Classic Or Not Vol 124......A Piece Of Strange

Options
Stew
Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
edited January 2017 in The Reason
Run DMC's Raising Hell gets in with almost a clean sweep. This album is probably not well known but Ive gotten a few suggestions to do it and I think its a great album worthy of at least the vote so we're gonna try it. A Piece Of Strange is the 3rd album from Cunninlynguist(do your googles if you dont know who they are) dropped today in 2006.

220px-PieceOfStrange.jpg

1. "Where Will You Be?"
2. "Since When"
3. "Nothing to Give"
4. "Caved In" (featuring Cee Lo Green)
5. "Hourglass"
6. "Beautiful Girl"
7. "Inhale (Interlude)"
8. "Brain Cell"
9. "America Loves Gangsters" (featuring Tim Means)
10. "Never Know Why" (featuring Immortal Technique)
11. "The Gates" (featuring Tonedeff)
12. "Damnation (Interlude)"
13. "Hellfire"
14. "Remember Me (Abstract/Reality)"
15. "What'll You Do?"
16. "The Light" (featuring Club Dub)

"Hourglass"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UangBy9EHqc

"Caved In" Ft CeeLo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBa1ShCgITY

Classic Or Not?

Classic Or Not Vol 124......A Piece Of Strange 20 votes

Yup
35%
nawledge_godachewon87Built 4 cuban linxTrollio Lou CypherSoloman_The_WiseRevolver Ocelot 7 votes
Nah
65%
supergangster[Deleted User]5th Letterjust.might.b.okvageneral08IbexD.Original_Goldie_CashmoneyDuxThe Recipe5 Grandx the unknownTDUB1 13 votes

Comments

• supergangster
    supergangster Members Posts: 8,872 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Stew
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »
    Not because I don't like the album, but because I've never heard of the album.

Then this post deserves to be spammed to oblivian.....not cause you've never heard it but you voted without knowing what it sounds like.
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nah
    Stew wrote: »

Then this post deserves to be spammed to oblivian.....not cause you've never heard it but you voted without knowing what it sounds like.

Yeah so its not a classic.

If an album is classic that means it had an impact on the culture.

You noted Raising Hell in your O/P. Now thats a classic. Everybody on this board is familiar with Walk This Way and Peter Piper. I doubt there's a song on A Piece Of Strange that EVERYBODY on this board is familiar with.

Or more importantly, I doubt there's a song on A Piece Of Strange that the majority of Americans, regardless of region, age or socio-economic background are familiar with. And yes, that should be the criteria for labeling an album "classic".
  • The Recipe
    The Recipe Members Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Nah

azs44nlw9kd5.gif

• Stew
    Options

You noted Raising Hell in your O/P. Now thats a classic. Everybody on this board is familiar with Walk This Way and Peter Piper. I doubt there's a song on A Piece Of Strange that EVERYBODY on this board is familiar with.

Or more importantly, I doubt there's a song on A Piece Of Strange that the majority of Americans, regardless of region, age or socio-economic background are familiar with. And yes, that should be the criteria for labeling an album "classic".

All This is irrelevant due to the fact that u voted without ever hearing the album. You would be saying the same exact thing if this was an album you've heard and thought was a classic. Nothin more factual than both of those statements.
  • The Recipe
    The Recipe Members Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nah
    @Mods close up this troll thread
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yup
    Oh wow. I didnt know there were so many homosexuals on this board that think this album isnt a classic.
  • Lou Cypher
    Options
    Yup

This album had a huge impact for an independant album. This album alone took Cunninlynguists and Qn5 Music to whole new levels. They got recognition in The Source magazine for the first time. The album sold well, and every release they did after this album made them more and more popular. Its a unique ass concept album too.

This album changed their careers for the better and was proof to a lot of folks that there was indeed SOUTHERN rappers that were talented and focused on making actual hip hop instead of Trap, Snap, or Crunk music. Back then not many southern rappers were active, Outkast had split up, UGK was inactive, 8Ball and MJG were quiet, Scarface and the Geto Boys were inactive. Besides Ludacris and Little Brother, CunninLynguists were one of the few acts actually doing some hip hop music and they came out with one of the most unique Southern Hip Hop albums ever.

Provided us amazing songs Like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkmQ-mX8v_o

^^one of the best concept songs ever.

