Jay Z's Tidal Music Streaming Service Being Accused Of Inflating It's User Numbers…

Options
stringer bell
stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
http://www.businessinsider.com/jay-z-music-streaming-service-tidal-accused-of-inflating-user-numbers-2017-1
In March of 2015, Jay Z acquired Tidal’s Oslo-based parent company Aspiro, for $56 million. Tidal quickly inked many A-list artists to deals for it's music streaming service.

Usher, Beyonce, Kanye West, Chris Martin, deadmau5, Jason Aldean, J. Cole, Madonna, Nicki Minaj, Jack White, Alicia Keys, Rihanna and Daft Punk all release new music exclusively through Tidal.

Right out of the gate the company joined a crowded field that included Spotify, Google Play, Amazon Prime and Pandora. The competition for customers became even more fierce when Apple Music was launched in June of 2015.

In September of 2016, the Wall Street Journal reported that Aspiro lost over $28 million in 2015 alone.

Rumors have circulated that Jay wants to sell the company. Apple and Samsung have been mentioned as possible suitors, but nothing has come to fruition.

Apple executive, Jimmy Iovine, told Buzzfeed that the rumors regarding his company were false.

“We’re really running our own race,” he said. “We’re not looking to acquire any streaming services.”

Today, Business Insider reports via Norwegian newspaper Dagens Næringsliv, that Tidal is being accused of inflating it's user numbers.

The report alleges that Jay's September 2015 tweet that his company had reach one million subscribers was greatly exaggerated.

1.PNG

Internal reports indicate Tidal had 830,000 subscribers at the time. Dagens Næringsliv claims that even that number was inflated, pointing out that payments made to record labels put Tidal's subscribers closer to 350,000.

In a May 29, 2016 press release Tidal claimed it had "amassed three million members across 46 countries worldwide." Dagens Næringsliv disputes those numbers, citing internal reports that showed only 1.2 million subscribers. Payments to record labels indicated that it had 850,000 subscribers at the time.

giphy.gif

Comments

• soulfulcat
    soulfulcat Members Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I thought Jay-z sued the other owners of tidal for lying about the number of subscribers?
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    soulfulcat wrote: »
    I thought Jay-z sued the other owners of tidal for lying about the number of subscribers?

He did
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    AZTG wrote: »
    Lets be happy another man is losing money

I don't think anyone should rejoice about another man losing money. However Skewed numbers by Aspiro pre sale and or Jay post sale should be checked by fact checkers.

In addition to that Tidal numbers wise has been very shady about reporting it's current late 2016 tallies and or current January 2017 paid subscriber base. Nearly every other music streaming services gives the public quarterly updates on those numbers.
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • GetoBoy
    GetoBoy Members Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ain't that the amount of subs Tidal had when he bought it you mean to tell me Jay bought it and they lost subs??? I call ? especially since this is coming from a Norwegian newspaper lol
  • GetoBoy
    Options
    "Men lie, women lie, numbers don't"

Naw the numbers lie when they coming from a Norwegian newspaper.... All the papers and press in USA and Tidal numbers coming from Norwegian's??? Do they even have Tidal in Norway lol
  • sapp08_2001
    sapp08_2001 Members Posts: 7,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jay will be fine. I say sell it for more than its worth and keep it pushin
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    edited January 2017
    Options
    So because a Norwegian newspaper is based in a country that doesn't have access to sign up for tidal their credibility to investigate and point out the cooking of Tidal numbers are false?

Now I have said some ? ? on the IC myself. But This makes 0 sense. Both Aspiro pre jay purchase and the current Tidal regime has been shady and secretive about their numbers. My money is on the newspaper that actually did the investigative work to find the answers sway never had.
  • GetoBoy
    edited January 2017
    Options
    So because a Norwegian newspaper is based in a country that doesn't have access to sign up for tidal their credibility to investigate and point out the cooking of Tidal numbers are false?

Now I have said some ? ? on the IC myself. But This makes 0 sense. Both Aspiro pre jay purchase and the current Tidal regime has been shady and secretive about their numbers. My money is on the newspaper that actually did the investigative work to find the answers sway never had.

Well when nobody has confirmed it and the newspaper doesn't even explain how they got the numbers it's kinda fishy especially when ppl out here couldn't get access to the information to get numbers but a Norwegian newspaper can??? My money is on this is BS especially when they say Tidal only had 350,000 when Jay said they had million which would mean they lost subs from the time Jay bought it which we all know ain't true..... But never let the details get in the way of a good story
  • GetoBoy
    edited January 2017
    Options
    GetoBoy wrote: »
    "Men lie, women lie, numbers don't"

Naw the numbers lie when they coming from a Norwegian newspaper.... All the papers and press in USA and Tidal numbers coming from Norwegian's??? Do they even have Tidal in Norway lol

Lol. You dumb as ? b.

Lol...Ok son
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    Well the original company is from Norway
  • GetoBoy
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Well the original company is from Norway

You mean the company that Jay is suing for lying about they numbers from the beginning to make the sell???? Hmmmm
  • Busta Carmichael
    Busta Carmichael Members, Moderators Posts: 13,161 Regulator
    Options
    Well Tidal is based in Norway.....So wouldn't they have inside info?

Even someone at the newspaper could be related to someone at tidal.

