LMS Debate: Nomad vs Aggyaf: Is home schooling better than a traditional education?

Options

Comments

• 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I would assume your points would strengthen your argument
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    after the LMS debates we will do group then sexes
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    group is best outta three. teamwork will be needed heavy
  • yellowtapesport
    yellowtapesport Members Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Next topic @2stepz_ahead

Best response to social injustice and oppression currently for African Americans:
    -nonviolent demonstrations
    -Violent/aggressive protests
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    Sion wrote: »
    Next topic @2stepz_ahead

Best response to social injustice and oppression currently for African Americans:

I like the format you're proposing but let's just keep it open for both sides. Most my teammates aren't American so we're not going to be able to talk about American social issues as well as you guys.

Here's some better ones:

- can people be born naturally good or evil ?

- what is better for success - nature or nurture ? (Meaning is it better to go through adversity to be successful or should it be inherited) Each side submit a 500 word write up on either or

- is ambition something we are born with or groomed to have ?

- should stem cell research be prohibited ?

- should artificial intelligence be given rights and governed by laws ?

- should voting be mandatory ?

- should prostitution be made legal ? (Would be a GREAT topic for Boss and zzombie btw)

- create the best proposal as to how world governments can curb unemployment, decrease world hunger, and create better education in their respective countries ? (We can play around with this style)

- create the best proposal as to how and why college education should be made free universally

- are reparations the answer to healing black people around the world and ending the decades of mental slavery and discontent amongst them ?

- should people be held criminally responsible for the crimes of their ancestors ? (Spin-off)

bolded is a good ass topic.

? i might need to go in on this one
  • 2stepz_ahead
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Wait Hol up, are the winning teams still deciding topics or is it up to the judges panel now ?

Yellow we won the last two so I believe we choose the next 2 topics and you choose the side unless the judges are picking the topics now.

we going have the judges pick the topic
  • Mastery
    Mastery Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 14,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'll have my verdict up late tonight or tomorrow morning.
  • Mastery
    Options
    I'll say this has been a great debate. I have to read both sides again (3rd time). There are some inaccuracies but overall it was a great debate.
  • Bussy_Getta
    Bussy_Getta Members Posts: 37,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm giving it to nomad, he made clear points to me about his subject and why it was the right one although I didn't like how you kept up with the "the homeschooled kids will know practical everyday things that are useful in life"; that ? don't fly in college where you gotta know that dumb ? they taught you in school that isn't useful for a damn thing.

Aggy spent too much time tryin to refute nomads points than build his own up. Just my opinion tho.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    Next topic @2stepz_ahead

hmmmmm

aren't demonstrations held by blacks outside America?

I think I saw them in Paris and all the time in africa.

maybe reword it to blacks and not limit it to American blacks.
  • yellowtapesport
    Options
    Why switch the format on the last round tho????

Save them judge topics for round 2...
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options

the format is not for the next round...it's for the next debate challenge.
  • yellowtapesport
    Options

the format is not for the next round...it's for the next debate challenge.

You get what I'm saying tho..(hopefully??)
    ? been one way this whole round...

Then Lem come with some incoherent ? and ? swept the rug right from under us..
    This the last debate in this round so why switch the way topics been chose the whole time up NOW???
  • _Goldie_
    _Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
    edited December 2016
    Options
    This debate bothered me because both failed to make hard hitting points. It was alot of opinion and not a lot of facts to back your statements.

Nomad could of easily posted charts and graphs showing the success rate of homeschoolers and that the percentage of kids being homeschooled has nearly doubled in recent years.

homeschooled-2003-2007-u.s.-chart.jpg

Aggy brought up that most households wouldn't be able to afford homeschooling, however there's alot of boards and foundations that helps fund homeschooling and supplies the home with all the tools needed. Nomad didn't really do a good job at shutting that point down.

While Nomad's point became repetitive at times "YOU CAN CREATE YOUR OWN PATH" , I felt like he was atleast creating arguments and like Pico said, I feel like Aggy for the most part was just making rebuttals and not creating a case of his own on why traditional schooling is superior.

I give the slight edge to Nomad.
  • NeighborhoodNomad.
    NeighborhoodNomad. Members Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I didn't know if posting charts and links would be considered plagiarism...

I spoke about the free programs and homeschool co-ops as well. Maybe I could've elaborated more.
  • NeighborhoodNomad.
    Options
    And where the ? was my teammates?!
  • _Goldie_
    _Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
    Options
    I didn't know if posting charts and links would be considered plagiarism...

