Meek's reputation or Drake's legacy.... Which took the bigger hit???

Options

Comments

• Chi Snow
    Chi Snow Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 28,111 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »
    Lefty_ wrote: »
    Shizlansky wrote: »
    In reality the hip hop culture took the biggest L. think about it.

Not at all

Ghostwriting is at the core of hip hop.

Man hell naw. ? woulda ran you outta hip hop in the 80s and 90s if they even got a hint of somebody else pennin your rhymes.

So the fact that for decades now rappers have been open about talking about writing raps for other rappers, yet nobody has been ran out the game for it means nothing to you?
    Who?? Who are these rappers that have talked about ghostwriting for a top tier artist for years?
  • Lefty_
    Lefty_ Members, Writer Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Meek's Reputation
    blackrain wrote: »
    Lefty_ wrote: »
    Shizlansky wrote: »
    In reality the hip hop culture took the biggest L. think about it.

Not at all

Ghostwriting is at the core of hip hop.

Man hell naw. ? woulda ran you outta hip hop in the 80s and 90s if they even got a hint of somebody else pennin your rhymes.

So the fact that for decades now rappers have been open about talking about writing raps for other rappers, yet nobody has been ran out the game for it means nothing to you?

Man nobody respects them ? and you know it. If you hold any type of weight in the game at all, nobody is going to allow you to flourish as a top anything MC and ? is writin your rhymes. You woulda been on blast, and nobody was bout to be makin excuses for you.
  • soulfulcat
    soulfulcat Members Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Drake's Legacy
    Im a Drake fan, and after this beef, anytime I listen to a Drake verse I gotta question who wrote it
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Y'all hate that man so bad u taking away credit .... it's sad. In the real world he the most popular rapper. Nothing u say or no straw argument u say will change that.
  • Lefty_
    Options
    Meek's Reputation
    Last time I seen ya'll hero he was fallin down the steps.
  • CashmoneyDux
    CashmoneyDux Members Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Meek's Reputation
    Voltron came thru on time
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    R.D. wrote: »
    Sion wrote: »
    Saved me a titangraph

That's what I'm saying, I'm not knocking what Drake accomplished but it's other rappers who had a big run too. Dmx dropped 2 albums in one year that sold 12 million albums together. Then got blockbuster movie after blockbuster movie.

6 years straight

All what y'all saying is cool but it's sustained dominance. I can't make it any clearer

There is no run that compares to his...y'all not proving it wrong cause you can't

DMx sold 12 mil in one year...cool, that's not 6 years

50 sold what 20-25 mil in 2years...cool, that's not 6 years

I can't compare record sales then and now, the game ain't the same...but top of the charts/selling the most...dominance of urban music

There's been nobody to have this long a reign consistently the unchallenged top guy

Dot/Cole are better rappers and do their thing but they can't knock him off cause he ain't in their lane, he's a hybrid

? a Prius

What? Jay-Z has had a hellva run since 98.

10 multi platinum solo albums, 3 Collaborative albums that all went platinum.

27 top 10 hits as a lead artist and 15 as a featured artist.

19 years and counting>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 6

jay-z-sipping-tea-o.gif?w=100&quality=70&strip=all

Jay Z had a steady run.

He was never outselling people consistently. ? wanna be sassy so bad, can't even see clearly

When 50 came thru, Jay got the ? out the way. When Em was coming, it was quiet for everybody. Ja had a run as the top guy while Jay was there. Jay is Jay but Jay ain't do this, nobody has

Nobody is moving Drake out the way

Jay was never consistently killing the charts like this, you never ran to Jay when you needed to chart. The numbers support this, Check the young ? stats

It's been 6 years, nobody moved him, some of the ? should've dented him and still there at the top he sit, this ain't been seen

• R.D.
    Options
    aneed123 wrote: »
    Y'all hate that man so bad u taking away credit .... it's sad. In the real world he the most popular rapper. Nothing u say or no straw argument u say will change that.

Bruh I'm not even a Drake fan like that, I gave Views one listen but I can't deny what he's done

I pay attention to hip hop, I know what artists have done. If you wanna say other artists had better runs, that's cool but nobody did what he's doing
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    10 years from now will any of y'all really be still listening to Drake s music? Like hold on let me pop in Thank me later.....the answer to this question is really important
  • R.D.
    edited January 2017
    Options
    10 years from now will any of y'all really be still listening to Drake s music? Like hold on let me pop in Thank me later.....the answer to this question is really important

Ask a Drake fan

Even if we not, what does it matter

It won't diminish his run, Ja still had his time

You still play rainy days ?
  • Lefty_
    Options
    Meek's Reputation
    Sion wrote: »
    Saved me a titangraph

That's what I'm saying, I'm not knocking what Drake accomplished but it's other rappers who had a big run too. Dmx dropped 2 albums in one year that sold 12 million albums together. Then got blockbuster movie after blockbuster movie.

