The Official 2016-2017 NBA Thread (NBA Champs Warriors)

Options

Comments

• Crude_
    Crude_ Members Posts: 19,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Options
    D. Morgan wrote: »
    Crude_ wrote: »
    detcatinva wrote: »
    i want lavar ball dad to shut up. he gonna make every player go hard against his son when he enter the league

? sad. Instead of letting his sons live their lives he all in the spotlight saying stupid ? . I hope they dont crash and burn. But that ? is an anchor.

Disagree 100% especially with your last sentence.

Why?

How is he not letting his sons live their lives?

I'm not saying I agree with everything he says but when listening to what he says and not just seeing a small quote or hearing a short snippet I get exactly where he is coming from.

Steve Alford UCLA coach getting a lot of praise right now last season that same team was 15-17 last season insert Ball to the basically the same team they 29-4 why shouldn't he say they using UCLA the same way they using his son? UCLA selling jerseys with his son number, selling out gyms partially because of how good his son is. So yes I get why he saying my son is one and done. It only benefits UCLA for his son to stay and not say some of the stuff the father is saying.

Why shouldn't he say he trying to get the most money for his all of his son's talents? The ? is a business so treat it as such.

That man know the kids he raised and what they can and can't handle. His son at UCLA right now living up to everything he's said about him. Now if he was cracking under the pressure because of what his father was saying I would agree with saying either the father is an anchor or the son not as good as he thinks he is. But right now that ain't the case.

The father started his own AAU team for his sons and supposedly never took any of the shoe companies money to sponsor those teams cause it would really only benefit the shoe companies at that time. So now his son about to be a 1st rd NBA pick possibly #1 overall he telling them all ? you pay me!

Why is he wrong for that?

Nothing wrong with tryna get money for your brand. Get as much as you can especially knowing how ? the NCAA is.

My thing is he doesnt have to be out here saying lonzo better than steph, or hed beat jordan 1 on 1. Just silly ? IMO. Play the background and get things set up for your boys.

Dude is a flat out hustler I like that he's establishing a brand for his son's but I agree with you he should play the background and ? .

These established stars in the league watch ESPN and look on YouTube and the internet just like we do and they'll like be gunning for these young boys when they come into the league, so I hope their pops isn't out here writing checks his son's can't back up with their play.

I've seen plenty of high school, college, and playground stars go to the league and were below average players or journeymen at best.

Hell I thought Ron Mercer had Scottie Pippen like "potential" coming out of college he had a good season or two seems like I remember one being with the Bulls but dude was a journeyman for the most part moral of the story is be careful with counting your eggs before they hatch just based on "potential" and I thought Mercer was a better player coming out of college than Lonzo is now. Just my opinion though.

What's the problem with the bold? Either they sink or swim like everybody else.

Like I said before the father actually wants teams and players gunning for his sons cause as he said it will show if his sons a truly special players or just good ones.

Sometimes that can stunt players development when they're thrown into the fire immediately like that and some guys take longer to find their way than others.

I look at a guy like Chauncey Billups before he got with some good coaching and a decent franchise he was on his way to being out of the league.

Another guy who was brought along slow was Paul George I remember when it was Grangers team and the slow and steady development of PG-13 made him expendable.
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i want lavar ball dad to shut up. he gonna make every player go hard against his son when he enter the league

? sad. Instead of letting his sons live their lives he all in the spotlight saying stupid ? . I hope they dont crash and burn. But that ? is an anchor.

Why?

I'm not saying I agree with everything he says but when listening to what he says and not just seeing a small quote or hearing a short snippet I get exactly where he is coming from.

Steve Alford UCLA coach getting a lot of praise right now last season that same team was 15-17 last season insert Ball to the basically the same team they 29-4 why shouldn't he say they using UCLA the same way they using his son? UCLA selling jerseys with his son number, selling out gyms partially because of how good his son is. So yes I get why he saying my son is one and done. It only benefits UCLA for his son to stay and not say some of the stuff the father is saying.

Why shouldn't he say he trying to get the most money for his all of his son's talents? The ? is a business so treat it as such.

That man know the kids he raised and what they can and can't handle. His son at UCLA right now living up to everything he's said about him. Now if he was cracking under the pressure because of what his father was saying I would agree with saying either the father is an anchor or the son not as good as he thinks he is. But right now that ain't the case.

The father started his own AAU team for his sons and supposedly never took any of the shoe companies money to sponsor those teams cause it would really only benefit the shoe companies at that time. So now his son about to be a 1st rd NBA pick possibly #1 overall he telling them all ? you pay me!

