NBA Commissioner Wants Players to Ignore Their Personal Beliefs, Carry On White House Tradition...

Options
stringer bell
stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
http://atlantablackstar.com/2017/01/15/nba-commissioner-wants-players-to-ignore-their-personal-beliefs-carry-on-white-house-tradition/
NBA Commissioner Adam Silver believes even after Donald Trump’s inauguration on Jan. 20, players who oppose him should still carry on the tradition to visit the White House post-championship.

Silver made the statement while speaking to The Guardian in London before the Global Games match between the Denver Nuggets and the Indiana Pacers Thursday, Jan. 12.

“If a team came to me in the current situation and asked for my view on whether they should go, I would say go, whether it’s President Obama or now President-elect Trump,” Silver said. “Donald Trump, the private citizen, I don’t know well, but I have known him for many years as a fellow New Yorker. He has been to many Knicks games over the years and I’ve been to several games with his daughter Ivanka and her husband Jared Kushner. I have no reason to believe he won’t continue to be supportive of the NBA.”

But for many NBA players, it’s not a matter of Trump supporting the league but his divisive political rhetoric. Cleveland Cavaliers shooting guard Iman Shumpert told Complex in November 2016 that he would not visit the White House under Trump’s administration.

“I can’t get caught up in the racial, sexist bull—- he’s got going on,” Shumpert said. “That’s his personal thing.”

And when the Cavs visited the White House that month, forward Richard Jefferson declared on Snapchat that the team would be the last to carry on the tradition begun 54 years go.

“I don’t plan on forcing them to do anything that will be viewed as political in nature,” Silver told The Guardian of player’s personal politics. “But I think as we have done historically, we encourage players to have those conversations with each other, with us and become informed on the issues.”

Silver echoed such support in July 2016 when the WNBA’s Minnesota Lynx and New York Liberty protested the deaths of Alton Sterling and Philando Castile by police and the aftermath. However, he would have preferred that the teams not modify their uniforms in the process.

“I actually think it demonstrates that these are multidimensional people,” Silver said. “They live in this society and they have strong views about how things should be. So I’m very encouraging of that.”

But when it came to whether or not NBA could hop onboard San Fransico 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick’s national anthem protest, Silver expressed his preference that all athletes remain standing rather than sitting or kneeling.

“It would be my hope that they continue to stand for the national anthem,” he told ESPN in October 2016. “I think that is the appropriate thing to do.”

Comments

• fortyacres
    fortyacres Members, Moderators Posts: 4,480 Regulator
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Aslong as Lebron and Steph Curry dont go i dont give a damn.
  • Lefty_
    Lefty_ Members, Writer Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Word to Craig Hodges.
  • fortyacres
    Options
    As long as they don't put players backs against the wall and force them do it via ultimatums, fines, suspensions etc, I don't have a problem with what he's saying. It should be the players choice.

I rather them go, use the platform and let their voices be heard, feelings be felt.

Silver really just looking out for his product and don't want a bunch of young rich ? poking the bear. But ? all that scared talk.

fortyacres wrote: »

Here @fortyacresacoon go...

yes yes im on the ? train , first class , seat number ? ...

tumblr_nn1nznruW41s9gsm7o1_r5_500.gif
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bad part about this, is now ANYTHING black athlete or celebrity who goes to the White House now will be called a ? , completely ignoring what has been historically the case.

Was Eazy E a ? when he visited the Messiah of the modern Republican party, Ronald Regan?

Was Common a ? when he visited Barack "Not president of black America" Obama?

If the answer is no, then maybe we should be more precise in who we label a shoe shuffling ? .
  • KingFreeman
    KingFreeman Members Posts: 13,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • 1CK1S
    1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    As long as they don't put players backs against the wall and force them do it via ultimatums, fines, suspensions etc, I don't have a problem with what he's saying. It should be the players choice.

I rather them go, use the platform and let their voices be heard, feelings be felt.

Silver really just looking out for his product and don't want a bunch of young rich ? poking the bear. But ? all that scared talk.

