• AP21
    AP21 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 17,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »
    KINGEC wrote: »
    O.G. wrote: »
    Someone should start a BET uncut appreciation thread

inb4
    I'm tryin to kick it tonight. So baby tell me what that thang smell like. lol

One of the best Rap hooks of all time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQfjiwv41kc

This video is 10X better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4W8hdegL3g

lol

do you even know where they shot this video? they were already going a concert at that park and it wasnt out of the ordinary to have people from the label with cameras around. They didnt go into a huge concept meeting to pitch ideas for a back dat azz up video fam lol

besides, you no longer have the outlets that were designed to promote videos like your 106 and parks, MTV, etc...

go on youtube, present your video, and get a % of the ads from people watching your ? . You dont need a label to do that.
  • MECCA1000
    MECCA1000 Members Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    How you gonna throw MJ, an established artist with a history of making hits to the pioneers of hip hop ........ people thought rap was just a passing fad ...... you of all people should know this ..... smh ...... so of course Flash and them wasn't getting a big budget video ......
    Look at drake who is a couple albums in getting major coin ..... that chump made a low budget video dancing in a box ......

Thing about you 5 ....... even when your argument has been shot down ...... you keep on yapping ...... ? lol
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So basically I'm the only person on the IC that enjoys a well made, professionally produced video?

I don't believe it. I think you guys are playing dumb.
  • TayGettem
    TayGettem Members Posts: 6,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So basically I'm the only person on the IC that enjoys a well made, professionally produced video?

Nobody's playing dumb but like people have said in so many of your other "old people rock" threads times have changed
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    TayGettem wrote: »

Nobody's playing dumb but like people have said in so many of your other "old people rock" threads times have changed

Well I maintain that Michael Jackson was on to something when he made those videos in the early 80s.

Remember the majors didn't have an oligopoly in the early 80s, there were still independent labels. And the independent labels in the early 80s were sending low budget videos to MTV. Michael Jackson blew away the competition via music videos. His videos were so far ahead of the curve that regular TV stations (not BET or MTV) would play his videos at random times during the day.

Nowadays the ante is so low that I could make a video on my phone today and upload it to youtube and share the link on The Reason tomorrow. Literally ANYBODY can make a video. And 95% of the videos that people make aren't worth watching.

• d1al_t0ne
    d1al_t0ne Members Posts: 270 ✭✭
    Options
    ? really debating majors vs indies in 2017 based on music video budgets?

Lol, then we wonder why people are still signing ? up deals and contracts.
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5 grandpa no offense but you are out of touch. Low budget fight videos are getting more views than high quality videos from staged pranks. The content of the video/song is valued more than the plot of the video.

There was a time when ? paid attention to the plot of the video back when you were still under the retirement age. But now most people are playing videos to hear the music on their phone or at work for free and not even looking at the youtube tab but doing something else like playing video games or chillen with friends.

• MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    Options
    TayGettem wrote: »

Well I maintain that Michael Jackson was on to something when he made those videos in the early 80s.

Remember the majors didn't have an oligopoly in the early 80s, there were still independent labels. And the independent labels in the early 80s were sending low budget videos to MTV. Michael Jackson blew away the competition via music videos. His videos were so far ahead of the curve that regular TV stations (not BET or MTV) would play his videos at random times during the day.

Nowadays the ante is so low that I could make a video on my phone today and upload it to youtube and share the link on The Reason tomorrow. Literally ANYBODY can make a video. And 95% of the videos that people make aren't worth watching.

Michael Jackson could dance giving his music videos an extra sense of value back in the 80's. If he could only sing music videos wouldn't have meant ? . So his live shows did as much as the thriller video in gaining fans. Also the use of the music video by an artist is less about viewing the video and more about playing it for free by teenagers and other people who just want the audio without having to log into itunes or spotify.

Michael Jackson was a once in a lifetime performer hence why videos worked for him. Even guys i put above him musically like Stevie wonder didn't need videos at any point in his career his music spoke for everything. Talented artists and low talented artists now and even back in the day need to capture people with their personality of the stage or their on track/stage presence more than paying hype williams to make a plot for them on a music video.

• Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Major vs indie music videos for rappers and we talking about Michael Jackson
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    Beta wrote: »

You obviously missed the point.

Michael Jackson was on a major label and made big budget videos.

Grandmaster Flash and Afrika Bambaattaa were on independent labels and made lower budget videos.

