Future Questions Jay-Z and Reasonable Doubt Status in Hip Hop

Options

Comments

• rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Btw future is not the rapper I would go to for reviews on a LYRICAL rappers album...I will however Holla at him when T-Pain, kanye or that panda ? drop some ?

There is a video of him rapping in intelligible wordings... and not mumbling before the fame...

Wasn't or isn't Future an affiliate with the Dungeon Family? I wouldn't label that guy a substandard lyricist..
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    http://news.hiphopearly.com/future-argues-jay-zs-reasonable-doubt-wasnt-hot-until-biggie-pac-died/

Future talking about when nas dropped his first album then mentions "If I ruled the world" calling it when i ruled the world, which wasn't even on illmatic. ? outta here Future Luther Queen. He don't even know what he talking about.

Wait wait wait

Did he really say that?
  • Shizlansky
    Options
    rip.dilla wrote: »
    Btw future is not the rapper I would go to for reviews on a LYRICAL rappers album...I will however Holla at him when T-Pain, kanye or that panda ? drop some ?

There is a video of him rapping in intelligible wordings... and not mumbling before the fame...

Wasn't or isn't Future an affiliate with the Dungeon Family? I wouldn't label that guy a substandard lyricist..

His own lyrics label him a substandard lyricist.
  • P. Town
    P. Town Members Posts: 27,306 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I literally only hear about this in regards to Jay.

This argument isn't made for Pac and 2Pacalypse now or how DMX was one of the hottest rappers in the game in 98-99 despite trying to get on since 91. Nobody says anything about Wayne pre Carter I or even with Em and Infinite.

"See that was different"

When it's yo time it's yo time and that has nothing to do with anybody else.

But who has ever called Tha Block is Hot or Lights Out a classic? Most his fans don't even know them his albums. You comparing somebody like DMX trying to get on since '91 to Jay dropping his debut and nobody caring. When X finally dropped his debut it was a success, so much a success that he dropped another one the same year.
  • Shizlansky
    Options
    Lights out go hard
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    Breezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    P. Town wrote: »
    I literally only hear about this in regards to Jay.

This argument isn't made for Pac and 2Pacalypse now or how DMX was one of the hottest rappers in the game in 98-99 despite trying to get on since 91. Nobody says anything about Wayne pre Carter I or even with Em and Infinite.

"See that was different"

When it's yo time it's yo time and that has nothing to do with anybody else.

But who has ever called Tha Block is Hot or Lights Out a classic? Most his fans don't even know them his albums. You comparing somebody like DMX trying to get on since '91 to Jay dropping his debut and nobody caring. When X finally dropped his debut it was a success, so much a success that he dropped another one the same year.

Oh ok so the fact that it's considered a classic is what yall have problem with?
    That's a dumb argument.

As far as Wayne "fans" that's their fault.

How? The argument is the same. Big and Pac were long gone when X dropped so I guess that's only reason he was successful because he couldn't even get play when they were alive.
  • raheemclassick
    raheemclassick Members Posts: 461 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    _Goldie_ wrote: »
    I need to hear what he said exactly, that video doesn't show it. But from what they're saying , Future said what everybody says and knows: RD wasn't deemed a masterpiece when it was first released and Jay-z didn't become the "king" until after Pac n Big were killed.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVFTFS0BGo0
  • raheemclassick
    Options
    I need to hear what he said exactly, that video doesn't show it. But from what they're saying , Future said what everybody says and knows: RD wasn't deemed a masterpiece when it was first released and Jay-z didn't become the "king" until after Pac n Big were killed.

This statement is such ? . Why ? act like Jay had been in the game 10 years, dropped 4/5 albums prior to Big and Pac dying and didn't make any noise until they died.

Technically Jay was in the game before both Pac and Big, but I digress. Within the conversation they were having , there's nothing wrong with what he said.

RD drop with no fanfare in June, and then 3 months later it went Gold, the same month pac passed"
    That's the torch being passed. (Certified, Bonafide, Undisputed Classic!!!)
  • raheemclassick
    Options
    Sion wrote: »
    but is Future qualified to make that assertion? l,ao shout out to Beans

It's something we all know tho he's just restating it. It's the JayHova witnesses who have a problem with it because it's Future.

Jay said the same thing in the Breakfast club and Cipha Sound interview. He said he remembers RD selling 10k in his first week in both his book and the cipha interview and he and Dame were happy af that ten thousand people bought it and new of him. He said that gave them the motivation they could reach more.

It was graded 4 mics and after I think his third album they redid it and gave him 5 mics. Future is being taken out of context - give albums time to age. Conversely let's not call everything that drops a classic. I respect it.

