What will it take to get a legitimate 3rd party candidate to the White House?

Options
Mister B.
Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
As most of us know, the last election producing arguably the two worst presidential candidates in US history. So, instead of succumbing to the notion that we had to vote for one or the other, 2-3% of the voting population chose someone else.

This thread isn't about WHO those people are, rather about why so many people who knew the Democrat and Republican candidates are sub-standard, but chose one of them anyway.

What do you think, mainstream wise, needs to be done before a true third party candidate can emerge in America?

Comments

• fortyacres
    fortyacres Members, Moderators Posts: 4,479 Regulator
    Options
    Take SuperPacs (big) Money out of politics and change the voting system to go by popular vote.
  • AZTG
    AZTG Members Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Having a 3rd party president doesnt do much, but if we had a 3rd party get seats in congress and the senate, that would be nice. Lets say dems get 40%, republicans get 40%, and a third party gets 20% of the votes, now all laws have to really debated and compromises made to get majority vote on anything. Almost every other democracy functions this way. Only America has 2 parties.
  • HundredEyes
    HundredEyes Members Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ww3 or another great war that hits home.
  • Trillfate
    Trillfate Members Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Never gonna happen
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So, adding more ? ? to the mix is now a thing?
  • caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Watch. The next move will be independents. No affiliation. Why will that work? Well if the person is truly independent they will have friends on both sides. They will be able to stick them to just one party and run ads saying he will vote this way or that way.

It is working for local and Congressional races.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    3rd party candidates are failed.. reps or dems who couldnt hack it on the big stage.. no one comes out of the ? 3rd party. We just need to collectively apply pressure for the things we want .. and not on a 4 year basis.. elect them hold them accountable..
  • SuperSoaker
    SuperSoaker Members Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think if there was a legitimate third party candidiate, the election system would be even more dangerous. It could only work if more people were engaged in politics (which actually seems possible with the rise of Trump) and people have to be more educated (not something I see happening).

Look at the current system. Trump won like 46% of the vote but it was of about 50% of people in the US who could actually vote. So approximately 23% of the country picked who the ? is going to lead us (even if Clinton won same problem). So the current form is bad but Now peep the scenario if you broke it down three ways and the vote went like 37, 34, 29. Let's say the electoral map shakes out so the 34% wins that means seventeen percent of people are picking who the ? runs the country, their vision of America will most likely be extreme to the other 66%. I think it's best to have two parties who really put the best candidate possible up.

Just because there's more choices doesn't necessarily mean there's better choices. Look at trumps rise through the Republican Party. It was partly caused by there being so many options. Do you think Trump could really talk policy with a Rand Paul, Ted Cruz, or any of the other guys? Hell no. But when's there's fifteen people on a debate stage getting a one minute response who do you think will stand out? The loud mouth morherfucking spewing generalities.

Only way a third party makes sense is if it's a grassroots party that wins seats in the House and Senate.
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    3rd party candidates are failed.. reps or dems who couldnt hack it on the big stage.. no one comes out of the ? 3rd party. We just need to collectively apply pressure for the things we want .. and not on a 4 year basis.. elect them hold them accountable..

For older politicians you could possibly make a case for that being true.
  • NoCompetition
    NoCompetition Members Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Mister B. wrote: »
    As most of us know, the last election producing arguably the two worst presidential candidates in US history. So, instead of succumbing to the notion that we had to vote for one or the other, 2-3% of the voting population chose someone else.

This thread isn't about WHO those people are, rather about why so many people who knew the Democrat and Republican candidates are sub-standard, but chose one of them anyway.

What do you think, mainstream wise, needs to be done before a true third party candidate can emerge in America?

I honestly didnt see what was so bad about Hillary. I mean honestly Im not talking vague talking pointsand all that. She had flaws and things I didnt agree about, but substantively it was a pretty easy choice. There was a decades long smear campaign against her which really intensified leading up to her having a legitimate shot at the Presidency. So? "crooked" "Goldman Sachs" (as if Trump wasnt involved with this type of thing probably even more haha) "corrupt" ok and not saying she was completely innocent but really people didnt have much behind these accusations. Not enough to throw out common sense for me. Also she was secretary of state and former first lady. This isnt a game or opposite world last time I checked. People who actually preferred Trump are one thing but people who preferred Hillary but got so easily disuaded and manipulated into aiding Trump's election are another. People cant tell obvious misinformation and smear campaigns and see through that kind of thing?
    But that aside, good question and I dont have the answer because it looks like its generally between the 2 parties. Which means get involved at selecting at all levels is probably the best option. Choose the preferred candidate and dont expect perfection but potential and reality.
  • farris2k1
    farris2k1 Members Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Sandinista
    Sandinista Members Posts: 466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think we're getting closer and closer to it happening: the two parties are being torn both by the opposing "camps" in the Party.

The Republican Party has a Religious Wing who is socially conservative and economically mixed (sometimes conservative, sometimes liberal) and a Libertarian Wing who is socially liberal and economically conservative.

Those two wings are finding it harder and harder to deal with each other and I think there's gonna be a time when a single candidate just can't please both of them.

Also, "outsider" candidates who command a great deal of popularity could potentially buck the system. It almost happened last summer. If Trump would've been denied the Republican nomination I'm 1000% sure he would've run as an independent.
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think we are in the brink of a new political movement but it's going to take a few more years to make party shifts.

Sanders, Warren, Yates etc are all big reasons for new wave of politics. Gonna take more of those types of people to get more ? rolling.