But nowadays the videos people make look LOWER budget than the videos that Grandmaster Flash and Bambaattaa were making in 1982.

I'm not using hyperbole. I sincerely think that the videos from 1982 can compare with the new videos that people are making nowadays.
  • leftcoastkev
    leftcoastkev Members Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Nah fam. Only speaking for myself here...

I will watch a video and see that it's a dope well produced video...and that's that. I will probably never watch it twice on my own volition (e.g. Search it out to watch on YouTube).

If the song is hot (and it's a song I've only heard the first time when I saw the video), I'll download it and play it repeatedly. But 9 times out of 10 I'll never sit through the entire video again.

Same way I rarely ever watch movies and TV shows twice. Only things I'll seek out to watch several times are documentaries, lectures, something that tells me how to do something, something I can learn from. That doesn't something for ME. I ain't learning from music videos so they don't move me like that no matter how nice they are.

I think its a personality thing. Some people really appreciate and are impressed with that stuff when it comes to entertainment. People like me can see and acknowledge that it's dope and well thought out but once you saw it, it's nothing else for me to get from it unless I like the song. Then I listen to the song and dismiss the video.
  • BenjaminE
    BenjaminE Members Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    BenjaminE wrote: »
    An independent can hire a professional who use a digital camera and not film to make a video that cheaper. Fight club for example by the Migos was made by an independent company.

But thats not what they do. They get one of their homies to shoot the video and 9 times out of 10 it looks low budget.

I took a few video classes and there's a lot that goes into lighting, color, make up, set design, costume design, etc. that makes the difference between a low budget video and a high budget video.

In particular, the videographer needs to know what colors the rapper will be wearing in the video and design the set accordingly. Thats part of the reason that Bone Crusher video looks so good, because they're wearing bright colors.

Did you take the video class around the time Billie Jean came out?

I was 9 years old when the Billie Jean video came out, but I maintain that its better than 99% of the videos that have been posted in the Reason over the past week.

That's beside the point, though... You are comparing fairly new independent mixtape rapper Young M.A. in 2017 to Michael ? Jackson in the 80s...

Bonecrusher had one hit song because he blew his budget on the video and features... in 20--whatever...

Why would Young M.A. spend her budget on a glossy visual for a song on a mixtape when she could make 20 videos for the cost of one of those... in 2017?
  • joshrock
    joshrock Members Posts: 239 ✭✭
    Options

People also think weed packaged like this

weed-5.jpg

is better than weed packaged like this

85g.jpg

Part of the reason I live my life on permanent vacation. Thanks yall.
  • 32DaysOfInfiniti
    32DaysOfInfiniti Members Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Not reading three pages of this, but at the end of the day, the songs arent that great so why would the video be? Its not like these artists have amazing vision or great concepts, its just IDGAF music with IDGAF videos, the ? goes hand and hand.

And there are plenty of artists out here who take time to make good videos with storyline/direction, indy or not.
  • Revolver Ocelot
    Revolver Ocelot Members Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Universal is listed as the label in the damn opening credits of that Ram Squad song.

Fab was on Elektra which was a sister label to Warner Bros.

• MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    Options

Grandmaster Flash and Afrika Bambaattaa were on independent labels and made lower budget videos.

But nowadays the videos people make look LOWER budget than the videos that Grandmaster Flash and Bambaattaa were making in 1982.

I'm not using hyperbole. I sincerely think that the videos from 1982 can compare with the new videos that people are making nowadays.

you're comparing MJ to grandmaster flash and afrika susbata

what if i told you MJ was just more talented than those cats and even if those rappers had big budgets they wouldn't be any more popular or famous. Again MJ is a once in a lifetime talent and the rappers you are talking about were just big rappers at the time of their prime.
  • 5 Grand
    Options

you're comparing MJ to grandmaster flash and afrika susbata

what if i told you MJ was just more talented than those cats and even if those rappers had big budgets they wouldn't be any more popular or famous. Again MJ is a once in a lifetime talent and the rappers you are talking about were just big rappers at the time of their prime.

OK, so MJ was a bad example. How about these two videos? One of them is by Run DMC and the other is by Bad Boys feat K-Love. You tell me which video is better, and which video has stood the test of time.

