Future Questions Jay-Z and Reasonable Doubt Status in Hip Hop

Options
1235»

Comments

• a_list
    a_list Members Posts: 4,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    RD was released 20 years ago, went gold in a matter of months and had a couple of gold singles.....Good for a ? on Rocafella/Freeze records....U ? kno that popularity doesnt define quality....Was rocking RD early and prolly calling it a classic not too long after its release.....So it had to be an instant classic?...lol

• international
    international Members Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    RD sales wise flopped, and it ain´t have the impact Jay wanted, later on when in a position to use his celebrity, is when Jay started forcing this rhetoric down ppls throat, that the album was a classic and liken it to illmatic and the other classic albums of the era, telling ? they were sleepin, nah, it just didnt have that impact at the time, cuz it wasn´t ? with what was out at the time, ? couldn´t survive at that time, point blank!
  • Ether44mag
    Ether44mag Members Posts: 890 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    you got clowns now and you had clowns back in the days too! real hip hop heads knew about jay and reasonable doubt Biggie and Foxy where on the ? album! AZ and Biggie and Lil cease were in the video playin monopoly with real money first time we ever saw that ? in a video what the ? were ya'll clowns listening too ? hahaha

and he had 4 mics in the source ,just because some people only knew what was poppin on comercial radio ,dont mean he was nobody ! fact is ,In my lifetime had a big hype but it dissapointed,so he made Streets Is Watching ,got hot again and blew up big time on vol.2 by that time Reasonable doubt was already considered a classic
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    shieeet ? went Gold independent so they caked off compared to those other names he's compared to
  • blackamerica
    blackamerica Members Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    http://news.hiphopearly.com/future-argues-jay-zs-reasonable-doubt-wasnt-hot-until-biggie-pac-died/

Future talking about when nas dropped his first album then mentions "If I ruled the world" calling it when i ruled the world, which wasn't even on illmatic. ? outta here Future Luther Queen. He don't even know what he talking about.
    Yep caught that too. These trap auto tune rappers need to stay the ? outta hiphop debates. Future is good at what he does. But you can sense he ain't listened to either Reasonable Doubt nor Illmatic when they came out. This ? just talking 2 sound like he know his hip hop. Next we'll be asking Soujia boy about Cool G Rap smh
  • Mr 202
    Mr 202 Members Posts: 571 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I knew who Jay was in 96 due to Aint No ? but that song was promoting the Nutty Professor soundtrack.

I copped Reasonable Doubt in 2003

How dumb are you???? Ain't no ? might have been on nutty professors sound track,Kevin liles put it on there for promotion when def jam wanted to partner up with the Roc but it's still a ? Jayzs song on reasonable doubt
    Meaning you knew Jay from Jays song.
    Smfh at the guys that consigned this ignorance
  • nawledge_god
    nawledge_god Members Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    emanuel08 wrote: »
    aneed123 wrote: »
    He told the truth. Outside of ny Jay ain't get popular til 98 when hard knock life Annie sing dropped. When pac said ? Jay z other regions listened . Also the fast rap camp lo style wasn't tight to a lot of folk

So you south ? was like "? Dead Presidents and Can't Knock the Hustle but this Annie sample we just can't resist."

Idris-Elba.gif

dead presidents was dope but he wasnt big in 96 . no pun intended lol

#Bars
  • Ether44mag
    Ether44mag Members Posts: 890 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    nawledge_? wrote: »
    emanuel08 wrote: »
    aneed123 wrote: »
    He told the truth. Outside of ny Jay ain't get popular til 98 when hard knock life Annie sing dropped. When pac said ? Jay z other regions listened . Also the fast rap camp lo style wasn't tight to a lot of folk

So you south ? was like "? Dead Presidents and Can't Knock the Hustle but this Annie sample we just can't resist."

Idris-Elba.gif

dead presidents was dope but he wasnt big in 96 . no pun intended lol

#Bars

he was big for someone with a first album on a small company..
  • J-GUTTA
    J-GUTTA Members Posts: 9,107 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    RD sales wise flopped, and it ain´t have the impact Jay wanted, later on when in a position to use his celebrity, is when Jay started forcing this rhetoric down ppls throat, that the album was a classic and liken it to illmatic and the other classic albums of the era, telling ? they were sleepin, nah, it just didnt have that impact at the time, cuz it wasn´t ? with what was out at the time, ? couldn´t survive at that time, point blank!

You killed your own argument with the Illmatic comparison. Illmatic sold under 15 k it's first week. It did not go plat until damn near 10 years. The difference was Nas was an M.C.with a build up who delivered with an undeniable classic. Jay came back with a new style and a very good album. ? Jay even says he didn't know how to structure a song when he did RD. He was not yelling classic and yall slept ? he was suppose to retire after volume 1. But best believe Hip Hop heads were talking about the album. Being a Hip Hop head was not the norm as it is today. ? you couldn't hear Hip Hop in a club until damn near 3 A.M.some nights.
  • raheemclassick
    raheemclassick Members Posts: 461 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    shieeet ? went Gold independent so they caked off compared to those other names he's compared to

What's the position you hold? Can you really match
    a triple platinum artist buck by buck by only a single goin gold?

? - all struck
    Your single was 99 cents, mines was 4 bucks
    Last year, when ? thought it was all up
    But this year I've done it again, jigga!
    What the ?

These are the words of a independent artist"
  • Cutler 26 INT's LOL!
    Cutler 26 INT's LOL! Members Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mr 202 wrote: »
    I knew who Jay was in 96 due to Aint No ? but that song was promoting the Nutty Professor soundtrack.

I copped Reasonable Doubt in 2003

How dumb are you???? Ain't no ? might have been on nutty professors sound track,Kevin liles put it on there for promotion when def jam wanted to partner up with the Roc but it's still a ? Jayzs song on reasonable doubt
    Meaning you knew Jay from Jays song.
    Smfh at the guys that consigned this ignorance

How dumb are you?? The argument was about Reasonable Doubt status in 96. I stated a knew who Jay-Z was but I aint know he had a album called Reasonable Doubt till 2003.

Jigga Warriors be thirsty to try and prove somebody wrong about they daddy Jay-Z