Do u feel Blacks associate ourselves with poverty 2much at the cost of not identifying asMiddleClass

Options

Comments

• 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    now while i see all the stats...all that can be changed with. mentality.

poor is not about location as it's more about the mind.
    I have often ran into people who I know for a fact are better than what they portray.

hell. even on this site are constant examples of poor mentality than anything.

case an point....the moment someone says..." you made it out the hood and think". real ? ...that statement invalidates anything you say afterwards...simply because you are assuming the location dictated the mentality. why should someone who made it out be proud or a bit arrogant since there are so many reasons why they shouldn't?.

not gonna point out my ? ..but I once heard Obama aint like us cause he from Hawaii so he don't understand the hood.

I have quite a few problems with that statement.

it's like ok. if he was a hybrid from the hood could he still had been president? did he become president because he wasn't hood? why does his location cancel out his understanding the struggle of being black?

he may not have missed a meal but is he still a black man? if anything. you would think his struggle was harder cause he grew up in hawaii. Hawaii is racist as fukk now. at this moment. how you think it was growing up in the time he was there?

but rather than understanding his struggle people rather give him an out an say he made it because. as if being black changes because.

I'll ask this question again...
    what's the difference between a black man in Hawaii and a black man in a US inner city?

ill tell you..
    nothing, but the amount and type of excuses.

I'm ready for this fight today

all of the bolded is ?

u naive as ? if u think surroundings don't have ? to do with self-esteem and opportunity

is it a valid excuse to fail when there are better choices to be made? no, but don't act like making it out of the hood when u generations deep isn't an accomplishment

mofos like u love to act like the hood is made that way by accident......there are forces/structures that purposely designed and even today continue to reinforce the hood to be that way..........better go back and check the great Furious Styles for his lyrics my ? , he was talking some real ? haha

as far as Obama.....if he ain't never missed a meal then yeah he can't relate to the average hood ? .....statements about him being out of touch are valid

and Hawaii ain't no excuse, I just left there......wasn't even my 1st time there either.......never been to a place with LESS racism ever

so there is plenty of difference between a surfing ass Hawaiian ? and a black man who legitimately has to worry about stop and frisk today in many US inner cities

? are you serious?

first....fukk it. I'm proud to make it out after being there for generations... that wont change.
    but I be damned if I'm ok with being yet another still there.
    an yes. surroundings effect mentality. if you let it.
    ? buttfukkin in jail...do you have to be apart of it cuz you are surrounded by it?

and again....yes I know why the hood exists....it's been that way for along time. your just said generations deep. your words.

if none of your fam made it out yet...are you strong enough to make the change needed to break the cycle?

not sure where you are from but you stated you have multiple houses. if you black. did you come from the hood? did you bust your ass to get what you got or was it given to you? all the hood ? y'all defending...you actually go against it all because you got two or more houses. what did the forces of to stop you and why didn't it stop you?

bruh...what you talking about? you a living example of proving my point that drive can give you more.

no. everyone wont be the same...but does that stop the attempt?

wtf u lunchin like ? right now LOL......I don't know where the bolded came from :(

u in ur feels and I notice u keep speaking on my houses.......but yet u didn't understand why I see u as suspect sometimes

only insecure mofos worry about what other people got.......if u overseas balling in Switzerland like u say then we should be speaking as peers.......and peers don't watch each others' pockets

and my point is that while drive can give u more, it's also not solely enough.......I consider myself blessed, lucky, randomly chosen, or however u want to call it

so I don't blame the average ? still stuck in the hood because we all aren't given the same talents or even the same opportunities to get out......so why would I sit back and try to critique a ? still stuck in the hood trying to figure his way out?

and let's not forget that drive is what has a lot of mofos in prison now from hustling/robbing/stealing whatever

if u that invested in helping hood ? , then spend ur time making a way to help others out, but don't sit here on ur throne and judge other mofos for only doing what they were taught and can see

? I always welcome being peers.

an yes I'm in Swiss...homie sion sent me mail to my house in PA and Swiss.

I use your houses as a referee point to say you good thru work.

others can have a similar path...with a few tweaks....haven't bought a throne yet...but I help people in two countries working on another when I get time.

