Comments

• HundredEyes
    HundredEyes Members Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • HundredEyes
    Options
    Sion wrote: »
    Failure to pay child support should NOT warrant jail time. Everyday life can happen to a person where they can't pay for child support certain months and the interest and more can cause payments to become even more difficult to make causing them to miss payments. A person sent to prison for child support can lose their job and means to pay child support. Not only that, even while a man is locked up, the payments and interest don't stop. A woman can even go as far as filing a contempt action through her lawyer to demand payments and also INCREASE payments.

Failure to pay child support is a crime punishable by time in prison. Need I say AGAIN the system is broken ? You have a system contributing to the destruction of black nuclear families through welfare, debt, crime, and yes child support, the only ones who benefit are private prison companies and government. Did you know that 70% of the people incarcerated for not paying child support make under $10,000 a year ? What happens if the parent is already in jail ? Child support can become a huge debt load, because it doesn't stop. Rehabilitation, getting these guys back on their feet employed while trying to make amends with a woman scorned (and hey maybe it was the man's fault) becomes increasingly difficult on top of trying to be there for the children (which I'll touch on in my next posts). Jailing someone over child support greatly impacts the long-term ability to provide making it harder to find employment with a criminal record. Even more difficult, families making under 10k a year don't often have proper legal representation. It's too easy and downright disrespectful to say "well wear a condom" anything can happen in a relationship with a woman, people fall out of love all the time. Kids are a beautiful thing and shouldn't be looked at as a burden, for a lot of good fathers their children are all they have and make every day worth living. You shouldn't be faced with jail time for falling behind in child support payments.

Now sure there are bad apples and people who utterly abuse the system but there are also good people who well and deserve it and will provide for their kids but do they need to be thrown in jail for missing payments ? Nope, but in this NY Times article (By Frances Robles and Shaila Dewan) here are the stories of many who felt the crushing force of the law and child support that ruined their lives.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/20/us/skip-child-support-go-to-jail-lose-job-repeat.html?_r=0

Here's excerpts from the article but I recommend the judges read it entirety:

"The problem begins with child support orders that, at the outset, can exceed parents’ ability to pay. When parents fall short, the authorities escalate collection efforts, withholding up to 65 percent of a paycheck, seizing bank deposits and tax refunds, suspending driver’s licenses and professional licenses, and then imposing jail time."

“Parents who are truly destitute go to jail over and over again for child support debt simply because they’re poor,” said Sarah Geraghty, a lawyer with the Southern Center for Human Rights, which filed a class-action lawsuit in Georgia on behalf of parents incarcerated without legal representation for failure to pay. “We see many cases in which the person is released, they’re given three months to pay a large amount of money, and then if they can’t do that they’re tossed right back in the county jail.”

"I am behind now, and they are threatening to suspend my driver’s license — and I’m a truck driver” - Jahmal Holmes

I leave this for the judges to look at and read. Not paying Child Support should NOT warrant jail time and does more damage long-term not just to the people involved, but to the community as well... thank you all I will patiently await my turn.

dxxzufnbw64f.gif

We ending debates in the first post now? @SolemnSauce were cool but just throw the towel already and lets move on to the next debate...

You went in like:
    owrcf71108fu.gif

• CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Failure to pay child support should NOT warrant jail time. Everyday life can happen to a person where they can't pay for child support certain months and the interest and more can cause payments to become even more difficult to make causing them to miss payments. A person sent to prison for child support can lose their job and means to pay child support. Not only that, even while a man is locked up, the payments and interest don't stop. A woman can even go as far as filing a contempt action through her lawyer to demand payments and also INCREASE payments.

Failure to pay child support is a crime punishable by time in prison. Need I say AGAIN the system is broken ? You have a system contributing to the destruction of black nuclear families through welfare, debt, crime, and yes child support, the only ones who benefit are private prison companies and government. Did you know that 70% of the people incarcerated for not paying child support make under $10,000 a year ? What happens if the parent is already in jail ? Child support can become a huge debt load, because it doesn't stop. Rehabilitation, getting these guys back on their feet employed while trying to make amends with a woman scorned (and hey maybe it was the man's fault) becomes increasingly difficult on top of trying to be there for the children (which I'll touch on in my next posts). Jailing someone over child support greatly impacts the long-term ability to provide making it harder to find employment with a criminal record. Even more difficult, families making under 10k a year don't often have proper legal representation. It's too easy and downright disrespectful to say "well wear a condom" anything can happen in a relationship with a woman, people fall out of love all the time. Kids are a beautiful thing and shouldn't be looked at as a burden, for a lot of good fathers their children are all they have and make every day worth living. You shouldn't be faced with jail time for falling behind in child support payments.

Now sure there are bad apples and people who utterly abuse the system but there are also good people who well and deserve it and will provide for their kids but do they need to be thrown in jail for missing payments ? Nope, but in this NY Times article (By Frances Robles and Shaila Dewan) here are the stories of many who felt the crushing force of the law and child support that ruined their lives.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/20/us/skip-child-support-go-to-jail-lose-job-repeat.html?_r=0

"The problem begins with child support orders that, at the outset, can exceed parents’ ability to pay. When parents fall short, the authorities escalate collection efforts, withholding up to 65 percent of a paycheck, seizing bank deposits and tax refunds, suspending driver’s licenses and professional licenses, and then imposing jail time."

“Parents who are truly destitute go to jail over and over again for child support debt simply because they’re poor,” said Sarah Geraghty, a lawyer with the Southern Center for Human Rights, which filed a class-action lawsuit in Georgia on behalf of parents incarcerated without legal representation for failure to pay. “We see many cases in which the person is released, they’re given three months to pay a large amount of money, and then if they can’t do that they’re tossed right back in the county jail.”

