Rick Ross, the best CEO/rapper

Options
Muhannad
Muhannad Members Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭✭✭
Say what you want about Renzel, but tell me which rapper with an imprint lets his artists shine and put out material on a consecutive basis? Tell me which rapper/CEO allows his artists artistic freedom? Stalley might not be the most mainstream, marketable rapper and his subject matter might not be for the masses, but Ross allowed him to be himself and put his material out. Wale could also be himself. All his artists have seemed satisfied. Only rapper that complained was Pill (who?), but he has never been relevant pre or post-MMG.
You know how Rakim and Busta said Dre tried to force them to change their subject matter when they were on Aftermath to appeal to the masses. MOP and Mobb Deep had to change their style when they were on G-unit, to be more marketable. Ross seems to allow his artists artistic freedom and maybe it's because he's been trying to get on for the longest.

Normally active rappers/CEO's will always put their own interest before others. I've even heard rappers accuse Jay Z of that when he was still putting out albums. You know how LL was going hard at him for a while when Jay Z was @ Def Jam.

Say what you want, but Renzel is the GOAT rapper/CEO. Do you agree or disagree. State why...

Comments

• DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "I'm the best C.O.! I'm the worst C.O.!" - Shenco's reference track for rozay
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think Buckshot from Duck Down records is a good one. He is Co Owner and probably not the main "business" guy, but im sure Ross is similar to Buckshot in that aspect.

Slug from Rhymesayers records. One of the most successful Indie labels out there.

Oddisee doesnt own it, but he plays a big role for Mello Music Group on the business side of things.

• Lefty_
    Lefty_ Members, Writer Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Jay-Z, and Kanye have bigger, more fruitful coaching trees than rick ross. And Jay Signed both of them.

Good Music > MMG
  • x the unknown
    x the unknown Members Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    stop it aye you tripping hard
  • Muhannad
    Muhannad Members Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lou_Cypher wrote: »
    I think Buckshot from Duck Down records is a good one. He is Co Owner and probably not the main "business" guy, but im sure Ross is similar to Buckshot in that aspect.

Slug from Rhymesayers records. One of the most successful Indie labels out there.

Oddisee doesnt own it, but he plays a big role for Mello Music Group on the business side of things.
    I thought Dru-Ha was CEO, but I should've said mainstream rappers/CEO's.
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Not even close
  • trendsetta1030
    trendsetta1030 Members Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Options
    They all got 360 deals… no platnuim hits ova ther… meek reinvented mmg … 50 was bout to burry Ross then he discover meek an had a hit bmf song … but
    Gucci>ross
    Under Gucci you got
    Migos
    Nikky Minaj
    French Montana - after max b he needed a home
    Young dolph
    Waka flocks
    Young thug
    Chief keef
    Slim dunkin
    Oj da juiceman
    He helped yo Gotti career
  • Busta Carmichael
    Busta Carmichael Members, Moderators Posts: 13,161 Regulator
    Options
    Weezy >>>> Rozay

Two of his artists are international popstars in today's climate and held their spots for about 8 years now.

And Tyga may be wack but he ain't going nowhere, especially since he's a Kardashian now.
  • trendsetta1030
    trendsetta1030 Members Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lefty_ wrote: »
    Jay-Z, and Kanye have bigger, more fruitful coaching trees than rick ross. And Jay Signed both of them.

Good Music > MMG
    Nobody in roc a fella went platnuim besides camron
    Kanye don't count he came after the ? was crumbling
  • The Recipe
    The Recipe Members Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There is a long list of failed rapper ceo's gotta give renzel his props, shout out to lil waynes young money. He put on with Drake and Nicki.
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I guess if there must be category for one.

What next?

Best butcher/rapper?

Best dad/rapper?

Best postman/rapper?

Best trashman/rapper?

Best cobbler/rapper?
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Muhannad wrote: »
    Lou_Cypher wrote: »

I thought Dru-Ha was CEO, but I should've said mainstream rappers/CEO's.

Dru Ha is probably the active CEO, but the company was Founded by both Him and Buckshot.

Rhymesayers has a similar situation. It was Founded by Slug, Ant, and Siddic. Siddic has the official title of CEO though.
  • bck145
    bck145 Members Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Disagree....he hasn't put out any classic albums and he might let his artist be themselves but they aren't dropping classic albums either

And it's not like they haven't been around for awhile now...but they don't make that good music

Is he successful sure....but as a rapper he's trash and his roster is pretty garbage as well, he has yet to turn anyone into a star
  • Cinco
    Cinco Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 5,097 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ross the biggest boss
  • TDUB1
    TDUB1 Members Posts: 382 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I might have to say so in these times for sure .Even Stalley delusional ass got a release date..Shout out to Rozay
  • Revolver Ocelot
    Revolver Ocelot Members Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lefty_ wrote: »

Good Music > MMG
    Nobody in roc a fella went platnuim besides camron
    Kanye don't count he came after the ? was crumbling

Bleek, Kanye, and DJ Clue all had platinum albums.
  • MasterJayN100
    MasterJayN100 Members Posts: 11,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • $tayRichROLLIN
    $tayRichROLLIN Members Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Didn't beans go platinum once?
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • sapp08_2001
    sapp08_2001 Members Posts: 7,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nah. Master P or Baby/Slim yes
  • Lefty_
    Lefty_ Members, Writer Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sion wrote: »
    Jay-Z is the best CEO in the rap game easily. That shouldn't even be up for discussion.

Master P I think is spectacular if you want to have money and own your music and have no ? in regards to fame. Master P is great to start from.

I'd be more content in this situation than Jay's, knowing what fame can buy you ain't worth what it can cost you.

I think P would have more money than Jay if he wasn't soooooooo diversified at his peak. That ? had everything from gas stations to rap snacks, I think this ? even had a cell phone service at one point.

His run was so crazy, he hasn't made legit rap money in 15 years and he's still estimated to be worth 300 million+.
  • sapp08_2001
    sapp08_2001 Members Posts: 7,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lets be clear. I salute Ross for bringing a talented group of brothers together and making hits and selling quality records. Also for his talent and longevity in the rap game. But if were talking Rapper/CEO wise theres Jay-Z, Master P, 50 cent, Puffy, and Birdman ahead of him. But i think in time its possible for Ross
  • BackInWhite
    BackInWhite Members Posts: 23,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    All time it gotta be P, Jay or Puffy
    For the last decade, half decade it's Ross
    ? can't say Wayne cuz he can't even drop his own ?
    Nicki and drake are more self made than anything
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jay is a better rapper, a better 'boss' and is more of a boss than Ricky