• (Nope)
    (Nope) Members Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I have often ran into people who I know for a fact are better than what they portray.

case an point....the moment someone says..." you made it out the hood and think". real ? ...that statement invalidates anything you say afterwards...simply because you are assuming the location dictated the mentality. why should someone who made it out be proud or a bit arrogant since there are so many reasons why they shouldn't?.

not gonna point out my ? ..but I once heard Obama aint like us cause he from Hawaii so he don't understand the hood.

it's like ok. if he was a hybrid from the hood could he still had been president? did he become president because he wasn't hood? why does his location cancel out his understanding the struggle of being black?

he may not have missed a meal but is he still a black man? if anything. you would think his struggle was harder cause he grew up in hawaii. Hawaii is racist as fukk now. at this moment. how you think it was growing up in the time he was there?

but rather than understanding his struggle people rather give him an out an say he made it because. as if being black changes because.

what's the difference between a black man in Hawaii and a black man in a US inner city?

ill tell you..

all of the bolded is ?

u naive as ? if u think surroundings don't have ? to do with self-esteem and opportunity

is it a valid excuse to fail when there are better choices to be made? no, but don't act like making it out of the hood when u generations deep isn't an accomplishment

mofos like u love to act like the hood is made that way by accident......there are forces/structures that purposely designed and even today continue to reinforce the hood to be that way..........better go back and check the great Furious Styles for his lyrics my ? , he was talking some real ? haha

as far as Obama.....if he ain't never missed a meal then yeah he can't relate to the average hood ? .....statements about him being out of touch are valid

and Hawaii ain't no excuse, I just left there......wasn't even my 1st time there either.......never been to a place with LESS racism ever

so there is plenty of difference between a surfing ass Hawaiian ? and a black man who legitimately has to worry about stop and frisk today in many US inner cities

Your point is well taken, but this is where you're wrong. Surroundings have a profound effect on who you are. And just because something worked for you and/or you were able to overcome the adversity of your surroundings, doesn't mean that everyone else could or should. Surroundings don't have to define you, but ignoring their affects on others makes you seem self-righteous. It's not a question of "if you let it." It's happening whether you know it or not. You can't talk empowerment while putting people down, it's counter-intuitive. Which whether you realize it or not is what you're doing when you deny someone their experience. What you did was special and by recognizing that you can better serve others.

• blakfyahking
    blakfyahking Members Posts: 15,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options

never said he was bulletproof... just asking why is he less black which inturn makes people use that as why he was able.

that's defeatist, is it not?

I'm not saying you...but we can't question his blackness because of location. eventually we will all come up.

how would you feel if you made millions and people told your child they ain't black enough because you got loot now or your wife was white.
    will blue ivy not be black enough?

will kaynes kid not be black enough?

what's black enough?

who's fault is it that u chose to make a family with a white chick when u had a choice to pick a black woman as a wife? haha

I mean even Barack Obama managed to do that, which is how he got acceptance by a lot of black people

part of the black experience is struggle............it doesn't necessarily have to be financial struggle

but don't sit here and act like a sheltered black person who hasn't had to face any adversity can relate to the average black person from any country

struggle is what all black share besides melanin across languages, cultures, and even class divisions

a ? is coupe is still a ? , a ? who speak Spanish is still a ? , etc.

the only way u ain't black enough is if u don't contribute or struggle for the black experience point blank

we'll wait and see what Kanye's kids do when it's their turn

two men from different backgrounds may have different struggles...

guy in the city deal with coke ? x.
    guy in the burbs ? , ? . coke heroin. other new designer ? , spray cans. magic markers, cinnamon.
    .guy in the city...jumped by gang for wearing wrong color
    guys in burbs jumped for being the wrong color.
    guy in the city shot by friend playing around
    guy in burbs shot by friend playing with gun.
    gut in burbs frisked by cops an beat up
    guy in city frisked and neat up by cops

this can go on an on

location changed didn't make either of the any less black

ok but if they all have there own adversity as black people, doesn't that count as the struggle I mentioned previously?

and location has nothing to do with blackness, it's about the struggle like I said

u think Barack had to deal with any of them issues over in HI? haha cut the ? my ?
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    (Nope) wrote: »

ill tell you..

all of the bolded is ?

