Miley Cyrus doesn't listen to hip hop anymore because it's "misogynistic"

Options

Comments

• jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options
    The Hue wrote: »
    Hip Hop misogynistic?! Cole had a song called Foldin Clothes on his last album! Common's The Light is a classic hip hop song. There's hundreds of hip hop songs lifting women up.

But three times as many calling them ? , ? , saying they can't be trusted, praising ? , actual drugging of women for sex and general hate towards women.

Let's not abandon the facts here. That ? has created a culture where ? are applauded for NOT calling women ? and hoes on records. Shouldn't that be the standard?

Calling women hoes and ? should be the aberration. That ? has been normalized. Its not hip-hop's fault but its ignorant to say it ain't the majority of the ? being released now.

You also can't compare to any other artform because no other arform shows such disdain for women.

Since the late 80s ? been called suckas and simps for addressing women respectfully or for making actual romantic love songs.

It is what it is. I helped the ? along. I bought and still play some disrespectful ass music but I recognize it for what it is
  • The Hue
    The Hue Members Posts: 760 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    Hip Hop misogynistic?! Cole had a song called Foldin Clothes on his last album! Common's The Light is a classic hip hop song. There's hundreds of hip hop songs lifting women up.

But three times as many calling them ? , ? , saying they can't be trusted, praising ? , actual drugging of women for sex and general hate towards women.

Let's not abandon the facts here. That ? has created a culture where ? are applauded for NOT calling women ? and hoes on records. Shouldn't that be the standard?

Calling women hoes and ? should be the aberration. That ? has been normalized. Its not hip-hop's fault but its ignorant to say it ain't the majority of the ? being released now.

You also can't compare to any other artform because no other arform shows such disdain for women.

Since the late 80s ? been called suckas and simps for addressing women respectfully or for making actual romantic love songs.

It is what it is. I helped the ? along. I bought and still play some disrespectful ass music but I recognize it for what it is

Ma ? how the ? do you know this?! Do you listen to a lot of rock? Country?
  • Undefeatable
    Undefeatable Members Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Trillfate wrote: »
    Shizlansky wrote: »
    Like Water wrote: »
    LUClEN wrote: »
    As others are saying, she used the culture.

But hip hop, on a whole, is misogynistic.
    She lost fans when she went crazy.

But she back to being Hanna Montana.

P.S. Hip Hop is misogynistic

Oh cut the ? . Music is misogynistic. There is no genre that is not misogynistic to some extent. Fact of the matter is that these art forms are just extensions of ourselves, and will reflect that. Not every song, every artist is the same, though.

I don't see her bashing rock for it's depiction of women or classical for the complete absence of women.

I call super ? on the bolded

Well, your call would be "super wrong". Music is a reflection of the times, society and the people. It's not a difficult concept to understand and there's nothing to debate, so you may as well let sleeping dogs lie.

So ? out here murking every ? , ? all the ? and popping every pill known to man?

Rap, to must ppl is an extensions of what they see themselves as but that's not they are at all. Fantasy.

Stop stereotyping an entire genre. Common, for example, doesn't rap about any of that. Listen to Common.. or the hundreds of artists like him. The Mainstream does not define hip hop music

FOH with this bs.

If someone says that on a whole hip hop is misogynistic, a few examples of artists and songs who are not does not prove that they are not right.

Some white folks are alright. Does that prove that it is false that most whites are racist to some extent or another? No.

This line of argument is actually ridiculous. To say that hip hop is on the whole misogynistic is not to say that all artists or all songs are misogynistic. This should not have to be said.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Ma ? how the ? do you know this?! Do you listen to a lot of rock? Country?

Feel free to post up some country and rock songs that are as demeaning as rap songs.
  • ThaNubianGod
    ThaNubianGod Members Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    On can think Hip Hop IS misogynistic AND also that Miley is being hypocritical as ? .

Hip Hop "culture" really hasn't been worth a damn since the late 90's. We've had some nice new artists here and there, but as a people's movement/voice like it once was, that ? died long ago. And yes, dumbed-down southern rap was the prime suspect in the murder.
  • Fosheezy
    Fosheezy Members Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Some of yall agree with her opinion, but fail to realize it's not worth starting a debate over it foreal.
  • konceptjones
    konceptjones Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options

Oh cut the ? . Music is misogynistic. There is no genre that is not misogynistic to some extent. Fact of the matter is that these art forms are just extensions of ourselves, and will reflect that. Not every song, every artist is the same, though.

I don't see her bashing rock for it's depiction of women or classical for the complete absence of women.

Well, your call would be "super wrong". Music is a reflection of the times, society and the people. It's not a difficult concept to understand and there's nothing to debate, so you may as well let sleeping dogs lie.

So ? out here murking every ? , ? all the ? and popping every pill known to man?

Rap, to must ppl is an extensions of what they see themselves as but that's not they are at all. Fantasy.

Stop stereotyping an entire genre. Common, for example, doesn't rap about any of that. Listen to Common.. or the hundreds of artists like him. The Mainstream does not define hip hop music

I do.

Check out what's selling though.

McDonalds sells billions of burgers a year; that's what's selling. Nobody in their right mind would ever call that ? a quality product. Meanwhile places like In and Out, Five Guys, Fudruckers, and the like exist where you can get actually good food.

