Uncle Ben Carson: Slaves Were Immigrants Who Came Here and Worked Really Hard ‘for Less’

Options
1CK1S
1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
58bdbf7b1a00003700f41eb5.jpeg?cache=zwlxktawfi

WASHINGTON ― Ben Carson made his debut as secretary of Housing and Urban Development Monday by telling agency employees about the virtues of the “can-do” American society. Carson said this value system was best exemplified by slaves, whom he characterized as immigrants who came to the United States with very little and worked very hard.

“That’s what America is about,” Carson said. “A land of dreams and opportunity. There were other immigrants who came here in the bottom of slave ships, worked even longer, even harder for less. But they too had a dream that one day their sons, daughters, grandsons, granddaughters, great grandsons, great granddaughters might pursue prosperity and happiness in this land.”

One HUD employee who was in the room for Carson’s speech said there was no audible reaction to Carson’s slave ship remark, although she was shocked by it and immediately recognized that it’d be a problem. She added that overall, people at the agency are excited about their new boss.

The Senate approved Carson, a neurosurgeon with no experience in housing policy, to the job last week.

In 2013, Carson said Obamacare was “the worst thing that has happened in this nation since slavery.”

“And it is in a way, it is slavery in a way, because it is making all of us subservient to the government, and it was never about health care,” he added. “It was about control.”

Carson also spent part of his speech to agency employees Monday talking about the human brain.

“[E]very human being, regardless of their ethnicities, or their background, they have a brain, the human brain,” he said, later adding, “You can’t overload [the brain]. Have you ever heard people say, ‘Don’t do that or you’ll overload your brain’? You can’t overload the human brain. ... So we need to concentrate a little less on what we can’t do and a little more on what we can do.”

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/ben-carson-slaves-immigrants_us_58bdbf1fe4b033be1467634f

Comments

• semi-auto-mato
    semi-auto-mato Members Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i use to say that i would never call a black person a ? but everyday i see these ? saying and doing dumb ? and i dont know if there is any other word to describe them.
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • stringer bell
    stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    And the new leader for the '? of the Year' award has spoken...
  • NoCompetition
    NoCompetition Members Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Options
    1CK1S wrote: »

WASHINGTON ― Ben Carson made his debut as secretary of Housing and Urban Development Monday by telling agency employees about the virtues of the “can-do” American society. Carson said this value system was best exemplified by slaves, whom he characterized as immigrants who came to the United States with very little and worked very hard.

“That’s what America is about,” Carson said. “A land of dreams and opportunity. There were other immigrants who came here in the bottom of slave ships, worked even longer, even harder for less. But they too had a dream that one day their sons, daughters, grandsons, granddaughters, great grandsons, great granddaughters might pursue prosperity and happiness in this land.”

One HUD employee who was in the room for Carson’s speech said there was no audible reaction to Carson’s slave ship remark, although she was shocked by it and immediately recognized that it’d be a problem. She added that overall, people at the agency are excited about their new boss.

The Senate approved Carson, a neurosurgeon with no experience in housing policy, to the job last week.

In 2013, Carson said Obamacare was “the worst thing that has happened in this nation since slavery.”

“And it is in a way, it is slavery in a way, because it is making all of us subservient to the government, and it was never about health care,” he added. “It was about control.”

Carson also spent part of his speech to agency employees Monday talking about the human brain.

“[E]very human being, regardless of their ethnicities, or their background, they have a brain, the human brain,” he said, later adding, “You can’t overload [the brain]. Have you ever heard people say, ?Don’t do that or you’ll overload your brain’? You can’t overload the human brain. ... So we need to concentrate a little less on what we can’t do and a little more on what we can do.”

