The ? Uncle of Rap Strikes Again

Options
Nah Son
Nah Son Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭✭✭
5 Grand come get your hero
Most in the music industry know Jay Z as one of the best rappers of all time, but one of the pioneers of hip hop, Melle Mel, feels very differently.

The former Furious Five member has a history of going after Jay, and he added another log to the fire when he brought him up on the reality show First Family Of Hip Hop.

"It's garbage, most of it is garbage. These are just guys posing, Jay, all of them," he began. Later clarifying, "Jay Z. He's a white guy. Jay Z's a white a business man. He's a clown." When asked to name one good rapper, Melle Mel simply said, "Me."

Moments later, his co-stars pushed further, asking him about Eminem, another rapper who most consider near the top of the all-time list, Mel replied, "What about him? He's white." Adding, "I could beat Eminem [in a rap battle], easiest thing I'd ever do."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isEdKdhtSVQ

Sad!

Comments

• lethal5
    lethal5 Members Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The man has earned his spot as a legend in hiphop, he's qualified to give HIS opinion on rappers even if people don't agree with him.
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lethal5 wrote: »
    The man has earned his spot as a legend in hiphop, he's qualified to give HIS opinion on rappers even if people don't agree with him.

Cosign

If there was no Melle Mel there would be no Jay Z.

Furthermore, remember a few years ago when Macklemore and Ryan Lewis did that song with Caz, Moe and Mel?

How come Jay Z has never done anything with the pioneers? I can't ever remember him paying homage to guys like Kool Herc or Grandmaster Flash. Maybe he has and I just don't remember.

Some people (most of the IC) say that nobody's interested in 80s rappers. But you could create a market. Thats what advertising is all about, you can make people interested in things that they ordinarily wouldn't care about through billboards, full page ads in magazines, tv commercials, pop up screens, etc.

• StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »

Cosign

Furthermore, remember a few years ago when Macklemore and Ryan Lewis did that song with Caz, Moe and Mel?

How come Jay Z has never done anything with the pioneers? I can't ever remember him paying homage to guys like Kool Herc or Grandmaster Flash. Maybe he has and I just don't remember.

Some people (most of the IC) say that nobody's interested in 80s rappers. But you could create a market. Thats what advertising is all about, you can make people interested in things that they ordinarily wouldn't care about through billboards, full page ads in magazines, tv commercials, pop up screens, etc.

When I saw jay in BK a couple years ago he brought out Kane
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    How come you old niggrums don't support older rappers y'all claim to like
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    AggyAF wrote: »

Cosign

Thats cool but Kane isn't really "old school". I'm talking about going all the way back. There's a whole generation of rappers that came before Kane.
  • lethal5
    lethal5 Members Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Cosign

Thats most likely cause Kane took a young jay on tour with him and let him perform....he was just probably paying back a favor
  • O.G.
    O.G. Members Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • O.G.
    O.G. Members Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sad thing is that if Jay and Em were to respond and take this hatin ass ? out of his misery, they would get ? on for being bullies and not respecting the so-called pioneers.
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    Mel a clown for this. Jay surpassed him and his peers in everything. He just came off as a hating ass ? especially since his only claim to being a legend is he was there in the early days.
  • esco soprano
    esco soprano Members Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LOL they should just cue up Em's "Campaign Speech." That would bring him back down to reality.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LOL they should just cue up Em's "Campaign Speech." That would bring him back down to reality.

That song is overrated. Em has way better joints.
  • Busta Carmichael
    Busta Carmichael Members, Moderators Posts: 13,161 Regulator
    Options
    JAY started rapping in 88-89.

He's not new school. Jay was out here doing songs with the pioneers smh
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    JAY started rapping in 88-89.

He's not new school. Jay was out here doing songs with the pioneers smh

Jay started rapping in 86
  • _God_
    _God_ Members Posts: 6,396 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Jayz use to sell white to Mel
  • RawAce
    RawAce Members Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This thread isn't about NORE ?
  • KnowReasonForPeace
    KnowReasonForPeace Members Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Cosign

Thats cool but Kane isn't really "old school". I'm talking about going all the way back. There's a whole generation of rappers that came before Kane.

Since when is kane not old school?
  • gns
    gns Members Posts: 21,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    _? _ wrote: »
    Jayz use to sell white to Mel

This is snitching bro
    That wasnt public record
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Options
    During the series’ fifth episode, Melle Mel said Jay Z and Eminem’s music was “garbage” following a conversation about why he doesn’t like rappers of today.

“These are just guys posing. Jay, all of them,” Mel said as people in the room pause. “He’s a white guy. Jay Z’s a white guy. Jay Z’s a white businessman. He’s a clown.”

When asked about Eminem, Mel once again brought race into the equation.

“What about him?” he asked. “He’s white. What if I was white? I can beat Eminem.”

These words are especially potent considering Hov will be the first rapper inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame, has an upcoming album and just announced a venture capital fund.

https://youtu.be/isEdKdhtSVQ