Your point is well taken, but this is where you're wrong. Surroundings have a profound effect on who you are. And just because something worked for you and/or you were able to overcome the adversity of your surroundings, doesn't mean that everyone else could or should. Surroundings don't have to define you, but ignoring their affects on others makes you seem self-righteous. It's not a question of "if you let it." It's happening whether you know it or not. You can't talk empowerment while putting people down, it's counter-intuitive. Which whether you realize it or not is what you're doing when you deny someone their experience. What you did was special and by recognizing that you can better serve others.

bruh again...I'm not putting anyone down.

but alot of ? goes on around you that you will ir won't take. but we gonna focus on what you said real fast.

so does this mean those that are around fukk ? will be like that fukk ? ? but why didn't they get away from it?

there are people who had two crackheads parents living in gangland yet become a doctor or some ? .

some day that's the exception an not the rule...OK, with all the odds stacked against them. their mentality carried them to greatness. their will.

it's like a rose growning outta concrete...you see it. it's not suppose to happen ...but it did. which means it can happen again.

an why the fukk is making it out the exception an not the rule?
  • blakfyahking
    Options

ill tell you..

all of the bolded is ?

^^^cosign all of this

what @2stepz_ahead is talking sounds just like white people when black folks talk about how institutional racism is an obstacle

whether u choose to let it stop u has nothing to do with whether or not it exists in the 1st place
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    5th Letter wrote: »

ill tell you..

This post is very ironic. So you downplay African Americans and their struggle on some "bah you have no excuses" but turn around and tell us "we need to understand Obama's struggle", you yourself seem to act like you don't understand African American struggles and chalk it up to ? being able to do better but choose to live ? .

here you go.

I'm not downplaying the struggle....

not sure how you got that.

what I am saying is other people have struggled that are not from the hood. we all have struggles. but being from the hood doesn't automatically mean yours was harder than someone else's who black. struggles are different.

that's why I say...its not location it is mentality.

an ? please tell me how I don't understand?

why would you assume I dont know?

because I call iout ? who do stay content?

what that gotta do with the man who busting his ass for his family who didn't make it out YET? they are not the same. but you trynna to put them under one umbrella to defend your argue against the post.

wasted potential is just that.

why is it that everytime somekne says we can do better or you are better...that taken as negative?

is that not what I posted someone was gonna say?

so now encouragement equals not understanding a struggle?

bruh you better than that....reread what you said.

You did say you wanted a fight today so I see you're being argumentative right now. My point is that you have to keep it consistent if you can call out ? then ? can call out Obama. It's fair game.

but is it?

the game aint fair.

his mentality was not limited to his locations rules.

no matter what y'all say. there are unwritten rules.

question is why are we allowing fukk ? to write them?

but as far as people calling out Obama..why are they taking away from his hard work and reducing him to where he was from?

alot of prople ade it out the hoods...

what are black doctors and black lawyers and ? ..what are their excuses?

you can disregard that sports people are physically more gifted......but still an excuse.

you just took away from. their hardwork. to get to that point.

feel me

But you don't know whether the people you criticize mentality is limited or not. But either way as far as I can see I don't think people write off his success, some people may just feel like because he didn't grow up around black people (for the most part) that he truly can't identify with black people. If there are black lawyers and doctors chances are they got scholarships to go to school thru academics. Not everybody's situation is the same. And lastly I never once took anything away from anyone who came up from rough upbringings. I simply made one point which was if you can call out ? , then ? can call out Obama. Why exactly does him being successful makes him bulletproof to any criticism? At the end of the day it's opinions.

never said he was bulletproof... just asking why is he less black which inturn makes people use that as why he was able.

I'm not saying you...but we can't question his blackness because of location. eventually we will all come up.

how would you feel if you made millions and people told your child they ain't black enough because you got loot now or your wife was white.

what's black enough?

I've never seen anyone say he was less black. But when you grew up around white people is it a stretch to say that he couldn't relate to black people as much?
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options

ill tell you..

This post is very ironic. So you downplay African Americans and their struggle on some "bah you have no excuses" but turn around and tell us "we need to understand Obama's struggle", you yourself seem to act like you don't understand African American struggles and chalk it up to ? being able to do better but choose to live ? .

here you go.

what I am saying is other people have struggled that are not from the hood. we all have struggles. but being from the hood doesn't automatically mean yours was harder than someone else's who black. struggles are different.

what that gotta do with the man who busting his ass for his family who didn't make it out YET? they are not the same. but you trynna to put them under one umbrella to defend your argue against the post.

why is it that everytime somekne says we can do better or you are better...that taken as negative?

