Black Twitter Is Upset Over Controversial Shea Moisture Ad

Options
5th Letter
5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator

Comments

• 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    They're upset because the company who's gotten support from black women for years have decided to start catering their products to white women. Hence the white women in the commercial.
  • Madame_CJSkywalker
    Madame_CJSkywalker Members Posts: 940 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Olorun22 wrote: »
    Are you going to explain why? Or are we going to play the guess game....

i'm guessing its the prominence of models who don't look like their largest consumer base

that said...as long as they don't change the formula of the products, i'm good

already hard enough finding products for my hair that are fairly accessible =I don't have to but online/go to some Korean owned beauty supply store
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Black people just want to get mad about everything these days huh? Is shea owned by black people?
  • 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Options
    5th Letter wrote: »
    They're upset because the company who's gotten support from black women for years have decided to start catering their products to white women. Hence the white women in the commercial.

Ah.. I assumed it was because the Black woman seemed to hate her hair, while the White woman seemed to just have too many options of what to do with it.

In the other case, of course a company is going to try to market shea butter (or moisture?) to other races - even if that ? don't work. They just care about the money.
  •   Colin$mackabi$h
    Colin$mackabi$h Members Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Has anyone checked on the condition of the black twitter councilwomen yet?..

ARE THEY OK???!
  • Valentinez A. Kaiser
    Valentinez A. Kaiser Members Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    And when you get on, he'll leave yo' ass for a white girl
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I didn't have a problem with it but I thought it was odd they used 3 white women to 1 black woman.

They've made it clear their products are for ALL hair types tho so sooner or later white ppl were gonna start using it.
  • atribecalledgabi
    Options
    Black twitter is not upset. Just vocal. I'm sure there would be opinions if the face of 360 style or whatever ? y'all wear to do waves was a white guy. People are dragging Shea Moisture because they see the writing on the wall and this conversation with them has been had before. People need to understand that folks are leaving Shea Moisture in favor of other BLACK OWNED hair care lines that don't alienate their base. More power to em!

@obnoxiouslyfresh like who? I only know about Carol's daughter and aunt Jackie's.
  • obnoxiouslyfresh
    obnoxiouslyfresh Members Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Black twitter is not upset. Just vocal. I'm sure there would be opinions if the face of 360 style or whatever ? y'all wear to do waves was a white guy. People are dragging Shea Moisture because they see the writing on the wall and this conversation with them has been had before. People need to understand that folks are leaving Shea Moisture in favor of other BLACK OWNED hair care lines that don't alienate their base. More power to em!

@obnoxiouslyfresh like who? I only know about Carol's daughter and aunt Jackie's.

I use "As I Am"
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    More crying for nothing by us I see.
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

According to black feminists waves come from white people
  • atribecalledgabi
    Options

I use "As I Am"

I heard they aint black owned?
  • Trillfate
    Trillfate Members Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Options
    5th Letter wrote: »
    Their marketing team aint bullshittin.. the imagery is intentional from starting with the mixed girl talking, to 2 types of white girl, blonde and redhead.. then at the end it said "Everybody gets love"..

The takeover is real lol
  • Qiv_Owan
    Qiv_Owan Members Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Cuz black people already know whats up

Let them white folks feel "black" so we can get that cac money

White people see this ? in stores and be like "oh this is for ? skin and ? hair"...show their soulless people cosigning it and thats how millionaires are made

• VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Options

I use "As I Am"

You have got to be kidding me! They lied to me???

White people get paid from everything. Let me ask you a question. Who owns the store you buy your products from? Who get the tax money from those products?
  • obnoxiouslyfresh
    obnoxiouslyfresh Members Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I use "As I Am"

You have got to be kidding me! They lied to me???

White people get paid from everything. Let me ask you a question. Who owns the store you buy your products crom? Who get yhe tax money from those products?

Well of course I end up lining white peoples pockets somehow but I still try to make an effort to buy hair products that are FOR US. Not companies that are rebranding to exclude us. Shea moisture will not get even a whiff of the coppery scent of a penny from me. And they're fools because black women comprise a considerable share of the hair market and they have utterly alienated that demographic.