The Official World Politics Thread - All Breaking News here.

Options

Comments

• fortyacres
    fortyacres Members, Moderators Posts: 4,479 Regulator
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Bannon has scored a top position on the National Security Council.

but Jim Brown & Steve Harvey will make sure the black community will be secure.
  • DNB1
    DNB1 Members Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I don't understand the logic of not voting at all but being mad that the worse option available is now in power.

It's like say having to buy one of two oranges. One orange isn't quite ripe, the other is completely gone off and has maggots leaking out of it. But if you choose to not buy any you end up with the gone off orange, which you then have to eat. Which orange do you buy?

Stupid analogy I know but to me it really is that simple.
  • Go figure
    Go figure Guests, Members, Confirm Email, Writer Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    DNB1 wrote: »
    I don't understand the logic of not voting at all but being mad that the worse option available is now in power.

It's like say having to buy one of two oranges. One orange isn't quite ripe, the other is completely gone off and has maggots leaking out of it. But if you choose to not buy any you end up with the gone off orange, which you then have to eat. Which orange do you buy?

Lol that analogy simply does not work.

U can opt not to buy either orange until the store starts bringing in ripe oranges. But the idiots will buy out the maggot oranges and the store will continue be careless about the quality of their oranges bc "business as usual" while the other dummies are complaining that u didnt at least buy the not so ripe oranges bc theyre willing to settle for low quality as long as its not "worst quality".
  • Peace_79
    Peace_79 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Go figure wrote: »

U can opt not to buy either orange until the store starts bringing in ripe oranges. But the idiots will buy out the maggot oranges and the store will continue be careless about the quality of their oranges bc "business as usual" while the other dummies are complaining that u didnt at least buy the not so ripe oranges bc theyre willing to settle for low quality as long as its not "worst quality".

Oh word?

Is Donald Trump not President of the United States?

• stringer bell
    stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    http://www.businessinsider.com/philippines-to-disband-anti-drug-police-units-after-rogue-agents-? -south-korean-businessman-2017-1
    Philippine's to disband anti-drug police units after rogue agents ? South Korean businessman

The Philippines police will disband anti-drugs units following the killing of a South Korean businessmen by rogue officers, but the country's president vowed on Sunday to forge ahead with his war on drugs until the last day of his term.

President Rodrigo Duterte said he was embarrassed that anti-drugs officers had abused their power to engage in kidnapping, leading to the death by strangulation of Jee Ick-joo, on the grounds of the national police headquarters.

Duterte said other suspects were still at large and gave them 48 hours to turn themselves in, or have a dead-or-alive bounty on their heads of 5 million pesos ($100,000), for which he would prefer them dead.

His police chief, Ronald dela Rosa, said the breakup of anti-drugs units was necessary to rebuild them, but it could disrupt the progress of the campaign.

"We will dissolve all anti-drugs units in the police," he told a joint news conference with Duterte, when asked if he would overhaul the police.

"I will do my job to the best of my ability I hope I will not fail the president and the Filipino people."

More than 7,000 people have been killed since Duterte, nicknamed "the punisher", unleashed his ? crackdown seven months ago, some 2,250 in police operations and the rest still mostly under investigation.

His six-year term ends in 2022.

Police say many of those so far unsolved could be the work of vigilantes or inter-gang drugs violence.

The campaign has caused alarm in the West and rights groups accuse Duterte of turning a blind eye to a wave of extrajudicial killings by police, mostly of low-level peddlers. Police deny that and say the killings are in self-defence.

Duterte said police who had been subject of internal investigations should be reassigned to work in conflict zones.

Fighting drugs and crime was the key platform of Duterte's election campaign, during which he promised to eradicate illicit drugs within six months.

He said he underestimated the depth of problem, and on Sunday promised the crackdown would continue to the end of his six-year presidency, and criticism would not stop him.

"I do not give a s-, I have a duty to do, and I will do it," he said.
  • Go figure
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Peace_79 wrote: »

Oh word?

Is Donald Trump not President of the United States?

• Peace_79
    Options
    ^^^ So was that a YES or a NO?

Just trying to understand your perspective.
  • Go figure
    Options
    Bruh, u do not need me to tell u whether or not Trump is the president. Get to your point
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Precisely because the problem is one of temperament and character, it will not get better. It will get worse, as power intoxicates Trump and those around him. It will probably end in calamity—substantial domestic protest and violence, a breakdown of international economic relationships, the collapse of major alliances, or perhaps one or more new wars (even with China) on top of the ones we already have. It will not be surprising in the slightest if his term ends not in four or in eight years, but sooner, with impeachment or removal under the 25th Amendment. The sooner Americans get used to these likelihoods, the better.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/01/a-clarifying-moment-in-american-history/514868/
  • Peace_79
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Bruh, u do not need me to tell u whether or not Trump is the president. Get to your point

You didnt "opt out" of ? .

You were complicit in the outcome.

