This is new: ABC announces first black Bachelorette

Options
Undefeatable
Undefeatable Members Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rachel Lindsay has become the first African American lead to be cast on the romantic reality shows the Bachelorette or the Bachelor.

The announcement was made on Jimmy Kimmel’s late-night show on Monday evening, after days of rumors that the show’s producers were poised to cast an African American for the first time in more than 30 seasons.

While being interviewed on Good Morning America on Tuesday, Lindsay said: “I don’t feel added pressure. I’m honored to have this opportunity and to represent myself as an African American woman.”

ABC boss Channing Dungey, who became the first black woman to head a network TV channel, said that the show would cast an African American lead soon while speaking at the TCAs, saying that diversity had improved on the shows.

The two shows’ lack of diverse contestants has been criticized for years, and a lawsuit was brought against the production company and the show’s creator, Mike Fleiss, in 2012 by Nathaniel Claybrooks and Christopher Johnson, two African American men who had auditioned for the Bachelor.

The class-action suit claimed that the company and Fleiss had “knowingly, intentionally, and as a matter of corporate policy refused to cast people of color in the role of The Bachelor and The Bachelorette”, since the shows started in 2002.

The case was thrown out by a judge in October 2012, after she ruled the show’s casting was protected by the first amendment. In 2011, Fleiss put the lack of diversity down to the fact minority contestants rarely come forward to appear on the show. “We always want to cast for ethnic diversity. It’s just that for whatever reason, they don’t come forward. I wish they would.”

Last year Fusion reported that 59% of the black contestants who have been on the show exited within the first two weeks. After the lawsuit in 2013, the show cast its first non-white lead in the Bachelor with Venezuelan former footballer Juan Pablo Galavis – but the show’s creators were criticized for choosing a light-skinned south American.

In a statement Robert Mills, senior vice-president of alternative series, specials and late night for ABC, said of Lindsay: “She is an accomplished, confident and beautiful woman who knows what she wants in life. We all look forward to joining her on the joyous journey as she looks for that one special man.”

Lindsay, who is a lawyer, has already featured in the Bachelor, and will become the Bachelorette on 22 May when the show’s 13th season begins.

1500.jpg?w=620&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&fit=max&s=cf8c9adc9da4715e8a3ba2950288024f

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2017/feb/14/black-bachelorette-rachel-lindsay-the-bachelor

I wonder if she even ? with brothers.

Comments

• 1CK1S
    1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    She chooses a white dude and he decides not to marry her a couple months later. Bet.

• Kat
    Kat Members Posts: 50,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't watch the show, but congrats to her.

I wonder what the lineup of suitors is going to look like..
  • twizza 77
    twizza 77 Members Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It will be the highest Bachelorette/Bachelor season in the 1st few weeks until she picks a white dude.
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    White viewers will drop off
    Black viewers wont increase
    She will choose a white dude who couldn't be less interested in her

mooney_paul_negrodamus.jpg
  • ineedpussy
    ineedpussy Members Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Options
    so who gonna watch? im trying to see if she pick that white dude. theyll probably only have like one and a half brothas there anyway. one lite skinnt and the other mixed with a white father.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Trash Tv... people should take this a moment in black history .. trash tv is trash tv..

Thanks Bobby and Whitney
  • Qiv_Owan
    Qiv_Owan Members Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    She look like she dont date black dudes

And built like dry-erase marker

She cute tho

Look like a young Megan Good mixed with Keke Palmer

Smash
  • Undefeatable
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Kat wrote: »

bachelorette-cast.png

... more or less.
  • Undefeatable
    Options
    Seriously though, I hope brothers sign up so that she doesn't have any excuse.
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    Is she mainly into white guys? Otherwise I'd suggest making it mostly black men with a token white guy or two thrown in. But it will be the other way around.
  • leftcoastkev
    leftcoastkev Members Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Man ppl really up in arms about this ? ...

Any black person not in control of their own (communications) platform is subjected to be sat out like a ? put on display to advance the owner of the platforms agenda anyway....

Can't expect too much this is America.

But, it will be funny if she picks a mixed guy...
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Man ppl really up in arms about this ? ...

Any black person not in control of their own (communications) platform is subjected to be sat out like a ? put on display to advance the owner of the platforms agenda anyway....

Can't expect too much this is America.

But, it will be funny if she picks a mixed guy...
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Why would that be funny? Mixed people are the best
  • ineedpussy
    ineedpussy Members Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kat wrote: »

bachelorette-cast.png

... more or less.
    ineedpussy wrote: »
    so who gonna watch? im trying to see if she pick that white dude. theyll probably only have like one and a half brothas there anyway. one lite skinnt and the other mixed with a white father.

mooney_paul_negrodamus.jpg

• Undefeatable
    Options
    Cain wrote: »
    She chooses a white dude and he decides not to marry her a couple months later. Bet.

If she choose a white dude..........She's a ?

If she choose a black man.............She's a racist

Fake outrage will run rampant on Twitter and Black Twitter

Nobody, or almost nobody, is gonna say that.
  • MrMinimalist
    MrMinimalist Members Posts: 787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Usually the slim, chocolate chicks go for the white guys so I had an idea of how she'll look before I seen her. It's only 3 men of color so yup, it'll be a white guy.