would mlk jr. been better served if he would of had blacks....

Options
124»

Comments

• D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LLS at some the willful ignoring of the points people making.
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sandinista wrote: »
    Kwan Dai wrote: »
    @Sandinista

I can only shake my head at foreigners that come here with your mentality which supports White Supremacists rhetoric of a "moaning, whining underclass" aka Blacks not knowing their place. I know very little about Brazil's racial and socio-political landscape. But I know a hell of alot about mine being a 5 generation Black American.

What's even more amazing is, my entire posts have been all about BLACKS CONTINUING to take matters into our owns hands by controlling our economics, education, politics and overall right to exist as our culture sees fit. All the while you are against it.

I hope you realize that US whining Blacks are the reason ALL minorities can come this country to live relatively safe lives, take advantage of affirmative action initiatives, and vote. Folks like you make my stomach turn. You don't know American history but will spout of some numbers ( all which can be refuted) as if that tells any part of the story.

I think it's fascinating where you somehow got from my posts that I support "white supremacy". I think it's equally fascinating that me disagreeing with ? returning to segregation is a "white supremacist" talking point.

What kind of topsy-turvy, illogical ass world do you live in where you spout off literally the same ? philosophy actual white supremacists and Nazis spew on Stormfront (separation between races will benefit all) YET I'm the one who is a supporter of "white supremacy". LOL. Imagine me rolling my eyes are your dumbassery.

I also love the Nativist and quasi-racist point you raise up that my foreign origins somehow make me unable to analyze American realities but your "5 generation" racial memory is a better yardstick. Get all the ? out of here. I've lived in the US practically my whole ? life, been called "? " by whites and "? " by blacks and have near gotten my ass whooped by both races because of the ignorant, backwards, regressive, uneducated prejudice present in both races.

And btw, it wasn't the WHINING blacks that made it possible for me to thrive in this country. It was the FIGHTING blacks. The RATIONAL blacks. I didn't see MLK marching for ? MORE Jim Crow. Sorry it didn't work out that way for you. And I would call your downplaying of Latino struggles for Civil Rights in this country as offensive but frankly I don't even think you know enough to be offensive.

Latinos founded the first farm worker union in this country in 1903 which fought for the economic and social rights of ALL farmers. Considering 40% of African Americans were sharecroppers in 1903 that should give you sum perspective of who was fighting for who also. Latinos helped found the IWW in 1905 AND pushed for blacks to be accepted as full members. Groups like LULAC and the Orden Hijos de America were fighting for civil rights in the 1920s, 30 years before Rosa Parks.

Your opinion is wrong, your analysis is simplistic, your prejudices are childish, the science and stats backing your assertions are non-existent and your prejudice and bias against foreigners is just as stomach churning to me.

Peace.

You clearly support white supremacy with your dismissal of historical and current events while accusing Blacks of playing some victim role while refusing to recognize our own internal wrong doings. Blacks have ALWAYS attempted to correct the ills in our community whether they were perpetuated internally or externally. The external attacks have harmed 100xs more than we could ever harm ourselves.

If you are too dense to comprehend that Blacks being in control of our communities and vital resources (segregating) are paramount to us overcoming our internal and external issues it's you who's living in a topsy-turvy world where assimilation is the only solution. We don't have to settle for assimilation. For the 100th time. We can be in control of our communities while intermingling, doing business, and whatever else we want to do in regards to dealing with other races. Blacks segregating isn't based on Supremacy. It's based on being ? excluded because, we don't own or control ? that is significant enough to change our condition as a whole. I am doing extremely well in life. But this doesn't change that too many of us aren't.

You are a foreigner accept it and it's better for you to ? and listen to those who have been here for generations. Your minor encounters don't compare nor are they any greater then any other Black American posting here. I am sure most of us will tell you to man the ? up. That's light weight. I get it you're hurt and bruised so, white people aint that bad. Run with that.

I was clearly being facetious more importantly reading through your ? rhetoric. I don't see anyone advocating for more Jim Crowe. MLK himself died because, he began to speak more to Black empowerment than the lets hold hands while you ? and beat my wife approach. Stop misrepresenting the Great Dr. King.

