Options
1CK1S
1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

Comments

• bambu
    bambu Members Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Looks good....

So much has changed since his era, yet so much is the same......

• BelovedAfeni
    BelovedAfeni Members Posts: 8,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

To be released under the title “I Am Not Your ? ,” it’s a project Peck has been working on for at least 6 years, and it’s made with the full cooperation of the Baldwin estate. Peck has described it as “a very creative documentary.” In short, the film toys with the idea that Baldwin actually wrote what was to be an ambitious book – “a masterpiece” as Peck puts it – on Medgar Evers, Malcolm X and Martin Luther King Jr., whose lives all ended in assassinations. Baldwin knew it would be a challenge, and didn’t believe it would sell, but he felt that he needed to write it. Baldwin never did write the book (Peck learned about it via letters Baldwin sent to his agent); but Peck’s “creative documentary” will imagine that he did. As the filmmaker has said: “The starting point of the film is to say – yes, he wrote it. He just didn’t bind it together, but if you go through his work, the film is there.”

All Peck has to build on are 30 pages of Baldwin’s notes for the book, and the rights to all of Baldwin’s writings, of course, since it’s a project being made with Baldwin’s estate’s blessings.

Here’s the New York Film Festival summary of the film: Haitian filmmaker Raoul Peck has taken the 30 completed pages of James Baldwin’s final, unfinished manuscript, ‘Remember This House,’ in which the author went about the painful task of remembering his three fallen friends Medgar Evers, Malcolm X, and Martin Luther King, and crafted an elegantly precise and bracing film essay. Peck’s film, about the unholy agglomeration of myths, institutionalized practices both legal and illegal, and displaced white terror that have long perpetuated the tragic state of race in America, is anchored by the presence of Baldwin himself in images and words, read beautifully by Samuel L. Jackson in hushed, burning tones.

Meanwhile, Cameron Bailey at TIFF calls it “a stunning meditation on what it means to be Black in America” that meshes Baldwin’s “lyrical rhetoric with rich archival footage of the Civil Rights and Black Power movements, and connects these historical struggles for justice and equality to the present-day movements that have taken shape in response to the killings of young African-American men including Trayvon Martin, Tamir Rice, Mike Brown, and Amir Brooks.”

• bbkg79
    bbkg79 Members Posts: 613 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Mods can combine this with other two threads titled the same

Just went to see this on Saturday night at The Alamo Drafthouse in White Plains, NY. GOAT movie theatre btw. This was beautiful and excellent, so much to digest, swirl around, and contemplate. I need to see it again, hard to remember everything, I want to take notes. Definitely a documentary that can create dialogue and help us to better understand what we need to do, what sacrifices must be made, and what those sacrifices are necessary for those of us who don't know this or need to be reminded. Like Baldwin realized, it also made me realize I'm more of witness than an actor. I truly wish to pay my dues, it hurts talking to my mother and seeing her broken spirit and fear of my passion because she wants to protect her, now, only son.

Paraphrasing, " it's going to be ? , it's going to be nasty". "We're too worried about our financial situation and staying safe to act".

Actually found myself getting jealous, can't imagine what it was like to have known all three (Evers, King, and X)

My only problem, and it's not with the movie itself. I think me and 3 other black people were there. Show was sold out and it was mostly white people. That bothers me, and it gives them further validation for their privilege and feeling of supremacy. That's why they're bold enough to tell you about your history because they're always there studying, listening, and possibly plotting or looking for opportunities to appropriate and capitalize. I want and will do a better job of understanding my history. Don't want to be too long-winded, hope this made sense and gives some people the push to go see or purchase online and watch it. And lastly discuss!

Mods can combine this with other two threads titled the same
  • JokerzWyld
    JokerzWyld Members Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Options
    James Baldwin >>>>> ? ass Chauncey >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Don Lemon
  • Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I saw this on SB Sunday. ? was MANDATORY.
  • Plutarch
    Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mister B. wrote: »

I did too. Saw it the Sunday after. I encourage everyone to see it. Did you see it at the Ritz Five?
  • bbkg79
    Options
    JokerzWyld wrote: »

Have you seen the documentary?

• blacktux
    blacktux Members Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Went and checked it out. I didnt think it was worthwhile.

• Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Plutarch wrote: »
    Mister B. wrote: »

I did too. Saw it the Sunday after. I encourage everyone to see it. Did you see it at the Ritz Five?

Nah, I saw it at the Film Forum.
  • JokerzWyld
    Options
    bbkg79 wrote: »

Yes, I saw the director's preview at NMAAHC. Did you?
  • bbkg79
    Options
    blacktux wrote: »

Can you elaborate why?
  • bbkg79
    Options

Yeah my post is above, outside of his sexual preference which I have no interest in. What'd you think?

P.S. My mother just texted me about going on a bus trip to NMAAHC in August.
  • blacktux
    blacktux Members Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    blacktux wrote: »

Can you elaborate why?

Sure.

I didnt learn anything that i didnt know before. When it comes to documentaries if the information doesnt shock you or shift your perspective its not worth watching.

• JokerzWyld
    Options

Yeah my post is above, outside of his sexual preference which I have no interest in. What'd you think?

P.S. My mother just texted me about going on a bus trip to NMAAHC in August.

It was dope. I liked the idea of using Baldwin's words to narrate the film. I like his politics too. He was independent and down at the same time.
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They're snatching this ? out of the theaters after one week.

Bad enough they only gave it like 2 or 3 screenings a day. It can't even get a second week run.
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options