The Official World Politics Thread - All Breaking News here.

Options

Comments

• stringer bell
    stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sessions moves to lengthen drug sentences
    AG rolls back Obama-era policy that allowed many to escape stiff mandatory minimums

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/05/12/mandatory-minimum-drug-sentences-jeff-sessions-238295

Elections have consequences

• a.mann
    a.mann Members Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Gee...I wonder who will be the main targets of Sessions decision to reverse this policy....
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    a.mann wrote: »
    Gee...I wonder who will be the main targets of Sessions decision to reverse this policy....

If I was a morally bankrupt person I would buy stock in private prisons.
  • Angeles1son85
    Angeles1son85 Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    marc123 wrote: »
    fortyacres wrote: »
    Watching the Lester Holt interview i noticed when trump lies he "sniffs" then speaks.

that lestor holt interview was legit hard to watch. Every time Trump speaks he makes it worse. He is so unhinged.

this is why i think Trump will resign before he's ever put to to trial, from impeachment or otherwise. He's horrible at being grilled.

Idk his pride wont let him resign he dont want that L and all these the first lady no where to be found
  • a.mann
    a.mann Members Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    D. Morgan wrote: »

Well, if the argument that President Obama"" NEVER did NOTHING for black people"" is indeed true,
    none of the of cutting, gutting and reversal of drug sentencing, justice reform,oversight of law enforcement, social, and healthcare policies & programs he implemented during his presidency ultimately means nothing

So you should be free to invest as you please, guilt free
  • NoCompetition
    NoCompetition Members Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options

Little reminders of why it actually does matter who gets elected and voting actually does matter. Obama (Democrat) reversed the manditory minimums (some dishonestly didnt want to give him credit for anything) Now we have that being reversed. Due to now a Republican administration with different priorities. They arent "just the same" here is concrete proof. On many issues they are actually diametrically opposed. Regardless your politics it absolutely matters who is making poilcy. A democratic administration would be going in a different direction because they are not "just the same".
  • NoCompetition
    NoCompetition Members Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options
    D. Morgan wrote: »

Well, if the argument that President Obama"" NEVER did NOTHING for black people"" is indeed true,
    none of the of cutting, gutting and reversal of drug sentencing, justice reform,oversight of law enforcement, social, and healthcare policies & programs he implemented during his presidency ultimately means nothing

So you should be free to invest as you please, guilt free

Yeah this was obviously a flat out lie. My question is why were so many so easily gullible? Like Anybody can say anything to try to manipulate you but your that easy? We'll see how things go going forward.
  • marc123
    marc123 Members Posts: 16,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Comey said he aint worried bout no ? tapes lol. gat damn, reality tv
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    weirdly written letter and does this provide proof of money laundering?

• marc123
    marc123 Members Posts: 16,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options
    lol. source close to comey now says "comey hopes there are tapes." smh
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    and apparently they were Russia Law Firm of the Year in 2016
  • Angeles1son85
    Angeles1son85 Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options
    this ? is crazy its like for the first time everyone in the world is watching the same show and tryin to break it down lol spicer out there like the little brother tryin to tell mom and dad that big brother didnt have no party and no one came over while they were on vacation studdering and ? lol one of these days spicer gonna say everyone just ? and wait ur fukin turn
  • blue_london
    blue_london Members Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hospital hacks reported in 11 countries Russia and Spain worse affected
  • stringer bell
    Options
    https://www.axios.com/trumps-comey-fight-spooks-capitol-hill-2404656591.html
    Trump's Comey fight spooks Capitol Hill

There is widespread concern among Congressional leadership about Trump's frame of mind in the wake of the Comey firing.

Senior Senate aide: "It has to stop ... never seen anything like this in my entire career."

House leadership source: "Lot of anxiety, don't know next shoe to drop."

