Whats Bad For Your Heart(Non Smokers, cause duh)

Options
Stew
Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
edited February 2017 in For The Grown & Sexy
You sit way too much
Prolonged sitting is now firmly associated with heart disease and premature aging of arteries. Basically, sitting is smoking. In a study using heart CT scans and physical activity records of more than 2,000 adults, each hour of sitting per day was associated with a 14% increase in coronary artery calcification. Coronary calcification is a sign of damaged heart arteries, and can increase the risk of a heart attack. Standing desks, apps, and timers are all necessary tools in today's sedentary society.

You don't get quality sleep
Sleep is restorative, and your pillow is the best anti-aging pill. In a study of people sleeping poorly and getting less than six hours a night, compared to those sleeping soundly for seven hours, the risk of coronary heart disease (clogged arteries) was 79% higher! Get the highest-quality shut-eye possible by using mindfulness meditation, smartphone apps, or myriad other drug-free techniques.

You don't work on spinal flexibility
Yoga offers many benefits, but one of the most powerful is spinal flexibility. Unknown to most are studies suggesting that flexibility of the spine correlates to flexibility of important arteries in the body. In other words, spinal flexibility is one sign of a healthy heart.

My favorite practice for the spine is performing the five Tibetans, akin to a yoga sequence, and which you can learn online through many free video demonstrations.

You're not sweating
Heavy metals like mercury and lead are particularly damaging to the heart and arteries, and unfortunately you may be ingesting them without realizing it. A practice of sweating -- like regular exercise or hanging out in an infrared sauna -- can help eliminate them efficiently, according to many research studies.

You don't have enough sex
Unless you lie perfectly still, most sexual encounters raise the heart rate and blood pressure significantly. Fortunately, studies show that the more frequently you have sex, the lower the risk of heart events. Get busy.

You drink too many sugary beverages
In a massive study of more than 300,000 subjects, more sugary drinks are associated with more strokes and heart attacks. This kind of association study doesn't necessarily prove that your soda habit is killing your heart -- it might be the cigarette and donut you have with it -- but ditch the ? drinks and their friends for your health.

You drink diet soda instead of sugary beverages
Unfortunately, the sugar-free "diet" options aren't much better than their sugar-filled counterparts. Diet drinks probably won't help you lose weight, and they could also do damage to your heart: A study shows that women who drink two or more diet sodas a day have a major increase in heart disease and deaths. Water, unsweetened tea, green juice, and black coffee should be on your list.

You skip medical checkups and don't get advanced lab work
You may be young and "invincible" now, but not even a healthy lifestyle can make you totally immune to heart disease. While lifestyle factors like diet, smoking, and exercise play the biggest roles in heart health, there are genetic factors that are an important minority

You ignore stress
Stress has been linked to heart disease for decades, and the constant connectivity of today's technological landscape hasn't made life more relaxing. Twenty-four/seven isn't just an empty promise -- it's a way of life for many young people.

You eat bacon, hot dogs, and pepperoni
The last year or so has been a rough one for processed red meats. The World Health Organization announced definitive data that processed foods like bacon and sausage cause colorectal cancer, but we already knew that these foods were associated with a spike in heart disease and heart attacks. Bypass the bacon before you need a surgical bypass of your heart.

Comments

• Stew
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Guilty of sitting way too much, lack of sleep and skipping medical checkups. 3 outta 10, not too shabby boss

Link, my bad. https://www.thrillist.com/health/nation/bad-habits-heart-health
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    I'm too lazy to check which ones apply to me
  • indyman87
    indyman87 Members Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think that the best thing to do is to keep your body at a level playing field throughout the day as much as possible. Which means trying not to get your body too excited by eating too much sugar or drinking too much alcohol. If you do this your body will not react and become inflamed. This is only my opinion and I'm definitely not a professional but I think that this maybe why some alcoholics and drug addicts suddenly die after going cold turkey. I don't think that going cold turkey is a good idea because your body is use to the inflammation called by the high/excitement of the drugs and alcohol. The best thing to do is to treat it like a fast program and gradually reduce the amount of drugs and alcohol that is consumed.