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/ben-carson-slaves-immigrants_us_58bdbf1fe4b033be1467634f

I mean, gotta look at the actual quotes and what was said instead of the sensationalism. And it was in whatever context. And I mean, its...I think its more of a type thing where he's attempting to illustrate a particular situation. As I read it here it doesnt offend me. Just looking at the actual quote. I guess the biggest thing is the use of the word "immigrant"? I'd have to look up the definition but I dont know that it doesnt necessarily apply loosely considering He did actually acknowledge their situation and conditions. This as it stands now doesnt strike me as horrible. Just that quote in itself.
    Im not the knee ? type man I gotta process. Things aint always about first emotional response I generally aint that type. Calculating. Now if enough evidence is apparent in one direction then hey it is what it is. Im just taking thisone quote and analyzing.
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I went in on him on facebook and I'll post what I said, but essentially, he is a low-life and our ancestors did not want to come here especially as kidnapped-victims.
  • semi-auto-mato
    semi-auto-mato Members Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

“[E]very human being, regardless of their ethnicities, or their background, they have a brain, the human brain,” he said, later adding, “You can’t overload [the brain]. Have you ever heard people say, ?Don’t do that or you’ll overload your brain’? You can’t overload the human brain. ... So we need to concentrate a little less on what we can’t do and a little more on what we can do.”

I mean, gotta look at the actual quotes and what was said instead of the sensationalism. And it was in whatever context. And I mean, its...I think its more of a type thing where he's attempting to illustrate a particular situation. As I read it here it doesnt offend me. Just looking at the actual quote. I guess the biggest thing is the use of the word "immigrant"? I'd have to look up the definition but I dont know that it doesnt necessarily apply loosely considering He did actually acknowledge their situation and conditions. This as it stands now doesnt strike me as horrible. Just that quote in itself.
    Im not the knee ? type man I gotta process. Things aint always about first emotional response I generally aint that type. Calculating. Now if enough evidence is apparent in one direction then hey it is what it is. Im just taking thisone quote and analyzing.

i mean its really no explanation for it. ? didnt line up on the coast of africa to sail standby. they were captured and forced onto that boat. they were packed like sardines and tossed over board if they got sick.
  • NoCompetition
    edited March 2017
    Options

? wtf his entire quote was ? in or out of context. Slaves did not come here in search of prosperity and opportunity for themselves nor their kids and grandkids. Why are you tryna jump through hoops to make excuses for this factually incorrect, stupid ass ? ?

Uh, I'll repost the part I think people are talking about here.

Now in this quote, which is all im addressing, no emotion just analyzing, did he not acknowledge the conditions they came in? Why did the ones who chose to, bring kids into the situation, did they not think that there would be hope for them? I mean just being knee ? is a problem and one that can really hurt the knee jerker. Sometimes its about analyzing and really seeing whats going on. Look at the actual quote. Thats part of the issue in this country right now people go off snippets used to manipulate and emotion. Im not defending him but this quote in and of itself is not horrible. The only thing would be the use of the word immigrant but I dont know that it doesnt apply in a loose sense. Im a thinker and dont do the knee ? thing because that gets you into trouble I can see more than the surface emotional level. Thats all im pointing out here look at what he actually said. He didnt say it was a trip to Disney world in fact just the opposite smh. Can you not acknowledge that?

• b'mer...
    b'mer... Members Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He's literally a house nicca
  • Mr.LV
    Mr.LV Members Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They going to act this was a cruise ship or something ? disgusting.
    shippacking.jpg
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    edited March 2017
    Options

? wtf his entire quote was ? in or out of context. Slaves did not come here in search of prosperity and opportunity for themselves nor their kids and grandkids. Why are you tryna jump through hoops to make excuses for this factually incorrect, stupid ass ? ?

Now in this quote, which is all im addressing, no emotion just analyzing, did he not acknowledge the conditions they came in? Why did the ones who chose to, bring kids into the situation, did they not think that there would be hope for them? I mean just being knee ? is a problem and one that can really hurt the knee jerker. Sometimes its about analyzing and really seeing whats going on. Look at the actual quote. Thats part of the issue in this country right now people go off snippets used to manipulate and emotion. Im not defending him but this quote in and of itself is not horrible. The only thing would be the use of the word immigrant but I dont know that it doesnt apply in a loose sense. Im a thinker and dont do the knee ? thing because that gets you into trouble I can see more than the surface emotional level. Thats all im pointing out here look at what he actually said. He didnt say it was a trip to Disney world in fact just the opposite smh. Can you not acknowledge that?

