superintendent Dr. Scott Patrick has issued an apology on behalf of the district for the collective actions of the students. It was the only logical thing he could do in this no-win situation. It’s too bad it got that far.

When you incorrectly take an issue out of context and make it about race, you cheapen the point. Folks with proper context start to dismiss all claims of racism and when there is real racism exposed, it could be ignored.

It doesn’t help anyone’s cause.

Misplaying the race card doesn’t promote social justice. But it can get a person a bunch of attention.

It’s possible that social justice wasn’t the end game in this case. Maybe getting attention was.

15xtno3.jpg

Whitey says there's nothing to see here everything is all white.. Also stop using the "race card" only the white man who invented it is allowed to use it & benefit from it...
  • stringer bell
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9jfl5QCpBg

Before any of you ? can come in here to tap.. Here's your ? Gawd Jason Coonlock with some talking points for you to regurgitate...
  • So ILL
    So ILL Members Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Don't apologize, they didn't learn their way of thinking from nowhere. They're just salty that they can't beat Center, they got dubbed in their first meeting and went on to lose the second game where this ? happened lol.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    http://www.dailystarjournal.com/opinion/context-trumps-racist-perception/article_4427056e-b3ca-52ac-a3b7-57107bf681d2.html
    Context trumps racist perception

By Joe Warren

Context.

It’s not a hard word to understand or even a difficult word to spell, but it sure can be hard to find.

For instance, at the Warrensburg High School basketball game against Center High School on Monday there were a couple of instances that led to an issue being blown completely out of proportion.

News trucks came down from Kansas City – must have been a slow news day – and a community and school district officials were forced to defend themselves simply because someone was either unable or unwilling to understand context.

The student section during Monday’s game decided to turn around and face away from the court when the visiting team was announced. There was also a single Trump-Pence sign in the crowd.

Let’s address each of these points, because they unequivocally are not related.

First, it is common for student sections in high schools and colleges to take collective actions during the introduction of visiting players.

Back in my day students in the student section at basketball games used to hold up newspapers during visiting player introductions as a form of intimidation or disrespect. It is definitely not a respectful action and I’m not arguing that it’s necessarily the right thing to do. But it’s also a common practice for student sections to turn their backs toward the court during visiting player introductions.

It’s not meant as a racist act. Student sections have been showing disrespect to visiting players of all races for as long as I can remember.

There’s the proper context. The students turning their backs on Center High School was not an act of racism. I am confident saying that.

Now, again, context is everything.

There are real race issues in this world. Unfortunately, racism isn’t absent in this society.

If the student holding the Trump-Pence sign meant it as a statement about race, then it should be dealt with accordingly. I’m not going to even attempt to defend the (potentially) indefensible.

One thing to consider is that Donald Trump and his running mate Mike Pence did receive 64 percent of the vote in Johnson County. Trump did get elected and will be our next president. Likewise, Pence is going to be the vice president. Simply supporting them is not necessarily a measure of racism.

Now, it’s my guess that a visiting parent (maybe a couple parents, I don’t really know the details and it’s really not that pertinent) called the television stations in Kansas City, put it on their social media accounts and got quite a bit of attention. They also managed to cast a negative light on a good community simply because they failed to understand context.

The reason it was blown out of proportion wasn’t because racism isn’t a huge issue. It is. But for one person to call all of Warrensburg racist because of one sign held by one high school student is exactly the type of generalization that allows racism to foster in this society.

Calling a group of people racist because they support Donald Trump is borne of the same ignorance that allows racism to prosper.

Likewise, making a blanket statement about a group because of the actions of one person can be racially motivated in and of itself.

The problem with playing the race card isn’t that you get the attention that comes along with it. The problem is that the more you take issues out of context to apply the race card, the less value is applied. It’s like the little boy who cried wolf, or the story of Chicken Little.

To his credit, Superintendent Dr. Scott Patrick has issued an apology on behalf of the district for the collective actions of the students. It was the only logical thing he could do in this no-win situation. It’s too bad it got that far.

When you incorrectly take an issue out of context and make it about race, you cheapen the point. Folks with proper context start to dismiss all claims of racism and when there is real racism exposed, it could be ignored.

It doesn’t help anyone’s cause.

Misplaying the race card doesn’t promote social justice. But it can get a person a bunch of attention.

It’s possible that social justice wasn’t the end game in this case. Maybe getting attention was.

15xtno3.jpg

Whitey says there's nothing to see here everything is all white.. Also stop using the "race card" only the white man who invented it is allowed to use it & benefit from it...

Do they do that when they play other teams, particularly the ones that aren't mostly black? If not, this dude can shut his ass up.
  • grYmes
    grYmes Members Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Gonna be a lot of stories coming out the mid west next year about civil unrest in these high schools.
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options

Before any of you ? can come in here to tap.. Here's your ? Gawd Jason Coonlock with some talking points for you to regurgitate...

