So Nobody Ain't Gonna Talk About Rikers Island Finally Shutting Down????

Options
1CK1S
1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

On Friday (March 31), New York Mayor Bill de Blasio announced on Twitter that his administration is taking steps to close the infamous Rikers Island prison facility. De Blasio drew praise for his actions from Jay Z and John Legend, keeping in line with a growing sentiment against mass incarceration.

Mayor de Blasio is working in conjunction with Speaker of the City Council Melissa Mark-Viverito in closing Rikers, which will happen over time according to a media announcement.

Jay Z published a rare tweet in support of the move, referencing Kalief Browder, the troubled young man who was imprisoned in Rikers. Browder spent three years on the island and took his own life once he was released. Browder was the subject of the Time: The Kalief Browder Story documentary with Jay Z serving as a co-executive producer.

John Legend followed with a pair of tweets and has long been a vocal critic of prison overpopulation.

“Thanks to @NYCMayor, @NYCCouncil, Judge Lippman, @CloseRikers & @glennEmartin for your commitment to end #massincarceration,” Legend wrote in the tweets. “In closing Rikers, New York City takes a crucial step towards ending #massincarceration. Now the hard work begins.”

Others that have spent time behind bars at Rikers Island include Tupac and Bobby Shmurda.

http://www.hiphopdx.com/news/id.42921/title.jay-z-john-legend-praise-mayor-bill-de-blasio-for-announcement-of-rikers-island-closure

Comments

• Maximus Rex
    Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I was going to post this. ? kind of fuckery is this? The possibility of Riker's being closed is the penal equivalent to rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. How is building new jails, (which is a waste of taxpayers money,) going to reduced or eliminate CO brutality, corruption, and ? sellin'? Building new jails is only going to give those ? ass CO's a brand spanking new place to be brutal, corrupt, and sell ? in.

Also, WHERE IN THE ? IS THE CITY GOING TO BUILD THESE NEW JAILS? The City isn't going to place them on the Upper Eastside, the Westside, or South Williamsburg. Muthafuckas don't want jails in their neighborhoods, so where are they going to go? Far Rockaway? East New York? Hunts Point? de Blasio is definitely trippin' with this one.
  • Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I wonder how Shay Davis feels bout this
  • Trillfate
    Trillfate Members Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So this De blasio guy is alright or what?
  • (ob)Scene
    (ob)Scene Members Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Options
    But closing Rikers doesn't solve the problem....changing the behavior and mindstate of those involved is the task

Depends on what they do in place of that void.

What if they have intentions of building rehabilitation facilities to house city prisoners?

This is a start. You don't shun progress because it's only a mile marker and not the actual finish line. It's a process and this is a significant and symbolic step.
  • rebootx1
    rebootx1 Members Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Privatized prisons gonna be more popular now, also kalief Brower wasn't no saint seen the documentry.If u gonna make a big deal about somebody being innocent make sure they squeaky clean.
  • CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    rebootx1 wrote: »
    Privatized prisons gonna be more popular now, also kalief Brower wasn't no saint seen the documentry.If u gonna make a big deal about somebody being innocent make sure they squeaky clean.

so then u sayin it was justified??
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Options
    But closing Rikers doesn't solve the problem....changing the behavior and mindstate of those involved is the task

Don't tell Jay Z that ?
  • Lurkristocrat
    Lurkristocrat Members Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I wonder how Shay Davis feels bout this

The goat lmao
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You are right he was a teenager that cut up. Nothing more nothing-less. I dont know any saints. Saints are Unicorns
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    Oh. Good for new yorkers?
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Rikers is fill with thugs send em to that dump in jersey or away from ny
  • Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There IS a prison in the center of Brooklyn, but I think that's a youth detention facility.

I sense mass transfers out of NYC coming.
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    Idk how to feel about this where will these new jail be built
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Closing down Rikers is lipstick on a pig type ? .

Its like going to the doctor for a broken ankle and the doctor x-raying your wrist.

It changes nothing.

• mohamed
    mohamed Members Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I remember I was almost sent to rikers... I was scared shitless lol
  • AP21
    AP21 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 17,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You are right he was a teenager that cut up. Nothing more nothing-less. I dont know any saints. Saints are Unicorns

I ? with Drew Brees tho
  • Maximus Rex
    Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Idk how to feel about this where will these new jail be built

The issue isn't where the news jails will built per se, rather where they WON'T be built. Rich white CACs on the Upper East Side hated on having Citi Bikes docks on their block and killed that ? . Muthafuckas ? when tv and movie shoots cause too much disruption too their lives. Hell, people in NYC get tight behind noise population coming from bars when they live NEAR OR ABOVE A BAR! Now, these stupid muthafuckas are talking about sprinkling jails across the 5 boroughs? Really bruh?

This ? comes with a gang of unintended consequences. Traffic and parking issues for that will adveresly impact the surrounding neighborhoods. Buses takin' muthafuckas back and forth to court. Ratchet ass muthafuckas bringing ratchet ass behavior to the neighborhood the jail is in. Include the ? ass CO's in the people engaging in ratchet ass behavior. Newly released inmates getting out jail in the wee wee hours of morning roaming around your neighborhood.

This ? is a classic example of "liberalism run awry," that CACs always ? about. If they're plans of building these smaller coummity jails on the Upper East and West Sides in 50's, 60's, 70's and 80's, in Broohlyn Heights, DUMBO, TriBeca, SoHo, the Finacial District, Downtown Brooklyn, Park Slope, Maspath, Howard Beach, Broad Channel, Rockaway Beach, Tote Hill, Brighton Beach, or Breezy Point, then go right ahead and ? off precious tax payer dollars on this ? . If not, then HELL-TO-NO!
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Every city is different there was a house that sold for $805K that is only .2 miles from DC Jail.

Its also still a varied income neighborhood as well. Have a gentrified house on a block with people who lived there during the worst of times.

Any apartment or house that goes on sale around there is bought by a person or company with money to renovate it and sale it at a high ass price.
  • JusDre313
    JusDre313 Members Posts: 4,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

cracka
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    People still going to prison tho