Nothing wrong with tryna get money for your brand. Get as much as you can especially knowing how ? the NCAA is.

My thing is he doesnt have to be out here saying lonzo better than steph, or hed beat jordan 1 on 1. Just silly ? IMO. Play the background and get things set up for your boys.

Dude is a flat out hustler I like that he's establishing a brand for his son's but I agree with you he should play the background and ? .

These established stars in the league watch ESPN and look on YouTube and the internet just like we do and they'll like be gunning for these young boys when they come into the league, so I hope their pops isn't out here writing checks his son's can't back up with their play.

I've seen plenty of high school, college, and playground stars go to the league and were below average players or journeymen at best.

Hell I thought Ron Mercer had Scottie Pippen like "potential" coming out of college he had a good season or two seems like I remember one being with the Bulls but dude was a journeyman for the most part moral of the story is be careful with counting your eggs before they hatch just based on "potential" and I thought Mercer was a better player coming out of college than Lonzo is now. Just my opinion though.

Like I said before the father actually wants teams and players gunning for his sons cause as he said it will show if his sons a truly special players or just good ones.

Sometimes that can stunt players development when they're thrown into the fire immediately like that and some guys take longer to find their way than others.

I look at a guy like Chauncey Billups before he got with some good coaching and a decent franchise he was on his way to being out of the league.

Another guy who was brought along slow was Paul George I remember when it was Grangers team and the slow and steady development of PG-13 made him expendable.

Everything you just said is completely different than getting your competition's best because they gunning for you.

Ball can play 5 minutes a game and get folks coming at him for those 5 minutes. Thats not being thrown to the wolves IMO.
  • Crude_
    Crude_ Members Posts: 19,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Why?

Everything you just said is completely different than getting your competition's best because they gunning for you.

Ball can play 5 minutes a game and get folks coming at him for those 5 minutes. Thats not being thrown to the wolves IMO.

I understand what you're saying but Ball is probably going to end up on some garbage squad like Brooklyn, Phila, Sacramento, or even the Lakers of recent years where he gets a bunch of minutes.

He's not going to have the benefit of playing on a semi competitive team with a decent roster.
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Options
  • D. Morgan
    Options

Why?

I understand what you're saying but Ball is probably going to end up on some garbage squad like Brooklyn, Phila, Sacramento, or even the Lakers of recent years where he gets a bunch of minutes.

He's not going to have the benefit of playing on a semi competitive team with a decent roster.

True but he could also get a coach to take him out the game when he ? up or he out there getting cooked cause people gunning for him.

Something like Byron Scott did with D'Angelo Russell for whatever reason he saw fit.

I agree with you everybody can't handle being thrown to the wolves if they not somewhat succeeding. If you watch any sport then you've seen folks confidence get crushed under that type of weight.

I'm just of the opinion ain't nothing wrong with having folks gunning for you. If you good enough that steel gonna sharpen steel.
  • bless the child
    bless the child Members Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Remember when ? was saying Steph was the best player in the league? Lol...I remember ? had a poll and all lol...a lot of you dumb ? voted that he was. I told ? he works in that system because of all the talent around him, and the ? was so sensitive that if you take one piece out, he ain't gonna be the same....well lol

Considering the shots Steph takes and makes this makes 0 sense at all

Another casual point of view

What you just said makes 0 sense at all.

Gotta agree with Ghost on this one. There's no "system" that would allow Steph to make those shots.

Last year he avg 30pts on 50% from the floor and 45% from 3 while attempting 11 3s a game. There's no system that got him to be that efficient. There's no system that could make anyone that good.
    For one, it's never been done before just based on sheer volume.

The rate at which he took 3s off the dribble, which is probably the most inefficient shot you can take, and yet he still shot 45% for a season is crazy. No one has ever shot that well taking those types of shots. It would be damn near impossible to replicate that season again.

What you're doing is taking a small sample size and running with it. This is the first time he's shot the 3 below 42% (39% is still pretty good).
    Kerr wasn't always this ? coach so it can't possibly be a "system". The ? is still avg 25 per on 46%. That's a bad season now?

Besides, systems aren't for great players. They're for avg players to thrive. Someone like Roy Hibbert is a system player not Steph, not Kawhi, not Kevin Love or any other player that got thrown in with that dumb ? .

