The Official 2017 NFL Offseason/Draft Thread

Options

Comments

• Young Gunner
    Young Gunner Members Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Shizlansky wrote: »
    We just picked up Barry Church. Cowboys fans is he worth his salt? Let me know if I should start being disappointed already

This could mean Y'all passing up on Adams in the draft of he's at y'all spot.

I was never convinced we would take him. Only means Cyprien ain't coming back. DT Jon Allen is who I'm hoping we take
  • iron man1
    iron man1 Members Posts: 29,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Still talk of Bennett to the Giants, Giants stacking up

As much as I like Bennett, I hope we go draft. It's some nice tight ends coming out

If we get lucky in the draft if not we shouldn't ignore it unless he's asking for crazy cash yea let's get younger lol
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    iron man1 wrote: »

As much as I like Bennett, I hope we go draft. It's some nice tight ends coming out

If we get lucky in the draft if not we shouldn't ignore it unless he's asking for crazy cash yea let's get younger lol

9 million
  • detcatinva
    detcatinva Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Options
    hold on one second giants fans your qb is still eli manning
  • vageneral08
    vageneral08 Members Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    marc123 wrote: »

No lol they're just getting bennett replacement
  • JusDre313
    JusDre313 Members Posts: 4,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • OhioState1987
    OhioState1987 Members Posts: 598 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Tony Romo about to win a super bowl with the browns it's about to be the Kardic Kids 2.0
  • natural born sinners
    natural born sinners Members Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'd rather go draft for TE. Just gave 6 mil of the little cap $ we got this year to Marshall. I would allocate resources to finding a FA LT n keenan robinson. Bennett said he trying get paid
  • natural born sinners
    natural born sinners Members Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Titans fan smoking that good ass ?
    dwsd64ab676n.jpg

? out here celebrating division titles w tattoos
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Titans fan smoking that good ass ?
    dwsd64ab676n.jpg

? out here celebrating division titles w tattoos

Not even a superbowl...a division title...on his forearm...his mother should of swallowed him
  • infamous114
    infamous114 Members, Moderators Posts: 52,202 Regulator
    edited March 2017
    Options
    TheBoyRo wrote: »

I like it. Went down from his reported initial price. I like that we keeping our WR core of Landry, Stills, Parker. Landry's deal is looming this season.
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I was legit mad when we traded Stills
  • infamous114
    infamous114 Members, Moderators Posts: 52,202 Regulator
    Options
    Shizlansky wrote: »
    I was legit mad when we traded Stills

Definitely won that trade. Traded Ellerbe who bombed here
  • themadlionsfan
    themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bad blood may keep Washington from dealing with 49ers

Posted by Mike Florio on March 8, 2017, 7:24 PM EST

Getty Images
    Washington’s best path out of the Kirk Cousins franchise tag corn maze could be to work out a fair trade to the 49ers. Cousins, if he wants to, could force the issue by making it clear that he won’t sign the franchise tender until Labor Day.

But that still may not get it done. Thanks to spite.

Kevin Jones of KNBR reports that Washington owner Daniel Snyder “is holding onto bad blood” between himself and 49ers coach Kyle Shanahan. Snyder doesn’t want to help Shanahan succeed, which could keep the owner from ever signing off on any trade.

In the weeks preceding the firing of Mike and Kyle Shanahan at the end of the 2013 season, plenty of leaks unflattering to the front office emerged, with Mike believed to be the ultimate source. Last year, Mike Shanahan went on the record with his concerns regarding Snyder.

None of this changes the fact that getting a fair trade for Cousins may be much better than keeping him for 2017 and then either letting him walk away in 2018 or paying him $28.78 million (under the transition tag) or $34.47 million (under the franchise tag) for one more year. If he walks away next year, he goes straight to San Francisco and Washington simply gets credit toward its compensatory draft pick formula.

But billionaires, as we are learning almost every day, don’t always do the reasonable, sensible, or logical thing. And they tend to hold grudges even more strongly than people with far less money.
  • themadlionsfan
    Options
    McCloughan’s departure from D.C. “inevitable”

Posted by Mike Florio on March 8, 2017, 7:55 PM EST

Getty Images
    Last week, Washington president Bruce Allen said G.M. Scot McCloughan will be back. On Tuesday, PFT pointed out that he may not be.

Now, the Washington Post reports the McCloughan won’t return.

Liz Clarke and Mike Jones of the Post write that “it has become clear that [McCloughan’s] departure from the team is inevitable,” citing multiple unnamed sources with knowledge of the situation.

