Am i racist to dislike Black artists using white or very lightskinned love interests in their vids?

Options
fortyacres
fortyacres Members, Moderators Posts: 4,479 Regulator
edited April 2017 in For The Grown & Sexy
Whether its in Rap (especially emo rappers) , R&B (especially emo trap singers) ,Dancehall and more and more in Afrobeats videos, ive been seeing alot of the models,love interests and dancers being more white or racially ambiguous (more towards the white hispanic side) . Wouldnt it make more sense to just look for the most beautiful looking black and brown women and cast them in those roles giving them some form of employment,raising their profiles(for their portfolio & whatever next venture they can get) and casting them in the same positive light as they do their white love interest/models etc , as it is already pretty difficult for black women especially when it come to representation in the entertainment industry to get some form of exposure.

I mean lets be real alot of white women are already considered the standard of beauty and compared to black and brown women they get jobs in entertainment, tabloid industry etc much much easier and it doesnt help if the entertainers (assuming they have influence) in the making of their videos or tabloid photoshoots they can have a say in what kind of women they want and how they want them projected to the world or are they just clueless.

Does it matter ? , am I reaching ? or just being prejudice here ?

Comments

• Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No, I agree and this is why I don't watch rap videos because they always show racial ambiguous, light skin, and white women in a high light and it's only edgy to show a brown skin women and unheard of using a beautiful dark skin black woman in a highlight. It's actually really showing and telling how they put these images in our head to decide what our preferences are and what black women should aspire to be.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i dont like it either.

they all look the same an I dint know...I just get tired of seeing the same type girl an mkstvof the time they not cute....just 7/8 named with long hair an light skin.
  • Kat
    Kat Members Posts: 50,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Meh..I'd rather see a come back of a more natural type of woman, regardless of the race. All these females look the same these days..just different skin tones.

I did feel some type of way when I finally saw the video for this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErUKBfLLk_k

She just didn't fit what I expected to see as the love interest for some reason.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That not racist.
  • fortyacres
    Options
    Kat wrote: »
    Meh..I'd rather see a come back of a more natural type of woman, regardless of the race. All these females look the same these days..just different skin tones.

She just didn't fit what I expected to see as the love interest for some reason.

how is this not all connected ?
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    B b b b b b but we all black right?
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Not racist, but you're probably petty to care.
  • playmaker88
    edited April 2017
    Options
    its not petty either. Seemingly a small thing its a big thing. I dont think 4 paragraphs are needed to explain why this has merit.
  • Busta Carmichael
    Busta Carmichael Members, Moderators Posts: 13,161 Regulator
    Options

What u mean meh? Can't relate b.

And all of them look the same? Besides skin tone? Whattt?
  • Kat
    edited April 2017
    Options

You know exactly what I mean. Contoured faces with stenciled on eyebrows and long full lashes. Perfectly formed bodies, ass and ? big with snatched waists. Long hair always, curly or the super straight. Basically the IG prototype.

I have to watch 90s videos to see some real diversity in style and look.

As for that specific video, that's a grown and sexy song..I expected to see a grown and sexy woman! She looks like his 16yo niece..with his tight ass windbreaker.
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Well, considering most mainstream rap and R&B is straight ? anyways I really don't care to see Black women of any hue engaging in the ? . To be honest I'd rather they be white women, ? and exploit them not our women they deserve better.
  • playmaker88
    Options
    Kwan Dai wrote: »
    Well, considering most mainstream rap and R&B is straight ? anyways I really don't care to see Black women of any hue engaging in the ? . To be honest I'd rather they be white women, ? and exploit them not our women they deserve better.

Most definitely.. that ? still impacts thought.. because alot of these chicks self esteem/worth is attached to these images.. They co-opt the style/behavior and the terms that they are described as. The new normal... is skewing reality
  • Kat
    Options
    Copper wrote: »
    Where y'all still watching music videos at?

Lol..on YouTube!

I love music videos, always have.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kwan Dai wrote: »

Most definitely.. that ? still impacts thought.. because alot of these chicks self esteem/worth is attached to these images.. They co-opt the style/behavior and the terms that they are described as. The new normal... is skewing reality

Sounds like the problem is what people let influence them. Not an easy problem to fix, I know, but it's about time we start addressing the root causes of things instead of the symptoms.
  • fortyacres
    Options

Youtube , Twitter , Tidal , blogs , forums pick one.
  • Busta Carmichael
    Busta Carmichael Members, Moderators Posts: 13,161 Regulator
    Options

You know exactly what I mean. Contoured faces with stenciled on eyebrows and long full lashes. Perfectly formed bodies, ass and ? big with snatched waists. Long hair always, curly or the super straight. Basically the IG prototype.

I have to watch 90s videos to see some real diversity in style and look.

As for that specific video, that's a grown and sexy song..I expected to see a grown and sexy woman! She looks like his 16yo niece..with his tight ass windbreaker.

Ionno I only see color. Women notice different things I guess.
  • King_Me
    King_Me Members Posts: 663 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nah not racist. I remember when ? was going in on Khalid for his video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=by3yRdlQvzs
  • fuc_i_look_like
    fuc_i_look_like Members Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    man, a lot of these rappers/artists are ? . just listen to their lryics & watch their videos.Gotti got some song.on the radio talking bout "Spanish ? , J.Lo". Smh.
  • yellowtapesport
    yellowtapesport Members Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    All pink inside
  • fortyacres
    Options
    All pink inside

that doesnt apply here ?
  • playmaker88
    Options
    All pink inside

take your infantile rebuttal somewhere else b
  • gdatruth2.0
    gdatruth2.0 Members Posts: 3,581 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I've noticed the same thing
    unless the video is set a strip club black women are very rarely featured promiently.
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    fortyacres wrote: »

Youtube , Twitter , Tidal , blogs , forums pick one.

How bout pick none
  • Mr.LV
    Mr.LV Members Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Options
    You would have to go back to the early 2000's to see a black woman as a love interest.
    Excuse Me Miss
    https://youtu.be/tnDh0JhmaFw

Song Cry
    https://youtu.be/w5srnNrICJo