Has Kendrick Lamar lowkey surpassed Drake in hip hop stardom?

Options

Comments

• Listencloser
    Listencloser Members Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Options
    No
    Naw he was Fabolous status. Plenty rappers went platinum but only the commercial big dogs went trip or quad.
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    No
    Naw he was Fabolous status. Plenty rappers went platinum but only the commercial big dogs went trip or quad.

Songs like bring em out, what you know, whatever you like, big things poppin, and live your life AND dead and gone are all hits. Fabulous wish he could had a run like TI.
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sion wrote: »
    No one could have predicted Jay-Z of all rappers would be where he is today at the forefront of rap music and popular culture. I don't understand why that's so hard to comprehend.

Just admit you're wrong dog, so when

Big pimpin
    Can I get a
    I just wanna love you
    Hard knock life
    Jigga my ?
    Girls best friend
    Anything
    Hey Papi
    Guilty until proven innocent
    Is that your ?
    Hard knock life
    ? what ? who

And multiple features (holla holla, minute man, best of me, heartbreaker) and I know I'm missing some but nobody could see him at the forefront in that time frame? Really?
  • Revolver Ocelot
    Revolver Ocelot Members Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Options
    No

TI went plat or double plat 5 straight albums with 16 top 20 Rap hits(10 of which were top 5 ) from said albums.

Dawg, he was up there.
  • gns
    gns Members Posts: 21,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The ? TI was going gold in a week consistently but he wasnt up there, wow
  • grYmes
    grYmes Members Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

TI during that '06-'09 period was one of if not the biggest rapper. Especially when Papertrail dropped. He's gone multi plat. You comparing his career to Fab? ? outta here...

• robblr86
    robblr86 Members Posts: 405 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Options
    No
    From an international standpoint, Drake is the clear winner by far. He will go down as one of the most commercially successful artists of all time. From a cultural standpoint, however, Kendrick hands down. We as a people (generation) need Kendrick.

But it's not surprising that you would hear Migos or Future overseas over Kendrick due to the commercial appeal.
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Options
    .Naw he was Fabolous status Plenty rappers went platinum but only the commercial big dogs went trip or quad.

6moez4hnqnh2.gif
  • Agrv2385
    Agrv2385 Members Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Options
    x had 97-99 on lock. Yall forget x was killing guest appearances for awhile before his album dropped so people were hungry for his ? . I remember he had that mixtape with Canibus that ? was fire. He brought hiphop out of the puffy shiny suit era, people was tired of that ? at the time. It wasnt until Hard Knock Life Jay started to get commercial appeal, and then big pimpin put him over the top. But X was def more popular then Jay for a period of time. Its Dark - And then there were X went multi plat in basically no time. But yall are right around the great depression time people started heading more towards Jay's music.
  • victory_kid
    victory_kid Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No
    If we talking on a national scale... sure, give it to Kendrick. American internet users don't like Drake lol.

But Drake is global... international... however you wanna put it.
  • just.might.b.ok
    just.might.b.ok Members Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes
    Kendrick will always get more respect for not having ghostwriters, drake is cool for the kids and women.
  • Revolver Ocelot
    Options
    No
    Agrv2385 wrote: »
    x had 97-99 on lock. Yall forget x was killing guest appearances for awhile before his album dropped so people were hungry for his ? . I remember he had that mixtape with Canibus that ? was fire. He brought hiphop out of the puffy shiny suit era, people was tired of that ? at the time. It wasnt until Hard Knock Life Jay started to get commercial appeal, and then big pimpin put him over the top. But X was def more popular then Jay for a period of time. Its Dark - And then there were X went multi plat in basically no time. But yall are right around the great depression time people started heading more towards Jay's music.

Vol. 1,2, and 3 ALL went multi platinum w/ 12 top 20 hits off those albums during the same 97-99 time frame.
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No
    aneed123 wrote: »
    The 2 shouldn't be compared at this point. Both have different ambitions. Kendrick wants to be the best rapper, Drake wants to be the best entertainer. Drake about that bag, Kendrick about the integrity.

Kendrick Lamar isn't as big as Drake in terms of stardom but that doesn't mean he can't surpass him in the near Future. In 2000/2001 it was farfetched ​to believe Jay-Z could surpass DMX and today look at how their careers stack up to one another. ? it's possible Wale could come out the woodworks and surpass everyone and one day become the GOAT rapper. I mean it's not like anyone saw Pac coming amongst the Snoops, LLs, Wu-Tang, Ice Cubes, Ice T, Hammer, Heavy Ds, Scarfaces, or Busta Rhymes of the time..... No way in hell could anyone have predicted that the dancer from Digital Underground would become "2Pac" as we came to know him...

Slim I swear you be having the most revisionist history on this ? .

Jay at worst was on the same level as X back then.

TF you be coming up with this ? .

Stop it ? , I remember that era clear as day. X was multi platinum off 2 albums in one year and sold like 12 million records in the span of the same year. Then the year after did like 8 million. No doubt Jay was dope but Hov was NOT the Hov we look at and praise now in 99/2000. Jay just got his first major album and became a household name. X was already there 98/99.

Hell if you said in 96 even that Jay would be hailed the GOAT in the same tier as Big, Pac, Heavy D, Wu-Tang, NaS etc. ? would have laughed at you. It's not always easy to tell. I remember when DMX was supposed to be the next Pac and end up being bigger than him. And look at X today.

