The Documentary.... Overall, Regional, or Not a classic at all???

Options
GetoBoy
GetoBoy Members Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2017 in The Reason
I was just giving Game album Documentary a random run back and it took me back to the time when it came out and reminded me why it's a classic in my eyes that album was the only major album coming out of Cali at the time it basically had the state on its back and everybody from the bay down was riding out to it so I can only speak for where I'm at plus I know he wasn't the first but he basically made blood rappers a "thing" now so for better or worse it had the impact.... The quality from production to lyrics to features was top notch so it had the quality.... And it still bumps to me and has aged very well so it has that going... My question is is this just a Cali thing or is this album a classic all over or am I just bugging and it ain't a classic at all

The Documentary.... Overall, Regional, or Not a classic at all??? 67 votes

Overall Classic
71%
eternal soldier[Deleted User]youngnicksapp08_2001tharealest561damnkp5th Letterleftcoastkevinfamous114black caesarmindrightachewon87bkzlostchildMax.L.O.S.T.Bmore Boynujerz84its....JOHN BCabana_Da_DonAlready Home_17 48 votes
Regional Classic
4%
Mister B.soulfulcatKnowReasonForPeace 3 votes
Not A Classic
23%
dwade206 i ro nyTHE_R_gman82MECCA1000illedoutBackInWhiteIbexCeLLaR-DooRBobOblahD.OriginalKamPushMeTrillfatesaracenwireonetoughmiracleD. Morgan 16 votes

Comments

• sapp08_2001
    sapp08_2001 Members Posts: 7,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Overall Classic
    Whole album is still fire. Came at the perfect time when the whole G-unit camp was selling platinum plus. Props
  • GetoBoy
    Options
    Overall Classic
    Whole album is still fire. Came at the perfect time when the whole G-unit camp was selling platinum plus. Props

I'm just tryna make sure becuz I hear alot of ppl in here that like to say it's only a regional classic so I just wanna know do they sperate regional and overall when they discuss this as a classic
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    Overall Classic
    I've changed my stance on this album. I think it's a masterpiece.
  • GetoBoy
    Options
    Overall Classic
    Outside of the name dropping which really ain't a big problem to me somebody gotta explain what's been the hesitation ppl have had on it being a overall classic I mean clearly it ain't even in the vault for a reason.... Unless it is and I ain't know
  •  i ro ny
    i ro ny Members Posts: 8,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Not A Classic

hard ? no for me.

game could barely rap on his debut album. that ? was filled with non-rhymes and name dropping behind great production.

• Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Options
  • THE_R_
    THE_R_ Members Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Not A Classic
    THIS ALBUM SCREAMS "FACTORY" THUG.
    LIKE AN ASSEMBLY LINE "HOT FOR THE MOMENT" ? PUT THIS TOGETHER...
    ? WAS TRASH TBH, I PREFER HUNGER FOR MORE.
  • GetoBoy
    Options
    Overall Classic
    Stew wrote: »