You did say you wanted a fight today so I see you're being argumentative right now. My point is that you have to keep it consistent if you can call out ? then ? can call out Obama. It's fair game.

but is it?

the game aint fair.

but as far as people calling out Obama..why are they taking away from his hard work and reducing him to where he was from?

you can disregard that sports people are physically more gifted......but still an excuse.

feel me

But you don't know whether the people you criticize mentality is limited or not. But either way as far as I can see I don't think people write off his success, some people may just feel like because he didn't grow up around black people (for the most part) that he truly can't identify with black people. If there are black lawyers and doctors chances are they got scholarships to go to school thru academics. Not everybody's situation is the same. And lastly I never once took anything away from anyone who came up from rough upbringings. I simply made one point which was if you can call out ? , then ? can call out Obama. Why exactly does him being successful makes him bulletproof to any criticism? At the end of the day it's opinions.

what's black enough?

I've never seen anyone say he was less black. But when you grew up around white people is it a stretch to say that he couldn't relate to black people as much?

which type black people...
  • R0mp
    R0mp Members Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    R0mp wrote: »
    Struggling and poverty is just part of the identity for a lot of us.

Most of the black ppl I know personally, though, are middle class to upper middle class, def not 'rich', but not impoverished either.

let me stop you there.

while I understand being poor and poverty....it's not nor will ever be part of my identity.

I fought alot for having a smart ass mouth and quick temper...

my identity is what defines me. being quick tempered and smart mouthed was apart of my personality. fighting was not..

I grew up and learned to control my mouth more..but it doesn't change my thoughts.

being poor is not a personality trait. so it can't be an identity..

being able to identify is understanding... being my identity is who I am.

see the difference

don't do that to yourself bruh.

you better than that as your people are.

"for a lot of us", not all of us
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options

ill tell you..

all of the bolded is ?

^^^cosign all of this

what @2stepz_ahead is talking sounds just like white people when black folks talk about how institutional racism is an obstacle

whether u choose to let it stop u has nothing to do with whether or not it exists in the 1st place

I'm not saying the obstacle aint there. but how long will we know about the obstacle but not try to conquer it?

or are we just gonna talk about if?
  • (Nope)
    Options

ill tell you..

all of the bolded is ?

but alot of ? goes on around you that you will ir won't take. but we gonna focus on what you said real fast.

so does this mean those that are around fukk ? will be like that fukk ? ? but why didn't they get away from it?

there are people who had two crackheads parents living in gangland yet become a doctor or some ? .

some day that's the exception an not the rule...OK, with all the odds stacked against them. their mentality carried them to greatness. their will.

it's like a rose growning outta concrete...you see it. it's not suppose to happen ...but it did. which means it can happen again.

I'm getting a lot of optimism from you and that's great (that's sincere). However, it's okay to strive for more and to still recognize that their are facts in the world. By understanding the narrative, it becomes possible to change the narrative. To that end, I gotta' assume that your question about the exception is rhetorical. Those "exception" questions help us come to solutions (I.E., "what would you change if you could?) In that way, your experience is valuable!

About putting people down, I know that's not your goal and I think I implied as much, but it's something that you're doing when you fault people for not having "the drive." You have to ignore a whole lot of context to look at a black man that grew up in inner-city America on the poverty line and deduce that man to "you don't have the drive." Do you feel like you have the drive? Do you understand why some people might see that as not helpful (or insulting)?

• 2stepz_ahead
    Options

ill tell you..

all of the bolded is ?

I'm getting a lot of optimism from you and that's great (that's sincere). However, it's okay to strive for more and to still recognize that their are facts in the world. By understanding the narrative, it becomes possible to change the narrative. To that end, I gotta' assume that your question about the exception is rhetorical. Those "exception" questions help us come to solutions (I.E., "what would you change if you could?) In that way, your experience is valuable!

