The Official Boxing Thread

Options

Comments

• Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    http://www.boxingscene.com/de-la-hoya-mayweather-face-canelo-golovkin-winner--116435
    De La Hoya: Mayweather Should Face The Canelo-Golovkin Winner

By Keith Idec

Oscar De La Hoya offered Floyd Mayweather Jr. some advice Tuesday.

“The Golden Boy” thinks Mayweather should forget about a meaningless matchup with MMA superstar Conor McGregor and come out of retirement to fight the winner of the Canelo Alvarez-Gennady Golovkin fight September 16. Mayweather wants to fight McGregor in a boxing match because it’s a very low-risk/extremely high-reward proposition for which he would make more than $100 million.

“Even Floyd, after this fight with Canelo and Golovkin, forget about ‘The Notorious One,’ Conor McGregor,” De La Hoya told ESPN’s Stephen A. Smith and Max Kellerman on “First Take” while discussing the Alvarez-Golovkin fight Tuesday. “Forget about a fighter who has zero experience, who has zero fights, who has zero amateur experience. Forget about that.

“Mayweather’s better than that. Mayweather, look, if you wanna fight and have a rematch against Canelo or a fight against Golovkin, go after them. You know, after Canelo and Golovkin fight, go after the winner.”

The 40-year-old Mayweather (49-0, 26 KOs) retired following his easy unanimous-decision victory over Andre Berto (31-5, 24 KOs) in September 2015 at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. Two years earlier, he beat Alvarez by majority decision in a 12-round fight Mayweather won convincingly at MGM Grand.

The 26-year-old Alvarez (49-1-1, 34 KOs) has improved since losing to Mayweather, the only fighter to defeat him during his 11½-year pro career. They fought at a catch weight of 152 pounds, two below the junior middleweight limit at which Alvarez competed at the time.

An Alvarez-Mayweather rematch would do huge business, particularly if Alvarez entered it coming off a win against Golovkin (37-0, 33 KOs). The inordinately wealthy Mayweather hasn’t displayed a genuine inclination to return, however, other than for what would be a heavily hyped mismatch against Ireland’s McGregor, who has never competed in an amateur or professional boxing match.

If Golovkin beats Alvarez, it’s highly unlikely Mayweather would consider coming out of retirement to fight the Kazkh knockout artist. The 35-year-old Golovkin has fought exclusively at middleweight during his 11-year pro career and Mayweather is a natural welterweight who has boxed above that threshold only for junior middleweight showdowns with Alvarez, Miguel Cotto and De La Hoya.

Damn he s still their marketing scheme
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He already beat Canelo... Floyd don't have to come back at 40 years old so these guys can cash off his name while hoping he turns old in the ring at 40.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    yeah mayweather needs to just leave well alone.....

but on the other hand, rather than retire and take a step back, he stay talking like he's still the head honcho and runs tings, so he's only got himself to blame for being called out

This he should just fall back stay gone.
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeah I'm good on Mayweather

Stay out the way
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Naw comeback and make that money
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    if Floyd feels he still got it and wants to get in the ring and gun for the winner I'm all for if not I'm cool with it also.

• playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    if Floyd feels he still got it and wants to get in the ring and gun for the winner I'm all for if not I'm cool with it also.

he wont.
  • Arya Tsaddiq
    Arya Tsaddiq Members Posts: 15,334 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    http://www.boxingscene.com/luis-ortiz-threatens-legal-action-if-anthony-joshua-not-next--116404
    Luis Ortiz Threatens Legal Action if Anthony Joshua is Not Next!

By Ryan Burton

Unbeaten number #1 heavyweight contender Luis "King King" Ortiz is chomping at the bit to get in the ring with WBA/IBF/IBO heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua.

On April 29th Joshua climbed off the canvas to stop Wladimir Klitschko in 11 rounds in one of the most exciting heavyweight title fights of the past decade.

After the fight, Ortiz spoke exclusively to BoxingScene.com to remind the Brit that the WBA mandated him to face him in his next fight.