Latinos? If, you are referring to the UFW it was founded in 1962 not sure where you came up with 1903. Now your implying that Blacks from Spanish speaking countries where freely moving about America. I am not even going to go down this road with you. You are overstating the significance, inclusiveness and impact these organizations had on our country as whole. For you to ? imply that Latinos were at the forefront of civil rights is utter non-sense. When the struggle for civil rights in America began when the first Slave uprisings occurred.
  • Sandinista
    Sandinista Members Posts: 466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I didn’t accuse “Blacks” of playing some victim role. I accused YOU and the neo-segregationists in the IC who think doing exactly what real white supremacists on Stormfront want (separating minorities from whites) is a good thing. Thanks be to the Lord that most blacks would probably give you the side eye for that douchebaggery.

I could even cosign you in regards to some of the economics but you’rebstill wrong. Black business ownership is thriving. Even in the Golden Age of Black Entrepeneurship (1900-1930) there were maybe 40,000 black owned businesses in the United States. Today there are 2.6 MILLION
    Black-owned businesses in the United States. That’s a 34% increase since 2007, by the way.

The fact that I’m a foreigner means ? all. I live here, have lived here my whole life, pay taxes, my wife is American, my children will be American and my fate and future are clearly tied with America’s. So you can shut the ? up with that nativist ? Adolf Kwan. I didn’t suddenly lose my ability to read a situation rationally and
    call ? ? when I crossed the border.

And by the way, you can eat a ? for implying that because I’m not American I somehow “don’t know” and “can’t know” the “struggle” Black Americans have gone through. Brazil is home of the largest African diaspora in the World ? . My ancestors were still slaves in 1888, the last slave population to be set free. My great grandfather was born in a slave plantation in 1886.

Everything Black Americans experienced we experienced too: whippings, ? , forcible conversion to Christianity, imposed colorism
    from slave masters, second class citizenry, illegal mixed race children, lynchings… you’re not ? special or unique. Your struggle is not special or unique. Not even your stupidity is special or unique.

And if you’re keeping count, your downplaying of the struggle of Latinos for civil rights in America means you can eat three ? : the Japanese-Mexican Labor Association (JMLA) was founded in 1903 when 1,200 Mexican and Japanese farm workers organized the first farm worker union in the US. The first of its kind.

Mendez et al vs Westminster School District of Orange County, challenged racial segregation against Mexicans and Mexican-Americans in Orange County, California and was instrumental in repealing many of the segregationist provisions in California that benefit millions of blacks. This was in 1946, 8 years before Brown vs Board of Education.

Hernandez v. Texas in 1954 case established that the protection granted by the 14th Amendment of the U.S. Constitution was not only
    for white and black Americans, but that all racial groups required equal protection. This case questioned the use of Jim Crow laws against other classes of Americans, and determined that Americans of Hispanic, Asian, Middle Eastern, Inuit, Native American, and other nonwhite or black descent should also be treated equally. You’re ? welcome.

Regarding slave revolts, Afro-Brazilians were fighting against slave owners hundreds of years before Nat Turner was even a glimmer in his
    daddy’s ? . We created entire communities and cities of escaped slaves (quilombos and mocambos). Palmares at its height had almost
    60,000 escaped slaves, living under a democratic republic 82 years before your Thomas Jefferson wrote the declaration of independence. And cosign all of that for Central America too, where Afro-Caribbeans were shedding their blood for their freedom decades and decades before
    the Civil War.

I know you guys like to think that you’re the greatest and most important African diaspora community in the World and that no one has had it worse than you but you can sit down and shut the ? up. Your struggle was one of many.

So yeah…take a couple steps back, eat those ? and ? educate yourself.
  • ghostdog56
    ghostdog56 Members Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I didn’t accuse “Blacks” of playing some victim role. I accused YOU and the neo-segregationists in the IC who think doing exactly what real white supremacists on Stormfront want (separating minorities from whites) is a good thing. Thanks be to the Lord that most blacks would probably give you the side eye for that douchebaggery.