Meaning that you didn't have to consume ? just 'cause everybody else is. You have the option to consume a quality product instead of some garbage but the decision to do so is squarely on you. Just because something sells a lot doesn't make it any good... It just means it's cheap and accessible. Radio hip hop is just that; Cheap and accessible.
  • konceptjones
    Options

It was always like that. You always had cats callin chicks ? and hoes just like you always had cats callin 'em queen and lifting their name up. It's been like that since the 80's.
  • KingFreeman
    KingFreeman Members Posts: 13,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    She's a robot

Clone.
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I do.

McDonalds sells billions of burgers a year; that's what's selling. Nobody in their right mind would ever call that ? a quality product. Meanwhile places like In and Out, Five Guys, Fudruckers, and the like exist where you can get actually good food.

Meaning that you didn't have to consume ? just 'cause everybody else is. You have the option to consume a quality product instead of some garbage but the decision to do so is squarely on you. Just because something sells a lot doesn't make it any good... It just means it's cheap and accessible. Radio hip hop is just that; Cheap and accessible.

The bolded is the problem. It's literally what rap mostly is. Garbage.

And that the problem. Ppl put out music at a extremely high right and it's nothing but negative ? .

Migos and Futrue sold records and all over the charts and radio with ignorant ? . And that type of music is like 80% of rap culture

This rap culture is not black culture and you would be a fool to take it as representation of us.
  • Shizlansky
    Options
    I'm legit mad that ppl think what she was doing is black culture
  • numbaz...80's baby
    numbaz...80's baby Members Posts: 5,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hoe logic, nothing to see here.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm legit mad that ppl think what she was doing is black culture

well unfortunately people black people think that certain ish is a pillar of black culture.. word to twerking for homage at the sistas in the motherland
  • Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Couple of things:

1) If you're upset about Hannah Montana flippin on y'all, then ? you from the jump for letting her culture vulture her way in way back when. Y'all should smelled ? the first time her 10-year-old boy having ass starting vibrating.

2) If you're complaining that hip-hop is misogynistic now, then your tastes are ? , and you need to branch out. Go listen to "Life Is Good", "All Amerikkkan Badass", or damn near anything Lupe or Common-related, then come back.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    America is misogynistic... she gonna stop living there? No. So her criticism is meaningless. She doesn't hate misogyny because if she did she would be renouncing a lot of other stuff. This was about her changing her image. Point blank period.

Unfortunately its the world over but otherwise spot on
  • rickmogul
    rickmogul Members Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Typical. Jerry Lee Lewis, Elvis, Big Bopper, Pink all of em use our culture then bounce. And? If it's truly ? em ( My Mantra) then she's doing what racists CAC's do. Who on here bought her ? ? My point exactly. Keep pushing.
  • Kat
    Kat Members Posts: 50,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Will Munny wrote: »
    She tryna get back into country.

Exactly. I called it years ago. She country, her family is country..I knew her lil schtick would be fleeting.
  • goldenja
    goldenja Members Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I wouldn't be surprised if her father (Billy Ray Cyrus) gave her the blueprint to everything she's done
  • konceptjones
    Options

I do.

The bolded is the problem. It's literally what rap mostly is. Garbage.

And that the problem. Ppl put out music at a extremely high right and it's nothing but negative ? .

Migos and Futrue sold records and all over the charts and radio with ignorant ? . And that type of music is like 80% of rap culture

This rap culture is not black culture and you would be a fool to take it as representation of us.

no, that type of music is 80% of what you hear on the radio. The ? you don't hear on the radio represents a far more positive vibe and is a far larger percentage of hip hop output. You have a handful of artists these days that make it to radio and they're on that ? . For every Future there's prolly 20-30 Common's and those cats will never get that airplay.

Little Brother had a dope ass 4 album run but only ONE song of theirs got any type of notable airplay ("Lovin' It") and even then it wasn't in that prime-time play slot.

Common has dropped a grip of albums in recent years but not na'an single hit the airwaves since the joint with Lily Allen in 07.

Talib Kweli hasn't had a single in rotation since... what... '04? But dude got albums out the ass.

Cats like Murs, Mr Lif, Red Pill, Verbal Kent, Matlock, Cannibal Ox, Run The Jewels, MF Doom... A long ass list of cats with dope ass output but between them all you might be able to find maybe ONE song that ever got even minor rotation.

The problem is that you're basing "hip hop culture" on radio play and that just ain't reality.
  • Shizlansky
    Options
    For all those dudes just names it's 1000 more Futures.

When you gon understand bruh. Damn
  • whatevathehell
    whatevathehell Members Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    why do yall care about white people(esp women) opinions so much when it comes to this hiphop ? . Ive never taken this ? seriously esp after seeing her nudes. a 100 post thread off this ? ..
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    AggieLean. wrote: »
    Got what she needed outta the culture then tossed it to the side. Got to stop allowing these folk to vulture, especially when it's obvious what their intentions are.

Only thing is though Miley was widely clowned and ? on for what she was doing. This was a case of her team trying to force that image on people and it failed and got her nothing but being ridiculed. Anytime she stepped out there would be 50 think pieces about how what she was doing especially when it came to black women and how much of a problem it was. The ? wasn't as successful for her as you'd think.
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options

Nobody is denying that part of hip hop exists...but that's not the only thing nor does it define all of it. The 2 arguably biggest artist in rap right now are Kendrick and Cole. Neither of them fit the mold being used here. Yes the ? like Migos and 21 Savages have their nitch fan bases but if you think those ? are held in as serious high esteem as some of their peers you're being disingenuous. In 20 years won't nobody remember Bad and Boujee...in 20 years ? will remember Kendrick and Cole