How is there no system that would allow him to make those shots? He plays in that system. You ? are trying to argue a point I wasn't even trying to make. Nobody is arguing that he's not a great three point shooter, and nobody is arguing that hes not capable of making threes at a high rate. Im saying the ease in which he is able to get those threes is because of the system he plays in. In another system, with less talent around him, I guarantee you if he tried to take the same volume of shots he would not shoot that high of a percentage, simply because alot of those open opportunities wouldn't be available to him.

He's in a system that allows him the freedom to jack up threes freely, which for the most part come uncontested. Why? Because he has the second best three point shooter playing with him. He has role players that are/were capable of hitting threes at a high rate, and he doesn't have to be the primary playmaker. That afforded him a lot more freedom than he would playing with lesser talent.

You had cats claiming he was be best player in the league because of those same numbers you talking, and I was saying their inflated because of the amount of opportunities he was able to get open threes, and the volume of possessions they got as a team. They averaged 103 possesions per game last season. It's no surprise that with less talent around him all of sudden his numbers dropped. Its because with less scoring threats on the floor, defenses can load their defenses up on him, and a lot more of his shots are contested.

Last season you had ? in here claiming that on a worse team he would dominate even more, and that was just laughable. All that magic was by being able to shoot the three. Put him on a worse team, hes getting double teamed with out consequence, and his ability to even shoot those threes goes down.

The ? made some crazy ass threes last year, no doubt about it. But let you ? tell it he was knocking down five 35 foot, off the dribble, fadeway, threes per game last year lol.
  • bless the child
    edited March 2017
    Options
    aneed123 wrote: »
    Steph not a system player but having klay on the court is a big help. It's like having Reggie Miller in one wing and ray Allen on the other and then 2 bigs setting moving screens all night. U can't defend it . Put Steph on the nets without that system and klay and it's gonna be different

Exactly, ? missing the point. Great shooters are gonna make shots, especially if they're open. You can't tell me if he played in a slow grind, half court offense without other shooters, he would dominate.

• AP21
    AP21 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 17,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    if byron scott is apart of your plans for the future, you setting your franchise back by 5 years
  • Tommy bilfiger
    Tommy bilfiger Members Posts: 22,675 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    BlackAX410 wrote: »
    Beta wrote: »
    The Los Angeles Lakers have effectively shut down healthy veterans Luol Deng and Timofey Mozgov for the rest of the season to give the majority of playing time over the final 15 games to their younger players, sources told ESPN. Deng and Mozgov were the Lakers’ big free-agent acquisitions last summer, signing contracts worth a combined $136 million over four seasons.

:#

Bright future Lakers LOST lls

Lakers still the most popular team in L.A. tho they always can hang their hat on that

that seems to matter a lot to non los angeles residents.Dial up just got benched for monta clarkson
  • yroholla
    yroholla Members Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Remember when ? was saying Steph was the best player in the league? Lol...I remember ? had a poll and all lol...a lot of you dumb ? voted that he was. I told ? he works in that system because of all the talent around him, and the ? was so sensitive that if you take one piece out, he ain't gonna be the same....well lol

Gotta agree with Ghost on this one. There's no "system" that would allow Steph to make those shots.

Last year he avg 30pts on 50% from the floor and 45% from 3 while attempting 11 3s a game. There's no system that got him to be that efficient. There's no system that could make anyone that good.

The rate at which he took 3s off the dribble, which is probably the most inefficient shot you can take, and yet he still shot 45% for a season is crazy. No one has ever shot that well taking those types of shots. It would be damn near impossible to replicate that season again.

What you're doing is taking a small sample size and running with it. This is the first time he's shot the 3 below 42% (39% is still pretty good).
    Kerr wasn't always this ? coach so it can't possibly be a "system". The ? is still avg 25 per on 46%. That's a bad season now?

Besides, systems aren't for great players. They're for avg players to thrive. Someone like Roy Hibbert is a system player not Steph, not Kawhi, not Kevin Love or any other player that got thrown in with that dumb ? .

How is there no system that would allow him to make those shots? He plays in that system. You ? are trying to argue a point I wasn't even trying to make. Nobody is arguing that he's not a great three point shooter, and nobody is arguing that hes not capable of making threes at a high rate. Im saying the ease in which he is able to get those threes is because of the system he plays in. In another system, with less talent around him, I guarantee you if he tried to take the same volume of shots he would not shoot that high of a percentage, simply because alot of those open opportunities wouldn't be available to him.

He's in a system that allows him the freedom to jack up threes freely, which for the most part come uncontested. Why? Because he has the second best three point shooter playing with him. He has role players that are/were capable of hitting threes at a high rate, and he doesn't have to be the primary playmaker. That afforded him a lot more freedom than he would playing with lesser talent.