I spoke about the free programs and homeschool co-ops as well. Maybe I could've elaborated more.

? hell yea charts are acceptable, you aint see @Sion 's last debate? That ? was in this mf like

giphy.gif
  • mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Can't speak for anybody else, but the novelty of this ? wore off for me a long time again. And by that, I mean that I wasn't here to support you because I know you had this ? in the bag already. You ain't really gotta cheer Michael Jordan on, son. He's jumping from that free throw line regardless.

Make sense?
  • mryounggun
    Options

Most of em lost....

What's the overall score of this ? after this debate? Anybody keeping up with that ? besides @2stepz_ahead ?
  • NeighborhoodNomad.
    Options

Most of em lost....

Nah Sion, don't make excuses for them ? . I was even offered to join y'alls team before the opening argument. My team never showed up. Smh...
    Good ? Nomad, I'm very surprised but I understand and respect the judges decision :+1:

Thank you?
  • mryounggun
    Options
    mryounggun wrote: »

Most of em lost....

What's the overall score of this ? after this debate? Anybody keeping up with that ? besides @2stepz_ahead ?

As of now we're only up by 1

Damn, really? I thought it was tied or we were up. I remember my opponent got washed, kai was laundered, Aggy just got hit with the fluff and fold, whoever Gabi debated got put on spin cycle. That's 4 right there. So we had 9 debates already?

Guess I ain't been paying attention. Only victories I can remember from you guys are you and zombie's ? ass. I know there are more, I just don't remember. Who was @yellowtapesport debating in the first round?
  • NeighborhoodNomad.
    Options

Can't speak for anybody else, but the novelty of this ? wore off for me a long time again. And by that, I mean that I wasn't here to support you because I know you had this ? in the bag already. You ain't really gotta cheer Michael Jordan on, son. He's jumping from that free throw line regardless.

Make sense?

*Daps*
  • NeighborhoodNomad.
    edited December 2016
    Options

Most of em lost....

Damn, really? I thought it was tied or we were up. I remember my opponent got washed, kai was laundered, Aggy just got hit with the fluff and fold, whoever Gabi debated got put on spin cycle. That's 4 right there. So we had 9 debates already?

Guess I ain't been paying attention. Only victories I can remember from you guys are you and zombie's ? ass. I know there are more, I just don't remember. Who was @yellowtapesport debating in the first round?

Lemmy
  • Mastery
    Options
    My vote goes to Nomad by a hair. So...

Neither party thoroughly convinced me that their method of schooling was truly superior. I didn't particularly like the back and forth and felt you guys could have geared the conversation more towards your audience rather than eachother. It seemed you guys were trying to convince one another your stance was superior instead of your audience.

Opinion, opinion, opinions... I read a lot of them. Now let me post some facts:

* Currently there are about 2.3 million home-educated students in the United States.

* Families engaged in home-based education are not dependent on public, tax-funded resources for their children’s education. The finances associated with their homeschooling likely represent over $27 billion that American taxpayers do not have to spend, annually, since these children are not in public schools.

* Taxpayers spend an average of $11,732 per pupil in public schools, plus capital expenditures. Taxpayers spend nothing on most homeschool students and homeschool families spend an average of $600 per student for their education.

* The home-educated typically score 15 to 30 percentile points above public-school students on standardized academic achievement tests.

*A 2015 study found Black homeschool students to be scoring 23 to 42 percentile points above Black public school students.

*Home-educated students typically score above average on the SAT and ACT tests that colleges consider for admissions.

* Homeschool students are increasingly being actively recruited by colleges.

* Homeschooling gives young people an unusual chance to ask questions such as, “Who am I?” and “What do I really want?,” and through the process of such asking and gradually answering the questions home-educated kids develop the strengths and the resistance abilities that give them an unusually strong sense of self.

* The home-educated are doing well, typically above average, on measures of social, emotional, and psychological development. Research measures include peer interaction, self-concept, leadership skills, family cohesion, participation in community service, and self-esteem.

* Homeschool students are regularly engaged in social and educational activities outside their homes and with people other than their nuclear-family members. They are commonly involved in activities such as field trips, scouting, 4-H, political drives, church ministry, sports teams, and community volunteer work.

Second post coming.
  • mryounggun
    Options

Most of em lost....

Figo won his debate too. It was tie up until my debate and Paprika beating b'mor 3-0 put us up by 2.

Yellowtapesport got swept by Lemzola. 2stepz gave captain's two lives so Yellow subbed for Obfresh and got washed again.

Lol @ you throwing shots. You couldn't find another way to word that ? , my ? ?