So The Messicans Are Salty About Immigration Law Being Enforced

Options
Maximus Rex
Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2017 in For The Grown & Sexy
For years, immigration authorities gave this Arizona mother a pass. Now she has been deported.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2017/02/09/for-decades-immigration-authorities-gave-this-mother-a-pass-wednesday-when-she-checked-in-with-them-they-seized-her/?utm_term=.5d432cd2449e

By Samantha Schmidt and Sarah Larimer February 9

Seven protesters were arrested outside a Phoenix immigration center after blocking a van that carried an undocumented migrant from Mexico, Guadalupe García de Rayos, who was taken into custody and issued an order of deportation at her regular check-in. (Photo: Arizona Republic via AP/Reuters)

About eight years ago, there was a knock on Guadalupe García de Rayos’s door. Authorities had come to arrest the undocumented mother of two U.S.-born children, a Mexican native who had lived north of the border since she was 14.

The Phoenix mother was detained for months and eventually ordered to be sent back to Mexico. But for the subsequent years, after she appealed her voluntary deportation, García de Rayos was allowed to remain in the United States, as long as she checked in once a year, and then every six months.

Each year, she did so, and each year, immigration officials let her stay

This year, as García de Rayos feared, was different. When she went to check in as usual at the central Phoenix offices of Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), she was taken into custody as protests erupted outside.

García de Rayos was perhaps among the first undocumented immigrants to be arrested during a scheduled meeting with immigration officials since President Trump’s inauguration, civil rights lawyers told the New York Times. And now, she is gone.

Carlos García, director of the group Puente Arizona, said Thursday that García de Rayos was no longer in the United States.

“She has been deported,” he told a crowd. “And this has been one of the first victims of President Trump.”

ICE confirmed the deportation, saying in a statement that García de Rayos was “removed” to Mexico on Thursday morning, shortly before 10 a.m. local time.

Having anticipated her possible detention, Puente Arizona had on Wednesday organized a rally outside the offices, and crowds swelled to about 200 people at the peak of the gathering, the Arizona Republic reported. Protesters, including de Rayos’s two children, shouted, “No papers, no fear” and “Let her go, set her free,” as others banged on drums and raised posters and flags.

For several hours, demonstrators blocked an ICE van with García de Rayos inside; one man even tied himself to one of the van’s front wheels. It was unclear whether the van was taking García de Rayos and other deportees to Mexico or to detention. Seven protesters were arrested, but the majority of the demonstration was peaceful, Phoenix police said.

White House press secretary Sean Spicer on Thursday directed questions on the matter to ICE.

“I’m going to refer you back to ICE on that. That’s an ICE matter,” Spicer said during Thursday’s briefing. “The issue is developing in Arizona right now, and I would refer you back to ICE.”

In a statement posted to Twitter on Thursday, Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton (D) wrote: “What happened last night to Guadalupe García de Rayos is a travesty.”

“She has been peacefully living and working in the Valley for more than two decades, and by all accounts was building a life and contributing to our community,” it said. “She has now been torn apart from her family.”

García de Rayos’s arrest and deportation is likely to mark a shift in priorities under Trump. Previously, the Obama administration prioritized the deportation of people who were violent offenders or had ties to criminal gangs. Trump’s executive order on Jan. 25 expanded priorities to include any undocumented immigrants who had been convicted of a criminal offense.

In an earlier statement, ICE officials said García de Rayos was detained based on a removal order issued by the Justice Department’s Executive Office for Immigration Review, which became final in May 2013, and was spurred by a prior felony conviction dating from March 2009 for criminal impersonation.

The conviction stems from one of former Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio’s worksite raids targeting the Golfland Entertainment Centers, which operated several water and mini-golf parks. Sheriff’s deputies seized hundreds of employment records and later arrested García de Rayos at her house, the Arizona Republic reported. She pleaded guilty to a charge of criminal impersonation, a Class 6 felony, the lowest level.

After being arrested and turned over to ICE, García de Rayos spent six months at the Eloy Detention Center. She has been fighting recently to have her felony conviction thrown out on grounds that Arpaio’s worksite raids were unconstitutional. Puente Arizona filed a lawsuit in 2015 to end Arpaio’s raids, an often-touted law-enforcement tactic that has led to the arrests of hundreds of immigrant workers since 2008.

“It has 100 percent to do with the executive order,” Ray Ybarra-Maldonado, a Phoenix immigration lawyer who is representing García de Rayos, told the Arizona Republic.

