Official Drake - "More Life" Playlist Discussion (3.18)

Options

Comments

• infamous114
    infamous114 Members, Moderators Posts: 52,202 Regulator
    Options
    That's not Drake
  • TayGettem
    TayGettem Members Posts: 6,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sion wrote: »
    TayGettem wrote: »
    Ay yall lemme just dead this argument and prove my point

@Sion

NAME OR POST 1 TRACK BY DRAKE THAT DOESNT HAVE TO DO WITH ONE OF THE FOLLOWING

Women
    His Past
    Him braggin abt himself and his accomplishments

Ill wait cuz i see u say he challenged hisself by using grime, jamaican, Spanish...etc but when its all said and done his only using those things to talk more abt himself his past and women period

This premise is beyond stupid AF because name me any artist that doesn't have music that talks about any of the things they're familiar with. You draw from things to understand. You can't pigeon hole Drake he literally does it all - he sings, raps, writes, talked about every subject there is, from the plights of the city to relationships to family issues, etc and has even jumped on different styles of production too.

He challenged himself by stepping outside of his sound and production, name me a Drake album that encompasses reggae, Spanish, grime and afrobeat. You can't name any. Childish Gambino made an entire funk album about him singing. Of course you keep elements of familiarity for fans who like that.

See this goes back to what I've been talking about this entire time, Drake gets more flack for things other artists do that they get passes for. That's my gripe. Cuz y'all don't like the ? - I could posts songs on songs and you will not give him any credit because *sighs* y'all don't like the ? .
    TayGettem wrote: »
    Ay yall lemme just dead this argument and prove my point

@Sion

NAME OR POST 1 TRACK BY DRAKE THAT DOESNT HAVE TO DO WITH ONE OF THE FOLLOWING

Women
    His Past
    Him braggin abt himself and his accomplishments

Ill wait cuz i see u say he challenged hisself by using grime, jamaican, Spanish...etc but when its all said and done his only using those things to talk more abt himself his past and women period

This premise is beyond stupid AF because name me any artist that doesn't have music that talks about any of the things they're familiar with. You draw from things to understand. You can't pigeon hole Drake he literally does it all - he sings, raps, writes, talked about every subject there is, from the plights of the city to relationships to family issues, etc and has even jumped on different styles of production too.

He challenged himself by stepping outside of his sound and production, name me a Drake album that encompasses reggae, Spanish, grime and afrobeat. You can't name any. Childish Gambino made an entire funk album about him singing. Of course you keep elements of familiarity for fans who like that.

See this goes back to what I've been talking about this entire time, Drake gets more flack for things other artists do that they get passes for. That's my gripe. Cuz y'all don't like the ? - I could posts songs on songs and you will not give him any credit because *sighs* y'all don't like the ? .

Ay bro who is yall u act like y the only drake fan here? Foh
    Also when u talk growth i mean subject matter
    Cole and Kendrick both have proven they can rap abt things other then themselves or things that revovle around them
    Drake hasn't which is why i said post a song showing he has
    Has his sound changed sure but its still the same ? in a different toilet....also i hated childish Gambinos album i don't like funk or jazz which is why i didnt like tpab. I respected the content but not the sound
  • TayGettem
    Options
    Mr.LV wrote: »
    But critics have to admit the bar for expectation is much much higher for Drake projects than Kendrick Lamar, Big Sean, J.Cole.

I cant speak for everyone else but i hold them all to the same standard ik what there strong suits are so i expect that and more from them content wise
  • nex gin
    nex gin Members Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    AggyAF wrote: »
    I think people are rightly criticizing that five albums in he shows little to no personal growth

This is my biggest issue w/ him personally. ? ain't even trying to challenge himself. It's like he's found the cheat code and is exploiting the ? out of it. From a business standpoint I can't knock him. I mean...why add new items to the menu if everybody is content w/ the #1 combo. From an artistic standpoint I think it's ? though. Plenty of top tier artists challenge themselves, tackle varies topics and subject matter, evolve and grow and are still held in high regard. Drake is like the Call of Duty of hip hop....different packaging...same content every release.
  • TayGettem
    Options
    ? forbid you have a difference in opinion in the Reason.