"I congratulate the young man for courage but I'm next and that is that. Look, my team let that fight happen because the WBA and Eddie Hearn asked us for a favor and because Klitschko didn't want to fight me but I'm done being pushed back. It's my time and I want my WBA belt so yeah I'm calling Joshua out. If he likes he can just give up the belt but if not then October or November sounds good to me so it's your move boy. To be he best you have to fight the best," Ortiz had previously told BoxingScene.com.

Just before the Klitschko fight the WBA changed course and stated that they may grant the winner of the fight a "special permit" to make one more voluntary defense before facing Ortiz. Joshua also has an IBF mandatory due against Kubrat Pulev which muddles the situation even more.

After stopping Klitschko, Joshua mentioning giving Klitschko a rematch and also facing Tyson Fury. Klitschko, who has the right to a contractually negotiated rematch, has yet to say if he plans to exercise it.

The 38-year-old Ortiz is obviously not a happy camper with the whole situation and after stepping side to allow Joshua-Klitschko to go through, is threatening legal action if his next fight isn't for the WBA title.

"I'm ready for the biggest fight of my life and it's not with regular opponents but with no other than the world ranking of the WBA. Look, if they think I'm going to fold they must be smoking some good sh*t. I've come too far. I've struggled too much in my life and starved one too many times in Cuba as a kid, eating only bread and water to stop now. I endured too much having to cross the dangerous waters of the Gulf to make it to the US for freedom for me and my sick little girl to now get bullied by anyone," Ortiz told BoxingScene.com.

"Look, boxing is a sport not just a business and it's not fair to me if they allow Joshua to get special treatment because someone is dishing out money. My team convinced me to let the WBA move on with the resolution because of lawsuits that were coming at (WBA President) Mendoza so I agreed on the WBA terms so they told the world and me that I was next no matter what the IBF was asking. Remember, I was the interim champ. The only reason for not fighting Ustinov was they didn't want to drug test and that was in the bylaws of WBA so I was cleared by my attorneys. All I want is to be treated fair. I'm not asking for what's not mine."

My ?

WAR KING KONG
  • playboy buddy rose
    playboy buddy rose Members Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They say that mayweather runs thru alot of money in between fights... i could see him fighting tha winner if ... tha mcgregor fight falls thru
  • Negro_Caesar
    Negro_Caesar Members Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    MR.CJ wrote: »

Nah Canelo got mexico behind him. ? is the face of boxing
  • stringer bell
    stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? _Caesar wrote: »
    MR.CJ wrote: »

Nah Canelo got mexico behind him. ? is the face of boxing

Ain't no face of boxing of right now.
  • stringer bell
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCJfVQ01aqA

The Champ is back and he's talking that ? ...

• MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Let's go champ
  • playboy buddy rose
    Options
  • stringer bell
    Options
    http://www.boxingscene.com/de-la-hoya-canelo-ggg-showcase-golden-boy-top-position--116488
    De La Hoya: Canelo-GGG Will Showcase Golden Boy's Top Position

By Miguel Rivera

After some ups and downs in the last few years, Golden Boy Promotions CEO Oscar De La Hoya feels strongly that his brand is back on top as the premier promotional company in boxing.

On September 16th, Golden Boy will be the lead promoter for the biggest boxing event of the year when Saul "Canelo" Alvarez (49-1-1, 34 KOs) challenges IBF, IBO, WBA, WBC middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin (37-0, 33 KOs). The venue has yet to be determined.

As the promoter for arguably the biggest star in boxing, at least in the United States, Golden Boy is standing in a very strong position. Canelo, at only 26 years-old, could be around for a very long time.

Because of the tremendous demand to see the fight take place, Canelo vs. Golovkin is a fight that sells itself. That won't stop De La Hoya from putting together a huge promotional campaign to push the event.

"Obviously, nothing is easy, and we must use our intelligence, the promotional machinery, the team work of the company, to launch an advertising campaign all over the world," De La Hoya told ESPN Deportes.