Here are the concerns we've heard from senior congressional sources.
    1. Trump going after FBI director he just fired. Trump is supposed to be enacting an agenda, but is setting up a huge fight with someone who has nothing to lose.
    2. White House is careening between crisis after crisis. "We need our asset out there every day barnstorming for tax reform, health care," the senate aide said.
    3. Who can tell him no? Where is Reince, where are the adults?
    4. Whose idea was it to blame Rod Rosenstein?
    5. What an awful position this created for Richard Burr, the Senate Intel chair who has been working with Comey on this investigation.
    6. What about the forgotten people? if they burn all this time on fights in DC, how can they deliver results to people in Trumpland?
    7. Russia thing is self-inflicted. Root of it was Trump's Obama tweet. Very little sympathy for Trump from exasperated people.
  • stringer bell
    Options
    http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/spicer-no-explanation-why-white-house-changed-story-comey-firing
    Spicer Won’t Account For Dramatically Shifting Explanations Of Comey Firing

White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer on Friday brushed off questions about the deluge of shifting, contradictory explanations the Trump administration offered this week for the abrupt firing of FBI Director James Comey, saying the decision had always rested with the President.

“Why were the American people given incorrect information that night?” Time reporter Zeke Miller asked in the daily briefing, noting that the Trump administration attributed the firing to a recommendation from Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein days before President Donald Trump told NBC News he’d made the decision unilaterally.

“I don’t necessarily believe that that’s true, Zeke,” Spicer insisted. “There was a decision-making process. The President explained it in the interview process. The bottom line is that the director of the FBI serves the President. The President made a decision to replace him, as he has stated very clearly now publicly.”

Another reporter pressed Spicer to explain the “discrepancy” in the statements coming out of the White House about who prompted the decision.

“It’s always the President’s decision. That’s it, final,” Spicer said. “As I mentioned to Zeke, this is always going to be the President’s decision. Everybody who serves for the President, it’s always going to be his decision to hire someone or fire someone.”

Spicer’s replies overlooked that White House communications staff first told reporters that Rosenstein’s memo, which criticized Comey’s handling of the FBI investigation into Hillary Clinton’s use of a private email server, was the impetus for the firing. The administration then said Trump had mulled ousting Comey ever since he won the November election.

And on Thursday night, Trump himself told NBC News that he was thinking about the FBI’s ongoing investigation into whether his campaign colluded with Russian officials to influence election when he decided to move forward with firing Comey.
  • northside7
    northside7 Members Posts: 25,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sessions moves to lengthen drug sentences
    AG rolls back Obama-era policy that allowed many to escape stiff mandatory minimums

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/05/12/mandatory-minimum-drug-sentences-jeff-sessions-238295

Elections have consequences

This is the type of ? people have to keep their eyes open for during the circus.
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    In some circles i heard she is being considered for a 2020 ticket:

Southern Democrat.
    Has a Law & State Security background.
    Stood Up to Trump
    Tough Woman
    people say this kind of thing a lot about white southern Dem candidates... but it occurs to me that if they're just going to toe the party line on issues, it's not as strong as it seems

Sen. Kamala Harris (D-CA) responded to a Republican congressman’s claim that no one dies because they don’t have access to health care, in an interview released Monday: “What the ? is that?”
    unrelated note: i hope that one day i get to see Kamala Harris go to jail
  • janklow
    Options
    Attorney General Jeff Sessions is reviewing policy changes set in place by the Obama administration that eliminated harsh punishments for low-level drug crimes and could direct federal prosecutors to again charge drug offenders with crimes carrying the most severe penalties, according to U.S. officials.
    reminds me how much i am annoyed by one party saying "? WE NEED THIS DRACONIAN ? BECAUSE OF CRIME" and then the other party saying "actually, crime has been decreasing for decades."

...only to switch sides of that debate when something else is at stake.

? politicians *sigh*
  • janklow
    Options
    my new theory is that Trump has dementia
    he IS old

• janklow
    edited May 2017
    Options
    eh, this guy is a ?

also, pretty sure Bob Owens is actually getting a bad rap from some of these Twitter users
    i would, however, make fun of a guy who killed himself who mocked other suicides
  • janklow
    Options
    After Spicer spent several minutes hidden in the bushes behind these sets, Janet Montesi, an executive assistant in the press office, emerged and told reporters that Spicer would answer some questions, as long as he was not filmed doing so. Spicer then emerged.
    somehow this is the weirdest part of this whole mess
  • janklow
    Options
    if the dems take the house and the senate in 2018, I'm 100% certain they going after his ass.
    still don't think there's any way they make that happen
    still, competitive seats are going to make for tense elections