Today was live bee day at work FAM

Options
King Ghidorah
King Ghidorah Members Posts: 917 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2017 in For The Grown & Sexy
tx6mvkifwwj1.jpg

Anyone else have a dangerous or hazardous jerbs? They don't pay me enough for the stings

Comments

• ineedpussy
    ineedpussy Members Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    im black. thats a dangerous enough of a job for me. stressful, low pay, and i didnt even get the "perks" that black men are suppose to have. fml
  • Ol Jay's
    Ol Jay's Members Posts: 8,286 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    yup, just left the Southside of Chicago
  • SolemnSauce
    SolemnSauce Members Posts: 15,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Thought this was a thread about New York
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nothing wrong with honeybees, tbh.
  • powerman 5000
    powerman 5000 Members Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That's a very good sight. There's suppose to be a bee shortage which is why the good honey cost so much. I wish they were coming to me.
  • HafBayked
    HafBayked Members Posts: 16,248 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I dropped a styrofoam cooler fulla live lobsters at UPS one night.....had to grab all them ? and put em in a bucket until they found another cooler (couple hours, no ice).....packed em back up and sent em on their way.....im sure some fancy restaurant got dead lobster the next day

be careful with the bees mane lol
  • northside7
    northside7 Members Posts: 25,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That's a very good sight. There's suppose to be a bee shortage which is why the good honey cost so much. I wish they were coming to me.

Exactly. Save the bees.
  • rickmogul
    rickmogul Members Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @powerman 5000 @northside7 ......Where are all the supposed" Bee Carcasses?". I ain't see none, no Nat Geo or Discov channel specials either. Hmm.
  • Qiv_Owan
    Qiv_Owan Members Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Rush delivery on a shipment of live bees

? that im taking my time
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options
    You shipping bees in the mail?
  • powerman 5000
    powerman 5000 Members Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    rickmogul wrote: »
    @powerman 5000 @northside7 ......Where are all the supposed" Bee Carcasses?". I ain't see none, no Nat Geo or Discov channel specials either. Hmm.

Discovery:
    http://www.discovery.com/dscovrd/wildlife/us-commercial-honey-bee-populations-see-troubling-42-decline/

posted: 05/14/15
    U.S. Commercial Honey Bee Populations See ‘Troubling’ 42% Decline

Commercial honey bee populations declined 42% in twelve months, according to a new survey from the University of Maryland. In an unusual twist, bee keepers saw severe losses during the summer months, which experts say could be a negative indicator for the overall health of bee colonies.

"The winter loss numbers are more hopeful especially combined with the fact that we have not seen much sign of Colony Collapse Disorder for several years, but such high colony losses in the summer and year-round remain very troubling," said Jeffery Pettis, survey coordinator and a senior entomologist at U.S. Department of Agriculture.

Experts attribute some of the loss to the varroa mite, a deadly parasite that has been ravaging small bee colonies. Amongst larger colonies, however, there is no clear explanation for the stark declines.

The impact of the bee population decline is far-reaching; honey bees do not only produce honey, they also play an important role in pollination of other crops, such as almonds. The honey bee pollination industry is valued at up to $15 billion each year.

and nat geo:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017/03/bumblebees-endangered-extinction-united-states/
    The bee’s population has plummeted nearly 90 percent since the 1990s.

PUBLISHED MARCH 22, 2017
    It’s official: For the first time in the United States, a bumblebee species has been declared endangered.

The rusty patched bumblebee (Bombus affinis), once a common sight, is “now balancing precariously on the brink of extinction,” according to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. Once thriving in 28 states and the District of Columbia, but over the past two decades, the bee’s population has plummeted nearly 90 percent. There are more than 3,000 bee species in the United States, and about 40 belong to the genus Bombus—the bumblebees.

Advocates for the rusty patched bumblebee’s listing are abuzz with relief, but it may be the first skirmish in a grueling conflict over the fate of the Endangered Species Act under the Trump administration.

On January 11, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service finalized the bumblebee’s listing as an endangered species. But on January 20, the bee got stung by the Trump administration’s efforts to postpone and review Obama-era regulations that hadn’t yet taken into effect. On February 10, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service announced that the bumblebee’s listing would take effect on March 21, more than a month after it was originally scheduled.