6 years straight

All what y'all saying is cool but it's sustained dominance. I can't make it any clearer

There is no run that compares to his...y'all not proving it wrong cause you can't

DMx sold 12 mil in one year...cool, that's not 6 years

50 sold what 20-25 mil in 2years...cool, that's not 6 years

I can't compare record sales then and now, the game ain't the same...but top of the charts/selling the most...dominance of urban music

There's been nobody to have this long a reign consistently the unchallenged top guy

Dot/Cole are better rappers and do their thing but they can't knock him off cause he ain't in their lane, he's a hybrid

? a Prius

What? Jay-Z has had a hellva run since 98.

10 multi platinum solo albums, 3 Collaborative albums that all went platinum.

27 top 10 hits as a lead artist and 15 as a featured artist.

19 years and counting>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 6

jay-z-sipping-tea-o.gif?w=100&quality=70&strip=all

Jay Z had a steady run.

He was never outselling people consistently. ? wanna be sassy so bad, can't even see clearly

When 50 came thru, Jay got the ? out the way. When Em was coming, it was quiet for everybody. Ja had a run as the top guy while Jay was there. Jay is Jay but Jay ain't do this, nobody has

Nobody is moving Drake out the way

Jay was never consistently killing the charts like this, you never ran to Jay when you needed to chart. The numbers support this, Check the young ? stats

It's been 6 years, nobody moved him, some of the ? should've dented him and still there at the top he sit, this ain't been seen

"10 number one albums in a row who better than me/only the beatles nobody ahead of me"

Ain't nobody stop Jay from makin noise. You said Jay got out the way for Em and fiddy, but who the ? didn't? You talkin about 2 historic rises to prominence.

I'll take a warm meal every night over a hot meal on the weekends and eatin ? meat the rest of the week.

This ? 21 years in and if he tweeted a picture of a rocafella chain and a date under it the IC would break.

I remember that MCHG commercial I came to the IC(still lurkin then) there were already 3 threads before the game even ended.

Drake's arms too short to box.
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jay did his thing. That don't erase what drake is doing now.
  •  i ro ny
    i ro ny Members Posts: 8,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Drake's Legacy

even though my interest in drake*'s music was waning a lil bit before the ghostwriter reveal, i thought he was easily one of the most talented rappers that has broken thru the mainstream in a long time....in an almost "too good to be true" way.

• R.D.
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Ja was the top guy
    Em was the top guy
    50 was the top guy
    Wayne was the top guy
    Kanye was the top guy
    (I'm speaking commercially)

All during Jay run

6 years straight, Drake !!!

Facts only
  • Lefty_
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Meek's Reputation
    Ja was the top guy
    Em was the top guy
    50 was the top guy
    Wayne was the top guy
    Kanye was the top guy
    (I'm speaking commercially)

All during Jay run

6 years straight, Drake !!!

Facts only

That ? hollow, no competition, and no dope albums to accompany his "Status".

And keep that ? real, if a drake album dropped at the same time a Jay album dropped today, we all know how that would go, just on the strength of a beyonce featured single. ? make threads off who Jay in the studio with, how you gon call Drake's run better than Jay's when Jay can still come back and be the most influential ? in it? We gotta be honest here.
  • R.D.
    Options
    There's more competition than ever, everything gets through

Y'all arguments need some milk
  • Lefty_
    Options
    Meek's Reputation
    Ok ? , semantics...... Better competition.

Would you rather get hit with 50 BB's or 7 shotgun slugs?
  • bck145
    bck145 Members Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Meek's Reputation
    achewon87 wrote: »
    Ja writes his own bars
    Em writes his own bars
    50 writes his own bars
    Wayne writes his own bars
    Kanye produced some fly ass beats

All during Jay's run, who also writes his own bars btw...

Drake spits ghostwritten raps over other peoples beats...

Facts only...

Wayne didn't write his best albums....just sayin
  • bck145
    bck145 Members Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Meek's Reputation
    GetoBoy wrote: »
    So I've learned in hip hop as long as ? love your ? and you getting money and are popular ? your legacy, skills as a MC, and fronting bout writing your ? becuz those hits aren't as bad as Twitter jokes about you as a person that'll eventually go away??? And ? wonder why this era of music is as horrible as it is smh

Haha if that's what you took from all of that then you need to brush up on your reading skills
  • R.D.
    edited January 2017
    Options
    DNB1 wrote: »
    Jay Z got 13 No.1 albums....without using ghost writers

Jay Z run >>>> Drake.

These young ? , mane....smh

It's not about who's better

You ? dense