Where does Kendrick rank all time? Whats his ceiling? Is he as good as Biggie?

Options

Comments

• The Recipe
    The Recipe Members Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I wonder how old some of the people in here are. I was speaking to a 17 year old he said he's never heard a jay z album and jay z is to preachy his very next words was Kendrick is the best.

Im in my 30's, Favorite rappers in chronological order growing up where Ice Cube, 2 Pac, Bone Thugs, Mystikal, DMX, The Lox, Jay Z, Lil Wayne, Nas.
  • Midwest_Journalist
    Midwest_Journalist Members Posts: 321 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    In my opinion, Kendrick is better than B.I.G. I've already stated this on another thread.

1. 2Pac
    2. Nas
    3. Kendrick

... if he stays on track, I think I'll have to bump down Nas to 3.
  • The Recipe
    The Recipe Members Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    In my opinion, Kendrick is better than B.I.G. I've already stated this on another thread.

1. 2Pac
    2. Nas
    3. Kendrick

If he keeps it up he will be in the same Convo as Nasir, but he aint bumping ? Son nowhere. Nas is still dropping quality music in his 23rd year. I was a Tupac stan as a youngin but he aint better than Nas either.
  • power_wisdom
    power_wisdom Members Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    qawshun wrote: »
    Its been time to stop comparing these dudes to nas big jay and Pac. Those dudes had real comp, not just with each other but the greats before them not to mention all the others on top of their pen game. Like the wu, outkast, naughty, Redman, cube etc Kendrick comp it's what ross ,Cole ,big Sean and drake and he's a pop star so its really only 3 people to compete with. Ross doesn't cruise in Kendrick lane so that drops it down to Cole and big Sean. Its a different league now. He can't be compared to the golden era class imo imo

What about Wale!!!! What about Waleeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!
  • Midwest_Journalist
    Midwest_Journalist Members Posts: 321 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The Recipe wrote: »

1. 2Pac
    2. Nas
    3. Kendrick

If he keeps it up he will be in the same Convo as Nasir, but he aint bumping ? Son nowhere. Nas is still dropping quality music in his 23rd year. I was a Tupac stan as a youngin but he aint better than Nas either.

We'll see what the future holds. But it's possible.

"Life is true to form; records are meant to be broken." - Mark Spitz
  • R2_163
    R2_163 Members Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Options
    An album has to have longevity to be considered a classic. gkmc is a legit classic imo. If it's not it's his closest one.

it's the only album of his i can see myself still bumping 5 years from now.

i stopped putting tpab in rotation two months in.

Gkmc>=Section 80>>>>>>>>>>Damn>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>tpab

to stay on topic:
    after it's all said and done kdot is gonna be top 10 nothing more than that. I bet money he's gonna put out a dud album before 2023 and ? are gonna slow down on this top 3 goat ? . it's happens to everyone
  • sapp08_2001
    sapp08_2001 Members Posts: 7,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Top 5 in this era
  • Ghostdenithegawd
    Ghostdenithegawd Members Posts: 16,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't think he's even close to being a better rapper than big if you want to say his catalog of music is better go ahead and debate but straight up rapping I think big is still far better
  • Ghostdenithegawd
    Ghostdenithegawd Members Posts: 16,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Like Kendrick uses a lot for effeccs to sound like he does where as big rhymes came off like silk no help needed
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Guys come on how can Kendrick be around Nas and Jay and BIG we can't rap as well as any of them?

He makes good music and I kno' it's a lot harder to differentiate good music from good raps these days but come on
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Guys come on how can Kendrick be around Nas and Jay and BIG we can't rap as well as any of them?

He makes good music and I kno' it's a lot harder to differentiate good music from good raps these days but come on

This is a great point. I'm 6-7 tracks in and I am not impressed at all. What I'm hearing isn't bad music. But the Mcing is crazy average.

• Kwan Dai
    Options
    The wild >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
  • power_wisdom
    Options
    The only one on the list K dot can out rap is Pac. But Kendrick is a dope mc. He is lyrical, has content and creativity and can tell a story plus make great songs and albums. But he is not seeing Big. The only thing Kendrick has over Big is how he rapped about a variety a different topics. Everything else Big is better in. Ready to Die is the prototype to GKMC.
  • Listencloser
    Listencloser Members Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The only one on the list K dot can out rap is Pac. But Kendrick is a dope mc. He is lyrical, has content and creativity and can tell a story plus make great songs and albums. But he is not seeing Big. The only thing Kendrick has over Big is how he rapped about a variety a different topics. Everything else Big is better in. Ready to Die is the prototype to GKMC.