About putting people down, I know that's not your goal and I think I implied as much, but it's something that you're doing when you fault people for not having "the drive." You have to ignore a whole lot of context to look at a black man that grew up in inner-city America on the poverty line and deduce that man to "you don't have the drive." Do you feel like you have the drive? Do you understand why some people might see that as not helpful (or insulting)?

first thank you ...you are right. I'm opportunistic.

as far as drive...that's why I make motivation threads.... to hell motivate an push you to be better. all it takes it a second of undistracted attention to spark a change.

I have seen drive but the drive was misdirected an that's why I saw my people can do better.

that's understanding our capabilities. that's giving credit.

ill give this story...no names cause he was my homie.

? i know on a playground in Philly....ballin his ass off. I often asked him why didn't he go pro....got all the reasons but this ? was the truth. I always told him he was better than AI...but he won't know unless he tries.

years later his people got lit up..but he made cuz he knew he could have gotten them out have he pushed harder an at least went abroad an took them.

he never really go over it....beats himself up almost everytime I see him about it.

now while I tried...it ultimately uo to him.but others saw his potential an wanted him to stay talking that...they will make you a slave ? ...

now look where we are.

so when I speak on drive...I say it because I see potential that needs the drive.

I also ask to follow up if they feel disrespected with progressive questions like why you think that. where you think I can go, or how can you help me.

that can lead to so much an it all comes back to mentality.
  • blakfyahking
    Options

I'm not saying the obstacle aint there. but how long will we know about the obstacle but not try to conquer it?

nah u not acknowledging the real obstacles if u using ? like Obama growing up in HI as a relevant experience

some of the ? u saying sounds like a HS bball coach trying to push a 5footer to pursue playing center in the NBA

I'm all for breaking past limitations otherwise I wouldn't be where I'm at.........but I'm not naive enough to just dismiss what other mofos are up against

• 2stepz_ahead
    edited May 2017
    Options

nah u not acknowledging the real obstacles if u using ? like Obama growing up in HI as a relevant experience

some of the ? u saying sounds like a HS bball coach trying to push a 5footer to pursue playing center in the NBA

I'm all for breaking past limitations otherwise I wouldn't be where I'm at.........but I'm not naive enough to just dismiss what other mofos are up against

why do you think I don't know what they uo against?..

the Obama example was for something else.

not for everyone.

but while you are where you are....do you not tell your homie they can do it too without acknowledging a problem you all know is there?

is it really nessacary?
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options

ill tell you..

here you go.

but is it?

the game aint fair.

feel me

what's black enough?

which type black people...

Black people who interacted with other black people most if not all of their life. If I grew up around Asians do you think I'd have the same connection to black people as someone who grew up around blacks their whole life? Hell Michelle was Obama's first black significant other before her he dated nothing but white women. Did he gain the connection after being around them over time? Yes. But as a youth he didn't have that connection.
  • blakfyahking
    edited May 2017
    Options

why do you think I don't know what they uo against?..

the Obama example was for something else.

not for everyone.

but while you are where you are....do you not tell your homie they can do it too without acknowledging a problem you all know is there?

is it really nessacary?

no I don't tell my homie ?

cuz I'm wise enough to know that if a man wants help then he will ask

"seek and u will find" is a proverb I have found to be true over and over again

most ? ain't trying to have u "school" them, ie. why majority of intellectual threads we have usually flop cuz it's mostly the same cats posting in them

just like the example u gave about ur bball playing friend...yeah u told that ? to strive for the NBA.....but trust that ur words ain't mean ? when u couldn't give that ? a path

meanwhile u talking hoops dreams to that ? , he busy running into real life and realizing that there are many other obstacles in his way that he can't see past.........hell every city and every neighborhood got a dude who spectacular at a sport and didn't make it........I was told by many people in my youth I was gon prob be in the NBA myself haha

but the reality is it doesn't make sense to fault ur friend's drive for not making it......if he wanted more he would seek more......and u can't blame him for his limits when all he knows what he was taught

