Jay Z's Tidal Music Streaming Service Being Accused Of Inflating It's User Numbers…

Options

Comments

• MasterJayN100
    MasterJayN100 Members Posts: 11,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If Tidal go the Spotify Route..It will Become Top Shotta
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If Tidal go the Spotify Route..It will Become Top Shotta

Nah spotify got the market share and brand power due to them getting in at the right time. Spotify is like the facebook of this streaming ? . Sure there were pandoras and rhapsody's before spotify. But it got it right and got the marketshare of users.

Tidal has the potential to be a Mercedes Benz of music listening with the hi fi and artist bonus content. Problem is they are not being honest and or consistent with the user base they have. And jay will not make a pretty penny on selling Tidal if they keep not giving public updates on sub base and sub usage of the different features.
  • GetoBoy
    GetoBoy Members Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    GetoBoy wrote: »
    So because a Norwegian newspaper is based in a country that doesn't have access to sign up for tidal their credibility to investigate and point out the cooking of Tidal numbers are false?

Now I have said some ? ? on the IC myself. But This makes 0 sense. Both Aspiro pre jay purchase and the current Tidal regime has been shady and secretive about their numbers. My money is on the newspaper that actually did the investigative work to find the answers sway never had.

Well when nobody has confirmed it and the newspaper doesn't even explain how they got the numbers it's kinda fishy especially when ppl out here couldn't get access to the information to get numbers but a Norwegian newspaper can??? My money is on this is BS especially when they say Tidal only had 350,000 when Jay said they had million which would mean they lost subs from the time Jay bought it which we all know ain't true..... But never let the details get in the way of a good story

Your money is on BS because you are a Jay Stan. An actual newspaper in a dying industry isn't going to make a TMZ like story and ruin their credibility and prestige of Lying about Jay Z. Plus this isn't the first time pre jay and post jay tidal/aspiro numbers haven't been in question. The entire time Jay has ran Tidal it has been unclear how many paying subscribers they have had. They also didn't report numbers from albums like TLOP in real time and instead posted them a month after it dropped.

Ok buddy well you believe Jay bought tidal then LOST subs the company had when he bought it not add to..... I got a gold bridge in San Francisco I wanna sell you too while you at.... Lol at the newspaper prestige and credibility you talking like you know the paper for all we know that's what they do i mean didn't they lie from the jump about the numbers and inflated them their self oh but now they telling the truth??? Meh I guess but again let's never let details mess up the story or the hate from you becuz I been told you bout yourself you ain't never gonna believe positive becuz you need proof but a Norwegian newspaper can just say anything and you like ? needing proof I believe it... That type of hate is sad bruh

There is no hate for Tidal just suspicion on the amount of users they have paying on a monthly basis. Yes post Jay taking over numbers certainly grew given the brand power of Jay and Beyonce and others who backed it. But at the same time from day one there has been questions about the true numbers that is a fact. You can't prove Jay and or others were 100% accurate.

Tidal is a good music service and have great features. The issue is the way they have released and framed numbers has always been sketchy. From the Kanye stream numbers being delayed for weeks to the tweets from Jay now being questioned about how quickly they got to a million. Some of the sketchiness is from the previous owners and some of it lies on the current group including Jay.

That's my point this post says when Jay said they had a million subs they really had 350,000 paying subs but when Jay bought it he bought it with a "supposed" 500,000 let the Norwegians tell it so how your report show he lost subs??? At the end of the day if Jay is suing a Norwegian company for lying about numbers then a Norwegian newspaper comes out and says "no he lying" with no proof I'll call ? till proved otherwise and if I am ? it Jay gotta take that L

Just to prove this is not me just hating on Tidal here is an excerpt from a Billboard article about this situation:

http://www.billboard.com/biz/articles/7662555/norwegian-report-claims-tidal-inflated-subscriber-numbers

"However, there are aspects that ring true, particularly when it comes to accurate subscriber numbers. Tidal hasn't released an updated subscriber number since that March 2016 claim of 3 million, which at the time also included those who signed up for free trials after the stop-start Tidal release of Kanye West's Life of Pablo. In May, the company confirmed to The New York Times that in the first week after the exclusive release of Beyoncé's Lemonade, 1.2 million additional people had signed up for the service, though again that came with an extensive free-trial promotional offering. That detail led to widespread reports that Tidal had 4.2 million paid subscribers, an easy mistake to make when the verbiage is carefully chosen as to almost encourage that conclusion."