Shame on you for spewing that Pac wasn't a great wordsmith new ? ? .
  • power_wisdom
    Options

Pac wasn't no where as lyrical as Nas, Big or Jay. Kendrick is more lyrical than Pac too. Lyrical Pac was decent, but that wasn't his strong point. No one I know ever put Pac up there as best lyricist. Pac was known for his versatility when it came to content.
  • Listencloser
    edited April 2017
    Options

Pac wasn't no where as lyrical as Nas, Big or Jay. Kendrick is more lyrical than Pac too. Lyrical Pac was decent, but that wasn't his strong point. No one I know ever put Pac up there as best lyricist. Pac was known for his versatility when it came to content.

That's a ? lie. Pac used literary devices masterfully to evoke emotional impact with his lyricism. Dude was spitting complicated rhyme schemes while maintaining cohesive themes. Just because he wasn't NY sharp with his metaphors don't confuse it with weak lyricism.

• Kwan Dai
    Options

That's a ? lie. Pac used literary devices masterfully to evoke emotional impact with his lyricism. Dude was spitting complicated rhyme schemes while maintaining cohesive themes. Just because he wasn't NY sharp with his metaphors don't confuse it with weak lyricism.

I think the ? means in comparison too.

Pac is like Chuck D, or Paris to me. He's not lyrical in the Classic context. Like say Planet Asia, Xhibit or Ras Kass.
  • Listencloser
    Options
    "Now I'm lost in the weary, so many tears
    I'm suicidal so don't stand near me."

He ends that bar on the internal rhyme with a pregnant pause to set up the next bar

"Every move is a calculated step, to bring me closer
    to embracing early death, till ain't nothing left."

That's stanza structure Shakespeare would be envious even of.
  • Listencloser
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I swear, we got to make a thread every 5 years to disprove this revisionist notion that Pac wasn't a top wordsmith. When's the last time you heard a group of people just break out and recite a whole Kendrick verse acapello? Try that with a classic Pac verse and I bet ? will join in.
  • power_wisdom
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Kwan Dai wrote: »

I think the ? means in comparison too.

Pac is like Chuck D, or Paris to me. He's not lyrical in the Classic context. Like say Planet Asia, Xhibit or Ras Kass.

He knows what I mean. A rapper is not necessarily a Mc. A Mc is not necessarily a lyricist. Pac wasn't a lyricist. Sorry if you can't handle that. A lyricist was someone who raps and specialized in complex bars. Witty punchline, metaphors, double entendre, multi word syllable structure etc . Pac was a great Mc. But he wasn't a good lyricist. Kurupt who was on Death Row was a great lyricist. Pac got better before he died. But in the 90s he was far from a Superior wordsmith.
  • power_wisdom
    Options
    I swear, we got to make a thread every 5 years to disprove this revisionist notion that Pac wasn't a top wordsmith. When's the last time you heard a group of people just break out and recite a whole Kendrick verse acapello? Try that with a classic Pac verse and I bet ? will join in.

? from the 90s can sing a Fresh Prince song word for word. Same with EPMD. Because they weren't lyricist. Or at least good lyricist. People should have a hard time singing a lyricist song, because it's complexity. And if you have something played on the radio 50 billion times, it makes it a lot easier to recite too.
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

He ends that bar on the internal rhyme with a pregnant pause to set up the next bar

So Many Tears is a masterpiece. But let's be honest with each other, Pac has a lot of songs where he rhymes Hennessy with Enemy and Penitentiary
  • IceBergTaylor
    IceBergTaylor Members Posts: 19,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lol Kendrick is an above average lyricist he's never seeing Hov & Nas let alone BIG
  • Listencloser
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »

So Many Tears is a masterpiece. But let's be honest with each other, Pac has a lot of songs where he rhymes Hennessy with Enemy and Penitentiary

14 times according to Genius.
  • Listencloser
    Options
    The Recipe wrote: »

1. 2Pac
    2. Nas
    3. Kendrick

Pac was my favorite rapper until It Was Written.