I was just going to say that. Had he said otherwise, you'd be looking at a full blown player strike.
  • KingFreeman
    KingFreeman Members Posts: 13,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    1CK1S wrote: »

I was just going to say that. Had he said otherwise, you'd be looking at a full blown player strike.

No we wouldn't. These nba ? soft as baby ? .

Here's hoping whichever teams win during his time choose to make a point that can spark conversation and change.
  • Go figure
    Go figure Guests, Members, Confirm Email, Writer Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hes not forcing anyone just saying they should carry on tradition n keep going.

The nba is pretty progressive to where i dont think there will be strict rules regarding this.

But they also like to prevent unwanted attention before theres a chance for it to take place as well.
  • Maximus Rex
    Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Options
    The hypocrisy is at an all time. Players should be good ? and go "skin and grin," and look hella juiced behind an unrepentant racist white supremacist, but the Association pulls the All Star Game from Charolette because the state doesn't want mentally ill sexual deviants using the same bathroom as women and girls.
  • So ILL
    So ILL Members Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lefty_ wrote: »
    Word to Craig Hodges.
    First person I thought of. I hate he got blackballed out of the league, him and Abdul-Rauf. I think it would be cool for one of these stars today to use the celebrity to bring awareness to different things, but they're pacified by those checks smh.
  • Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Silver just checked these negroids real early.
  • Already Home_17
    Already Home_17 Members Posts: 14,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Copper wrote: »
    Nobody blinked an eye when tom brady refused to go when Obama was in office

I wouldn't say nobody
  • twizza 77
    twizza 77 Members Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Some Cubs players skipped the White House.
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bad part about this, is now ANYTHING black athlete or celebrity who goes to the White House now will be called a ? , completely ignoring what has been historically the case.

Was Eazy E a ? when he visited the Messiah of the modern Republican party, Ronald Regan?

Was Common a ? when he visited Barack "Not president of black America" Obama?

If the answer is no, then maybe we should be more precise in who we label a shoe shuffling ? .

You guys act like its only black athletes who are threatening not to gonto the white house for various reason.

Women Sports Teams , Hispanic athletes in baseball etc , ? athletes , white athletes are all threatening not to go because on his vitriolic campaign other presidents did not antagonize or provoke entire communities, Trump did.

and white house visits are not a platform for athletes to talk , 9/10 time you stand there as the president speaks and they give him a sporting present and the coach usually showers the president with praise and thanks , which Trump at this point hardly deserves.

Black people don't care about white women, ? , and whites who refuse to see Trump. None of them will be called ? .

Our plight is unique.
  • Go figure
    Go figure Guests, Members, Confirm Email, Writer Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    twizza 77 wrote: »
    Some Cubs players skipped the White House.

Heard only Lester missed due to family funeral
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This was strategic and hypocritical. Y'all keep falling for the bait though.
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Blk ppl are ? stupid... ? are really gonna boycott a president of the country they're living in??
    "if u ? with the president, you're a ? "... how does that make sense???

who's pumping this ? .
    he's the president, we better make some demands. especially after 8 years of giving Obama all sorts of passes for not doing ? ...
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Lefty_ wrote: »
    Word to Craig Hodges.

Tom Brady refused to visit our exemplary and dignified Black President so ? that orange cracka's feelings, let him cry into his Russian flag and tweet at 3am

Adam Silver just covering his ass with this statement
  • fortyacres
    Options
    D0wn wrote: »
    Blk ppl are ? stupid... ? are really gonna boycott a president of the country they're living in??

who's pumping this ? .
    he's the president, we better make some demands. especially after 8 years of giving Obama all sorts of passes for not doing ? ...

Yeah , because Trump really responds well to Black demands...
  • ghostdog56
    ghostdog56 Members Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

who's pumping this ? .

Neither did Obama. But then again ? didn't even ask him for ? , he was the president of all america.
  • fortyacres
    Options
    ghostdog56 wrote: »

who's pumping this ? .

Neither did Obama. But then again ? didn't even ask him for ? , he was the president of all america.

still waiting for your "unconsipiratory" facts to back this up... take your time.
  • 1CK1S
    1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ghostdog56 wrote: »

who's pumping this ? .

Same with H.W. Bush! He didn't do anything after Craig Hodges gave him that letter.