The issue about your bias perspective is only questioning the Norwegian newspaper. But when a company doesn't release subscriber numbers for nearly a year how can you not question Jay to the smallest degree. If you are going to question the newspapers credibility you also need to question Hov's as well. Because just like the paper who isn't revealing it's sources Jay hasn't revealed any proof or documents on updated subscriber base since march of 2016.

That article didn't say nothing but we don't know what the number is.... My thing is if ppl are getting sued for lying drop a report about numbers they gonna have to show me how they got those numbers becuz they've already proven they'll lie about numbers..... Especially when you said you sold it at 540,000 subs then turn around and say when Jay got it now there was only 340,000 subs if you wan me to believe your report make it make sense becuz either you were lying then or you lying now becuz ain't no way Jay bought it and then instantly lost 200,000 subs that were there when he bought it.... It all don't add up so I'm calling ? till proven otherwise
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    Options
    So because a Norwegian newspaper is based in a country that doesn't have access to sign up for tidal their credibility to investigate and point out the cooking of Tidal numbers are false?

Now I have said some ? ? on the IC myself. But This makes 0 sense. Both Aspiro pre jay purchase and the current Tidal regime has been shady and secretive about their numbers. My money is on the newspaper that actually did the investigative work to find the answers sway never had.

Well when nobody has confirmed it and the newspaper doesn't even explain how they got the numbers it's kinda fishy especially when ppl out here couldn't get access to the information to get numbers but a Norwegian newspaper can??? My money is on this is BS especially when they say Tidal only had 350,000 when Jay said they had million which would mean they lost subs from the time Jay bought it which we all know ain't true..... But never let the details get in the way of a good story

Your money is on BS because you are a Jay Stan. An actual newspaper in a dying industry isn't going to make a TMZ like story and ruin their credibility and prestige of Lying about Jay Z. Plus this isn't the first time pre jay and post jay tidal/aspiro numbers haven't been in question. The entire time Jay has ran Tidal it has been unclear how many paying subscribers they have had. They also didn't report numbers from albums like TLOP in real time and instead posted them a month after it dropped.

Ok buddy well you believe Jay bought tidal then LOST subs the company had when he bought it not add to..... I got a gold bridge in San Francisco I wanna sell you too while you at.... Lol at the newspaper prestige and credibility you talking like you know the paper for all we know that's what they do i mean didn't they lie from the jump about the numbers and inflated them their self oh but now they telling the truth??? Meh I guess but again let's never let details mess up the story or the hate from you becuz I been told you bout yourself you ain't never gonna believe positive becuz you need proof but a Norwegian newspaper can just say anything and you like ? needing proof I believe it... That type of hate is sad bruh

There is no hate for Tidal just suspicion on the amount of users they have paying on a monthly basis. Yes post Jay taking over numbers certainly grew given the brand power of Jay and Beyonce and others who backed it. But at the same time from day one there has been questions about the true numbers that is a fact. You can't prove Jay and or others were 100% accurate.

Tidal is a good music service and have great features. The issue is the way they have released and framed numbers has always been sketchy. From the Kanye stream numbers being delayed for weeks to the tweets from Jay now being questioned about how quickly they got to a million. Some of the sketchiness is from the previous owners and some of it lies on the current group including Jay.

That's my point this post says when Jay said they had a million subs they really had 350,000 paying subs but when Jay bought it he bought it with a "supposed" 500,000 let the Norwegians tell it so how your report show he lost subs??? At the end of the day if Jay is suing a Norwegian company for lying about numbers then a Norwegian newspaper comes out and says "no he lying" with no proof I'll call ? till proved otherwise and if I am ? it Jay gotta take that L

Just to prove this is not me just hating on Tidal here is an excerpt from a Billboard article about this situation:

http://www.billboard.com/biz/articles/7662555/norwegian-report-claims-tidal-inflated-subscriber-numbers

"However, there are aspects that ring true, particularly when it comes to accurate subscriber numbers. Tidal hasn't released an updated subscriber number since that March 2016 claim of 3 million, which at the time also included those who signed up for free trials after the stop-start Tidal release of Kanye West's Life of Pablo. In May, the company confirmed to The New York Times that in the first week after the exclusive release of Beyoncé's Lemonade, 1.2 million additional people had signed up for the service, though again that came with an extensive free-trial promotional offering. That detail led to widespread reports that Tidal had 4.2 million paid subscribers, an easy mistake to make when the verbiage is carefully chosen as to almost encourage that conclusion."