Ybarra-Maldonado immediately filed documents asking ICE to stay her deportation, on the basis that she has lived in the United States since she was 14, has two children who are U.S. citizens and is fighting to have her felony conviction overturned, he told reporters.

That effort was unsuccessful.

Protesters said they initially stopped the vehicles from leaving, but that they later left the grounds by another exit, the Associated Press reported.

García, the Puente Arizona director, told the Republic that ICE’s decision to take García de Rayos into custody would likely spur other undocumented immigrants who were released on supervision to stop checking in. Now, he said, they might be more likely to go into hiding.

“Most definitely, if what’s going to happen when people come to check in they are going to get detained and deported, I would assume most people will not turn themselves in,” he said.

When asked what she would tell Trump if she had the chance, García de Rayos’s 14-year-old daughter told reporters: “I’d ask him why he would want to take her from me. She hasn’t done anything wrong and I’m not scared of him.”

Asked how long she planned to fight the U.S. government, her daughter had a simple answer, the Arizona Republic reported: “Until I get my mom back.”

Actually the family hasn't been "torn apart." They can go and be together in Mexico. Now I need somebody to explain to me why this is ? up why the federal government shouldn't be enforcing immigration law. Also, where are these kids daddy and his people at? These muthafuckas have some nerve though. How are you going to ? about being deported when your ass wasn't even supposed to be here from jump? It's like me sellin' dope on the track for "x" amount of time, then when task force finally raids, muthafuckas stage a protest because I was arrested for sellin' dope.

Comments

• The_Jackal
    The_Jackal Members Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I don't understand why ? in here always need some ? explained to them. 9 times out of 10 whoever the person is that ask that question already has their mind made up about ? .

As far as my personal feelings goes I don't care. Obviously if you are illegally residing (and the residing part is important) then if caught by ICE agents you should be deported . Anyone arguing the case of having opens borders is just an idiot.
  • The_Jackal
    Options
    Lefty_ wrote: »
    Obama was gettin mexicans outta here too, it just ain't make the news.
    Deportation being going on during every presidency. It's just now with Trump every little thing is being hyped.
  • Maximus Rex
    Options
    The_Jackal wrote: »
    Obviously if you are illegally residing (and the residing part is important) then if caught by ICE agents you should be important. Anyone arguing the case of having opens borders is just an idiot.

So only El Chapo should be deported?
  • The_Jackal
    Options
    Obviously if you are illegally residing (and the residing part is important) then if caught by ICE agents you should be important. Anyone arguing the case of having opens borders is just an idiot.

No I'm saying that anyone who is illegal residing (as in living and not just a migrant worker) should be deported. And Chapo never lived in the US how could he be deported? That doesn't make sense
  • onetoughmiracle
    onetoughmiracle Members Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't understand why ? in here always need some ? explained to them. 9 times out of 10 whoever the person is that ask that question already has their mind made up about ? .

As far as my personal feelings goes I don't care. Obviously if you are illegally residing (and the residing part is important) then if caught by ICE agents you should be deported . Anyone arguing the case of having opens borders is just an idiot.

This
  • trendsetta1030
    trendsetta1030 Members Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    For years, immigration authorities gave this Arizona mother a pass. Now she has been deported.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2017/02/09/for-decades-immigration-authorities-gave-this-mother-a-pass-wednesday-when-she-checked-in-with-them-they-seized-her/?utm_term=.5d432cd2449e

By Samantha Schmidt and Sarah Larimer February 9

Seven protesters were arrested outside a Phoenix immigration center after blocking a van that carried an undocumented migrant from Mexico, Guadalupe García de Rayos, who was taken into custody and issued an order of deportation at her regular check-in. (Photo: Arizona Republic via AP/Reuters)

About eight years ago, there was a knock on Guadalupe García de Rayos’s door. Authorities had come to arrest the undocumented mother of two U.S.-born children, a Mexican native who had lived north of the border since she was 14.

The Phoenix mother was detained for months and eventually ordered to be sent back to Mexico. But for the subsequent years, after she appealed her voluntary deportation, García de Rayos was allowed to remain in the United States, as long as she checked in once a year, and then every six months.

Each year, she did so, and each year, immigration officials let her stay

This year, as García de Rayos feared, was different. When she went to check in as usual at the central Phoenix offices of Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), she was taken into custody as protests erupted outside.