McCloughan, per the report, has become “increasingly frustrated by ongoing frictions” with Allen regarding personnel moves. McCloughan also was miffed by the failure of the organization to defend him after team employee Chris Cooley suggested that McCloughan, who has a history of alcohol issues, may be drinking again.

Clarke and Jones report that players and team employees “have received indications” that McCloughan won’t be back. For now, the team apparently is trying to decide how to part ways with him.

McCloughan is under contract for two more years. Owner Daniel Snyder could try to terminate McCloughan for cause, blocking any obligation for ongoing payments. Looming over the entire situation are federal and state labor laws that protect employees against disability discrimination arising from actual or perceived alcoholism.

It’s not known what Washington will do to resolve this situation. As with plenty of other decisions the team has made in recent days and weeks, however, it could be safe to assume that the front office will eventually find a way to bungle it.
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Options
    We'll never go 0-16
  • themadlionsfan
    Options
    Could Jets end up settling for a return of Geno Smith at quarterback?

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 8, 2017, 5:50 PM EST

Getty Images
    Last year, the Jets spent months in quarterback limbo before finally agreeing to terms to bring back Ryan Fitzpatrick as their starter. This year, Fitzpatrick is a free agent, the Jets are again in quarterback limbo, and it’s possible that another one of their old quarterbacks will be the one who ends up coming home: Geno Smith.

Smith becomes a free agent tomorrow and is coming off a torn ACL, but the New York Post raises the possibility that the Jets may end up deciding that Smith is their best option, going into the season with Smith as their starter, Bryce Petty as their backup and Christian Hackenberg as No. 3.

That might not sound exciting to Jets fans, but the quarterback market will dry up in a hurry. Two came off the board today when Brian Hoyer agreed to terms with the 49ers and Tyrod Taylor agreed to terms with the Bills, and the other dominos may fall in a hurry. If the Jets aren’t going to make a splash with Tony Romo, there aren’t a lot of better options than Smith remaining.

Smith would come cheap, and the Jets would know what they’d be getting. Four years after selecting Smith in the second round of the NFL draft, the Jets may sign him to a second contract.

Share this:
  • themadlionsfan
    Options
    Miami Dolphins among favorites to sign quarterback Jay Cutler

Cover32
    Robert Molnar
    Cover32March 8, 201753 Comments
    Oct 31, 2016; Chicago, IL, USA; Chicago Bears quarterback Jay Cutler (6) drops back to pass against the Minnesota Vikings during the first half at Soldier Field.
    Oct 31, 2016; Chicago, IL, USA; Chicago Bears quarterback Jay Cutler (6) drops back to pass against the Minnesota Vikings during the first half at Soldier Field.
    More
    Before we continue any further, I must take a few minutes to fully comprehend what I just typed as the title for this article… Okay, I’m back. So, earlier this offseason, I wrote an article that the Miami Dolphins should look to add another talented quarterback this offseason just in case Ryan Tannehill’s knee injury was worse than first feared.

Considering knee problems are hard to come back from, I was still in favor of Miami adding someone that can be developed behind both Tannehill and Moore for the next few seasons. Never, in a million years would I think the Miami Dolphins would sign someone that could have an argument to be starter in his first season with the team. A bad argument, but an argument nonetheless.

AROUND COVER32

2017 Mock Draft: With the NFL Combine wrapping up last weekend, how might the draft play out

2017 NFL Draft: cover32 exclusive interview with Conneticut safety prospect Obi Melifonwu

2017 Free Agency: Player acquisitions and league tampering in today’s NFL

Dolphins News: Miami’s Friday Ramblings

Follow us on Twitter here

That player looks to be former Bears quarterback Jay Cutler. Seen as one of the favorites to sign Cutler by the folks in Las Vegas, the Miami Dolphins for some reason could be considering Jay Cutler as an option at quarterback. Let me also state that while there has been no confirmed reports of meetings or talks between the two parties, Vegas is not normally off in how they value things.

Taking this with a grain of salt though, it really makes no sense and all the sense in the world for the Miami Dolphins to pursue Jay Cutler. It doesn’t make sense if the Dolphins are truly happy with their quarterback situation of Ryan Tannehill and Matt Moore. If the team is fully confident that Tannehill’s knee is healed, then their is no reason for the team to bring in Jay Cutler and his attitude.

However, if the team is not sold on either Moore or Tannehill, this signing could make all the sense in the world. If Miami knows something about Tannehill’s knee and isn’t sharing, Jay Cutler would be a good insurance policy and a move that would allow the team to trade Matt Moore while his value remains moderately high following last season.