Norway is only like 5 million people
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    Options

Well when nobody has confirmed it and the newspaper doesn't even explain how they got the numbers it's kinda fishy especially when ppl out here couldn't get access to the information to get numbers but a Norwegian newspaper can??? My money is on this is BS especially when they say Tidal only had 350,000 when Jay said they had million which would mean they lost subs from the time Jay bought it which we all know ain't true..... But never let the details get in the way of a good story

Your money is on BS because you are a Jay Stan. An actual newspaper in a dying industry isn't going to make a TMZ like story and ruin their credibility and prestige of Lying about Jay Z. Plus this isn't the first time pre jay and post jay tidal/aspiro numbers haven't been in question. The entire time Jay has ran Tidal it has been unclear how many paying subscribers they have had. They also didn't report numbers from albums like TLOP in real time and instead posted them a month after it dropped.
  • GetoBoy
    edited January 2017
    Options

Your money is on BS because you are a Jay Stan. An actual newspaper in a dying industry isn't going to make a TMZ like story and ruin their credibility and prestige of Lying about Jay Z. Plus this isn't the first time pre jay and post jay tidal/aspiro numbers haven't been in question. The entire time Jay has ran Tidal it has been unclear how many paying subscribers they have had. They also didn't report numbers from albums like TLOP in real time and instead posted them a month after it dropped.

Ok buddy well you believe Jay bought tidal then LOST subs the company had when he bought it not add to..... I got a gold bridge in San Francisco I wanna sell you too while you at.... Lol at the newspaper prestige and credibility you talking like you know the paper for all we know that's what they do i mean didn't they lie from the jump about the numbers and inflated them their self oh but now they telling the truth??? Meh I guess but again let's never let details mess up the story or the hate from you becuz I been told you bout yourself you ain't never gonna believe positive becuz you need proof but a Norwegian newspaper can just say anything and you like ? needing proof I believe it... That type of hate is sad bruh
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    Options

Ok buddy well you believe Jay bought tidal then LOST subs the company had when he bought it not add to..... I got a gold bridge in San Francisco I wanna sell you too while you at.... Lol at the newspaper prestige and credibility you talking like you know the paper for all we know that's what they do i mean didn't they lie from the jump about the numbers and inflated them their self oh but now they telling the truth??? Meh I guess but again let's never let details mess up the story or the hate from you becuz I been told you bout yourself you ain't never gonna believe positive becuz you need proof but a Norwegian newspaper can just say anything and you like ? needing proof I believe it... That type of hate is sad bruh

There is no hate for Tidal just suspicion on the amount of users they have paying on a monthly basis. Yes post Jay taking over numbers certainly grew given the brand power of Jay and Beyonce and others who backed it. But at the same time from day one there has been questions about the true numbers that is a fact. You can't prove Jay and or others were 100% accurate.

Tidal is a good music service and have great features. The issue is the way they have released and framed numbers has always been sketchy. From the Kanye stream numbers being delayed for weeks to the tweets from Jay now being questioned about how quickly they got to a million. Some of the sketchiness is from the previous owners and some of it lies on the current group including Jay.

• GetoBoy
    Options

There is no hate for Tidal just suspicion on the amount of users they have paying on a monthly basis. Yes post Jay taking over numbers certainly grew given the brand power of Jay and Beyonce and others who backed it. But at the same time from day one there has been questions about the true numbers that is a fact. You can't prove Jay and or others were 100% accurate.

Tidal is a good music service and have great features. The issue is the way they have released and framed numbers has always been sketchy. From the Kanye stream numbers being delayed for weeks to the tweets from Jay now being questioned about how quickly they got to a million. Some of the sketchiness is from the previous owners and some of it lies on the current group including Jay.

That's my point this post says when Jay said they had a million subs they really had 350,000 paying subs but when Jay bought it he bought it with a "supposed" 500,000 let the Norwegians tell it so how your report show he lost subs??? At the end of the day if Jay is suing a Norwegian company for lying about numbers then a Norwegian newspaper comes out and says "no he lying" with no proof I'll call ? till proved otherwise and if I am ? it Jay gotta take that L
  • _God_
    _God_ Members Posts: 6,396 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Now jay gone drop averse equating this to ppl hating on Malcolm x
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    Options

That's my point this post says when Jay said they had a million subs they really had 350,000 paying subs but when Jay bought it he bought it with a "supposed" 500,000 let the Norwegians tell it so how your report show he lost subs??? At the end of the day if Jay is suing a Norwegian company for lying about numbers then a Norwegian newspaper comes out and says "no he lying" with no proof I'll call ? till proved otherwise and if I am ? it Jay gotta take that L

Just to prove this is not me just hating on Tidal here is an excerpt from a Billboard article about this situation:

http://www.billboard.com/biz/articles/7662555/norwegian-report-claims-tidal-inflated-subscriber-numbers

"However, there are aspects that ring true, particularly when it comes to accurate subscriber numbers. Tidal hasn't released an updated subscriber number since that March 2016 claim of 3 million, which at the time also included those who signed up for free trials after the stop-start Tidal release of Kanye West's Life of Pablo. In May, the company confirmed to The New York Times that in the first week after the exclusive release of Beyoncé's Lemonade, 1.2 million additional people had signed up for the service, though again that came with an extensive free-trial promotional offering. That detail led to widespread reports that Tidal had 4.2 million paid subscribers, an easy mistake to make when the verbiage is carefully chosen as to almost encourage that conclusion."

The issue about your bias perspective is only questioning the Norwegian newspaper. But when a company doesn't release subscriber numbers for nearly a year how can you not question Jay to the smallest degree. If you are going to question the newspapers credibility you also need to question Hov's as well. Because just like the paper who isn't revealing it's sources Jay hasn't revealed any proof or documents on updated subscriber base since march of 2016.