Hiphop is dead-A Decade Later

Options
genocidecutter
genocidecutter Members Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
51usHqm3%2BdL.jpg

Hip Hop Is Dead is the eighth studio album by American rapper Nas, released December 19, 2006 on Def Jam Recordings. His first album for the label, it was co-financed by Nas's previous label, Columbia Records, which once distributed for Def Jam. The album's title was inspired by Nas's view of the music industry and the state of hip hop music at the time.

The album debuted at number one on the U.S. Billboard 200 chart, selling 355,880 copies in its first week. His fourth U.S. number-one album, it had sold 764,000 copies by November 2008, eventually over time it went platinum by the RIAA. Upon its release, Hip Hop Is Dead received generally positive reviews from most music critics. Hip Hop Is Dead was nominated for a Grammy Award for Best Rap Album, ultimately losing to Kanye West's Graduation at the 50th Grammy Awards

1. "Money Over ? " L.E.S., Wyldfyer 4:16
2. "You Can't ? Me" L.E.S., Al West 3:14
3. "Carry on Tradition" Scott Storch 3:49
4. "Where Are They Now" Nas, Salaam Remi 2:44
5. "Hip Hop Is Dead" (featuring will.i.am) will.i.am 3:45
6. "Who Killed It?" Salaam Remi, will.i.am 3:10
7. "Black Republican" (featuring Jay-Z) L.E.S., Wyldfyer 3:45
8. "Not Going Back" (featuring Kelis) Stargate 4:09
9. "Still Dreaming" (featuring Kanye West & Chrisette Michele) Kanye West 3:37
10. "Hold Down the Block" Mark Batson 3:58
11. "Blunt Ashes" Chris Webber 4:03
12. "Let There Be Light" (featuring Tre Williams) Kanye West, Devo Springsteen*, Paul Cho* 4:28
13. "Play on Playa" (featuring Snoop Dogg) Scott Storch 3:33
14. "Can't Forget About You" (featuring Chrisette Michele) will.i.am 4:34
15. "Hustlers" (featuring Game & Marsha Ambrosius) Dr. Dre 4:06
16. "Hope" (featuring Chrisette Michele) L.E.S., Nas, Alexander "Spanador" Mosely 3:05
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxnHwxalZKY

Comments

• illedout
    illedout Members Posts: 8,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Solid album,
    I still let it play all the way through..
  • TheGOAT
    TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I still plan on getting my ashes turned into diamonds because this album

Baller ?

http://www.lifegem.com/
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
  • Fosheezy
    Fosheezy Members Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Still think the album would have been more successful if called Hip Hop is Alive and the song selection was based on that outlook. You can't inspire ppl with negativity.
  • grYmes
    grYmes Members Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Fosheezy wrote: »
    Still think the album would have been more successful if called Hip Hop is Alive and the song selection was based on that outlook. You can't inspire ppl with negativity.

Can't always make music that pleases everyone. I don't think he set out to go 5x plat with this.
  • onetoughmiracle
    onetoughmiracle Members Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This album has never left the car
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Outside of all that this was a great bounce back after his worst album Streets disciple, it was the first we heard Jay and Nas on a track together not counting that Lord Tariq track (which is a classic in itself), also Nas was responsible for one of the most underrated moments in hip hop history with the west coast, east coast and 80's remix of where are they now

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Xwo6wV8oZY4

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J1nJzRKzWiQ

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FVOVz8BSaYU
  • Fosheezy
    Fosheezy Members Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Sion wrote: »
    A lot of people were ? off and sent mad subliminals at NaS LOLOLOL

He wasn't lying tho and he sparked a conversation that needed to be had. Some of the ? going on needed to be addressed.
    Nas sent subliminals at Jezzy too on the album but I don't ever remember nobody talking about it for some reason.
  • BobOblah
    BobOblah Members Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Great album, mid tier in Nas catalog
  • Neophyte Wolfgang
    Neophyte Wolfgang Members Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hip Hop is not dead, people need so shut up and find the music that fits their lane. With the internet that is quite easy. If you don't like mumble rap, drill, or pop turn off the radios and look for your music online or there an app. Tired of you phony philosophical ? complaining about music like its limited to one genre. ? want to change the world through the ego instead of doing the Great Work....smh
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I liked the album a lot. I loved all the drama this album caused. Haven't listened to it in a long time though, gonna have to get this again.
  • manofmorehouse
    manofmorehouse Members Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hip Hop is not dead, people need so shut up and find the music that fits their lane. With the internet that is quite easy. If you don't like mumble rap, drill, or pop turn off the radios and look for your music online or there an app. Tired of you phony philosophical ? complaining about music like its limited to one genre. ? want to change the world through the ego instead of doing the Great Work....smh

The fact that if you don't want to listen to short bus rappers on the radio and have to go online to hear rappers that atleast sounds like they have half a brain cell, just proved one of nas points.

Who really listens to the radio for dope music anymore?? On topic, this album was cool. Haven't heard it since the year it came out
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The fact that if you don't want to listen to short bus rappers on the radio and have to go online to hear rappers that atleast sounds like they have half a brain cell, just proved one of nas points.

I cosigned you.

However, back in the 80s daytime/top 40 radio didn't play real Hip Hop. They played commercial rap like It Takes Two by Rob Base, Push It by Salt N Pepa, Walk This Way by Run DMC, I Need Love by LL Cool J and U Can't Touch This by MC Hammer.

In Boston if you wanted to hear "real Hip Hop" (Eric B and Rakim, Public Enemy, Boogie Down Productions, Kool G Rap and DJ Polo, NWA, Schooly D, Just Ice, Dougie Fresh, Stetsasonic, etc. ) you had to stay up on the weekends and listen to the college radio shows. There's a lot of colleges in Boston so there was usually a rap show on Friday night and another rap show on Saturday night. The thing is the college stations changed their schedule every semester so you had to keep up with what station was doing what (which wasn't that difficult, all you had to do is call the station and ask what time is their rap show).
  • achewon87
    achewon87 Members Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    When Nas released Hip Hop Is Dead 10 years ago to the day, he had a lot to say: the power that rappers held was dead, America was on its deathbed, and hip hop was the shining light that could help rebuild the country. The title alone threw some in a frenzy while others couldn’t agree more. The combination of the mixed reactions would lead to Nas’ fourth #1 album in the states.

So in a new video series that we’ve partnered with Google Play Music to create, we headed back into the studio with Esco to cover four aspects of this controversial album: the title, the lead single, the collaboration with Jay Z, and its place in hip hop history. For the first section, Nas shares the inspiration he took from De La Soul’s second album De La Soul is Dead. And although Nas states that his album title was not accurate, he still believes that it was a good starting place.

https://youtu.be/zsnRiRLoyxk
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Who really listens to the radio for dope music anymore??

if youre signed on to a forum, nobody maybe but I watched kendrick, cole,and drake just be underground rappers but become stars and the faces of the genre once they got they radioplay. is the radio still as impactful as it was back in the 90s, maybe not but it still has that impact that will give you that national and international push to the casuals and others
  • Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5th Letter wrote: »
    This album title had the south in their feelings.

man there wasn't any body down here thinking about this . why are you up north ? always so concerned with the south?
  • hiphop12345
    hiphop12345 Members Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5th Letter wrote: »
    This album title had the south in their feelings.

man there wasn't any body down here thinking about this . why are you up north ? always so concerned with the south?

That's not true. There were even hermaphrodites in the south in their feelings.