García de Rayos was perhaps among the first undocumented immigrants to be arrested during a scheduled meeting with immigration officials since President Trump’s inauguration, civil rights lawyers told the New York Times. And now, she is gone.

Carlos García, director of the group Puente Arizona, said Thursday that García de Rayos was no longer in the United States.

“She has been deported,” he told a crowd. “And this has been one of the first victims of President Trump.”

ICE confirmed the deportation, saying in a statement that García de Rayos was “removed” to Mexico on Thursday morning, shortly before 10 a.m. local time.

Having anticipated her possible detention, Puente Arizona had on Wednesday organized a rally outside the offices, and crowds swelled to about 200 people at the peak of the gathering, the Arizona Republic reported. Protesters, including de Rayos’s two children, shouted, “No papers, no fear” and “Let her go, set her free,” as others banged on drums and raised posters and flags.

For several hours, demonstrators blocked an ICE van with García de Rayos inside; one man even tied himself to one of the van’s front wheels. It was unclear whether the van was taking García de Rayos and other deportees to Mexico or to detention. Seven protesters were arrested, but the majority of the demonstration was peaceful, Phoenix police said.

White House press secretary Sean Spicer on Thursday directed questions on the matter to ICE.

“I’m going to refer you back to ICE on that. That’s an ICE matter,” Spicer said during Thursday’s briefing. “The issue is developing in Arizona right now, and I would refer you back to ICE.”

In a statement posted to Twitter on Thursday, Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton (D) wrote: “What happened last night to Guadalupe García de Rayos is a travesty.”

“She has been peacefully living and working in the Valley for more than two decades, and by all accounts was building a life and contributing to our community,” it said. “She has now been torn apart from her family.”

García de Rayos’s arrest and deportation is likely to mark a shift in priorities under Trump. Previously, the Obama administration prioritized the deportation of people who were violent offenders or had ties to criminal gangs. Trump’s executive order on Jan. 25 expanded priorities to include any undocumented immigrants who had been convicted of a criminal offense.

In an earlier statement, ICE officials said García de Rayos was detained based on a removal order issued by the Justice Department’s Executive Office for Immigration Review, which became final in May 2013, and was spurred by a prior felony conviction dating from March 2009 for criminal impersonation.

The conviction stems from one of former Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio’s worksite raids targeting the Golfland Entertainment Centers, which operated several water and mini-golf parks. Sheriff’s deputies seized hundreds of employment records and later arrested García de Rayos at her house, the Arizona Republic reported. She pleaded guilty to a charge of criminal impersonation, a Class 6 felony, the lowest level.

After being arrested and turned over to ICE, García de Rayos spent six months at the Eloy Detention Center. She has been fighting recently to have her felony conviction thrown out on grounds that Arpaio’s worksite raids were unconstitutional. Puente Arizona filed a lawsuit in 2015 to end Arpaio’s raids, an often-touted law-enforcement tactic that has led to the arrests of hundreds of immigrant workers since 2008.

“It has 100 percent to do with the executive order,” Ray Ybarra-Maldonado, a Phoenix immigration lawyer who is representing García de Rayos, told the Arizona Republic.

Ybarra-Maldonado immediately filed documents asking ICE to stay her deportation, on the basis that she has lived in the United States since she was 14, has two children who are U.S. citizens and is fighting to have her felony conviction overturned, he told reporters.

That effort was unsuccessful.

Protesters said they initially stopped the vehicles from leaving, but that they later left the grounds by another exit, the Associated Press reported.

García, the Puente Arizona director, told the Republic that ICE’s decision to take García de Rayos into custody would likely spur other undocumented immigrants who were released on supervision to stop checking in. Now, he said, they might be more likely to go into hiding.

“Most definitely, if what’s going to happen when people come to check in they are going to get detained and deported, I would assume most people will not turn themselves in,” he said.

When asked what she would tell Trump if she had the chance, García de Rayos’s 14-year-old daughter told reporters: “I’d ask him why he would want to take her from me. She hasn’t done anything wrong and I’m not scared of him.”

Asked how long she planned to fight the U.S. government, her daughter had a simple answer, the Arizona Republic reported: “Until I get my mom back.”

Actually the family hasn't been "torn apart." They can go and be together in Mexico. Now I need somebody to explain to me why this is ? up why the federal government shouldn't be enforcing immigration law. Also, where are these kids daddy and his people at? These muthafuckas have some nerve though. How are you going to ? about being deported when your ass wasn't even supposed to be here from jump? It's like me sellin' dope on the track for "x" amount of time, then when task force finally raids, muthafuckas stage a protest because I was arrested for sellin' dope.

