College Student Earns 4.0 GPA, Then Drops Out: "You Are Being Scammed!"

Options

Comments

• Peace_79
    Peace_79 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    We can support support changing a flawed system without being paralyzed by fact that the system is flawed.

This logic applies to more than just the education system in America .
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Not that I disagree, but freshman year has a lot of ? courses.
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

It's to weed people out. The system can't have everyone getting a degree. That's why every major has a ? hard statistics class
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    aneed123 wrote: »

It's to weed people out. The system can't have everyone getting a degree. That's why every major has a ? hard statistics class

The system ain't working cause that is a major problem right now. Damn near everyone got a degree so way too many degrees damn near no matter what its in ain't worth ? especially if its just a BA.

If it ain't a master's or higher they don't care.

BA is basically the equivalent of a high school diploma right now in the work force.
  • jetlifebih
    jetlifebih Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Mane you ain't neva lied....I even had to take a stats class disguised as a psych class to get my associates...
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    D. Morgan wrote: »

The system ain't working cause that is a major problem right now. Damn near everyone got a degree so way too many degrees damn near no matter what its in ain't worth ? especially if its just a BA.

BA is basically the equivalent of a high school diploma right now in the work force

I know this is the cool thing to say nowadays, but it's just not true.
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    I also wish more ppl took a gap year. Hell I wish I took one. I wasted my first few years in college not knowing how to apply myself and when I took time off and came back, I realized I wasn't alone.

I took 2 years off before I went. It helped immensely. I already knew ? about the world outside of college that many there didn't and it helped me weed through alot of ? people usually get caught in
  • Los216
    Los216 Members Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

BA is basically the equivalent of a high school diploma right now in the work force

Thak you. I hate seeing that. If a BA was equivalent to a HS Diploma then public school wouldn't be free. I thinkt the reason most people have that take is because the gap in what's being learned getting a HS Diploma and a BA has shrunk. Now is that on the HS or the College?
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    Los216 wrote: »
    How come there's always so much push back from the pro college people. We all know it's not for everybody. Anytime someone on here explains why college is not the option they're met with replies that sound lile ? you would hear from a recruiter.....

Also, the funniest thing is watching people continue to play the IT field card lol. That's the go to field of choice when someone wants to tell you how you're doing it wrong. Just get an IT degree and make your 80k and it's all good right? Nope. I've been in the IT field for years. It's the most competitive field out there. Stop telling people that they can flock to it and flourish. It's very cutthroat b.

Your 2ND paragraph answers your first. Sometimes people who speak against college offer either no alternative or one without much detail. Like when people just say "start a business" without detailing how many businesses fail, how much work it actually takes to not only get it up and running but maintaining it etc.
  • Los216
    Options
    The real focus should be on HS education (while it's still free).
  • mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I can't say that I disagree with much of what he said. Me and my sister have this convo every so often. We both went to college and she kept going and got a masters in Public Health. If we could gonna back and do it over, she would have stopped at her bachelors and I wouldn't have gone to college at all. For me, that time would have been better spent living abroad while working and learning a language, etc, or moving to California right out of high school instead of in my 20s.

Now there are some professions where you NEED college. Doctor, engineer, etc. But outside of those career paths, I'd tell any young kid to seriously consider whether college is right for them and to actually weigh he pros and cons.

There are certain people who need college. The kids who thrive on that sort of learning environment, who need that sort of built in networking, etc. And there are certain things that you learn in college that are not related to academics at all but are valuable just in terms of being an adult. Some people didn't learn those skills at home and have to learn them in college. I'm just not one of those people. For the most part, I feel like college was a colossal waste of time.
  • The_Jackal
    The_Jackal Members Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Free education>>>>>>>
  • Los216
    Options
    mryounggun wrote: »
    I can't say that I disagree with much of what he said. Me and my sister have this convo every so often. We both went to college and she kept going and got a masters in Public Health. If we could gonna back and do it over, she would have stopped at her bachelors and I wouldn't have gone to college at all. For me, that time would have been better spent living abroad while working and learning a language, etc, or moving to California right out of high school instead of in my 20s.

Now there are some professions where you NEED college. Doctor, engineer, etc. But outside of those career paths, I'd tell any young kid to seriously consider whether college is right for them and to actually weigh he pros and cons.

There are certain people who need college. The kids who thrive on that sort of learning environment, who need that sort of built in networking, etc. And there are certain things that you learn in college that are not related to academics at all but are valuable just in terms of being an adult. Some people didn't learn those skills at home and have to learn them in college. I'm just not one of those people. For the most part, I feel like college was a colossal waste of time.