The issue about your bias perspective is only questioning the Norwegian newspaper. But when a company doesn't release subscriber numbers for nearly a year how can you not question Jay to the smallest degree. If you are going to question the newspapers credibility you also need to question Hov's as well. Because just like the paper who isn't revealing it's sources Jay hasn't revealed any proof or documents on updated subscriber base since march of 2016.

That article didn't say nothing but we don't know what the number is.... My thing is if ppl are getting sued for lying drop a report about numbers they gonna have to show me how they got those numbers becuz they've already proven they'll lie about numbers..... Especially when you said you sold it at 540,000 subs then turn around and say when Jay got it now there was only 340,000 subs if you wan me to believe your report make it make sense becuz either you were lying then or you lying now becuz ain't no way Jay bought it and then instantly lost 200,000 subs that were there when he bought it.... It all don't add up so I'm calling ? till proven otherwise

You're missing the point. Tidal has not released any recent numbers in over 6 months regarding what their paid subscriber base is. That is very very sketchy. When it comes to Jay's career he can prove the numbers don't lie in the bank account or the sales/tour attendance. But With Tidal it takes a month to get TLOP streaming stats and now months without an update on the number of people signed up. It's a 2 way street regarding the credibility of the newspaper and Tidal. You are looking at it one way.
  • GetoBoy
    Options

You're missing the point. Tidal has not released any recent numbers in over 6 months regarding what their paid subscriber base is. That is very very sketchy. When it comes to Jay's career he can prove the numbers don't lie in the bank account or the sales/tour attendance. But With Tidal it takes a month to get TLOP streaming stats and now months without an update on the number of people signed up. It's a 2 way street regarding the credibility of the newspaper and Tidal. You are looking at it one way.

How often does anybody release numbers??? Don't none of them release numbers unless there's sum significant increase in the prior numbers and if there isn't you don't hear numbers so not releasing numbers every month is par for the course becuz nobody is gonna release the same numbers..... You looking at it from how others release without realizing why they release numbers they do it to brag about the increase if Tidal hasn't made a significant increase since it's last numbers release what is there to release?? What that newspaper did was basically paint itself in a corner as a liar becuz either y'all lied and there weren't 540,000 subs when Jay bought it or you lying now either way there's ? in there and I ain't falling for it just to laugh and say something a L
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    Options

Apple Music and Spotify have press releases quarterly. There are articles from June talking about Apple music in June reporting earnings and then you have press again in late September updating the numbers that only went up slightly. Same thing with spotify. There are articles from June then updates toward the Q4 at the end of this year updating the fanbase.

As far as the report yes there is evidence Aspiro lied about the numbers to Jay when they sold it to him and that is wrong. At the same time it appears Jay and or his team did not have due dilligence by checking user numbers after they bought it and possibly themselves ran away with fraudulent numbers. These inflated numbers post purchase could easily been done to give the platform promo. 1 Jay tweet about numbers growing could get more fans looking Tidal's way and sign up.
  • soulfulcat
    soulfulcat Members Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sprint

http://www.businessinsider.com/sprint-buys-stake-in-tidal-2017-1

Sprint just bought a 33% stake in the music-streaming service Tidal.

Tidal, which is co-owned by Jay Z and more than a dozen other artists, will provide Sprint's retail customers with access to exclusive content not available to other Tidal users.

Sprint's CEO, Marcelo Claure, will join Tidal's board of directors.

"Sprint shares our view of revolutionizing the creative industry to allow artists to connect directly with their fans and reach their fullest, shared potential," Jay Z said in a statement.

That's a win
  • Ol Jay's
    Ol Jay's Members Posts: 8,286 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Options
    maybe when Jay gave the numbers it included people with free trials, and when whomever checked the numbers, and it was 160,000 less users, those free trials were up
  • DNB1
    DNB1 Members Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Options
    soulfulcat wrote: »
    Sprint

Tidal, which is co-owned by Jay Z and more than a dozen other artists, will provide Sprint's retail customers with access to exclusive content not available to other Tidal users.

"Sprint shares our view of revolutionizing the creative industry to allow artists to connect directly with their fans and reach their fullest, shared potential," Jay Z said in a statement.

That's a win

Jay wins again....I read they paid $200 million, which is a come up since Jay only invested $56 mill.