King Of Rock - Run DMC
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXzWlPL_TKw

Bad Boys feat K-Love - Bad Boys feat K-Love
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3sXZKnToeA

These videos both came out in 1985, over 30 years ago. My point is, whats the point of making a video that won't stand the test of time? Especially if you're waving around $100 bills like you have a lot of money. If you have that much money then make a better video!!!
  • AP21
    Options
    i honestly dont even know what the point of this thread is anymore

i bought childish gambino's "awaken my love" based on the singles he had released, and to my knowledge, still hasnt released a video for either song

nobody is checking for the video to a song to determine if they gon buy the album or not
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    AP21 wrote: »

i bought childish gambino's "awaken my love" based on the singles he had released, and to my knowledge, still hasnt released a video for either song

nobody is checking for the video to a song to determine if they gon buy the album or not

Maybe not, but you can sell a DVD at Best Buy for $39.99 if its any good. I remember back when The Black Album came out they had a DVD called Fade To Black (I think) that was being sold for $39.99 at Best Buy. But it was professionally made. Best Buy probably wouldn't even carry a hood DVD with low budget videos, and if they did carry such a DVD it wouldn't be $39.99, it would be more like $14.99.
  • AP21
    Options

Maybe not, but you can sell a DVD at Best Buy for $39.99 if its any good. I remember back when The Black Album came out they had a DVD called Fade To Black (I think) that was being sold for $39.99 at Best Buy. But it was professionally made. Best Buy probably wouldn't even carry a hood DVD with low budget videos, and if they did carry such a DVD it wouldn't be $39.99, it would be more like $14.99.

brah, did you even watch it?

it was basically a documentary about the process of making what many thought would be his last album. It was him talking to producers, laying out tracks, and giving their pov on what it meant to be on his *final album. It even played excerpts from his NY fade to black tour.

thats not the same AT ALL brah
  • 5 Grand
    Options

it was basically a documentary about the process of making what many thought would be his last album. It was him talking to producers, laying out tracks, and giving their pov on what it meant to be on his *final album. It even played excerpts from his NY fade to black tour.

Yeah I watched it. My point is that something professionally made has a higher retail value than something made with a camcorder.

Anyway, I'm done with this thread. The point I was trying to make is that people always say that independent is better than major because you keep more of the money. But you also don't generate as much revenue because you have a low budget video (amongst other things).

Being on a major has its perks. I don't see anything wrong with a new artist signing to a major and making real, big budget videos to jumpstart his career. There's only so far you can go with camcorder-straight to youtube-videos.

And who knows, maybe a new video channel is around the corner. Maybe a new cable channel will come out that plays strictly music videos. I remember my parents had something called MTV2 or BET Jams or something. I don't remember exactly what it was called but they played music videos 24/7. I don't know exactly what its called because I have basic cable so I don't get it.

Anyway, I'll leave you guys with this and gracefully bow out. Its an Erykah Badu video. Its very simple, one shot but its professionally done. Its 20X better than anything thats been posted on The Reason in the past week (except for those Michael Jackson videos I posted)

Window Seat - Erykah Badu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hVp47f5YZg
  • AP21
    Options
    5grand...fam...it was a documentary lol...not a video

\but that erykah badu vid is different b/c iirc, didnt she direct it? or came up with the concept or something
  • TayGettem
    TayGettem Members Posts: 6,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yeah I watched it. My point is that something professionally made has a higher retail value than something made with a camcorder.

Anyway, I'm done with this thread. The point I was trying to make is that people always say that independent is better than major because you keep more of the money. But you also don't generate as much revenue because you have a low budget video (amongst other things).

Being on a major has its perks. I don't see anything wrong with a new artist signing to a major and making real, big budget videos to jumpstart his career. There's only so far you can go with camcorder-straight to youtube-videos.

And who knows, maybe a new video channel is around the corner. Maybe a new cable channel will come out that plays strictly music videos. I remember my parents had something called MTV2 or BET Jams or something. I don't remember exactly what it was called but they played music videos 24/7. I don't know exactly what its called because I have basic cable so I don't get it.

Anyway, I'll leave you guys with this and gracefully bow out. Its an Erykah Badu video. Its very simple, one shot but its professionally done. Its 20X better than anything thats been posted on The Reason in the past week (except for those Michael Jackson videos I posted)

Window Seat - Erykah Badu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hVp47f5YZg

Ay bow out graciously and just stop 5
  • trendsetta1030
    trendsetta1030 Members Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Universal is listed as the label in the damn opening credits of that Ram Squad song.

Fab was on Elektra which was a sister label to Warner Bros.

ez2bkdh025cv.png
    Los was sign 2 dessert storm…was under Elektra

Tommy was signed 2 universal not ram squad