New York ruined hip hop

Options

Comments

• The Recipe
    The Recipe Members Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Lefty_ wrote: »
    ? if I wanted to do graffiti, dj, or b-boying I couldn't do that ? 20 years ago without lookin corny. I can find that ? a google click away now, the internet opened it up. I can find any music I want, I'm not a slave to the radio, or MTV or BET. I can google conscious rap and find good ? , I can google gangsta rap and find good ? , I can pretty much do what I want as the consumer. The mainstream got ya'll blinded, a lot of good ? out there, you just gotta dig a little. And like I said, the 4 elements are well represented, and easy to access.

? if you wanted to do Grafitti or B Boying 20 years ago you looked corny cuz you was 10 years late. Hip Hop evolved to the cusp of the bling bling era in 97 ? was wearing shinny suits and ? at that time not spinning around on they back in addidas sweat suits.

MTV and BET had quality ? rap shows. I wouldnt say we were slaves to Yo MTV Raps or Rap City thats like saying we are slaves to Chipolte because they have the best ? Burritos. On top of that you had The Source magizine and XXL eventually came along to help you find new quality music.

Not to mention there use to be these places where you could go listen to and look through tons of music called record stores, conscious, gangsta or pretty much anything you like, the internet has made rappers and consumers lazy. Also technology "opened it up" for wack rappers to gain notoriety and have access to recording equipment so that tech freedom your preaching has done massive damage to the quality of music we are getting, apparently you are blinded to those facts cuz you can google free music.

? all that anti mainstream rhetoric these were the #1 rap songs from 20 years ago, google the ones from 2016 and tell me again how much of a great place Hip Hop is in. Mainstream Hip Hop is important and infuences and sets the tone culturally in several different ways such as trickling down and infuencing the other music, inspiring future artist, how the world views black people just to name a few.

ht68eualmtgl.png
  • The Recipe
    edited February 2017
    Options
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Stupid post by a Hip Hop bystander. Just about every NY legend and even those in between have ties and musical collaborations with artists from other regions. From NWA showing up in EPMD's videos shot in Cali, to Wutang having connects with UGK, to duckdown and pac, nas and face, slick rick and outkast, Rakim and Jody Watley, Melle Mel and Shaka Khan, Guru and MC Solaar, G rap and brand new heavies, nore and e-40 etc, etc. These things don't happen via hate homie.

Rapping isn't Hip Hop. Hip Hop is MCing\rapping, Djing, Bombing and Bboying. If, you want to perhaps lament about how maybe Bad Boy and the Shiny suit era watered down, and wounded MCing\rapping badly go for it. And I would agree 100%. But for now you couldn't be more wrong.

If there is a region that killed Hip Hop it would be the south and maybe the midwest. As both regions put minimal focus if any on the additional elements that make up Hip Hop. The east and west coast respectively hold and have held down all 4 elements. I won't even began to broach the subject on NY Hip Hoppers almost if not single handedly spreading Hip Hop across the globe.

• Kwan Dai
    Options
    ? if I wanted to do graffiti, dj, or b-boying I couldn't do that ? 20 years ago without lookin corny. I can find that ? a google click away now, the internet opened it up. I can find any music I want, I'm not a slave to the radio, or MTV or BET. I can google conscious rap and find good ? , I can google gangsta rap and find good ? , I can pretty much do what I want as the consumer. The mainstream got ya'll blinded, a lot of good ? out there, you just gotta dig a little. And like I said, the 4 elements are well represented, and easy to access.
    Then you must not have been at a Hip Hop event.

• Lefty_
    Lefty_ Members, Writer Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Options
    The Recipe wrote: »

? if you wanted to do Grafitti or B Boying 20 years ago you looked corny cuz you was 10 years late. Hip Hop evolved to the cusp of the bling bling era in 97 ? was wearing shinny suits and ? at that time not spinning around on they back in addidas sweat suits.

MTV and BET had quality ? rap shows. I wouldnt say we were slaves to Yo MTV Raps or Rap City thats like saying we are slaves to Chipolte because they have the best ? Burritos. On top of that you had The Source magizine and XXL eventually came along to help you find new quality music.

Not to mention there use to be these places where you could go listen to and look through tons of music called record stores, conscious, gangsta or pretty much anything you like, the internet has made rappers and consumers lazy. Also technology "opened it up" for wack rappers to gain notoriety and have access to recording equipment so that tech freedom your preaching has done massive damage to the quality of music we are getting, apparently you are blinded to those facts cuz you can google free music.

? all that anti mainstream rhetoric these were the #1 rap songs from 20 years ago, google the ones from 2016 and tell me again how much of a great place Hip Hop is in. Mainstream Hip Hop is important and infuences and sets the tone culturally in several different ways such as trickling down and infuencing the other music, inspiring future artist, how the world views black people just to name a few.

I could up the strap and blow holes all through that, but I don't feel like it.....

I will say this....When it comes to hip hop.

Internet >

And I really hope you ? ain't actin like there were more opportunities to immerse yourself in the culture in the 80s and 90s than there are now, while discussing it on a hip hop web site where we basically talk hip hop all day and gain perspectives, get put on to new music, and can essentially get a history lesson, an accurate history lesson, or learn how the younger people in the culture think without leaving your couch. I hope ya'll not saying that.

• Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LMFAO thread doesn't make sense. In the title you admit that Hip Hop is ruined but then as the thread goes on y'all say New York is irrelevant and start bragging that you guys been "running" the same genre that you claim is ruined lol good job there buddy. You just ethered your own region
  • optimistic
    optimistic Members Posts: 659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I could up the strap and blow holes all through that, but I don't feel like it.....