Serving as Cutler’s offensive coordinator in Chicago, head coach Adam Gase looked to be the one man that could coach Cutler to his potential. In fact, it was his work with Cutler than many believe led Miami to hiring him as their head coach. If Gase believes he could once again get the most out of the former Bear, then Miami will be a favorite landing spot for the quarterback.
  • themadlionsfan
    Options
    Report: Giants interested in Eddie Lacy and Latavius Murray
    If the New York Giants are going to spend at running back, they're reportedly going to grab Eddie Lacy or Latavius Murray.
    by Dan Schneier 14h ago • 3 min read UPDATE 14h ago

Eddie Lacy and Latavius Murray are the targets if the New York Giants decide to go the route of spending at running back in free agency.
    Art Stapleton of The Record revealed late Tuesday night that the Giants may be interested in bringing in one of the two veteran free agent running backs.
    Follow
    Art Stapleton ✔ @art_stapleton
    Not sure if anything materializes in this market, but heard today the two RBs that would interest #Giants most: Eddie Lacy + Latavius Murray
    6:26 PM - 7 Mar 2017
    67 67 Retweets 120 120 likes
    The Giants' interest makes sense. After releasing Rashad Jennings earlier this offseason, the only two running backs on the roster who have played significant snaps are Paul Perkins and Shane Vereen. Perkins is only entering his second season in the NFL and Vereen missed most of the 2016 season with an injury.
    Instead of chasing after Adrian Peterson and his 4,000-plus career carries, the Giants are intrigued by two younger backs who have produced well when healthy. Lacy is 26 and Murray is 27-years-old. Both players are fresh off their rookie contracts, so it makes a lot of sense that the Giants would be interested. Last offseason, the Giants shifted their free agent strategy to target players coming off of their rookie contracts and it was a very successful move.
    Buying low on Lacy could be one of the Giants' top-five priorities this offseason. A recent report even suggested Lacy could be targeting a one-year "prove it" deal in the $2 million range. Lacy has experience in an almost identical offensive scheme to the one the Giants are using during his four seasons with the Green Bay Packers. He is excellent in pass protection due to his strength and he has soft hands as a pass-catcher out of the backfield. If Lacy can get his conditioning down, he will once again emerge as one of the NFL's most dynamic backs.
    As recently as 2014, Lacy was arguably the most unstoppable running back in the NFL. He led the NFL in yards after contact and he was explosive in the open field. In 2013, Lacy won Rookie of the Year. Lacy had a strong start to the 2016 season before an ankle injury ruined his season. Signing Lacy would be a similar buy low move to the one the Giants made when Martellus Bennett was a free agent after his rookie contract expired on the Cowboys. Now healthy, Lacy makes for an excellent investment at a cheap price tag. He can be the Giants' foundation back.
    The Giants are dedicated to fixing their offense this offseason and free agency is almost here, don't miss any updates , take a second to sign up for our FREE Giants newsletter!
    If they choose to go the Murray route, they're going to grab an intriguing prospect whose best years could still be ahead of him. Murray is a size/speed freak. We're talking about a prospect who ran a 4.38 40-yard dash at 223 pounds. He hasn't fully realized his potential yet in the NFL, and in the Raiders scheme, but Murray could be a much better player with Ben McAdoo. He has the size/speed combination reminiscent of Brandon Jacobs. Will he be the Giants' thunder to Paul Perkins' lightning? That's exactly what the Giants would be hoping for if they signed Murray.

SPONSORED BY CALIFORNIA ALMONDS
    WATCH: Crunch Performance
    Having said all that, the Giants still have just $14 million in cap space. That leaves them enough room for one or two mid-sized free-agent splashes. Signing Lacy would not cost the Giants much if he is, in fact, willing to sign a one-year "prove it" deal, but the same cannot be said about Murray. The Giants have to choose carefully where they want to invest their minimal cap space this offseason.
    The 2017 rookie running back class is supposed to be the deepest and most talented group to enter the draft in recent memory. If the Giants bypass both Lacy and Murray in free agency, they can draft a running back in the middle rounds and have him on contract for around $600,000 annually over the next four seasons. This strategy worked out very well for the Giants in 2016 when they drafted Paul Perkins in the fifth round.
  • TheBoyRo
    TheBoyRo Members Posts: 13,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dude can u delete some of the spam and the unnecessary ? when u post please?