Also means Tidal gain 45 million subscribers automatically via Sprints customer base.

• StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    Damn that's a huge win for both parties tbh
  • GetoBoy
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Sprint

@MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 And just like that any chance of a L has once again been spun into a win..... I doubt Sprint gonna be out here spending this type of money on a service that's lying and inflating numbers you still believing them Norwegians lol
  • GetoBoy
    Options
    Y'all still arguing about this ? ?????
    AZTG wrote: »
    Y'all still arguing about this ? ?????

I aint never seen two people care so much about an artists business ventures. Dudes in here citing sources proving its failing or succeeding. Smh. Blueprint gonna bump the same regardless of what happens to tidal or jays pockets. ? wrong with yall?

Why do y'all care what is discussed like it effects you..... ? will argue about Jay vs Nas vs Big vs Pac vs Ether vs Takeover vs East vs West 585433805290 times but as soon as ? talk Tidal fools lose they minds.... Here's an idea scroll pass the thread problem solved
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    Options
    Sprint

@MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 And just like that any chance of a L has once again been spun into a win..... I doubt Sprint gonna be out here spending this type of money on a service that's lying and inflating numbers you still believing them Norwegians lol

No the sprint deal is a win no doubt. But that doesn't clear Tidal from trying to inflate numbers and still hide updates about the amount of subs from fans and reporters. These are 2 different situations. A deal with sprint is a win. The shade of not dropping numbers in over 6 months is questionable and could be a win if Tidal updated us on accurate paid subscriber numbers.
  • GetoBoy
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Sprint

No the sprint deal is a win no doubt. But that doesn't clear Tidal from trying to inflate numbers and still hide updates about the amount of subs from fans and reporters. These are 2 different situations. A deal with sprint is a win. The shade of not dropping numbers in over 6 months is questionable and could be a win if Tidal updated us on accurate paid subscriber numbers.

So you really think a multi-billion dollar company like Sprint is forking over millions to a company that's out here inflating and lying about numbers??? Or would it be more believable that the same Norwegians that lied about the numbers and are getting sued for it were lying now??? C'mon man use your common sense I know you have sum in there.....

Calling a independent company shading for not giving you numbers every few months is silly becuz wtf they gotta give you numbers for ain't like they have a quarterly earning report and they just leaving that out they could release numbers once a year if they liked how is that shading you acting like they're under sum rule or guidelines and they breaking them.... Shading would be if they were releasing other numbers and leaving out subs but they not doing nothing but dropping content so where's the shading at smh
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    Options
    Sprint

So you really think a multi-billion dollar company like Sprint is forking over millions to a company that's out here inflating and lying about numbers??? Or would it be more believable that the same Norwegians that lied about the numbers and are getting sued for it were lying now??? C'mon man use your common sense I know you have sum in there.....

Calling a independent company shading for not giving you numbers every few months is silly becuz wtf they gotta give you numbers for ain't like they have a quarterly earning report and they just leaving that out they could release numbers once a year if they liked how is that shading you acting like they're under sum rule or guidelines and they breaking them.... Shading would be if they were releasing other numbers and leaving out subs but they not doing nothing but dropping content so where's the shading at smh

Tidal was built on Jay and his values. Part of that was him on twitter bragging about the numbers during the first year or so. So when they stop sharing numbers and Jay stops tweeting it is shady. Again the same thing is to be said about the TLOP numbers that took a month to release which again is shady. Sprint did sign a deal with tidal and that is a huge signing for Tidal. But that doesn't mean that Tidal doesn't have a cloud of questions regarding the accuracy of the numbers they post.

Your Norwegian theory makes 0 sense because the press in Norway and this business in Norway are 2 different businesses. As a matter of fact American business like Billboard are questioning the number from tidal like i showed you from the billboard article. Unless you can show me some sort of partnerships between Aspiro and this independent news paper that claim that the press is from Norway doesn't mean ? .

• GetoBoy
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Sprint

Tidal was built on Jay and his values. Part of that was him on twitter bragging about the numbers during the first year or so. So when they stop sharing numbers and Jay stops tweeting it is shady. Again the same thing is to be said about the TLOP numbers that took a month to release which again is shady. Sprint did sign a deal with tidal and that is a huge signing for Tidal. But that doesn't mean that Tidal doesn't have a cloud of questions regarding the accuracy of the numbers they post.