Internet >

And I really hope you ? ain't actin like there were more opportunities to immerse yourself in the culture in the 80s and 90s than there are now, while discussing it on a hip hop web site where we basically talk hip hop all day and gain perspectives, get put on to new music, and can essentially get a history lesson, an accurate history lesson, or learn how the younger people in the culture think without leaving your couch. I hope ya'll not saying that.

I am
  • blackgod813
    blackgod813 Members Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    All that bboyn in dead dancinc popin kus we black an we got the rhythm that will get u ..tonight...anyways hiphop is a apart of aa b glad aa create everything...
  • sapp08_2001
    sapp08_2001 Members Posts: 7,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Umm no blame the big businesses and critics for that
  • Kwan Dai
    Options
    If any one of yall watched the video with Crazy legs on Sway. Crazy Legs from rock steady crew is going on his 5th year of holding a Hip Hop festival in Puerto Rico that features all of the elements in action. Crazy Legs from NY continues to spread Hip Hop to other areas of the globe. Sure sound like hate and Hip Hop killing to me.

This is the part that if your region is just a RAP region you will not get or even care about. Most of yall just living vicariously through trash rappers cause, they mention a city or town you're from.
  • The Recipe
    edited February 2017
    Options

Internet >

As I strapped up and blew holes through yours thats how debates work, sitting at home on the couch googling and or commenting on hip hop isnt what I personally call immersion, id call it spectating and commentary. What im saying is the internet has pros as you stated but you skipped over all the cons and that is what I wanted to point out. Also the space Hip Hop is in isnt as great as you are leading on. The internet is great my ? and has enhanced the access to everything, but access doesnt = better.
  • Kwan Dai
    Options
    Just adding on. Our younger generation is missing out. While we have these trash rappers from all regions trying to catch on to the latest BS rap trend. We got, French, Israeli, Greek, German, Korean, and Japanese mufuccahs running around with sponsorship deals from top name brands like red bull, and sprite for DJing, Bboying and Bombing. We stay shooting ourselves in the foot.
  • qawshun
    qawshun Members Posts: 9,138 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    We have standards everyone doesn't meet...... step ya ? up.
    700 Members Posts: 14,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I said New York ruined hip hop

The South brought it back
  • PiffyHaze
    PiffyHaze Members Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Like Water
    Like Water Members Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    700 wrote: »

I'm a Midwesterner, so I don't have much of a dog in this fight as far as defending a particular region, but it seems the south took advantage of a situation where east coast rap was in disarray. That and technology was making it easier for literally anybody to be heard, for better or worse.

With that being said, NO ONE can say they've contributed to rap/hip-hop the way NY has. They are the originators, no matter how you try to spin it.

Objectively speaking, does anybody even have a southern rapper in their top 5? Scarface is the only person that even comes close to being deserving of a spot, and you're a fool if you think his greats list isn't at least half NY'ers.
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The South brought sub-bass to Hip Hop.

But the best MCs are from NYC and thats indisputable.

If you took a poll from every region amongst people from 15-50 years old and asked who their favorite MCs are the overwhelming majority would be from New York.
  • Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kwan Dai wrote: »
    Stupid post by a Hip Hop bystander. Just about every NY legend and even those in between have ties and musical collaborations with artists from other regions. From NWA showing up in EPMD's videos shot in Cali, to Wutang having connects with UGK, to duckdown and pac, nas and face, slick rick and outkast, Rakim and Jody Watley, Melle Mel and Shaka Khan, Guru and MC Solaar, G rap and brand new heavies, nore and e-40 etc, etc. These things don't happen via hate homie.

Rapping isn't Hip Hop. Hip Hop is MCing\rapping, Djing, Bombing and Bboying. If, you want to perhaps lament about how maybe Bad Boy and the Shiny suit era watered down, and wounded MCing\rapping badly go for it. And I would agree 100%. But for now you couldn't be more wrong.

If there is a region that killed Hip Hop it would be the south and maybe the midwest. As both regions put minimal focus if any on the additional elements that make up Hip Hop. The east and west coast respectively hold and have held down all 4 elements. I won't even began to broach the subject on NY Hip Hoppers almost if not single handedly spreading Hip Hop across the globe.

because back in the 80s that north south east bs didn't exist. if your ? was good it got play period. also there was variety and you could tell were everybody was from and every boy didn't sound the same. it was a living breathing art form.
  • The Recipe
    Options
    Kwan Dai wrote: »

because back in the 80s that north south east bs didn't exist. if your ? was good it got play period. also there was variety and you could tell were everybody was from and every boy didn't sound the same. it was a living breathing art form.

Even in the 90's, im from the midwest though but we listen to Ball and G, Spice 1, Biggie, Bone if it was good we checked for it.
    Options
    Like Water wrote: »

I'm a Midwesterner, so I don't have much of a dog in this fight as far as defending a particular region, but it seems the south took advantage of a situation where east coast rap was in disarray. That and technology was making it easier for literally anybody to be heard, for better or worse.

With that being said, NO ONE can say they've contributed to rap/hip-hop the way NY has. They are the originators, no matter how you try to spin it.

Objectively speaking, does anybody even have a southern rapper in their top 5? Scarface is the only person that even comes close to being deserving of a spot, and you're a fool if you think his greats list isn't at least half NY'ers.

I have nothing but southern rappers in my top ten

A top 5 is all opinion, its YOUR top 5

Ny ran hip hop up until the late 90s

That's 20 years of southern dominance

Ny had it for 20 years

I'd say it's even

Options
    qawshun wrote: »
    We have standards everyone doesn't meet...... step ya ? up.

Who tf are y'all for y'all opinion to even matter
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Ny had it for 20 years

I'd say it's even

You're forgetting from 1973-1980
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »

Ny had it for 20 years

I'd say it's even

You're forgetting from 1973-1980

That was southern style music tho

Party music