I read and listened to the quote....and responded directly to that part of it. This is not a slip of the tongue where ? ain't seeing the forest for the trees. It's not a knee ? reaction to say Ben Carson is stupid for saying this ? . ? couldn't even vote as of 60 years ago, but Ben Carson is correct in his assessment that ppl stolen and forced to work for free and forced to breed children had dreams of prosperity and opportunity. Cut it out.
  • NoCompetition
    Options

I read and listened to the quote....and responded directly to that part of it. This is not a slip of the tongue where ? ain't seeing the forest for the trees. It's not a knee ? reaction to say Ben Carson is stupid for saying this ? . ? couldn't even vote as of 60 years ago, but Ben Carson is correct in his assessment that ppl stolen and forced to work for free and forced to breed children had dreams of prosperity and opportunity. Cut it out.

In some ways we seem to have a differing of opinion of that quote. I didnt see it I only read it here. But there is a serious issue going on in this country. Its part of the reason politics are where they are and Trump was elected. People not paying attention to what is really being said (by Trump during his campaign for instance) and going off of soundbites and emotion. Hearing what they want to hear and thinking what they want to think instead of whats actually there. This is clearly a real issue.
    You can acknowledge things and analyze and recognize without being full on a fan or supporter. Its called critical thinking and acknowledging reality. Its actually necessary and something grown people really cant do without. Regardless how some try to deny. No matter who it is, especially if they are in a influential position, its way better to actually see what they are saying. Like how Too many didnt pay attention to what Trump was actually saying now they are surprised smh.

• R0mp
    R0mp Members Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The king bootlicker is still Jesse Lee Peterson:
    “I’ve often said that, ‘Thank ? for slavery,’ because, you know, had not, then the blacks over here would have been stuck in Africa… Everybody and their Mama are trying to get out of Africa and come to America and so ? has a way of looking out for folks and He made it possible by way of slavery to get black folks into this country.

…I thank ? that He saw fit for me to get here. Never mind that, you know, (my ancestors) were sold… by Arabs and blacks to white folks… The ride over was pretty tough but you know, it’s like riding on a crowded airplane when you’re not in First Class. It’s a tough ride. But you’re happy when you get to your desitination… I thank ? that he got me here and to show my appreciation to the blacks who suffered as the result of coming here, and Arabs and blacks who sold us to the white man, the white man for going there and getting us and bringing us here, I want to say, ‘Thanks.’”
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

In some ways we seem to have a differing of opinion of that quote. I didnt see it I only read it here. But there is a serious issue going on in this country. Its part of the reason politics are where they are and Trump was elected. People not paying attention to what is really being said (by Trump during his campaign for instance) and going off of soundbites and emotion. Hearing what they want to hear and thinking what they want to think instead of whats actually there. This is clearly a real issue.
    You can acknowledge things and analyze and recognize without being full on a fan or supporter. Its called critical thinking and acknowledging reality. Its actually necessary and something grown people really cant do without. Regardless how some try to deny. No matter who it is, especially if they are in a influential position, its way better to actually see what they are saying. Like how Too many didnt pay attention to what Trump was actually saying now they are surprised smh.

This is not critical thinking, they did not come here voluntarily and if you do the research on the Garvey movement why did black people supported Garvey over every movement because a lot of our ancestors were done with America period. You have some that wanted a life here, but man, you cannot compare our history to immigrants, you just cannot. It makes no sense, our ancestors were ripped from their love ones, their way of life, their way of being who they are versus to a status lower than human.
  • huey
    huey Members Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    he shouldnt have said immigrant and just called them what they were