Your Norwegian theory makes 0 sense because the press in Norway and this business in Norway are 2 different businesses. As a matter of fact American business like Billboard are questioning the number from tidal like i showed you from the billboard article. Unless you can show me some sort of partnerships between Aspiro and this independent news paper that claim that the press is from Norway doesn't mean ? .

How is it shady to not report when there's nothing to report..... It's a company that wasn't having any significant increase or growth so what they suppose to do say hey look we haven't grown since our last update??? You really don't know how these things work do you??? If companies don't have growth they don't share numbers it's not shady it's called business if there's nothing to report then you don't report.... But do the math Sprint bought 33 percent at $200 mill that means the company Jay paid $56 mill for is worth $600 mill that math alone should tell you that you might wanna leave those Norwegian numbers alone

https://www.engadget.com/2017/01/23/sprint-buys-stake-in-tidal/
    "Update: A Billboard source appears to have spilled the beans on the deal. Reportedly, that 33 percent stake is worth $200 million -- not a bad return on investment when Jay Z paid $56 million for Tidal's parent company back in 2015. Of course, that indicates that Tidal is worth $600 million overall. It's small potatoes next to Apple or Spotify, but nothing to sneeze at given the company's relative youth and size.

The leak also hints at just why the two clinched the deal in the first place. Reportedly, the agreement includes a $75 million per year "dedicated marketing fund" that will fuel the exclusives. That's a lot of money to funnel toward releases intended for one carrier's subscribers, and it suggests that you'll get a lot more than just the occasional unreleased track. There may well be meaningful exclusives that get Sprint customers to at least try Tidal, even if they're not necessarily alluring enough to convince people to switch networks."
  • MarcusGarvey
    MarcusGarvey Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    DNB1 wrote: »
    soulfulcat wrote: »
    Sprint

That's a win

Jay wins again....I read they paid $200 million, which is a come up since Jay only invested $56 mill.

Also means Tidal gain 45 million subscribers automatically via Sprints customer base.

t3r02p709qhs.gif
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    Jay z keeps winning
  • GetoBoy
    edited January 2017
    Options
    buttuh_b wrote: »
    I told yall getoboy was a ? 5 years ago and no one believed me. Carry on.

That's funny becuz I only joined in 2013 so one probably believed you becuz I wasn't on here.....failed math class.... ?
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    Options
    Sprint

How is it shady to not report when there's nothing to report..... It's a company that wasn't having any significant increase or growth so what they suppose to do say hey look we haven't grown since our last update??? You really don't know how these things work do you??? If companies don't have growth they don't share numbers it's not shady it's called business if there's nothing to report then you don't report.... But do the math Sprint bought 33 percent at $200 mill that means the company Jay paid $56 mill for is worth $600 mill that math alone should tell you that you might wanna leave those Norwegian numbers alone

https://www.engadget.com/2017/01/23/sprint-buys-stake-in-tidal/
    "Update: A Billboard source appears to have spilled the beans on the deal. Reportedly, that 33 percent stake is worth $200 million -- not a bad return on investment when Jay Z paid $56 million for Tidal's parent company back in 2015. Of course, that indicates that Tidal is worth $600 million overall. It's small potatoes next to Apple or Spotify, but nothing to sneeze at given the company's relative youth and size.

The leak also hints at just why the two clinched the deal in the first place. Reportedly, the agreement includes a $75 million per year "dedicated marketing fund" that will fuel the exclusives. That's a lot of money to funnel toward releases intended for one carrier's subscribers, and it suggests that you'll get a lot more than just the occasional unreleased track. There may well be meaningful exclusives that get Sprint customers to at least try Tidal, even if they're not necessarily alluring enough to convince people to switch networks."

Just because Sprint invested that much in the company over what jay got it for doesn't mean the investment will work. It's a gamble for Sprint which is 3rd or 4th place in the mobile carrier game behind AT&T and Verizon at least. Yes this is a win for Jay i am not debating that but it may work or it may not work. And that all lies in what exclusive content these phone carriers get and who give a ? about that content.

When the company starts with Jay emphasizing the numbers then creating concerts off milestone sub numbers it sets a tone. then when they stop bragging about numbers or take a damn month to report streaming numbers it is shady is ? period. The Billboards and RIAA ask for weekly stream stats from all services not just Tidal. And Tidal during it's biggest Tidal only exclusive album in TLOP (beyonce sold her ? on i tunes too) took a month to get the streaming stats out. So you're telling me Mr. men lie women lie numbers don't took a month to get those stats out?