• WYRM
    WYRM Members Posts: 993 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Candidates that can be taken seriously by those outside their respective third parties.
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    obviously, the answer is "people being less stupid"

more seriously, you need third-party candidates succeeding on lower levels politically and building their parties and candidates who reject the major parties because their policy positions don't fit
  • numbaz...80's baby
    numbaz...80's baby Members Posts: 5,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ppl have to stop being sheep. That's impossible
  • Brian B.
    Brian B. Members Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Term limits. Get all these 20, 30, 40 year senators and congressmen outa office so people are forced to look at new blood and new ideas more often.

I say this ? all the time

most folks wouldn't want their 80+ yr old grandma behind the wheel of a car, but see no issue w/ 80+ yr olds on the supreme court smh
  • rickmogul
    rickmogul Members Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    NOISOLPXE NA. Read backwards.
  • gdatruth2.0
    gdatruth2.0 Members Posts: 3,581 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don’t see this happening anytime in the near future
    A true 3rd party candidate would not have the funding or infrastructure necessary to make a legit run as President

And overall 3rd party candidates do more harm than good. A 3rd party candidate is a key reason Bush narrowly beat Gore and it was a factor in Trump beating Hillary.

In a perfect world it would be great to have viable 3rd party candidates but that isn’t the world we live in.
  • Plutarch
    Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    fortyacres wrote: »
    Take SuperPacs (big) Money out of politics and change the voting system to go by popular vote.

I agree on the first but disagree on the second. I don't understand this pro-popular vote trend (unless it's merely people being salty about the last election). I don't think the electoral college is perfect, but it does give states better representation. We can't have LA and NY (among a few others) decide our presidents, no?
    AZTG wrote: »
    Having a 3rd party president doesnt do much, but if we had a 3rd party get seats in congress and the senate, that would be nice. Lets say dems get 40%, republicans get 40%, and a third party gets 20% of the votes, now all laws have to really debated and compromises made to get majority vote on anything. Almost every other democracy functions this way. Only America has 2 parties.

I agree. It's crazy, but other countries have as many as a ten parties. I think that's great. Not disagreeing with you, but a 3d party president can get a lot of good done. I believe a president's main power is in foreign policy, and it's about damn time we change our terrible foreign policy. Most domestic issues lie in the realm of Congress and such.
    Trillfate wrote: »
    Never gonna happen

If I'm not mistaken, it's happened a couple of times. Anything that has happened once can happen again. But I do believe it's not likely as of now.
    Kwan Dai wrote: »
    So, adding more ? ? to the mix is now a thing?

Most of anything else is better than most of our Dem. and Rep. leaders.
    caddo man wrote: »
    Watch. The next move will be independents. No affiliation. Why will that work? Well if the person is truly independent they will have friends on both sides. They will be able to stick them to just one party and run ads saying he will vote this way or that way.

It is working for local and Congressional races.

Yes, that's interesting. They say the biggest party in America today and for some time now are the independents collectively.
    Brian B. wrote: »
    Term limits. Get all these 20, 30, 40 year senators and congressmen outa office so people are forced to look at new blood and new ideas more often.

I say this ? all the time

most folks wouldn't want their 80+ yr old grandma behind the wheel of a car, but see no issue w/ 80+ yr olds on the supreme court smh

And you know a lot of those geezers are probably racist, even if they were just a product of their racist times. These are our leaders.
  • Plutarch
    Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    WYRM wrote: »
    Candidates that can be taken seriously by those outside their respective third parties.

But we've had that. Trump and Clinton couldn't be taken seriously, and they're in the two (really one)-party system. It's simply because Americans are stupid voters.
    janklow wrote: »
    obviously, the answer is "people being less stupid"

more seriously, you need third-party candidates succeeding on lower levels politically and building their parties and candidates who reject the major parties because their policy positions don't fit

Exactly. Americans are stupid and/or ignorant; therefore, we have a stupid and/or ignorant America. What will be needed to have a smart America? A well-informed citizenry. We haven't had that for several decades, if at all.
    Ppl have to stop being sheep. That's impossible

Exactly.
  • babelipsss
    babelipsss Members Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The third party candidates of 2016 were no better the the standard two parties.
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    Plutarch wrote: »
    Exactly. Americans are stupid and/or ignorant; therefore, we have a stupid and/or ignorant America. What will be needed to have a smart America? A well-informed citizenry. We haven't had that for several decades, if at all.
    honestly, we need to start by ceasing the "vote no matter how ignorant you are, because it's your DUTY" ? .

• Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options
    The last 3rd party candidate to win was Abraham Lincoln. Hint Hint.

America's always had a 2 party system. Federalist/Anti-Federalist, Democrat/Whig, Democrat/Republican. We don't have a multi-party parliamentary system. Deal with it. I'm tired of people blaming this countries problems on the 2 Party System. ? that.......a corrupt, selfish, delusional, ignorant populace gets the politicians they deserve.

? really think a third party would cure the evil and corruption that lies at the heart of Amerikkka? giphy.gif
    babelipsss wrote: »
    The third party candidates of 2016 were no better the the standard two parties.

Gary Johnson was ? and Jill Stein was a delusional ? . ? wanna deny this, but its true.

The Greens are New Age white hippie nutjobs

The Libertarians are just Diet Republican, go read any article on a Libertarian site about Police Brutality etc, the comments are no different than the same racist ? you see on Yahoo or Breitbart