Spices can be just as bad as sugar because it causes inflammation also. A couple of people died at this spicy food eating contest because they eat too many chillis which caused rapid inflammation.

http://www.livescience.com/16556-spicy-food-fatal-chili-peppers.html
    Bosland says that chili peppers (or as some call them, chile peppers) can indeed cause death — but most people's bodies would falter long before they reached that point. "Theoretically, one could eat enough really hot chiles to ? you," he says. "A research study in 1980 calculated that three pounds of extreme chilies in powder form — of something like the Bhut Jolokia — eaten all at once could ? a 150-pound person."

Chili peppers cause the eater's insides to rev up, which can come with some problems. They activate sympathetic nervous system — which helps control most of the body's internal organs — to expend more energy, so the body burns more calories when the same food is eaten with chili peppers. "Eating chili is associated with increases in metabolic rate and thermogenesis," says John Prescott, a professor at Sussex University and editor of the journal Food Quality and Preference. "Capsaicin, the active ingredient in chili, does cause tissue inflammation so the mucosa of the stomach or intestines might be damaged by a sufficiently large dose."
    Tissue inflammation could explain why the contestants in the Killer Curry contest said they felt like chainsaws were ripping through their insides. Too much of the spicy stuff can also give you a good case of heartburn.

http://www.livescience.com/16556-spicy-food-fatal-chili-peppers.html

When most people cut back on sugar they probably just replace it with spices like red hot sauce.
  • Stew
    Options
    I agree with the cold turkey thing. Sounds all kinds of bad
  • Inglewood_B
    Inglewood_B Members Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Damn I'm strikin out like a mfer except for good sleep and sex. Wintertime my gym game fall the ? off

Ah well I had a good run
  • leftcoastkev
    leftcoastkev Members Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Caffeine. I only take before I workout but it's not exactly good for you.
  • Young_Chitlin
    Young_Chitlin Members Posts: 23,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You might have clogged arteries compadre
  • Young_Chitlin
    Options
    It's a dumb excuse, but I deeply detest hospitals to get a checkup
  • pachá12
    pachá12 Members Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

What's wrong with caffeine in moderation?
  • Black Boy King
    Black Boy King Members Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Stew wrote: »
    You eat bacon, hot dogs, and pepperoni
    The last year or so has been a rough one for processed red meats. The World Health Organization announced definitive data that processed foods like bacon and sausage cause colorectal cancer, but we already knew that these foods were associated with a spike in heart disease and heart attacks. Bypass the bacon before you need a surgical bypass of your heart.

lol @ them going out of their way not to be straight up and just say pork.

? really hate that book
  • SolemnSauce
    SolemnSauce Members Posts: 15,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wife forces me to see the doc, he's a African dude. Told me all my levels are great but u gotta lose some weight..straight face
  • leftcoastkev
    leftcoastkev Members Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    pachá12 wrote: »

It's hard to say what moderation is in the context of the rest of your diet and well being.

it dehydrates you. Speeds up your heart rate.

If you drink a lot of water u can mitigate the dehydration.

A coffee a day is likely ok but some ppl do energy drinks, pre workouts, and coffee. It can add up for your heart and exhaust your adrenal glands overtime.

It's pluses and minuses like anything else.

• LEMZIMUS_RAMSEY
    LEMZIMUS_RAMSEY Members, Writer Posts: 17,670 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Do some kettlebell swings for your heart, spinal flexibility and super ? strikes.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    pachá12 wrote: »

It's hard to say what moderation is in the context of the rest of your diet and well being.

it dehydrates you. Speeds up your heart rate.

If you drink a lot of water u can mitigate the dehydration.

A coffee a day is likely ok but some ppl do energy drinks, pre workouts, and coffee. It can add up for your heart and exhaust your adrenal glands overtime.

It's pluses and minuses like anything else.

Moderation would also most likely mean the 6oz serving of coffee not the 32oz from a coffee place or large home brew. Timing is also important. Coffee shouldn't be used to get you going in the morning, that is what proper working adrenal glands and cortisol are for. Best times for coffee are 10am and 2pm when it's the bodies natural dip in energy time. Though food at those time is obviously a lot better for you as coffee has no fats or protein.
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Well I know how I'm dying
  • Young_Chitlin
    Options

I had that fried chicken taco from taco Bell yesterday.. very good
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options