Do You Feel Record Labels Have The Right To Withhold A Artist Music

Options
TayGettem
TayGettem Members Posts: 6,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2016 in The Reason
This thread mainly stems from the Ab Soul brick thread. Now alot of people on the i.c complained when Top wouldn't drop Souls project. So he did and now it's bricking like shaq shooting 3's. Now from a business stand point that means the label is losing money....so maybe the reason top didn't wanna drop souls ? is cause he knew soul isn't a mainstream money maker like Kendrick and is more of a underground artist. Maybe that's why he didn't promo it so heavily. I mean we often see artist blame there labels but a label is a business trying to make money. So why would they promo and release a artist ? if they have a feeling it's gonna flop. Tyga was complaing that baby wouldn't drop his ? but his last project went fckin wood so can u really blame birdman....all I'm saying is when do we stop blaming the label and look at the artist. I mean ? make excuses for soul brickin but not for tyga brickin. I mean can u really blame def jam for not pushing Krit when Krit isn't a hit maker? Don't get me wrong I'm all for a artist having a great body of work. But if u wanna sell u need hits. So when it comes down to it whose really at fault the label for not pushing the artist more when it's kinda clear the artist ain't a hit maker or the artist for not being able to make hits in between a great body of work? Discuss

Do You Feel Record Labels Have The Right To Withhold A Artist Music 4 votes

Yes It's Wrong For The Label Not To Push A Artist Regardless Of There Earning Potential
0%
No There Not Wrong If The Artist Isn't A Money Maker
100%
Bcotton5L3NUCashmoneyDuxTsotsi Cape Town 4 votes

Comments

• TayGettem
    Options
    Labels can do whatever they want to after the artist signs the contract

Which is why Wayne in this situation now
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I could be wrong cause I don't know much at all in regards to the inner workings of a artist and the label their signed to.

But if the label paid up front for all the studio time and beats that the artist used in making said album then yes they have a right to withhold said music.

At the same time I feel the artist as well. Just release the ? . The label not making any money period if they never release it. Even if the album sales 10K even though it might not be close to what they paid out for the artist to make it at least they made some chump change back and not a 100% total loss.

Besides that with payola still in effect a label can basically make damn near any song a hit just by getting a song enough spins.
  • genocidecutter
    genocidecutter Members Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    T/s considers Tech N9ne wack but 21 Savage good pay him no attention.
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

^^^He just explained it.

However, I think the artist should be able to sue the label for breach of contract. If the artist completes an album and the label won't release it then the artist has no means of making a living.

But if the label gave the artist $100,000 cash advance and the artist spent it all on jewelry and champagne then the artist is just a fool.
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

This. Its up to the artist to understand what they are signing and everything it signs them up for. Unfortunately a majority of artists are young kids and all they hear is if you sign this, we give you X amount of dollars. That advance usually dries up pretty quick and if the album doesnt recoup the money, you're ? .
  • TayGettem
    Options
    T/s considers Tech N9ne wack but 21 Savage good pay him no attention.

@genocidecutter u a punk ? and dk ? abt my taste in music lol I like 3 songs from 21 doesn't make me a fan or mean I think he's good. U listen to i.c.p u ain't got no room to talk cuz everybody on here think they trash and u know it
  • _Goldie_
    _Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
    Options
    Absoul doesn't make music that appeals to the casual fan. ? 's prolly a nightmare trying to market that ? .
  • TayGettem
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Also I can't get no ? off tech 9 but can off migos foh u damn ?
  • Tsotsi Cape Town
    Tsotsi Cape Town Members Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No There Not Wrong If The Artist Isn't A Money Maker
    The problem with this album was it was a real strong concept album. If he did a part record (recruited Q or Mac Miller) etc etc it might have been real out of place on the album. Or the record might have been whack (see Twact). I'm not doubting Souls ability to craft a hit at all.
  • TayGettem
    Options
    The problem with this album was it was a real strong concept album. If he did a part record (recruited Q or Mac Miller) etc etc it might have been real out of place on the album. Or the record might have been whack (see Twact). I'm not doubting Souls ability to craft a hit at all.

I feel.ya but just to be clear I'm talking artist in general not just soul. ? Lipe was having problems with his label to till he dropped the "Show Goes On" track
  • achewon87
    achewon87 Members Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Music recording contracts are full of language that the average person would have trouble deciphering...

That said if you signed a contract that allows them control then unfortunately you have to play their game and that might leave you in a bad situation where you like the album but the label needs something more pop sounding cause they want to get paid...

Mind you record labels are not as good as they used to be, there are no more A&R's and they have always been terrible at identifying and pushing certain rap artist...

According to a billboard poll of music execs, Hip-Hop is the most hated genre by music execs due to not being able to create a formula and box the audience in to take our money; is my suspicion...