De La Hoya's company has been involved in the majority of the largest pay-per-view events in the last decade - including De La Hoya's fight with Floyd Mayweather Jr., Canelo vs. Mayweather, Canelo vs. Mayweather, Canelo vs. Miguel Cotto and most of Mayweather's pay-per-view events in that time period. Golden Boy's pay-per-view from last Saturday, which saw Canelo dominate Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. in a one-sided fight, reportedly generated at least a million buys.

De La Hoya says the Canelo-Golovkin event will showcase exactly why his company holds the top promotional spot.

"Without a doubt, we are the best in the world, we know what we are doing, we have the experience, we have machinery that allows us to promote any fight and make it big. We are the best company. Team work is something that we have been demonstrating for a long time, for several years and we will continue down this road for a long time," De la Hoya concluded.

GB only has one fighter who moves the needle and yet Oscar is claiming that they're the top promotional company in boxing...
  • playboy buddy rose
    Options
    Who's tha bigga quitter this past week chavez jr or james harden?
  • Mastery
    Mastery Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 14,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Who's tha bigga quitter this past week chavez jr or james harden?

Harden by far.
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    All this arrogance coming from Oscar SMH.. Briggs hilarious .... ima go watch the video where he made wlad fall in the lake and when he ate his food "whatever u eat I eat let's go champ." Lol
  • Mastery
    Mastery Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 14,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    aneed123 wrote: »
    All this arrogance coming from Oscar SMH.. Briggs hilarious .... ima go watch the video where he made wlad fall in the lake and when he ate his food "whatever u eat I eat let's go champ." Lol

Yeah, them ? are hilarious haha
  • stringer bell
    Options
    http://www.boxingscene.com/dulorme-not-making-money-with-tmt-starts-driving-uber--116539
    Dulorme Not Making Money With TMT, Starts Driving Uber

By TMZ

World title challenger Thomas Dulorme - who signed a promotional agreement with Mayweather Promotions - says he's so broke, he's driving Uber to make ends meet.

Dulorme (24-2, 16 KOs) -- whose last fight in January was televised on Showtime Extreme when he stopped Brian Jones, has only fought once in 2015 and once in 2016. In his sole fight of 2015, he was knocked out by Terrance Crawford when they battled for the vacant WBO junior welterweight world title in an HBO televised fight.

So, you can imagine how crazy it was when a boxing fan ordered up an Uber in Las Vegas back in April and recognized Dulorme in the driver's seat.

Dulorme explained that he is part of Floyd's famous TMT (The Money Team), but says - "I'm part of the team. Not the money."

TMZ Sports spoke with the 27-year-old who says he's explored breaking his promotional deal with TMT -- but he believes it would cost him too much money ... money he doesn't have in the first place.

We reached out to Mayweather Promotions for their side of the story but haven't heard back.

Clearly, there are issues here.

By the way, the passenger in the video tells TMZ Sports he gave Dulorme a good rating on Uber.
  • nycest_1
    nycest_1 Members Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    http://www.boxingscene.com/dulorme-not-making-money-with-tmt-starts-driving-uber--116539
    Dulorme Not Making Money With TMT, Starts Driving Uber

By TMZ

World title challenger Thomas Dulorme - who signed a promotional agreement with Mayweather Promotions - says he's so broke, he's driving Uber to make ends meet.

Dulorme (24-2, 16 KOs) -- whose last fight in January was televised on Showtime Extreme when he stopped Brian Jones, has only fought once in 2015 and once in 2016. In his sole fight of 2015, he was knocked out by Terrance Crawford when they battled for the vacant WBO junior welterweight world title in an HBO televised fight.

So, you can imagine how crazy it was when a boxing fan ordered up an Uber in Las Vegas back in April and recognized Dulorme in the driver's seat.

Dulorme explained that he is part of Floyd's famous TMT (The Money Team), but says - "I'm part of the team. Not the money."

TMZ Sports spoke with the 27-year-old who says he's explored breaking his promotional deal with TMT -- but he believes it would cost him too much money ... money he doesn't have in the first place.

We reached out to Mayweather Promotions for their side of the story but haven't heard back.

Clearly, there are issues here.

By the way, the passenger in the video tells TMZ Sports he gave Dulorme a good rating on Uber.

damn so crawford out here beating cab drivers lol