Lebron James To Open School For At-Risk Youth

Options
MR.CJ
MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
LeBron James has put Akron, Ohio, on his back. On Tuesday the Cleveland Cavaliers megastar announced that he will be partnering with Akron Public Schools to open a school to help at-risk children.

The I Promise School will cater to third- and fourth-graders during 2018 and will expand to teach first through eighth grade by 2022, the Associated Press reports.

“This school is so important to me because our vision is to create a place for the kids in Akron who need it most—those that could fall through the cracks if we don’t do something,” James said during the announcement of the school, Cleveland.com reports.

“We’ve learned over the years what works and what motivates them, and now we can bring all of that together in one place along with the right resources and experts. If we get to them early enough, we can hopefully keep them on the right track to a bigger and brighter future for themselves and their families,” he said.

James’ school will expand the current Akron school curriculum to include a hands-on learning focus with an “emphasis on science, technology, engineering and math, and a dedication to the foundation’s ‘We Are Family’ philosophy,” Cleveland.com reports.

This isn’t James’ first initiative to help the children of Akron. According to AP, James has helped 1,100 kids in his hometown with a variety of programs, including his partnership with the University of Akron, which provided four-year scholarships to qualifying students within his program.

http://www.theroot.com/lebron-james-to-open-school-for-at-risk-youth-1794256717

Comments

• Olorun22
    Olorun22 Members Posts: 5,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If lbj invest in more businesses then the at risk kids would shrink.

Seems like rich black people don't get it. Black people already has education and it's not the problem it's about the money jobs business
  • Koltrain
    Koltrain Members Posts: 4,286 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I used to hate on Lebron, but i have nothing but respect for the things he's doing.
  • Ghostdenithegawd
    Ghostdenithegawd Members Posts: 16,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Olorun22 wrote: »

Seems like rich black people don't get it. Black people already has education and it's not the problem it's about the money jobs business

You have to have education to get a job though........ SMH ? have to find something negative in a positive situation do you know what a at risk youth is?

We can never have enough education the reason these teens are at risk is because the education they where getting is failing them among many other reasons
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

But he is.

He gave out scholarships to hundreds of kids just in his own city.
  • marc123
    marc123 Members Posts: 16,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Great intuitive by Lebron!

Gotta love the work this guy consistently does in the community

• Olorun22
    Options

You have to have education to get a job though........ SMH ? have to find something negative in a positive situation do you know what a at risk youth is?

We can never have enough education the reason these teens are at risk is because the education they where getting is failing them among many other reasons

You missing the point. They still going to grow with degrees and jobless because black people haven't built a economy..stupid
  • Olorun22
    Options
    Shizlansky wrote: »

But he is.

He gave out scholarships to hundreds of kids just in his own city.

You didn't read what I wrote huh
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The youth is the future. Invest in education and they can also build jobs
  • Olorun22
    Options
    Shizlansky wrote: »
    The youth is the future. Invest in education and they can also build jobs

I'm not saying don't. Built a economy
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
  •   Colin$mackabi$h
    Colin$mackabi$h Members Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Damn thats dope
  • babelipsss
    babelipsss Members Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That's awesome! Cleveland is going to give him his own holiday or name their airport after him or something.

SMH at people who think they can spend his money better than he can.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No story from TMZ I see.....

Props to King James. I hate his NBA politics. But off the court, he's the nigg for this.
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    Options
    Even better that it's part of the public school system so more kids will have access and not just some tax write off charter school
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What no ? Jordan doing for his people!
  • texas409
    texas409 Members Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I been telling folks this LeBron is top 5 legend in all of sports not just for his on court greatness but off court business savvy too. Dude had the weight of the world on his shoulders since he was a high schooler and he has over achieved every step of the way
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    texas409 wrote: »
    I been telling folks this LeBron is top 5 legend in all of sports not just for his on court greatness but off court business savvy too. Dude had the weight of the world on his shoulders since he was a high schooler and he has over achieved every step of the way

LeBron didn't over achieved. He was supposed to win multiple championships
  • fortyacres
    fortyacres Members, Moderators Posts: 4,479 Regulator
    Options

what have you done ? why not do it yourself if you have a problem with LBJ's method.
  • CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    mannnnnn if u dont ? wit BronBron
    then fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck uuuuuuuuu!!!
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Even better that it's part of the public school system so more kids will have access and not just some tax write off charter school

This.. but i wonder if this school is equipped to deal with children with IEP's has an abundance of guidance counselors.. Smart of him to not go the charter route those fundamental programs are important in helping the development of young kids into their next phase of school