Forget the first week, RD drop with no fanfare in June, and then 3 months later it went Gold, the same month pac passed"
  • raheemclassick
    Options
    So because the album wasn't an instant "classic", that means it can't grow to be one?? Maybe it was a result of so much classic music at the time that it was overlooked. Maybe it's an album that has aged well. The fact that something wasn't recognized as great the time it came out is insignificant. It's a classic in the same way Van Goghs art became classic over time

Absolutely"
    RD drop with no fanfare in June, and then 3 months later it went Gold"

• raheemclassick
    edited December 2016
    Options
    future is hating, just like some of y'all goofs" (Just Using Raekwon For An Example)
    Raekwon is known for being A member of the Multi Platinum Rap Group The Wu-Tang Clan, which also means he may be popular all over the country.

Raekwon dropped, Only Built For Cuban Linx on August 1, 1995, and it went Gold October 2, 1995,
    That's good for your first album in the 90's, I believe Fan's & Consumers consider this album a classic"

Raekwon released his second album, Immobilarity in 1999, which also went Gold.

Jay Z is know from doing collaborations with jaz o, Original Flavor, and performing at Big Daddy Kane shows, which may mean he was not that know at that time.

Jay Z dropped Reasonable Doubts on June 1, 1996 and it went Gold on September 18, 1996, That's good for your first album in the 90's" I believe Fan's & Consumers consider this album a classic"

Then after Jay Z garnered some success in the Hip Hop game, pushing some people to revisited some of his older work, particularly Reasonable Doubts on February 7, 2002 it went Platinum"
    The only reason it didn't go Platinum early on, is because of the E vs.W so called beef. < My Opinion.

Jay Z released his second album, In My Lifetime, Vol. 1 in 1997, it went Platinum"
    Pac died in 1996/ Big died in 1997, Jay Z was already on his way.

Remember the Fan's & Consumers are the one's who will determine how long of a career you have"
    A whole host of other 90's Rappers have had the chance to have a long prosperous career, it only happens for the special one's,
    You don't have to congratulate, but you should stop the hate, it will make you feel better.
  • BedStuy
    BedStuy Members Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    smh

? emotional ?
  • MECCA1000
    MECCA1000 Members Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

This statement is such ? . Why ? act like Jay had been in the game 10 years, dropped 4/5 albums prior to Big and Pac dying and didn't make any noise until they died.

Technically Jay was in the game before both Pac and Big, but I digress. Within the conversation they were having , there's nothing wrong with what he said.

RD drop with no fanfare in June, and then 3 months later it went Gold, the same month pac passed"

Bruh, where you getting your info from? RD dropped on the 25th of June and didn't go gold until sometime in 1997
  • raheemclassick
    Options
    BedStuy wrote: »
    Y'all heard about that guy who called his mother a ? emotional ? "
    Yeah I also think he extra ? made to.

• StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    Not surprised the outta touch posters are the ones that making this more than it is
  • raheemclassick
    Options
    MECCA1000 wrote: »
    Bruh, where you getting your info from? RD dropped on the 25th of June and didn't go gold until sometime in 1997
    http://www.riaa.com/gold-platinum/?tab_active=default-award&ar=JAY+Z&ti=REASONABLE+DOUBT
    and then click more details"
  • emanuel08
    emanuel08 Members Posts: 515 ✭✭✭
    Options
    aneed123 wrote: »
    He told the truth. Outside of ny Jay ain't get popular til 98 when hard knock life Annie sing dropped. When pac said ? Jay z other regions listened . Also the fast rap camp lo style wasn't tight to a lot of folk

So you south ? was like "? Dead Presidents and Can't Knock the Hustle but this Annie sample we just can't resist."

Idris-Elba.gif

dead presidents was dope but he wasnt big in 96 . no pun intended lol
  • ericb4prez
    ericb4prez Members Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    MECCA1000 wrote: »

? really no signed this post lol he sold 420,000 in 96
  • Cutler 26 INT's LOL!
    Cutler 26 INT's LOL! Members Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I knew who Jay was in 96 due to Aint No ? but that song was promoting the Nutty Professor soundtrack.

I copped Reasonable Doubt in 2003
  • AP21
    AP21 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 17,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I knew who Jay was in 96 due to Aint No ? but that song was promoting the Nutty Professor soundtrack.

this

idk why dudes here act like this isnt a plausible reason for not knowing about jay back then
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    AP21 wrote: »

this

idk why dudes here act like this isnt a plausible reason for not knowing about jay back then

Cuz new York ? arrogant. How dare u not like reasonable doubt... the same way many southern legends went really known there...
  • GetoBoy
    GetoBoy Members Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    So instead of Jay becoming known in 96 he was known in 97 round his second album.... All this over one year??? I'm still waiting on somebody to break down what's the point of bringing that up or what does it matter becuz I've yet to hear one person say Jay was as big as PAC Big Wu Nas Snoop in 96 so what's problem.... All I've heard from ppl is Jay was known and RD was dope out the gate what's the issue