I could even cosign you in regards to some of the economics but you’rebstill wrong. Black business ownership is thriving. Even in the Golden Age of Black Entrepeneurship (1900-1930) there were maybe 40,000 black owned businesses in the United States. Today there are 2.6 MILLION
    Black-owned businesses in the United States. That’s a 34% increase since 2007, by the way.

The fact that I’m a foreigner means ? all. I live here, have lived here my whole life, pay taxes, my wife is American, my children will be American and my fate and future are clearly tied with America’s. So you can shut the ? up with that nativist ? Adolf Kwan. I didn’t suddenly lose my ability to read a situation rationally and

And by the way, you can eat a ? for implying that because I’m not American I somehow “don’t know” and “can’t know” the “struggle” Black Americans have gone through. Brazil is home of the largest African diaspora in the World ? . My ancestors were still slaves in 1888, the last slave population to be set free. My great grandfather was born in a slave plantation in 1886.

Everything Black Americans experienced we experienced too: whippings, ? , forcible conversion to Christianity, imposed colorism
    from slave masters, second class citizenry, illegal mixed race children, lynchings… you’re not ? special or unique. Your struggle is not special or unique. Not even your stupidity is special or unique.

And if you’re keeping count, your downplaying of the struggle of Latinos for civil rights in America means you can eat three ? : the Japanese-Mexican Labor Association (JMLA) was founded in 1903 when 1,200 Mexican and Japanese farm workers organized the first farm worker union in the US. The first of its kind.

Mendez et al vs Westminster School District of Orange County, challenged racial segregation against Mexicans and Mexican-Americans in Orange County, California and was instrumental in repealing many of the segregationist provisions in California that benefit millions of blacks. This was in 1946, 8 years before Brown vs Board of Education.

Hernandez v. Texas in 1954 case established that the protection granted by the 14th Amendment of the U.S. Constitution was not only
    for white and black Americans, but that all racial groups required equal protection. This case questioned the use of Jim Crow laws against other classes of Americans, and determined that Americans of Hispanic, Asian, Middle Eastern, Inuit, Native American, and other nonwhite or black descent should also be treated equally. You’re ? welcome.

Regarding slave revolts, Afro-Brazilians were fighting against slave owners hundreds of years before Nat Turner was even a glimmer in his
    daddy’s ? . We created entire communities and cities of escaped slaves (quilombos and mocambos). Palmares at its height had almost
    60,000 escaped slaves, living under a democratic republic 82 years before your Thomas Jefferson wrote the declaration of independence. And cosign all of that for Central America too, where Afro-Caribbeans were shedding their blood for their freedom decades and decades before
    the Civil War.

I know you guys like to think that you’re the greatest and most important African diaspora community in the World and that no one has had it worse than you but you can sit down and shut the ? up. Your struggle was one of many.

Go back to your country
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    kzzl wrote: »
    Nah.

If we accepted the legal separation of races in this country we would basically be giving up on the idea of a coexistence and just creating the potential for even more Balkanization in the future.

The only way to fight racism is through familiarity. 90% of white racists ive met just have never spent any significant with minorities...no black friends, no black lovers, no black relatives, no black pastors, etc.

When you don't spent anytime with other races and see them as people it's easy to write them off as "the other" and think you got nothing in common with them.

This post is a very poor excuse.

Racist don't want to get familiar, that's the thing you're missing. Not only that, but a racist can ? , help, have kids with, work with, be very familiar, and still maintain their racist ideology.

NOPE.

It's not an excuse. It's not even my opinion. It's human psychology, demonstrated by science.

It's called the Contact Hypothesis, developed by Gordon Allport in 1954 which showed two key findings:

1. Prejudice and its institutionalized outcome, racism, is at its key formed by beliefs in false narratives and false stereotypes foistered upon a marginalized group ("all blacks are criminals", "all Jews are cheap", "all Koreans are stingy")

2. These beliefs only survive as long as racists do not encounter unique individuals of said marginalized groups with characteristics that would challenge their belief.

