Cal Berkeley Students Shut Down Campus Protesting Milo Yiannopoulos

Options
1CK1S
1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
C3oQhsqWcAUuVst.jpg:large
170201212939-berkeley-protests-thumb-1-exlarge-169.jpg

Milo Yiannopoulos event at Berkeley canceled after protests

opotw6lg399j.jpg

An event for commentator Milo Yiannopoulos at UC Berkeley was canceled Wednesday night after protests erupted.

Black-clad protestors were seen throwing fireworks at police and at the student union center on the Berkeley campus where the Breitbart editor was expected to speak. They were also seen tearing down metal barriers.

UC Berkeley police said on Twitter that Yiannopoulos had left the campus.

"I have been evacuated from the IJC Berkeley campus after violent left-wing protestors tore down barricades, lit fires, threw rocks and Roman candles at the windows and breached the ground floor of the building," Yiannopoulos posted on his verified Facebook account.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/01/us/milo-yiannopoulos-berkeley/index.html

Comments

• Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "Peaceful protest" more fuel for trump
  • infamous114
    infamous114 Members, Moderators Posts: 52,202 Regulator
    Options
    Good. ? that ?
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Good. ? that ? . Idk why he took his conservative ass to liberal ass Berkeley anyway
  • Trillfate
    Trillfate Members Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Berkeley mastered the Art of protest 40, 50 years ago..
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I was about to ask who the guy they're protesting is but then I saw he's some kind of flaming racist.

I just hate they didn't get ahold of the guy
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Good. ? that ? . Idk why he took his conservative ass to liberal ass Berkeley anyway

Gee and here I was thinking an open exchange of ideas instead of living in echo chambers was a good thing.
  • Mr.LV
    Mr.LV Members Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He is going to get stomped out one of these days and I'm going to laugh.
  • marc123
    marc123 Members Posts: 16,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    good for them! Those kids shut that ? down!
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Options
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    Options
    Will Munny wrote: »

Gee and here I was thinking an open exchange of ideas instead of living in echo chambers was a good thing.

Yea cuz that's really what he was hoping for. You know better, william.
  • deadeye
    deadeye Members Posts: 22,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Never heard of him until this thread.
  • marc123
    marc123 Members Posts: 16,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    For those that don't know..........................

This particular ? likes to deflect from his obvious racism by going off on rants about how much he likes black ? n/h

Scust. Literally the ? version of one of those cacs.
  • fortyacres
    fortyacres Members, Moderators Posts: 4,479 Regulator
    edited February 2017
    Options
    ? him

these neo nazis think its gonna be a cakewalk for the next 4 years got another thing coming , Trump gon skate , you aint.
  • Will Munny
    Options

Yea cuz that's really what he was hoping for. You know better, william.

Do you have any racist quotes from him even? I listened to two podcasts with him on the JRE and while I don't align with him politically he said nothing to riot over and nothing racist.

I reaaaalllly hate using terms like "snowflake" but college kids are the worst sometimes.
  • Will Munny
    Options
    Max. wrote: »

I love the hammer fists in the windshield like their gonna do anything haha
  • Plutarch
    Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Swiffness! wrote: »
    For those that don't know..........................

This particular ? likes to deflect from his obvious racism by going off on rants about how much he likes black ? n/h

Scust. Literally the ? version of one of those cacs.
    jono wrote: »
    I was about to ask who the guy they're protesting is but then I saw hes2 some kind of flaming racist.

I just hate they didn't get ahold of the guy
    Shizlansky wrote: »
    He is preaching hate.

So ? him
    Copper wrote: »

I dont need to hear an exchange of ideas from someone that hates me

So here we have claims he's a (obvious) racist, preaches hates, and hates black folk? Honest question: can you support those claims?
  • Plutarch
    Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Options
    deadeye wrote: »

And that's the point that unbelievably continues to fly over everyone's head, imo The worst of this anti-Trump movement only gives the whole movement a bad name and potentially drives "allies" away and drives "enemies" further towards Trump.

Do people still not understand that these kinds of actions helped get him elected in the first place? Yiannopoulos went from having relatively little publicity to now having a nationwide audience as a result of the media attention he's now getting. Are we still not aware of the Streisand effect?

Simply put, he doesn't need a reason. His reason or politics should be irrelevant.
    Trillfate wrote: »

Is that not ironic though? Berkeley births the Free Speech Movement only to censor free speech a half century later. Is that not a hypocritical problem? Or are we OK with double standards?

I thought so too. Either I've slipped into the twilight zone and people are steady losing their minds over Trump, or I just never got the memo that free speech is un-American.
  • CashmoneyDux
    CashmoneyDux Members Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @Will Munny damn it must be so hard being white. I know youre having a tough time adjusting using the same facilities as minorities.

I hate using the term "retards" but uneducated people are the worst sometimes.
  • (Nope)
    (Nope) Members Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Plutarch wrote: »
    deadeye wrote: »

And that's the point that unbelievably continues to fly over everyone's head, imo The worst of this anti-Trump movement only gives the whole movement a bad name and potentially drives "allies" away and drives "enemies" further towards Trump.

Do people still not understand that these kinds of actions helped get him elected in the first place? Yiannopoulos went from having relatively little publicity to now having a nationwide audience as a result of the media attention he's now getting. Are we still not aware of the Streisand effect?

Simply put, he doesn't need a reason. His reason or politics should be irrelevant.
    Trillfate wrote: »

Is that not ironic though? Berkeley births the Free Speech Movement only to censor free speech a half century later. Is that not a hypocritical problem? Or are we OK with double standards?

I thought so too. Either I've slipped into the twilight zone and people are steady losing their minds over Trump, or I just never got the memo that free speech is un-American.

Milo is not a scholar and should not be invited to University's to speak to scholars and learners. What does he bring to the discussion? Whatever far-right group decided it was a good idea to bring this obvious provocateur to campus needs to be checked and balanced.

I'm not excusing the riots, but Milo and his sponsors got what they came there for.