I could only imagine where I would be today if I didn't have some of the experiences I had
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    no
    2stepz ima make this observation and u let me knowif Im wrong. It seems like ur from a good family backgroud ie suburban and u have been treated wrong by ? because they felt u are soft or not black enough or cant relate to the struggle? If so its fuccked up and wrong. With that said they are different struggle and types of black people. I was born in the Bronx and was around west indians ricans and black til 2nd grade. I moved to Tuskegee AL which is all black. Ill never forget going to college and seeing suburban black people. It was a culture shockand initially I was like ? these wierd black folk and didnt want to be aroud them. "Dude had on Burkenstocks and had dreads with seashells while I was used to cats with golds in they mouth and jordans. It was human nature to gravitate towards the folk that were like me and who I was comfortable with. Eventually I sociualized with them all. The other issue in our community is when those who make it try and look down of the others like they are better... That will bring out resentment on the other end.
  • (Nope)
    edited May 2017
    Options
    first thank you ...you are right. I'm opportunistic.

as far as drive...that's why I make motivation threads.... to hell motivate an push you to be better. all it takes it a second of undistracted attention to spark a change.

I have seen drive but the drive was misdirected an that's why I saw my people can do better.

that's understanding our capabilities. that's giving credit.

ill give this story...no names cause he was my homie.

? i know on a playground in Philly....ballin his ass off. I often asked him why didn't he go pro....got all the reasons but this ? was the truth. I always told him he was better than AI...but he won't know unless he tries.

years later his people got lit up..but he made cuz he knew he could have gotten them out have he pushed harder an at least went abroad an took them.

he never really go over it....beats himself up almost everytime I see him about it.

now while I tried...it ultimately uo to him.but others saw his potential an wanted him to stay talking that...they will make you a slave ? ...

now look where we are.

so when I speak on drive...I say it because I see potential that needs the drive.

I also ask to follow up if they feel disrespected with progressive questions like why you think that. where you think I can go, or how can you help me.

that can lead to so much an it all comes back to mentality

That's truly unfortunate and I can only imagine that it pains you to see your friend in such pain. Please correct me I'm wrong, but you have an existentialist perspective of things? I think that's a powerful perspective, but it isn't everybody's' perspective. To this end when I read your post, I thought that this friend is literally experiencing existential guilt. We all have a certain amount of freedom and balancing the responsibility of our freedom in a world that's gone ? crazy can make us feel like your friend does ("I could have done something different"). Your friend feels like if he had just played ball that he could have changed things? But what happened is not his fault. His drive or what could be perceived (based on your post) as a lack thereof didn't ? his people. A whole lot happened that neither your friend, his people, or even the shooter had control of before his people were killed. When we attribute something to an individual without considering outside factors that's whats called a Fundamental Attribution Error (FAE). In my opinion, when we internalize FAEs they can be poisonous.

Also, when you say "I see potential" I'm with you. I think you're right and that potential should be encouraged, so good on you! But, I also see the hierarchy of human needs.

88bgqk0xusus.png

If you are so inclined, I would recommend this as reading https://www.sonoma.edu/users/s/shawth/mans Search It's Victor Frankl "Man's Search for Meaning. He was in a prison camp during the holocaust and his existentialist view might help you in recognizing your own strengths and how exceptional what you did is and identify the reasons you did it outside of just "drive." I almost feel like you don't give yourself enough credit, which is odd to me because you are at the center of a lot of your communication. Which makes me wonder if you feel like you're not doing enough?
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    aneed123 wrote: »
    2stepz ima make this observation and u let me knowif Im wrong. It seems like ur from a good family backgroud ie suburban and u have been treated wrong by ? because they felt u are soft or not black enough or cant relate to the struggle? If so its fuccked up and wrong. With that said they are different struggle and types of black people. I was born in the Bronx and was around west indians ricans and black til 2nd grade. I moved to Tuskegee AL which is all black. Ill never forget going to college and seeing suburban black people. It was a culture shockand initially I was like ? these wierd black folk and didnt want to be aroud them. "Dude had on Burkenstocks and had dreads with seashells while I was used to cats with golds in they mouth and jordans. It was human nature to gravitate towards the folk that were like me and who I was comfortable with. Eventually I sociualized with them all. The other issue in our community is when those who make it try and look down of the others like they are better... That will bring out resentment on the other end.

nope....you guys state what would be obvious...

but y'all not hearing...

if I was treated bad back in the hood...i would be bashing ? not saying we or you are better..