You and over 90 MILLION eligible people didn't vote in the election -

A pool that overwhelmingly consisted of apathetic Democrats.

Do the math...

- You didn't make a moral impact on the world.

- You didn't create an imaginary reality with your ideal presidential candidates.

- You didn't stop time from moving forward.

YOU helped elect Donald Trump as President of the United States.

Own it.

• Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You and over 90 MILLION eligible people didn't vote in the election - a pool of which were overwhelmingly apathetic Democrats.

Do the math...

- You didn't create an imaginary reality with your ideal presidential candidates.

M

Own it.

So what if he lives in state that hillary won in ?
  • Go figure
    edited January 2017
    Options

You and over 90 MILLION eligible people didn't vote in the election - a pool of which were overwhelmingly apathetic Democrats.
    Do the math...
    Own it.

we vote for people who best fit our ideals. Hillary and Trump do not represent me, so i didnt vote AGAINST my ideals, as is my right.

I live in Chicago. Chicago is in Illinois. Illinois went to Hillary.

Stop crying
  • Go figure
    Options
    "Not voting for Hillary is a vote for Trump!"

"Not voting for Trump is a vote for Hillary" (said no one)

mizjrgc7r89h.jpg
  • Go figure
    Options

You're right, i sure as hell didnt do these things. What i also didnt do was vote. Add that one to the list.
  • Go figure
    Options
    @Peace_79 if not voting for Hillary is a vote for Trump

and i myself voted for neither candidate

meaning I actually voted for Trump

but my state voted for Hillary

does that still mean i helped Trump win???

YES or NO????

Just trying to understand your perspective.
  • Peace_79
    edited January 2017
    Options

Do the math...

Own it.

we vote for people who best fit our ideals. Hillary and Trump do not represent me, so i didnt vote AGAINST my ideals, as is my right.

Stop crying

Would you have voted for Hilary of you lived in ... say - Michigan, anyway?

Or is that electoral college BS just a convenient excuse to make you feel better?

Michigan...

A state that Obama won in 2012 by 350,000 votes, Clinton lost by roughly 10,000.

Why? She received 300,000 votes less than Obama did in 2012. [In] Detroit and Wayne County ... More than 75,000 Motown Obama voters did not bother to vote for Clinton!

They did not become Trump voters ... They simply stayed at home. If even a fraction of these lethargic Democrats had turned out to vote, Michigan would have stayed blue.

• Go figure
    edited January 2017
    Options

Do the math...

Own it.

Stop crying

Would you have voted for Hilary of you lived in ... say - Michigan, anyway?

Or is that electoral college BS just a convenient excuse to make you feel better?

Michigan...

A state that Obama won in 2012 by 350,000 votes, Clinton lost by roughly 10,000.

Why? She received 300,000 votes less than Obama did in 2012. [In] Detroit and Wayne County ... More than 75,000 Motown Obama voters did not bother to vote for Clinton!

They did not become Trump voters ... They simply stayed at home. If even a fraction of these lethargic Democrats had turned out to vote, Michigan would have stayed blue.

im not in need of feeling better, clearly u are.

if i didnt vote for hillary in Illinois why would i vote for her in Michigan?

How about instead of veering this into your hypotheticals cuz u dont have a real response we stay right here in reality

talk to any of those people in Michigan...if those democrats didnt vote for Hillary, and yet they are TRUE democrats....maybe u need to rethink whats really going on here, eh? refocus that energy playboy
  • Go figure
    Options
    Michigan...

this proves my point that hillary is ? more than it proves yours

you're smarter than this
  • Peace_79
    Options

Actually, this is simple probability in a zero sum game.

The more eligible people that vote, the higher the odds that HRC wins, overwhelmingly ...

- She had a higher percentage of the popular vote

- Most of the people that stayed home were Democrats

But because of aggressive messaging encouraging apathy and suppressing voter turnout (messaging that you helped propagate)

Trump won EVERY single swing state ...

And subsequently won the election.

• Go figure
    edited January 2017
    Options

Actually, this is simple probability in a zero sum game.

The more eligible people that vote, the higher the odds that HRC wins, overwhelmingly ...

- She had a higher percentage of the popular vote

- Most of the people that stayed home were Democrats

But because of aggressive messaging encouraging apathy and suppressing voter turnout (messaging that you helped propagate)

Trump won EVERY single swing state ...

And subsequently won the election.

its oh so simple. u are over complicating it.

if she was a better candidate, she would've gotten more votes across the board, enough to win.

her campaign was ineffective. thats her fault, not the voters. its her job to get votes.

Biden agrees.

you have been practicing your mental gymnastics lately
  • Peace_79
    edited January 2017
    Options
    See ... all those

- Left, Right, Center
    - Blue, Red, Purple

- Voting, Non-voting principles -

Would have been great in a "NORMAL" election cycle. But as much as you and others tried to convince us...

Trump was NOT a normal candidate ...

This was not a normal election cycle...

Trump is NOT a normal] President...

At some point, yall are going to realize that.