SAVING BUMBLEBEES BECAME THIS PHOTOGRAPHER'S MISSION Natural history photographer Clay Bolt is on a multi-year quest to tell the stories of our native bees, and the rusty patched bumblebee has become his ‘white whale.’ This submission to National Geographic's Short Film Showcase was produced by Day's Edge Productions and Clay Bolt in partnership with Xerces Society and Endangered Species Chocolate.
    The delay had been the subject of a tense legal battle: On February 14, the Natural Resources Defense Council filed suit against the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, arguing that the delay was illegal. In turn, industry groups including the National Cotton Council and the American Petroleum Institute had petitioned the agency to push back the listing until January 2018. The final March 21 listing renders both arguments moot.

“The Trump administration reversed course and listed the rusty patched bumblebee as an endangered species just in the nick of time. Federal protections may be the only thing standing between the bumblebee and extinction,” Rebecca Riley, senior attorney with the Natural Resources Defense Council, said in a statement.

BUSY AS A BEE

The bumblebee isn’t the first U.S. bee to be deemed endangered: In September, seven species of Hawaiian yellow-faced bees received protection under the Endangered Species Act. (Read “For the First Time, Bees Declared Endangered in the U.S.”)

The threats facing those seven species are similar to the ones that have depleted rusty patched bumblebee populations: loss of habitat, diseases and parasites, pesticides, and climate change. This is a big deal not only for bees but for people, too—after all, bees pollinate a lot of our food. (See seven intimate pictures that reveal the beauty of bees.)

“Bumblebees are among the most important pollinators of crops such as blueberries, cranberries, and clover, and almost the only insect pollinators of tomatoes,” according to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.

“The economic value of pollination services provided by native insects (mostly bees) is estimated at $3 billion per year in the United States.”

In its announcement about the rusty patched bumblebees’ endangered status, the department listed ways that individuals can help stop the bees’ decline. (See “9 Ways You Can Help Bees and Other Pollinators At Home.”)

These include planting native flowers, limiting or avoiding pesticides, and fostering natural landscapes that attract the insects.

FIRST OF MANY FIGHTS?
    The Natural Resources Defense Council’s now-moot suit probably marks the first volley in a years-long legal battle over the Endangered Species Act.

Foes of the law see an opportunity to weaken it under President Donald Trump, who has said the nation’s environmental rules are “out of control.”

In February, Senate Republicans held a hearing focused on “modernizing” the Endangered Species Act—promoting changes that would make it more challenging to list a new species or expedite the removal of species that are already listed. Critics of the law charge it with being ineffective, as well as a hindrance to economic development and land use.

Some observers are wary of this language. “The professed desire to ‘modernize’ the ESA has almost always been code to push forward an agenda to weaken or gut it,” Defenders of Wildlife chief Jamie Rappaport Clark told the Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works during the hearing.

Since 1973, the Endangered Species Act has empowered the federal government to protect certain species by designating them as threatened or endangered, preserving habitat and outlawing hunts. It currently protects more than 1,600 plant and animal species.

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, which oversees the law’s implementation, acknowledges that the number of species so far deemed robust enough to be taken off the protected list (close to 40) is “relatively modest.”

However, the law has been nearly 100-percent successful at preventing those species from going extinct altogether, and it has allowed others, such as the gray wolf, bald eagle, and American crocodile, to thrive.

• dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    Na I'm good b I'll ? around trip and drop that and have bees all over the place
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Qiv_Owan wrote: »
    Rush delivery on a shipment of live bees

? that im taking my time

rush as in priority.. not tossing that ? quickly
  • nawledge_god
    nawledge_god Members Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    tx6mvkifwwj1.jpg

Anyone else have a dangerous or hazardous jerbs? They don't pay me enough for the stings

You Work For The USPS Pleighboi? I Heard They Treat Their Employees Well...Is That Still The Case?
  • MsSouthern
    MsSouthern Members, Moderators Posts: 21,791 Regulator
    Options
    Day to day I sit in a corner office with a nice view

Biggest threat is a paper cut

When I'm in court it's a little more ... there are some crazy mf out here

• King Ghidorah
    King Ghidorah Members Posts: 917 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    nawledge_? wrote: »
    tx6mvkifwwj1.jpg

You Work For The USPS Pleighboi? I Heard They Treat Their Employees Well...Is That Still The Case?

They treat me very well, too well in fact. It breeds laziness. Post office motto "We get paid by the hour, not the mail piece"
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    Options
    We just sent some queen bees last week
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    VIBE wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with honeybees, tbh.

Get stung in the face and repost that