The whole panel was looking at Whitlock like "This dude can't be serious"
  • blackamerica
    blackamerica Members Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »

You know it's bad when non black ppl respond to his coonery like "wtf"
  • 1CK1S
    1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »

You know it's bad when non black ppl respond to his coonery like "wtf"

Actually I mess with Nick Wright. He was standing up for Kap when no other white person did.
  • SneakDZA
    SneakDZA Members Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LMAO @ them dressed like they're in a damn rodeo.
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Trillfate wrote: »
    8 years of this....

Fixed it for you
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They turned their backs on the visiting team? Why is that a problem? Anyone who has played organized sports already knows the home crowd always use to do silly ? to try to get the opposing team off their game.

Nothing to see here.
  • marc123
    marc123 Members Posts: 16,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • gns
    gns Members Posts: 21,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

When negros ? like this do they get to be an honorary white person or something
    U know like the "familiars" in blade wanted be vampires.
    preview.jpg
  • 5onblackhandside
    5onblackhandside Members Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    dem cacs turning dey back wouldnt have fazed me

bet the media wished a fight broke out because of this
  • NothingButTheTruth
    Options

Jason was actually on point for once, just watched this.

Ain't ? wrong with holding up a sign of the president-elect. If certain people are in their feelings, that's on them.
  • Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    b1yv9fn9zzov.png
    Yep. I think this is needed here.
  • Ghostdenithegawd
    Ghostdenithegawd Members Posts: 16,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Ain't ? wrong with holding up a sign of the president-elect. If certain people are in their feelings, that's on them.

They use the sign to openly say underhanded ? foh they use it as a ? you mugger sign the ? wrong with you
  • NothingButTheTruth
    Options

They use the sign to openly say underhanded ? foh they use it as a ? you mugger sign the ? wrong with you

I don't assume anything, I refuse to be led by the media and emotions. I'm not a ? ass ? and never will be. I don't have time to play their or your little games. I'm way above this cold war between the democrat slaves and republican slaves.

Trump is the new POTUS, so holding up his sign is perfectly acceptable. I see right through all you guys with your fake outrage narrative. Ol' gossip ass ? , with no real action. Let me know when you're ready to stop complaining about your little nuances and ready to start building.
  • stringer bell
    Options

I don't assume anything, I refuse to be led by the media and emotions. I'm not a ? ass ? and never will be. I don't have time to play their or your little games. I'm way above this cold war between the democrat slaves and republican slaves.

Trump is the new POTUS, so holding up his sign is perfectly acceptable. I see right through all you guys with your fake outrage narrative. Ol' gossip ass ? , with no real action. Let me know when you're ready to stop complaining about your little nuances and ready to start building.
    According to you:

-Ray Lewis is a respectable man and couldn't be a ?
    -Lil Wayne wasn't wrong for his ? azz interview dissing BLM. Just has a "different opinion"
    -Stephen A Smith just speaks his opinion and really isn't a ?

? all you do is tap dance

damn-o.gif
  • NothingButTheTruth
    Options

According to you:

-Ray Lewis is a respectable man and couldn't be a ?
    -Lil Wayne wasn't wrong for his ? azz interview dissing BLM. Just has a "different opinion"
    -Stephen A Smith just speaks his opinion and really isn't a ?

? all you do is tap dance

Ray Lewis is respectable. Instead of calling other black people out of their name, he's putting in work. He has an actual program in his city that's helping out our young people and lost ones. His difference in opinion on how black people should solve their problems does not change that. I'm open-minded enough to know we are not a one-track mind as a community.

Lil Wayne was not wrong for dissing BLM, he was clearly in his feelings because they asked him about his daughter being called a ? and a ? based on the words he uses in his songs. Then we have the fact that BLM is funded by old white men and was created by ? . I also do not support BLM, as that is not our movement.

Stephen A is providing a different perspective, the perspective of the upper middle class, generation x crowd. He isn't saying anything new, but it is important that we hear him out as they have a lot of the wealth in our community. If we organize with them we can create another black wallstreet. Stephen A is willing to help our cause, and has always been willing to (and already is). He just takes himself too serious and sees himself as some sort of a sacrificial lamb who's willing to filter his message to the black masses in order to help them progress.

Anyone else....

My breakdown of you and the rest of these false narrative sheep is you are pawns. Your talking points are not your own, but simply repeated and rephrased. You are pure toxic to our community and are nothing more than fodder. Your whole existence is that of a follower. You are miserable and want the rest of our community to be miserable with you. You reject any and all progress under the false action of complaining and whining about anyone who doesn't agree with you. You think we should all follow your same ideology, yet you have no credentials. no status and nothing to show for it. In order for black people in America to thrive, the "? " must die. And you and everything you represent is the very essence of the "? ".
  • Allah_U_Akbar
    Allah_U_Akbar Members Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Those peckerwoods wouldn't have held up a Trump sign if it was a bunch of white kids on the opposing team, you ? idiot.

Go hang yourself