"I am behind now, and they are threatening to suspend my driver’s license — and I’m a truck driver” - Jahmal Holmes

I leave this for the judges to look at and read. Not paying Child Support should NOT warrant jail time and does more damage long-term not just to the people involved, but to the community as well... thank you all I will patiently await my turn.

dxxzufnbw64f.gif

We ending debates in the first post now? @SolemnSauce were cool but just throw the towel already and lets move on to the next debate...

You went in like:
    owrcf71108fu.gif

on behalf of TeamUSA

giphy.gif
  • HundredEyes
    Options

dxxzufnbw64f.gif

You went in like:
    owrcf71108fu.gif

on behalf of TeamUSA

giphy.gif

Pffffffff
    s5tgx5sh5v8r.gif

? a team murica
  • CapitalB
    Options
    @2stepz_ahead this some ? fam..

outside ? commin in givin talkin points addin to the doscussion..

that ? needs to count as a reply..

we cant ask Sion to delete the ? CAUAE HE'S THE MUTHAFUCKA debating.. he's gonna see it..

for all we know the ? had no clue the ? was ruled unconstitutional in some courts now he bout to go googoogaagaa on google to use that ? as an argument..
  • CapitalB
    Options
    ? pulled the same ? in the zzombie vs younggun debate and ? was warned..

u need to put ur foot down as the head of these debates..
  • CapitalB
    Options
    u ? idiot REREAD the thread title..

RND 2 LMS DEBATE THREAD

this aint an open discussion goofy!!

read the ? openning post..
    NO OUTSIDE COMMENTARY..
  • not_osirus_jenkins
    not_osirus_jenkins Members, Banned Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    And @2stepz_ahead ain't gonna do ? nor is @Sion.
  • yellowtapesport
    yellowtapesport Members Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This ? tryna get banned lol
  • Mastery
    Mastery Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 14,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @Sion @_Goldie_

Can you get rid of the fuckery? Lol
  • CapitalB
    Options
    Mastery wrote: »
    @Sion @_Goldie_

yeh..
    but that ? needs to count as a reply!!
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I wonder if this will change the minds of the E.B.R.C. brigade
  • Mastery
    Options
    @Sion @_Goldie_

yeh..

Nah, @Sion can no longer use that angle since it was posted from someone outside of the debates. At least that's what my decision would be based off the posts in here.
  • CapitalB
    edited January 2017
    Options
    @Sion @_Goldie_

Can you get rid of the ? ? ? Lol

fixed and cosigned

• Mastery
    Options
    His posts are still there... I can see them.
  • Mastery
    Options
  • Mastery
    Options
    @2stepz_ahead

I could have sworn I asked you to clearly put in the opening posts that people will be BANNED if they try to jump in on these debates before they are finished? Lol
  • CapitalB
    Options
    @Sion @_Goldie_

yeh..

Nah, @Sion can no longer use that angle since it was posted from someone outside of the debates. At least that's what my decision would be based off the posts in here.

I wont use that it's unconstitutional. I think thats fair.

ill_allow_it_community.gif
  • CapitalB
    Options
    @Sion @_Goldie_

yeh..

why do u like givin me a hard time!!?

LET ME WORK ? !!!! hahaha
  • Mastery
    Options
    @Sion @_Goldie_

yeh..

I wont use that it's unconstitutional. I think thats fair.

Just AND Fair? I need to report this to the local news.

ip8tg9puaqs0.jpg
  • SolemnSauce
    SolemnSauce Members Posts: 15,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    38fuvx3wykgp.gif

Errthing gone be ok
  • SolemnSauce
    SolemnSauce Members Posts: 15,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If you haven't noticed..ima put yall up on it.

By creating the narrative and then creating a weak argument against the narrative. I was able to get sion to based his argument on the narrative I created and boxed him into defended that narrative. That's part one of the plan

uqdbk3anxxi8.png

I does this
  • CapitalB
    Options
    If you haven't noticed..ima put yall up on it.

By creating the narrative and then creating a weak argument against the narrative. I was able to get sion to based his argument on the narrative I created and boxed him into defended that narrative. That's part one of the plan

uqdbk3anxxi8.png

I does this

raw
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    Options
    Not going to front, I've been in the shadows, periodically checking on this site for years.

These debates and attempts at genuine conversation, exchanging of ideas and sharpening ones thought process against others within the IC is a great idea.

Props to whomever came up with it and those actually looking to push it down the line as a regular thing.

so next debate are you team America or them other ? ?

Eventually, I'd like to put my name in the hat for some discourse.

Like I said, I check in periodically, but I should be on more often moving forward.

There seems to be some mini-factions here and there or alliances that I'm trying to observe.

I'd be foolish to just dive in and not become somewhat acclimated to the landscape, lol.

Short answer though, I'm team "Which Ever Side is Right"...
    Damn, sounded cooler in my head before I typed it out... I'll have to shorten that...

umm...only two sides.

where u born is your side.

you MAKE your side right

Fair enough, I was born in Trinidad. I was raised in the U.S. since I was 2 years old and am waiting to get my citizenship approval in a couple of months. So technically, I'm still with the non-U.S. team, right? lol

Two quick questions on the serious tip:

1. Are the topics and sides picked randomly?

2. Is the basis of the debate to present for the side of the issue you were given or the position you actually believe? For context, are participants defending positions as a lawyer would (their client being wrong or right is irrelevant) or are we only defending what we personally believe in?

Topics are picked by the judges and the sides are random.

You defend whichever position you are assigned, regardless of personal beliefs.
    It didn't always used to be that way....tell em what happened @Sion

SMIL2.gif
  • Trillfate
    Trillfate Members Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    And @2stepz_ahead ain't gonna do ? nor is @Sion.

Banned? What he do?