You had cats claiming he was be best player in the league because of those same numbers you talking, and I was saying their inflated because of the amount of opportunities he was able to get open threes, and the volume of possessions they got as a team. They averaged 103 possesions per game last season. It's no surprise that with less talent around him all of sudden his numbers dropped. Its because with less scoring threats on the floor, defenses can load their defenses up on him, and a lot more of his shots are contested.

Last season you had ? in here claiming that on a worse team he would dominate even more, and that was just laughable. All that magic was by being able to shoot the three. Put him on a worse team, hes getting double teamed with out consequence, and his ability to even shoot those threes goes down.

The ? made some crazy ass threes last year, no doubt about it. But let you ? tell it he was knocking down five 35 foot, off the dribble, fadeway, threes per game last year lol.

Curry is the teams best shooter. I'd argue that klay benefits more than curry in the system when u consider he's not a playmaker at all and he gets set up to score while curry makes plays and scores
  • bless the child
    Options
    yroholla wrote: »

Curry is the teams best shooter. I'd argue that klay benefits more than curry in the system when u consider he's not a playmaker at all and he gets set up to score while curry makes plays and scores

I wouldn't argue against that. But we talking about Steph, who ? were claiming as the best player in the league just last year.
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    Breezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

No I didn't. You just can't separate acknowledging greatness from "? riding" as you would call it. I just call out bs when I see it.

I disagree, Steph IS the system. Steph rarely gets plays called for him. They use a motion offense, read and react. He would take any shot he wanted because he would go and get it. What you're saying you could argue for any great player but it doesn't make sense. Greatness breeds greatness and everyone feeds off each other.

For instance, you could argue LeBron is a "system" player. He plays best as the primary ball handler, surrounded by shooters to create lanes to the rim and open man. LeBron IS that system. They wouldn't thrive without his ability to score, collapse the defense and make plays. The same for Steph. GS is best when Steph is playing at a high level.

It is up to a coach to get the most of his players and their abilities. So yes you're right. Steve Kerr has put Steph in a great position to be successful. If that's a system then so be it. But when you say system you're using it to undermine a players ability. I disagree with that.

Oh and this is what I said regarding the best player.

LeBron is the best player still but right now Steph is playing the best basketball. Dude is unguardable.

• AZTG
    AZTG Members Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Beta wrote: »
    Phil out here still forcing the triangle with rose and kristaps still thrown off by it and now blaming hornacek because he feels its not a talent issue when he should be running a up tempo system like he did in phoenix.

He about to be the scapegoat

Rumors are out man. Looks like Hornacek getting fired at the end of season. 5th coach in 4 seasons coming up
  • yroholla
    yroholla Members Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    yroholla wrote: »

I wouldn't argue against that. But we talking about Steph, who ? were claiming as the best player in the league just last year.

I hear you but ur post basically saying curry only benefiting from the system like he ain't the best shooter on the team which would automatically make life easier for everybody else not the other way around in my opinion
  • AZTG
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Yall in here actually responding to this bless the child guy? Ignore dude so he goes away man
  • iron man1
    iron man1 Members Posts: 29,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    At least we finally have picks again smh
  • Tommy bilfiger
    Tommy bilfiger Members Posts: 22,675 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kerrs "system"(all he did was bite phil jax and pop offenses and meshed them) benefited the warriors in general.

Klay and curry were shooting 40%+ from 3's under mark jackson.But they became an unstoppable offense 67,73 win title team under kerr.The warriors have the most 30+ assist games in the league the last 2-3 seasons by a huge margin.It's damn near impossible to guard them the way they move the ball and players move without the rock,look at how many wide open 3's curry,klay,durant get a game despite teams keying on them.Curry is not the system he's a key cog but the ball movement and off ball movement with elite shooters is what makes them thrive offensively.
  • AZTG
    Options
    iron man1 wrote: »
    At least we finally have picks again smh

Word man. We could be the nets
  • bless the child
    edited March 2017
    Options

No I didn't. You just can't separate acknowledging greatness from "? riding" as you would call it. I just call out bs when I see it.

I disagree, Steph IS the system. Steph rarely gets plays called for him. They use a motion offense, read and react. He would take any shot he wanted because he would go and get it. What you're saying you could argue for any great player but it doesn't make sense. Greatness breeds greatness and everyone feeds off each other.

For instance, you could argue LeBron is a "system" player. He plays best as the primary ball handler, surrounded by shooters to create lanes to the rim and open man. LeBron IS that system. They wouldn't thrive without his ability to score, collapse the defense and make plays. The same for Steph. GS is best when Steph is playing at a high level.