A few years is a long time minds change... But I mostly hear it's not illmatic type overall classic but a regional classic or not one at all just wanna see where ppl stand today
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Overall Classic
    Its a classic.
  • BackInWhite
    BackInWhite Members Posts: 23,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Not A Classic
    It's not a classic
    Stop overrating ?
  • Lefty_
    Lefty_ Members, Writer Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Im on the fence, but cali was dead in 2005. He made a way for a lotta ? with this album, and truth be told. I didnt really see ? start bein bloods until he blew. I havent listened to it all the way through for some time, but as far as impact, the dre cosign, the g unit stamp, the huge hit, the street cred(at the time) and the ? had bars, he left a crater, honestly, i think he should be much bigger than he is, and thats sayin somethin because 12 years in, he still makes noise, and not everybody do that.
  • Preach2Teach
    Preach2Teach Members Posts: 3,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Overall Classic
    Classic to me over here in the UK, that album was big as ? over here at the time, 50 wrote afew hooks big deal, Game has proven many times since Documentary that he is capable of creating great albums, this ? needs a vault re-do!
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Overall Classic
    My old opinion in that vault thread still stands tho, I still enjoy and listen to doctors advocate more
  • GetoBoy
    Options
    Overall Classic
    I'm normally of the opinion that any album of high quality that impacts a whole reign is a regional classic but one of high quality that crosses and impacts everywhere should be a for sure classic especially when it stands the test of time you could put on how we do today and it'll still feel fresh
  • bck145
    bck145 Members Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Overall Classic
    Probably the best album during the shady/g unit run
  • Ibex
    Ibex Members Posts: 7,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Not A Classic
    Westside Story
    Dreams
    Hate it Or Love it
    How We Do
    Higher
    Put You on the Game
    Runnin
    Where I'm From
    Like Father Like Son....Are the standout tracks the rest of the album ehhh. Documentary was a good album but you giving me 9 out of 18 tracks I can't call it a classic.
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    this is tough cause its a personal fave of mine but i cant rank it as highly as classic from other artist.

like The Chronic,? etc are CLASSICS i dont feel this is on the level those albums are on.
  • tharealest561
    tharealest561 Members Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Overall Classic
    The album was a classic of the 00's. He made a LOT of noise with this project and, like someone said earlier, he really did bring the west back at a time when they were on life support.

Nobody outside of Snoop was anchoring the left coast and Snoop was more on his Pharrell, Huggy Bear ? at the time.
  • achewon87
    achewon87 Members Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Overall Classic
    Last west coast album to do numbers was Cube's "War & Peace Vol 2" went gold in 2000...

2006 both Cube and E40 went gold, E40 dropped an album in 04 and sold 50k...

This album had impact on top of being really really dope...

Game's name dropping confirms he's a hiphop head like the rest of us, lyrical dexterity might be lacking but he makes that up with being open & honest on a lot of tracks imo...
  • youngnick
    youngnick Members Posts: 600 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Overall Classic
    This album is the definition of a classic; not one skippable song.
  • gee757
    gee757 Members Posts: 26,374
    Options
    No klassik...making up dates & Name-dropping ya whole album ain't rapping plus yukmouth was/is better then the lame & he didn't need a ny snitch to help him write wit ? ass Dre's beats
    THE_R_ wrote: »

That's the whole reason y Suge didn't sign the stripper gaysta rapper to deathrow cuz he didnt know how to work a change of heart contestant tongue ring queen butterfly mush face fake piru Santana crip gq blonde hair hazel eyes ? model into a gangster rapper..
  • Like Water
    Like Water Members Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Overall Classic
    gee757 wrote: »
    No klassik...making up dates & Name-dropping ya whole album ain't rapping plus yukmouth was/is better then the lame & he didn't need a ny snitch to help him write wit ? ass Dre's beats

That's the whole reason y Suge didn't sign the stripper gaysta rapper to deathrow cuz he didnt know how to work a change of heart contestant tongue ring queen butterfly mush face fake piru Santana crip gq blonde hair hazel eyes ? model into a gangster rapper..

You can't debate intelligently without emotion and name-calling, can you? That lil shtick ran its course long ago. Do better, ? .

Classic. Game has one of the most consistent discography's in hip-hopes, easily. Year of The Wolf is his only ? release in like 12 years. Everything else ranges from at least ok up to classic, starting with The Documentary.
  • gee757
    gee757 Members Posts: 26,374
    Options
    Like Water wrote: »
    gee757 wrote: »

You can't debate intelligently without emotion and name-calling, can you? That lil shtick ran its course long ago. Do better, ? .

Classic. Game has one of the most consistent discography's in hip-hopes, easily. Year of The Wolf is his only ? release in like 12 years. Everything else ranges from at least ok up to classic, starting with The Documentary.

Plz the only thing consistent about game is him getting dates wrong & that wack ass name dropping That's y ? mixtapes is out selling his ALBUM now