Am i racist to dislike Black artists using white or very lightskinned love interests in their vids?

Options

Comments

• High Revolutionary
    High Revolutionary Members Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I remember back in the day it was unheard of to see hispanic/white women in videos. It all changed somewhere around the mid 2000's. Now they're practically a staple.

You'll [chris rock]neeeevvverr[/chris rock] see another video like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejtzsZq7A44

P.s. Neo-soul artists still represent though, I think.
  • silverfoxx
    silverfoxx Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 11,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I remember back in the day it was unheard of to see hispanic/white women in videos. It all changed somewhere around the mid 2000's. Now they're practically a staple.

You'll [chris rock]neeeevvverr[/chris rock] see another video like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejtzsZq7A44

P.s. Neo-soul artists still represent though, I think.

Smh Lil Zayne really thought he was 2pac
  • MallyG
    MallyG Members Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Shout out to Dolph for the "Royalty" vid doing the exact opposite!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9LEgymKtDNo
  • Plutarch
    Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    man, a lot of these rappers/artists are ? . just listen to their lryics & watch their videos.Gotti got some song.on the radio talking bout "Spanish ? , J.Lo". Smh.

I wonder how much control rappers/artists have over who appears in their music videos. Could very well be that the producers, directors, executives, etc. make the final decisions.
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    Mr.LV wrote: »
    You would have to go back to the early 2000's to see a black woman as a love interest.
    Excuse Me Miss
    https://youtu.be/tnDh0JhmaFw

Song Cry
    https://youtu.be/w5srnNrICJo

1. No you wouldn't. There's still videos with darker women as love interest. Remember Kendrick got props for specifically requesting a dark skin woman as the interest for Poetic Justice video
    2. Black is black is black whether it's light skin or dark skin. While I do think there's clearly some artists who only put lighter women in their videos or talk about getting a light skin girl too much, I also think people need to get off this train of thought where you have to down lighter women as if they're not black in order to uplift darker women
    3. Any woman who bases her self image or any dude who bases the women he should like based on music videos is stupid
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    King_Me wrote: »
    Nah not racist. I remember when ? was going in on Khalid for his video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=by3yRdlQvzs

The ? lives in El Paso for ? sake

@kat this convo is not for you
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    AggyAF wrote: »
    MallyG wrote: »

In a song calling women ? LMAO

Women make no sense

Women pick and choose when words like that offend them. They'll get mad when some dude calls them a hoe, but rush the dancefloor in their best hoe uniform when "Yous a Hoe" comes on. Well. at least they did when that song was actually out.
  • Kat
    Kat Members Posts: 50,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'll decide what conversation is for me. Feel free to skip over my post at any time.
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Kat wrote: »

Some nonsense .

tenor.gif
  • Koltrain
    Koltrain Members Posts: 4,286 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I've thought about that too, and while it's true that u shouldn't base your self esteem on something trivial like a music video, but it's a strong message to little girls when they only see themselves portrayed as the bad ? with a phat (fake) ass..
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Only weak minded people let ? like this bother them IMO. I don't know anyone offline who even complains about ? like this. There are many real problems to deal with than to worry about an irrelevant music video from garbage rappers.
  • CottonCitySlim
    CottonCitySlim Members Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    are they love interest or glorified sex objects?

Music video ain't a movie..
  • semi-auto-mato
    semi-auto-mato Members Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Normally it doesn't bother me. I like fat chicks but they are rarely the love interest. That location video bothered me though. ? was just offensive to me.
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yeah that ? looks wack af

I agree with the thread premise 100% ...i just dont watch videos that much.

everything said can be taken and applied to shonda rhimes shows and it would be spot on
  • 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You got every right.

I would say though, that for a long time artists been disconnected from their videos... ? , nowadays they even get away with being detached from their lyrics (ex. ghostwriters; the pass Drake gets).

How many times you hear them say that the video was directed by "______".

I think it's ? tho. If I'm the artist, I'm not going to be ok with a video that goes against what I believe in. But, again, these artists hardly be having control over ? ... or some of them might actually like those types of chicks ?
  • Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I outgrew hip hop videos. I don't like rick and michonne being together in the walking dead. I don't respect sasha's feelings for Abraham.
  • High Revolutionary
    High Revolutionary Members Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Cats can downplay it, say "black is black", say "they're bigger things to worry about"," I don't care", etc. but the reality is there is a deliberate effort to marginalize Black women and/or Black women beyond a certain skin tone. The examples are endless:

Harriet-Jacquelin.jpg

That's the actress they picked to play Harriet Tubman in the Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter movie. But she still Black so I guess it doesn't matter.
  • Undefeatable
    Undefeatable Members Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I agree, and I especially don't like when they are rapping about how successful they are and the love interests or whatever are white, as if there is no surer sign of having made it than the fact that you are now ? white women.

I'm also against putting light-skinned "black" women in so many of these videos to a lesser extent.
  • bkkbully
    bkkbully Members Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Copper wrote: »
    Where y'all still watching music videos at?

wait lol where are you NOT watching music videos at? they're everywhere
  • Undefeatable
    Options
    Cats can downplay it, say "black is black", say "they're bigger things to worry about"," I don't care", etc. but the reality is there is a deliberate effort to marginalize Black women and/or Black women beyond a certain skin tone. The examples are endless:

Harriet-Jacquelin.jpg

That's the actress they picked to play Harriet Tubman in the Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter movie. But she still Black so I guess it doesn't matter.

Smh.

We need to STOP this "black is black" nonsense.
  • blackrain
    Options

Harriet-Jacquelin.jpg

People complained that Denzel Washington wasn't the correct shade to play Malcom X too...when it comes to movies so long as it's not something egregious and the person is actually talented then a shade or 2 don't really make a difference.
  • blackrain
    Options

Harriet-Jacquelin.jpg

Smh.

Why is saying that if you're black you're black nonsense? Is there some measure for how black you are based on your skin tone?
  • Undefeatable
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »

Harriet-Jacquelin.jpg

Smh.

Why is saying that if you're black you're black nonsense? Is there some measure for how black you are based on your skin tone?

If "black is black" then there is nothing to complain about when dark-skinned blacks are marginalized, as High Revolutionary put it.

The "Black is black" idea just blinds us to colourism. It's like white folks saying "it doesn't matter what race you are."

• MallyG
    MallyG Members Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    MallyG wrote: »

In a song calling women ? LMAO

Women make no sense

BUT that's not what this thread is about sir! We're gonna stay on topic. lol