It is up to a coach to get the most of his players and their abilities. So yes you're right. Steve Kerr has put Steph in a great position to be successful. If that's a system then so be it. But when you say system you're using it to undermine a players ability. I disagree with that.

LeBron is the best player still but right now Steph is playing the best basketball. Dude is unguardable.

Bruh, if you put Kyrie or Dame Lillard on GS, would GS be able to play the same style of play that they play now? If so, then how is Steph the system? GS would still be just as dominate with either of them.

If anybody is the system it's Lebron. We've seen him lead a team to 66 wins without another all star, and still dominate the league. He dominates regardless of the talent around him, or style of play.

Are you really gonna sit here and claim that Steph could play for a team with no all stars, and dominate the league all while winning 60 plus games? Be for real. Steph without star talent around him is a 24 ppg on 45 percent shooting type of guy. Nowhere close to being a uninamous mvp, much less the best player in the league like some of you ? was claiming. You might not have been one, but alot of ? in here were.

• iron man1
    iron man1 Members Posts: 29,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kerrs "system"(all he did was bite phil jax and pop offenses and meshed them) benefited the warriors in general.

Klay and curry were shooting 40%+ from 3's under mark jackson.But they became an unstoppable offense 67,73 win title team under kerr.The warriors have the most 30+ assist games in the league the last 2-3 seasons by a huge margin.It's damn near impossible to guard them the way they move the ball and players move without the rock,look at how many wide open 3's curry,klay,durant get a game despite teams keying on them.Curry is not the system he's a key cog but the ball movement and off ball movement with elite shooters is what makes them thrive offensively.

It's helped that damn near everyone on their roster the last 3-4 years are all around type players with passing being one of them. Even Bogut was a good passer when he was there now they had Durant just playmakers everywhere.
  • bless the child
    Options

It was late didn't feel like doing what you did so I threw the oop and you caught it sir good job the ? is a idiot

"System player" ? just throwing convenient smart dumb ? wannabe basketball anylalysis words out

A ? who thrives on ugly unconventional shots can't be a "system player" can he get his in a System yes is a he system player hell no

Never seen this ? post here now the warriors are having a little trouble in the season. (still 54-14) he's trash????

Lol...see what I'm saying? ? ? out here creating strawman arguments, and thinking they live. Foh lol
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Bruh, if you put Kyrie or Dame Lillard on GS, would GS be able to play the same style of play that they play now? If so, then how is Steph the system? GS would still be just as dominate with either of them.

If anybody is the system it's Lebron. We've seen him lead a team to 66 wins without another all star, and still dominate the league. He dominates regardless of the talent around him, or style of play.

Are you really gonna sit and claim that Steph could play for a team with no all stars, and dominate the league all while winning 60 plus games? Be for real. Steph without star talent around him is at 24 ppg player with a 45 percent shooting average. Nowhere close to being a uninamous mvp, must less the best player in the league like ? was claiming. You might not have been one, but alot of ? in here were.

no they wouldn't

Steph w/o star talent is still a star and great player. If your point is he's not the best player, ok. Anything else, you just being extra
  • bless the child
    edited March 2017
    Options
    R.D. wrote: »

Are you really gonna sit and claim that Steph could play for a team with no all stars, and dominate the league all while winning 60 plus games? Be for real. Steph without star talent around him is at 24 ppg player with a 45 percent shooting average. Nowhere close to being a uninamous mvp, must less the best player in the league like ? was claiming. You might not have been one, but alot of ? in here were.

no they wouldn't

Steph w/o star talent is still a star and great player. If your point is he's not the best player, ok. Anything else, you just being extra

No ? ? lol....that's how this whole ? got to where it is now. I never said he wasnt a star player. All I basically said, was that the dominance we saw last year was because of his overall team, and their style of play. Not because Steph had that "best player in the world" transcendent talent that would dominate like that in any setting. He had one of greatest seasons of all time, but that's all it was. It was some flash in the pan type ? . He will never have another season like that in his career.
  • D. Morgan
    Options

Are you really gonna sit here and claim that Steph could play for a team with no all stars, and dominate the league all while winning 60 plus games? Be for real. Steph without star talent around him is a 24 ppg on 45 percent shooting type of guy. Nowhere close to being a uninamous mvp, much less the best player in the league like some of you ? was claiming. You might not have been one, but alot of ? in here were.

Regardless of the system or not last season Curry was the best player in the league. This season Curry with the same system not best player but he still easily one of the best.