Ain't tha dope you selling but were you selling
  • 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Deportation being going on during every presidency. It's just now with Trump every little thing is being hyped.

Probably because he's a ? ? about it.
  • 7figz
    edited February 2017
    Options
    On some other ? though, I don't think the law needs no extra ? power and authority to be doing this ? .

Like ? with people because they "suspect that their immigrants" or raiding peoples' homes and ? .

Be careful what you stand behind.

Like The_Jackal already said, "it's been going on"... so what's the use of executive orders and other BS and ICE doing national raids and ? ?
  • Maximus Rex
    Options

No I'm saying that anyone who is illegal residing (as in living and not just a migrant worker) should be deported. And Chapo never lived in the US how could he be deported? That doesn't make sense

You made a typo and said "important," instead of "deported." I was being scarastic.
  • The_Jackal
    Options
    7figz wrote: »

I agree that factors into it also.
    On some other ? , though I don't think the law needs no extra ? power and authority to be doing this ? .

Like ? with people because they "suspect that their immigrants" or raiding peoples' homes and ? .

Like The_Jackal already said, "it's been going on"... so what's the use of executive orders and other BS and ICE raiding doing national raids and ? ?

You have to understand that he aspires to also win a second term. His political team KNOWS they are going to be in a very harder fight for midterm election and next presidential elections. (if he isn't impeached) They realize that all the people who didn't vote most likely will vote against him, all the people who voted for Bernie or a third party will unify under a single Democrat and Republicans aren't to thrilled with him and the fact that his wall will cost 21B and tax payers will have to pick it up, that he is clearly cozying up to Putin, and more importantly to his core voters that he hasn't completely done away with Obamacare.

So the only thing he can do is delivery on the promise that he can go through with. I think with this presidency people are going to see the president has alot less power then they think he has.
  • ThaNubianGod
    ThaNubianGod Members Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

On some other ? , though I don't think the law needs no extra ? power and authority to be doing this ? .

Like The_Jackal already said, "it's been going on"... so what's the use of executive orders and other BS and ICE raiding doing national raids and ? ?

You have to understand that he aspires to also win a second term. His political team KNOWS they are going to be in a very harder fight for midterm election and next presidential elections. (if he isn't impeached) They realize that all the people who didn't vote most likely will vote against him, all the people who voted for Bernie or a third party will unify under a single Democrat and Republicans aren't to thrilled with him and the fact that his wall will cost 21B and tax payers will have to pick it up, that he is clearly cozying up to Putin, and more importantly to his core voters that he hasn't completely done away with Obamacare.

So the only thing he can do is delivery on the promise that he can go through with. I think with this presidency people are going to see the president has alot less power then they think he has.

Nah, opposite is true. Certain liberals pockets are more vocal in opposition to the EOs, but the majority of the country support them. That's why the media bounces from issue to issue, they're grasping for something to galvanize the Dems. Repubs are happy as ? since Trump promised to do everything he's done. The Supreme Court alone will bring them back out

They should go back to the Bill Clinton/ Joe Biden playbook, when moderate Dems took over the party in the 90's. Being outraged when illegals who commit crimes are deported, or about ? bathroom bans, or about refugees from terrorist countries getting vetting hasn't played well in the polls. It's like they didn't realize they made a huge mistake not going with Biden in 2015 when they had the chance, and instead are doubling down on being a niche party.
  • 7figz
    Options
    That ? don't benefit me. I'm not supporting racist ass white america. I'm sure if they could get rid of Black people, they'd be all for it too. I'm not even sure what actions they're really doing under the umbrella of "deporting illegals".

These the same MFs who passed the patriot act, for what they claimed was terrorism, and use that ? to violate everybody's rights.

I bet our taxes don't go down, and our schools don't get any better, and our welfare systems continue to get worse, and our communities continue to be overcrowded while they're claiming to do all this ? , and somehow I bet they'll pass (or have passed) some more laws that's going to ? over legal citizens too on behalf of this ? .
  • gns
    gns Members Posts: 21,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    She's been here too ? long to not have gotten some legal papers by then
  • ThaNubianGod
    ThaNubianGod Members Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That ? don't benefit me. I'm not supporting racist ass white america. I'm sure if they could get rid of Black people, they'd be all for it too. I'm not even sure what actions they're really doing under the umbrella of "deporting illegals".