I grew up in North philly an moved to Pulaski town in Germantown after....

what I saw was kids that couldn't grow up bring kids and fukkery.
    always promised to give back if I ever made it. so I do. I tefur to allow a kid with potential not try or at least hear it from me.

hearing me day you can do better is knowing someone can.

nothing more nothing less.

but in the process of me browning up I got questions for the people claiming hood....but they don't want these problems. cause what's being hood?
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    no

but y'all not hearing...

if I was treated bad back in the hood...i would be bashing ? not saying we or you are better..

always promised to give back if I ever made it. so I do. I tefur to allow a kid with potential not try or at least hear it from me.

but in the process of me browning up I got questions for the people claiming hood....but they don't want these problems. cause what's being hood?

Thats whassup... I asked that cuz I notice in a lot of convos on races ur perspective and u have said a lot of how ? treated u differntly
  • Rozetta5tone
    Rozetta5tone Members Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    First off salute to thread starter for the effort put into his opening post. ? I haven't seen that much effort put into a topic since 2008-2009.

But on to the subject at hand....

The black middle class is boring. They are too middle of the road to be discussed in a race driven culture.

Highlighting poor and black in America has become one of this country's past times. Regardless of what the numbers say, until being black AND middle/upper middle class becomes popular, poverty and ignorance will always be our dark cloud.

I know we aren't as bad off as portrayed by white America but white America controls America so they have the last say when it comes to the perception of black culture to the masses.

All of us could be upper middle class but until we are in key positions of influence, we'll always be the poor and down trodden trying to make a better way.

We don't have anything we can call our own other than hip hop and the hood. Sad but true. There lies the divide. The upper middle class/ upper class blacks often sacrifice their voice and identity to be accepted into the wealth of America.

War, reconstruction and a new direction is the only thing that will give us a true voice on the globe.

Me personally I know and see how deep our roots go but unfortunately there are plenty more that don't. We can talk numbers all day but until we change how the world sees us, we will always be the lower class.
  • blakfyahking
    Options
    The upper middle class/ upper class blacks often sacrifice their voice and identity to be accepted into the wealth of America.

this statement is worthy of a thread on its own..........how many black folks really make it without compromising themselves in some way/somehow
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options

but y'all not hearing...

Thats whassup... I asked that cuz I notice in a lot of convos on races ur perspective and u have said a lot of how ? treated u differntly

true but that's also because I saw bigger and better than where I was. ? used to say I was crazy or think white. but why? couldn't I ine day get a big house? I always heard...that's for them or that's TV or some ? . but my dad took me to work with him hauling trash....an we drove by big ass houses. I always asked ate we ever gonna get a house like that....his answer....if you work hard enough..now o got a few houses like that.

but what if he told me no...see my point.

an to your point of different...we are all different. just some ? don't want to show what makes them different cause of how will be viewed.

being young alot of kids want acceptance...that's where alot begin a lifetime of self image people pleasing.

I was just different. just ain't give a fukk what ? thought an was ready to fight because of it.

an when ? tried to place me in their box....I question why would you want to do that. whybput someone in a box when they we as people are already in a box. that's dumb...destroying our community and discouraging kids who want more but don't someone like my dad to tell them they can or they are not better than you.

so I often flip it an ask rather than saying I'm not hood because I won't do fukkery when you can clearly see my message....what are you doing to build us up.

if I'm trying to pull you above the struggles, it makes both our jobs harder by you still worrying about it. we both know it's there and it will be after your dead...but focus on your own momentum.

I can't stop you from drowning if you fighting me. I either gotta Knick you in the head an drag you unconscious to safety or you can relax and take the help offered.

it's all up to the individual and mentality
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    The upper middle class/ upper class blacks often sacrifice their voice and identity to be accepted into the wealth of America.

this statement is worthy of a thread on its own..........how many black folks really make it without compromising themselves in some way/somehow

yes...let's make the thread...an then you an I will fight ? .

the fukk is compromise. you said it before.

what act more white?
    less black?
    hold ya pinky out while drinking rose'?

I can't wait for this fight

an dont get "busy" an not show up ?
  • dnyce215
    dnyce215 Members Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    All this says we can't work together. Why is both classes looking down on another. One isn't black enough or other isn't sophisticated enough. When we going to settle our differences and work together for the common good of our people?
  • fuc_i_look_like
    fuc_i_look_like Members Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "poor is not about location as it's more about the mind."--2stepz ahead lol