Personal songs about their struggles and calling it quits:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkC179BlRRk

This album is a classic.
  • achewon87
    achewon87 Members Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yup
    Classic underground album...

Foh with the hyperbole...
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    Nah
    Lou_Cypher wrote: »

This album had a huge impact for an independant album. This album alone took Cunninlynguists and Qn5 Music to whole new levels. They got recognition in The Source magazine for the first time. The album sold well, and every release they did after this album made them more and more popular. Its a unique ass concept album too.

This album changed their careers for the better and was proof to a lot of folks that there was indeed SOUTHERN rappers that were talented and focused on making actual hip hop instead of Trap, Snap, or Crunk music. Back then not many southern rappers were active, Outkast had split up, UGK was inactive, 8Ball and MJG were quiet, Scarface and the Geto Boys were inactive. Besides Ludacris and Little Brother, CunninLynguists were one of the few acts actually doing some hip hop music and they came out with one of the most unique Southern Hip Hop albums ever.

This album is a classic.

LOL @ "they got recognition of The Source for the first time".

Who still reads The Source? I thought The Source tanked when, well, the internet took over and then Benzino went on his tirade about Eminem (which he was right about).

But yeah, how is a monthly magazine going to keep up with the internet?

Getting recognition in The Source meant something in 1996, but in 2006 who was still reading The Source?

Again, I'm not saying anything negative about the album. I'm not calling it wack, I'm just saying it didn't make a big enough impact to be rated alongside Life After Death, Only Built For Cuban Linx, Low End Theory, ? , It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back and Illmatic.
  • Nah Son
    Nah Son Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Never heard it but I'll check it out
  • x the unknown
    x the unknown Members Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nah
    not a classic at all
  • Lou Cypher
    Options
    Yup
    Lou_Cypher wrote: »

This album is a classic.

LOL @ "they got recognition of The Source for the first time".

Who still reads The Source? I thought The Source tanked when, well, the internet took over and then Benzino went on his tirade about Eminem (which he was right about).

But yeah, how is a monthly magazine going to keep up with the internet?

Getting recognition in The Source meant something in 1996, but in 2006 who was still reading The Source?

Again, I'm not saying anything negative about the album. I'm not calling it wack, I'm just saying it didn't make a big enough impact to be rated alongside Life After Death, Only Built For Cuban Linx, Low End Theory, ? , It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back and Illmatic.

This was back in 2005. When the source was still relevant. For a group who's only recognition came from internet message boards, that was a HUGE accomplishment. The album released and word of mouth plus magazine recognition pushed them further than they've ever gotten. No it didn't change the culture like Illmatic or ob4cl, it didn't get the coverage like those albums did either. With this album, CL literally went from almost nothing to a major underground act with label offers. They decided to create a piece of strange music group and remain independant though.
  • Stew
    Options
    Stop trying to explain ? to him. Underground artist aren't able to make classic albums cause most of America has never heard of them.
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    Nah
    Never heard this album. But can the Realness get a run?
  • TDUB1
    TDUB1 Members Posts: 382 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Nah
    NEVER HEARD OF THIS UNTIL JUST NOW.CLASSIC IS WHEN ANTICIPATION = EXPECTATION AND BEYOND + PLUS CULTURE IMPACT .
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    Nah
    Stop trying to explain ? to him. Underground artist aren't able to make classic albums cause most of America has never heard of them.

Well if that's the case then what's the point of this poll?

Why don't you pick a mainstream album that people have heard of like Niggaz4life or Fear Of A Black Planet?
  • Stew
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I was using your logic to be sarcastic smart guy.
  • Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yup
    5 grand is a bodega ?
  • Revolver Ocelot
    Revolver Ocelot Members Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yup
    achewon87 wrote: »
    Classic underground album...

Foh with the hyperbole...

• Stew
    Options

Then this post deserves to be spammed to oblivion.....not cause you've never heard it but you voted without knowing what it sounds like.

That post was literally spammed into oblivion....

k9rp2jy9zt8x.jpg

Good work guys.
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    Nah
    Can we do Niggaz4life or Fear Of A Black Planet next?
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I haven't heard this album in years lol.
  • Stew
    Options
    Can we do Niggaz4life or Fear Of A Black Planet next?

Ill get around to it. @5th Letter has been trynna get that Mega album up for a min too. I see all the request from the main thread, trust.