These the same MFs who passed the patriot act, for what they claimed was terrorism, and use that ? to violate everybody's rights.

I bet our taxes don't go down, and our schools don't get any better, and our welfare systems continue to get worse, and our communities continue to be overcrowded while they're claiming to do all this ? , and somehow I bet they'll pass (or have passed) some more laws that's going to ? over legal citizens too on behalf of this ? .

You do realize that they ARE replacing us illegals...right? Illegals ain't going into suburbs and white communities. And meanwhile you have former black communities that now are majority latino and electing latino politicians which leaves us with even less representation. Outside of a few southern states, white liberals don't give a single ? about us. An illegal committing crimes can get deported and it's a national outrage, but an unarmed black teen can be killed and it takes nights of protests for it to even become a story, and we almost always have to have a video of the shooting to go with it.
  • The_Jackal
    Options

Nah, opposite is true. Certain liberals pockets are more vocal in opposition to the EOs, but the majority of the country support them. That's why the media bounces from issue to issue, they're grasping for something to galvanize the Dems. Repubs are happy as ? since Trump promised to do everything he's done. The Supreme Court alone will bring them back out

They should go back to the Bill Clinton/ Joe Biden playbook, when moderate Dems took over the party in the 90's. Being outraged when illegals who commit crimes are deported, or about ? bathroom bans, or about refugees from terrorist countries getting vetting hasn't played well in the polls. It's like they didn't realize they made a huge mistake not going with Biden in 2015 when they had the chance, and instead are doubling down on being a niche party.

Yet all the polls (the only means we can judge people feel on it) overwhelming show people dissatisfied with him using EO's.

Republicans are happy? You sure? Just this week off the top of my head we have McCain speaking out against him for celebrating Putin and his failed mission in Yemen, we have multiple top Republicans already taking a stance against his 21B project, we have multiple Trump supports and bloggers condemning him for not dismantling Obamacare, we have Republicans condemning his talks with other foreign leaders.

Yes they might be content with trying to push their agenda through but they see just like in Obama two terms, the Senate can try to distant themselves from the man and his policies, but the party goes the way the president gies.
  • Lefty_
    Lefty_ Members, Writer Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The real question of the thread is how the ? and why the ? is that horse in the living room?
  • 7figz
    edited February 2017
    Options

You do realize that they ARE replacing us illegals...right? Illegals ain't going into suburbs and white communities. And meanwhile you have former black communities that now are majority latino and electing latino politicians which leaves us with even less representation. Outside of a few southern states, white liberals don't give a single ? about us. An illegal committing crimes can get deported and it's a national outrage, but an unarmed black teen can be killed and it takes nights of protests for it to even become a story, and we almost always have to have a video of the shooting to go with it.

I don't look at it as "illegals are replacing Black people". Gentrification isn't something that I see as directly correlated to illegal immigrants. Legal whites and other races can gentrify a neighborhood just as much.

And how often is there a national outrage when illegal criminals get deported ?

And how would deporting illegals affect the impact an unarmed Black teen being killed ?
  • 7figz
    Options

Oh, and to reiterate, I'm not FOR "illegals", I just don't see how it benefits Black people for the government to have more power to deport them.
  • NoCompetition
    NoCompetition Members Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I don't look at it as "illegals are replacing Black people". Gentrification isn't something that I see as directly correlated to illegal immigrants. Legal whites and other races can gentrify a neighborhood just as much.

And how often is there a national outrage when illegal criminals get deported ?

And how would deporting illegals affect the impact an unarmed Black teen being killed ?

And not only that, I understand why there are some in certain communities that dont want a more diverse and less white country. I get that. Its just that isnt necessarily a bad thing to me. Its all perspective. Also I dont feel threatened like some "illegal" is going to knock me out of position or anything.
  • prime_time_willy
    prime_time_willy Members Posts: 948 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    gns wrote: »
    She's been here too ? long to not have gotten some legal papers by then

I mean ? 8 years though? She could've been stacked up some bread to get that ? , that's just pure laziness.
  • Ghostdenithegawd
    Ghostdenithegawd Members Posts: 16,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There rounding up Africans like cattle also the idea of the people who stole and slaughtered for this land kicking people out is ? absurd especially the only group of people that m have been 0% if a threat to us