I agree with this however I think this applies to HS even more so. I mean there are HS's only a few miles apart that will offer a vastly different educational experience. It gets worse in college because now there's money involved.
  • R0mp
    R0mp Members Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • King_sorrow
    King_sorrow Members Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Honestly only reason I'm in college right now is to mark that checkbox on hr so I can even get past the preliminary screening.

Just applied to a job at ford and literally have all the skills they desire and experience but still the automated system turned me down because I don't have a degree. I even confirmed this by sending in a fake resume with a Bach degree and walah call back.

It's unfortunate because the cost of this degree will prohibit me from getting a house or making any other life investments until at least my mid 30's all for what so I can still make close or less than what my mans make at GM CHRYSLER OR FORD?

Oh and people need to stop spouting the it Kool aid only way you graduating with a 100k job is in Silicon Valley and COL there is ridiculous making it about 40-60 any where else.
  • (Nope)
    (Nope) Members Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Peace_79 wrote: »
    We can support support changing a flawed system without being paralyzed by fact that the system is flawed.

This logic applies to more than just the education system in America .

Yeah, but Killary is the same as Trump.

I don't need some feminine college for simpletons, I got Reddit.
  • spit_fiya
    spit_fiya Members Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I think the problem is that people are so focused on going to their "dream" private/Ivy League school, which costs 40+ thousand dollars a semester instead of choosing the public school that is much cheaper.

Doesn't matter how you slice it...unless you're IT, a degree is needed. I left out IT because Certs hold more weight than a degree in the IT world.

One thing that the parents should do is pull their child out of college if their GPA is less than a 2.5 after their 1st year...that's a clear indicator that they're not ready.
  • jetlifebih
    jetlifebih Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    We should emphasize trades just as much as school even though there are issues with unions and getting training and such
  • EmM HoLLa.
    EmM HoLLa. Members Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sion wrote: »
    It's not the quality of the school that counts it's the quality of the education you get. And you don't have to go to an ivy league school to get an amazing education that will take you far and make you incredibly successful.

And black people, we need to stop bashing post secondary education. There are a lot of positive stories of people who did go to college, got a degree and did get jobs. The problem is when people rely entirely on a degree as opposed to developing their natural talents in their field of interest. Whether it's music, art, medicine, engineering or business.

Facts.. Just showing up and getting a degree doesn't guarantee a damn thing.. School is a tool... You must use it as such..
  • rapmusic
    rapmusic Members Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Los216 wrote: »

Thak you. I hate seeing that. If a BA was equivalent to a HS Diploma then public school wouldn't be free. I thinkt the reason most people have that take is because the gap in what's being learned getting a HS Diploma and a BA has shrunk. Now is that on the HS or the College?
    Yeah that'll scare TF out of a person going to get a bachelors. If my degree ain't worth more than my hs diploma why am I wasting my money? People just be scared to move in order to get a job. I was one of them. My city ain't have ? in my field(Augusta Ga) but Charlotte had plenty of job offers for me and now I'm here. Can't be scared to leave where you are to get a job.. Somebody is begging to hire people in your career field.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    For the foreign or traveling posters:
    Is hatred of education (all levels) the same in countries you're from or have visited?

Im on the verge of saying this ? is an American phenomenon. Everyone wants to be well off but nobody wants to read or study or plan etc
  • mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    @jono I got questions for you, bro.

1. Who are these people who hate education? I've never heard anyone say or allude to that.

2. Who are these people who want to be well-off but don't want to plan, read and study?

And let's exclude overly ignorantt hood ? who we all know don't know any bettter on some '? ? all that reading? Your shorty can't eat no books, man!' ? .
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    mryounggun wrote: »
    @jono I got questions for you, bro.

1. Who are these people who hate education? I've never heard anyone say or allude to that.

2. Who are these people who want to be well-off but don't want to plan, read and study?

And let's exclude overly ignorant hood ? who we all know don't know any better on some '? ? all that reading? Your shorty can't eat no books, man!'.

In addition to the ignorant hood ? you have plenty of white folks too, including those in government.

Those who want to destroy public education for starters. I just made a thread a week or so ago about the State of Michigan feeling like they are not required to guarantee literacy to their students. States like Texas that manipulate history books.

Surely we don't think these people like education?

How many politicians have run (nationally) on the concept of destroying the Dept of Education? The people who push for charter schools (which is just a cash grab not about education quality), school closings, standardized testing measures etc.

The United States has become increasingly more anti-science, anti-intellectual and operated by retards. Hence my question.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    it's easy to drop out when your skin color won't have a direct bearing in how people view you.

a white exercising white privilege..

an he don't even know it