3. A very effective way to accomplish that is to have members of the group have increased contact with each other so that the uniqueness of individuals can be seen. This erodes the stereotypes and makes it harder and harder to believe them.

Here's the original study and a nice overview of the relevant subsequent research:

http://www.in-mind.org/article/intergroup-contact-theory-past-present-and-future

The theory has been shown to be valid dozens of times across dozens of studies done in the last five decades.

Further studies elaborated on it further, like in the 2003 study by Stephen Wright and Donald Taylor who noted the effectiveness of identification with a super-ordinate group.

In other words, different groups can come together as part of one overarching group, for example as part of one community or of a common humanity. This also requires contact, not segregation.

SOURCE: http://sk.sagepub.com/reference/hdbk_socpsych/n16.xml

So yeah...you can have opinions flying around this ? all you want....but if you want to actually tackle the real issue of reducing and eventually ending racism and prejudice in these United States it's not a big mystery.

Follow the science.

But then again, ? in these boards believe the Earth is flat and ? so what the ? do I know right?

Whites for 500+ years have interacted with unique individuals that don't fit the racial profiles (stereotypes) that they created and they are no less racists than they were 500 years ago. In fact the unique individuals they have interacted with either ended up being worked to death, exploited or outright murdered.

The way to end racism is to not be racists. FOH here with that pseudo science. Compassion, respect and humanity are all that is needed. We don't have to break bread with other races to not be racists against them.

Not saying the research is accurate one way or the other but I will say you'd be shocked at the amount of white folks who literally have no other interaction with someone of another race outside of what they see on tv or movies. They live in white towns, go to white schools and only talk to other white people who reinforce the ? they think about other races. Its not exactly beyond the realm of possibility, no matter how slim, that interactions with people outside your normal group will actually change your opinion of said group. The idea on its own isn't that far fetched...its the application of it where it turns into an issue.
  • babelipsss
    babelipsss Members Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    SMH at romanticizing segregation. Do some of y'all not have grandparents or great grandparents that you talk to? Ask any elder black person in their 70's what segregation was really like. Ask them if they want it back.
  • ineedpussy
    ineedpussy Members Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    babelipsss wrote: »
    SMH at romanticizing segregation. Do some of y'all not have grandparents or great grandparents that you talk to? Ask any elder black person in their 70's what segregation was really like. Ask them if they want it back.

but they didn't try to better themselves. the looked through life with a white lense. no a black. if they thought they could achieve without living and being employed by whites then they would of been great. but sadly a lot of black people cant see beyond their nose.
  • kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options
    All I see is folks whining about what yall believe white people would take from us. Black people presently have competence and even mastery in all aspects of life. But I guess negroes just cant imagine life without their white parents. Yall just NEED them i guess. Thats the real reason segregation would never work.
  • Kwan Dai
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »
    Nah.

If we accepted the legal separation of races in this country we would basically be giving up on the idea of a coexistence and just creating the potential for even more Balkanization in the future.

The only way to fight racism is through familiarity. 90% of white racists ive met just have never spent any significant with minorities...no black friends, no black lovers, no black relatives, no black pastors, etc.

When you don't spent anytime with other races and see them as people it's easy to write them off as "the other" and think you got nothing in common with them.

This post is a very poor excuse.

Racist don't want to get familiar, that's the thing you're missing. Not only that, but a racist can ? , help, have kids with, work with, be very familiar, and still maintain their racist ideology.

NOPE.

It's not an excuse. It's not even my opinion. It's human psychology, demonstrated by science.

It's called the Contact Hypothesis, developed by Gordon Allport in 1954 which showed two key findings:

1. Prejudice and its institutionalized outcome, racism, is at its key formed by beliefs in false narratives and false stereotypes foistered upon a marginalized group ("all blacks are criminals", "all Jews are cheap", "all Koreans are stingy")

2. These beliefs only survive as long as racists do not encounter unique individuals of said marginalized groups with characteristics that would challenge their belief.

3. A very effective way to accomplish that is to have members of the group have increased contact with each other so that the uniqueness of individuals can be seen. This erodes the stereotypes and makes it harder and harder to believe them.