I guess the 18 million records Jay sold worldwide over the same time period ain't ? .

yeah-right-face.jpg

Log off b.

He right tho. X was hotter at that time and Jay was a after thought in 96....

Guess that Sion-itis is spreading.

X was hotter than Jay in 96 even tho no one even heard of him til 54321 or Money,Power, Respect both of which was released AFTER 96.

X was hotter than Jay in 96 even tho Jay had 2 hits in Ain't No ? and Can't Knock the Hustle and a Gold selling single in Dead Presidents.

X was hotter than Jay in 96 even tho Jay dropped Reasonable Doubt that got critical praise, went Gold, and had features from to of the biggest artist in there respective genre ( Mary J & Big ) at the time. While X wouldn't release his album for damn near 2 ? YEARS.

Folks wanna criticize white Em fans for being part-time hip hop fans and not knowing anything about hip hop...... then ? type this ? . SMH

aint no sionitis ? its called I was alive and experincing it itis.... Dmx was hotter thanJ in 98 and 99... u can try and explain it away all u want but its the truth.... 2 plat albums in a year.. belly... Jay was hot too with the Hard KnockLife sample but X was hotter. I remember being in basic training in 99 they made cadences for us to march too off of flesh of my flesh blood of my blood.. also I said pac nas and big were hotter than j in 96... thats why j cried once he became the man that reasonable doubt was a classic cuz it didnt have that same acclaim in that era
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No
    No one could have predicted Jay-Z of all rappers would be where he is today at the forefront of rap music and popular culture. I don't understand why that's so hard to comprehend.

Jay has pretty much been at the forefront of rap music and popular culture since Vol. 2 dropped. Has he shared that spotlight through out years with others (X,Ja,Em,Nelly,TI,50,Kanye,Kast,Wayne,or Drake)? Absolutely, but you acting like Jay was just in the background and an afterthought til 03/04 which is ? .

? no... the bolded is for New Yorkers and east coast head... In the rest of the world he didnt become that til Blueprint in 01
  • Listencloser
    Listencloser Members Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Options
    No
    aneed123 wrote: »

Jay has pretty much been at the forefront of rap music and popular culture since Vol. 2 dropped. Has he shared that spotlight through out years with others (X,Ja,Em,Nelly,TI,50,Kanye,Kast,Wayne,or Drake)? Absolutely, but you acting like Jay was just in the background and an afterthought til 03/04 which is ? .

? no... the bolded is for New Yorkers and east coast head... In the rest of the world he didnt become that til Blueprint in 01

Yeah Vol 2 did 6 million in NY. FOH

Yall got me cheerleading for Jay Z and I don't even think dude is great. If we are talking about quality IDAHIH is better than anything Jay has put out including RD. But popularity was almost dead ? even. ? is like comparing Cole to Kenny.
  • Jonah 2.0
    Jonah 2.0 Members Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I wasn't even a Jay fan in 98 and I bought both DMX albums that year. With that said, Jay was just as big as DMX. I was hating, sad to admit, because I didn't understand how anyone thought he was on the same level as DMX(same silly isht that goes on in here daily).
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The 2 shouldn't be compared at this point. Both have different ambitions. Kendrick wants to be the best rapper, Drake wants to be the best entertainer. Drake about that bag, Kendrick about the integrity.

Kendrick Lamar isn't as big as Drake in terms of stardom but that doesn't mean he can't surpass him in the near Future. In 2000/2001 it was farfetched ​to believe Jay-Z could surpass DMX and today look at how their careers stack up to one another. ? it's possible Wale could come out the woodworks and surpass everyone and one day become the GOAT rapper. I mean it's not like anyone saw Pac coming amongst the Snoops, LLs, Wu-Tang, Ice Cubes, Ice T, Hammer, Heavy Ds, Scarfaces, or Busta Rhymes of the time..... No way in hell could anyone have predicted that the dancer from Digital Underground would become "2Pac" as we came to know him...

Y'all getting WAY off topic, no one is saying Jay was bigger than X in 98, but in 2000/01 to say it was far fetched when Jay was a beast on the charts as well is flat out wrong, he was 2nd to X from 98 to 2000 but by 2000 the tide started shifting towards Jay and by Blueprint it was a wrap, he was the king until he woke a sleeping beast
  • Revolver Ocelot
    Options
    No
    @Revolver Ocelot how old are you fam ? If you was born after 1990 I can't take your opinion seriously on this matter no diss. I remember Jay's rise and was fortunate enough to have experienced all of it. There's no ? way out of Big Pun, Busta Rhymes, ATCQ, Method Man, Wu-Tang, Snoop, Cube, LL, Pac, Big, X, NaS and Shady, etc could you say Jay-Z would become the GOAT rapper alive. No ? way, definitely not over LL Cool J in 97-98. IDGAF how much of a stan you are. There's no way. Unless you was born in the mid 90s by the time you were a teenager​ Jay was already retiring off the black album.

And reasonable doubt was not a classic when it dropped or critically acclaimed it came out to mixed reviews. I used to have that issue of the source. It wasn't​ until 2001ish that ? started reviewing it again. Bet you ain't know Jay and Dame had ? storm the Source to get higher reviews on RD and that Benzino had issues with Jay at one point.

2z9fcpx.jpg

Good thing I was born in 1985 and remember this era.

Like homie said early just take this L and keep it moving.
  • Go figure
    Go figure Guests, Members, Confirm Email, Writer Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Options