Options
124»

Comments

• SimplyKrys
    SimplyKrys Members Posts: 763 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    HafBayked wrote: »
    J-GUTTA wrote: »
    For those of you that moved out at 17, 18, 19.... are we talking about college? Where the hell did yall go?

The four years I spent in Missouri in undergrad, aside, I came home and didn't move out until 24... just a few months shy of my 25th birthday just to be able to say I own everything I have. Renting actually scares me. The word itself makes me cringe.

? after reading everyone's post I feel old saying 25 is when I moved out. I would have moved out earlier but my Dad said save up buy a crib don't rent. Bought my condo and been chilln ever since. Never had a roommate or anything.

I know people who moved out and were renting and had no furniture. I didn't know what the aim was

its not always an aim....just the cards some people were dealt

You ain't never lied, everyone's situation is different. Not everyone has support and they have to fend for themselves. It's rough for a lot of people.
  • mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Moved out at 18 and went off to school. Told my mom I was leaving regardless, whether I went off to school or not. Being at home wasn't even that bad. I pretty much had as much freedom as you could get living at home. But there is a certain level of grown man that you just can't achieve at home.

There are definitely pros and cons to staying at home longer, just depends on what types of things you value more. For me, the independence and the chance to test my mettle was more important than anything else, so...i bounced.
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    SimplyKrys wrote: »
    HafBayked wrote: »
    For those of you that moved out at 17, 18, 19.... are we talking about college? Where the hell did yall go?

The four years I spent in Missouri in undergrad, aside, I came home and didn't move out until 24... just a few months shy of my 25th birthday just to be able to say I own everything I have. Renting actually scares me. The word itself makes me cringe.

? after reading everyone's post I feel old saying 25 is when I moved out. I would have moved out earlier but my Dad said save up buy a crib don't rent. Bought my condo and been chilln ever since. Never had a roommate or anything.

I know people who moved out and were renting and had no furniture. I didn't know what the aim was

its not always an aim....just the cards some people were dealt

You ain't never lied, everyone's situation is different. Not everyone has support and they have to fend for themselves. It's rough for a lot of people.

Hell at one of my first apt I didn't have living room furniture for like 8 months ... not cuz I couldn't afford it or was struggling but I was never really there....I d go there really to have sex ( had a nice bedroom set up)....if not I'd be at my mom's crib chilling all the time
  • konceptjones
    konceptjones Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

? happens that way sometimes.

I got my first apt with a couple of my boys, we had NOTHING in that ? the first night and barely any money to our names. Me and one of my boys (from this story http://community.allhiphop.com/discussion/comment/8886604#Comment_8886464) slept on the floor with our winter coats for pillows for a couple of days existing off of frosted honey buns and 2 liter bottles of Hawaiian Punch. Thing was, we were all essentially homeless. All of us had been kicked out of the dorms for one reason or another so we figured we'd all get an apartment together. I slept in my sister's dorm room on her floor from time to time, but for the most part the crew had all been sleeping where we could (usually a tv room in one of the dorms) and chilled on campus during the day going to class and whatnot (one cat in the crew had been kicked out of the dorms for lighting a tiny corner of a piece of paper on fire http://www.laweekly.com/music/house-shoes-seminal-producer-talks-new-album-j-dilla-beef-2409289).

When we got that apartment it was like "? it... we got a roof over our heads".
  • saracenwire
    saracenwire Members Posts: 523 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Options
    18 years and 1 day. My parents paid for a motel for one month, it was up to me to find a place by the end of that month.
  • luke1733
    luke1733 Members Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    SimplyKrys wrote: »
    So, how old were you when you moved out?

What caused you to leave your mom and/or dad's place?

Now that you look back are you glad that you moved out at the age that you did?

For me I had just turned 19. I moved out because I wasn't getting along with my mom's bf (I really can't stand him). Now that I look back on it I am glad I moved out when I did. Growing up there was never much stability. Growing up I thought I would be one of those people that lived at home well into their 20's but then my mom met that d-bag and I realized otherwise. One time when I was in college I was talking to this girl and she said that her dad is the one paying for her schooling and she hasn't had to take out not a single loan. When she said that all I could think to myself was, "it must be nice to have a mom/dad that can help you." I feel like when one moves out at an early age they learn independence but when I met people who have families that are financially doing well I say to myself, it must be nice to have that support.

Add your experience...

-So, how old were you when you moved out? 16

-What caused you to leave your mom and/or dad's place? Graduated High School and had scholarship for College. In all truth my Dad made me move out. I really didn't like him at the time and simply was fighting mad with him and saw that instead of going fists with him, like he did to me in 10th grade, I decided I'd leave and basically never ever have to come back.

-Now that you look back are you glad that you moved out at the age that you did? Yeah, I am glad. Staying would have made me a worse person.
  • Dazzling
    Dazzling Members Posts: 410 ✭✭✭
    Options