Here's the original study and a nice overview of the relevant subsequent research:

http://www.in-mind.org/article/intergroup-contact-theory-past-present-and-future

The theory has been shown to be valid dozens of times across dozens of studies done in the last five decades.

Further studies elaborated on it further, like in the 2003 study by Stephen Wright and Donald Taylor who noted the effectiveness of identification with a super-ordinate group.

In other words, different groups can come together as part of one overarching group, for example as part of one community or of a common humanity. This also requires contact, not segregation.

SOURCE: http://sk.sagepub.com/reference/hdbk_socpsych/n16.xml

So yeah...you can have opinions flying around this ? all you want....but if you want to actually tackle the real issue of reducing and eventually ending racism and prejudice in these United States it's not a big mystery.

Follow the science.

But then again, ? in these boards believe the Earth is flat and ? so what the ? do I know right?

Whites for 500+ years have interacted with unique individuals that don't fit the racial profiles (stereotypes) that they created and they are no less racists than they were 500 years ago. In fact the unique individuals they have interacted with either ended up being worked to death, exploited or outright murdered.

The way to end racism is to not be racists. FOH here with that pseudo science. Compassion, respect and humanity are all that is needed. We don't have to break bread with other races to not be racists against them.

Not saying the research is accurate one way or the other but I will say you'd be shocked at the amount of white folks who literally have no other interaction with someone of another race outside of what they see on tv or movies. They live in white towns, go to white schools and only talk to other white people who reinforce the ? they think about other races. Its not exactly beyond the realm of possibility, no matter how slim, that interactions with people outside your normal group will actually change your opinion of said group. The idea on its own isn't that far fetched...its the application of it where it turns into an issue.

You're spot on. I pointed this very thing out in an earlier post. They self segregate and no one bats an eye. I don't have a problem with them doing so. They want control of their communities. It makes perfect sense.

With that said, IF racism and white supremacy is being taught you're correct, it would take interaction with other races to begin undoing these types of teachings. However, if, compassion, respect, TRUTH, and humanity are being taught in regards to dealing with other races then, there will be no ill towards other races. When, given the opportunity to interact it would be healthy. Racism and Supremacy over another group is taught. We aren't born racist or become racists simply because we live in an area where one race is the majority.

• Kwan Dai
    Options
    babelipsss wrote: »

I have and segregation isn't\wasn't the issue. What they don't want back is the RACISM, and WHITE SUPREMACY which led to violence, poor education, and the lies that painted Blacks as the enemy. When all we were attempting to do was come up like any other person living in America.

• Kwan Dai
    Options
    All I see is folks whining about what yall believe white people would take from us. Black people presently have competence and even mastery in all aspects of life. But I guess negroes just cant imagine life without their white parents. Yall just NEED them i guess. Thats the real reason segregation would never work.

The segregation I am an advocate of, is strictly in areas that determine our economic, political, academic, and cultural futures. It's not about exclusion. It's about control. But we know what won't happen is, Whites would not migrate to healthy Black communities the Supremacists in them wouldn't allow them too. For the one or two that would they would know they are now immersing themselves in the full on experience of Black folks.

But what's interesting is, when segregation was legal whites came to Black neighborhoods quite often for various reasons. We weren't allowed in their neighborhoods though except as help or entertainment. There are some places like that today. Yusef Hawkins comes to mind rather quickly.
  • Kwan Dai
    Options

the Civil War.

If, you want to discuss the diaspora and all of the great things that Blacks have done around the globe, start another thread. Right now we are discussing America and Blacks in America. Within that context we are the greatest your attempts at injecting Latinos (whoever or whatever the ? they are) into the mix of Black liberation or minority liberation for that matter is again you supporting White Supremacy. Stop trying to diminish and white wash our history and contributions. FOH. ? !!
  • alliknowishate
    alliknowishate Members Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So whites can segregate but when blacks want to do it, its a problem. Smmfh. Stockholm disease is real. 'Word to Frederick Douglass
  • ineedpussy
    ineedpussy Members Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    they dont hear you and ? love whitey more than they love their black mother