Lupe Tells Crowd He Made Drogas Trash On Purpose

Options
blackrain
blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
On February 10, Lupe Fiasco released his sixth full-length album, DROGAS Light, which moved just north of 14k first-week copies. During a recent show in Seattle, Washington, the Chicago rapper took five minutes out of his show to speak to the crowd about the quality of the material on that album, which was largely panned by critics.
"DROGAS Light was a compilation of old ass songs we just had laying around," Lupe revealed.Whereas most artists would never want their "old ass songs" to ever see the light of day, Lupe's decision to patch together 14 leftover tracks was part of a strategy he concocted on the fly to screw his former label home Atlantic Records.

Although Lupe announced that he was no longer signed to Atlantic following the release of 2015's Tetsuo & Youth, the 35-year-old emcee was "officially, unofficially" obligated to release one more project (DROGAS Light) to fulfill the terms of his original recording contract.

Unfortunately, Lupe was more concerned with giving the industry machine the middle finger than delivering quality music for his fans.

"Around Lasers, I knew there was going to be some ? . So, I was like, you know what? I will never, ever, ever, as long as I'm on this label, give this label my heart. What I truly believe and what I really feel. Cause I feel like when you work for somebody, they have to show you some love back; show that they deserve your worth. So, since Lasers, I've never really put my all into a project because I feel like Atlantic doesn't deserve it. So I took an L."

Comments