Lol i respect ya opinion u just kept hittin me with that yall ? like i wasnt in the trenches of that Drake vs Meek thread backing drake lol

All im saying is even when drake goes pop or r&b its still considered r&b rap or pop rap. Drake needs to accept his role as a rapper he came in wanting the top spot then he should be prepared for what comes with it.

All this "im not a rapper" back peddling he does won't earn him no favors.

Also MJ, Pac, Prince, Beatles all transcend there gernes but they still stayed in there respective generes and made music so good in there gerne that it touched the world. Drake should try doing that instead of all this tryin to switch genres mid career it dont work like that
  • LcnsdbyROYALTY
    LcnsdbyROYALTY Members Posts: 13,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    https://youtu.be/dqZywmtj3yc

Inb4 no white opinions

But ctfu @ this

dmrhalbsy182.png
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    But when is Drake gonna give us a classic ...
  • GetoBoy
    GetoBoy Members Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Nice try OVOSion but don't get your panties in a bunch over your love for Drake I wasn't tryna interfere with you dutty wine to passionfruit remember have fun and lighting up lolololol
  • KamPushMe
    KamPushMe Members Posts: 7,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just realized that drake has been using the 48 laws of power seriously. He always credited his success to that book and often meets with original author.

Law 7: Get others to do your work but always take credit.

Mo g and xxxtencion are victims of this law.

Law 15: crush your enemies totally and law 19: know your dealing with.

Obviously meek mill

• blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    But critics have to admit the bar for expectation is much much higher for Drake projects than Kendrick Lamar, Big Sean, J.Cole.

The bar is higher because he's supposed to be the best, hands down. it's the same standard folks hold Jay too. So how is that a problem?

Funny because ? swear he's a pop star who is not considered in the discussion when being the best comes up...so why hold him to those standards?
  • LcnsdbyROYALTY
    Options
    GetoBoy wrote: »
    I would suck off Jay-Z or any of them Rocnation ? what are you talking about !? Love me some Hovi Baby, ? y'all Rocnation for life.

Yo, Sion you ? as hell for this ? lmao
  • TayGettem
    Options
    I would suck off Jay-Z or any of them Rocnation ? what are you talking about !? Love me some Hovi Baby, ? y'all Rocnation for life.

giphy.gif
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What?
    blackrain wrote: »

The bar is higher because he's supposed to be the best, hands down. it's the same standard folks hold Jay too. So how is that a problem?

Funny because ? swear he's a pop star who is not considered in the discussion when being the best comes up...so why hold him to those standards?

So you really want to start comparing drake to pop stars? Because unu feelings will be hurt too
  • LcnsdbyROYALTY
    Options
    Y'all seriously don't see what happened :joy:
  • Bender Rodriguez
    Bender Rodriguez Members Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    so what mod(hmmm) edited that ? post
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I need to know all this growth that all these other artist have shown

I only think of a few

Cole
    TI
    Kendrick
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
  • Siqnih Da Trapper
    Siqnih Da Trapper Members Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    nice work drake
  • bears2248
    bears2248 Members Posts: 282 ✭✭
    Options
    But when is Drake gonna give us a classic ...

I think it get's to a point where he will never put an classic album for some people. And I think the word classic gets thrown around too much in Hip-Hop.
  • Siqnih Da Trapper
    Options
    NTWS > More Life

Cosign lol by to me that's his best album lol . T

naw that's take care

#VegasLights
  • mohamed
    mohamed Members Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This album is dope. I guess my expectations for drake aren't too much. I definitely didn't expect him to push the envelope a la Kendrick but this album is refreshing sonically which is impressive being that it's easy for artist to become lazy after a couple album
  •  i ro ny
    i ro ny Members Posts: 8,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'll give you one guess....

• Siqnih Da Trapper
    Options
    i ro ny wrote: »

I'll give you one guess....

lol