British DJ who played Muslim call to prayer remix sentenced by Tunisian court

Options
dontdiedontkillanyon
dontdiedontkillanyon Members Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
British DJ who played Muslim call to prayer remix sentenced by Tunisian court

BY APRIL CLARE WELSH, APR 7 2017

Dax-J-040417-616x440-1.jpg

DJ Dax J could face a year in prison over the incident.

A Tunisian court has charged British DJ Dax J with “public indecency and offending public morality” after he played a track that samples the Muslim call to prayer.

Dax J issued an apology following the incident, but had already fled the country before the court case. He could face up to a year in jail if convicted, reports BBC.

Footage of the incident taken at the El Guitone nightclub in Nabeul surfaced online last weekend following Dax J’s set on the Friday (March 31). The video showed attendees dancing to music that included a remix of the call to prayer, a sacred act performed five times a day by followers of the Muslim faith. The footage drew the attention of the authorities in the Muslim-majority country and the governor of Nabeul, Mnaouar Ouertani, decided that the club would “remain closed” until further notice.

At the time, Ouertani also said that the manager of El Guitone had been arrested for “violation against good morals and public outrage against modesty,” adding that “the government will not allow attacks against religious feelings and the sacred.”

However, according to a court spokesperson, the court have dismissed charges against the nightclub owner and an event organiser. The prosecution has appealed, claiming it is their responsibility to check ahead what the DJ would be playing.

Dax J was performing at the event as part of Orbit Festival. The festival later apologized in a Facebook post but did not take responsibility for the offensive music.

http://www.factmag.com/2017/04/07/tunisian-court-sentences-dj-dax-j-for-playing-muslim-call-to-prayer-remix/

Comments

• its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Call to prayer? Yea sounds horrible...
  • AZTG
    AZTG Members Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Smh at the cultural insensivity of white people
  • gns
    gns Members Posts: 21,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That cac was smart
    He left that ? asap
  • Rozetta5tone
    Rozetta5tone Members Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Another reason why religion should be abolished. Prayer and song are virtually the same. Meant to channel energy and emotion for a desired purpose.

Mfs have the schematics of the universal law all ? up. There is a rhythm in spirituality that religious zealots try their best to suppress.
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    AZTG wrote: »

So people should be locked in cages cause they weren't sensitive?
  • AZTG
    AZTG Members Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Will Munny wrote: »

People should be respectful enough to follow the laws of the country they are in. I dont agree with laws but I follow them all the time. I can make similar comments about tons of laws in America, but that ? would be as stupid as your comment.

If those ? over there have a law, and you go to their country to make money, respect their laws. No one is asking you to agree with it.
  • Will Munny
    Options

People should be respectful enough to follow the laws of the country they are in. I dont agree with laws but I follow them all the time. I can make similar comments about tons of laws in America, but that ? would be as stupid as your comment.

If those ? over there have a law, and you go to their country to make money, respect their laws. No one is asking you to agree with it.

Ah so its stupid to think stupid laws are stupid. You're an apologist for stupid laws. I get it.
  • HarlemThumzUp
    HarlemThumzUp Members Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

fortyacres wrote: »
    Islam needs to lighten up

nah I don't think so cuz. We over here in America think that disrespecting ? is ok its entertaining and fuccin funny , " oh we were just playin " nah loc, not everybody plays like that. Times change not respect.
  • fortyacres
    fortyacres Members, Moderators Posts: 4,479 Regulator
    Options

nah I don't think so cuz. We over here in America think that disrespecting ? is ok its entertaining and fuccin funny , " oh we were just playin " nah loc, not everybody plays like that. Times change not respect.

if this "so called" ? exists , im pretty sure he/she can appreciate good humor even if it is at his/her expense.
  • HarlemThumzUp
    HarlemThumzUp Members Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

if this "so called" ? exists , im pretty sure he/she can appreciate good humor even if it is at his/her expense.

@DoUwant2go2Heaven talk to em loc.
  • powerman 5000
    powerman 5000 Members Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    play the record, then we can discuss if he needs to be in jail.
  • bkkbully
    bkkbully Members Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Most likely its a trash record. If that ? was hot Habbibi would be jammin
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Another sign of religion going crazy over nothing. A year in jail for playing the call for prayer remix? Religion equals emotions.
  • mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    At a certain point cats are gonna have to start respecting that just because YOU don't take some ? super seriously...doesn't mean other people don't.
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    DoUwant2go2Heaven Members Posts: 10,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@DoUwant2go2Heaven talk to em loc.

When people don't even respect themselves and they don't even care about where they will spend eternity; How can they even begin to respect the ? who made them?
  • qawshun
    qawshun Members Posts: 9,138 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Options

Where is ? at when his followers disrespect his rules of thou shall not ? ?? Granted dude should know better because those Islamic countries are batshit crazy. ? women still can't read and can have acid thrown in their face for trying to better themselves. If anything their should be a fine but damn are they not mad at who made the record
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He thought it was all good 2... how u gonna go to a Muslim country with that disrespect.... he lucky they ain't ? him
  • Will Munny
    Options
    mryounggun wrote: »
    At a certain point cats are gonna have to start respecting that just because YOU don't take some ? super seriously...doesn't mean other people don't.

What if he takes is music mixing super seriously?
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    A couple things, I was of the understanding music with instruments is not acceptable as far as the religion goes, two, I was expecting the dancers to stop dead but they kept dancing.
  • lord nemesis
    lord nemesis Members Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? . Everybody know them Muslims don't play about their religion. They be shooting up cartoonists just for joking
  • KingFreeman
    KingFreeman Members Posts: 13,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That's like walking into a police station screaming ? the police. You can do it if you want but you know what might come with that ? .

He knew what it was. His white privilege told him he could go out there do that ? , get paid and cut nfg. Off with his head.
  • Will Munny
    Options
    That's like walking into a police station screaming ? the police. You can do it if you want but you know what might come with that ? .

He knew what it was. His white privilege told him he could go out there do that ? , get paid and cut nfg. Off with his head.

People should be able to walk into police stations and scream ? the police.
  • HafBayked
    HafBayked Members Posts: 16,248 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I cant be mad at them for how they handle ? over there, but what if dude really didnt know it was that serious?

He didnt burn the book he mixed the prayer call with a track.....and im willing to bet he's not the first....he just chose the wrong place

I can legit picture dude before the show like "yeah they gone lose it when I drop this.....ima wait til like 1:30 when everybody's lit"
  • KingFreeman
    KingFreeman Members Posts: 13,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

People should be able to walk into police stations and scream ? the police.

I agree. But would you?

Rhetorical question.