Texas Prisons Ban Books by Langston Hughes, But ‘Mein Kampf’ Stays

Options
LUClEN
LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
langston-hughes-wiki.jpg

It turns out the laws governing which books are available to Texas prison inmates are capriciously enforced, at best. Complex reports that Sojourner Truth, James Baldwin, Langston Hughes, and other black literary icons are all banned from their libraries, where instances of the N-word or “deviant criminal sexual behavior” remain starkly forbidden — and yet, books like Mein Kampf and ? go uncontested. These racially-charged inconsistencies were brought to their attention by a group called Texas Civil Rights Project, which also notes that Texas boasts one of the highest incarceration rates in the US. Once convicted, you’ll find yourself barred from reading The Color Purple, but memoirs written by former KKK leader David Duke are fair game.

Comments

• HafBayked
    HafBayked Members Posts: 16,248 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    smh....idk man.....its sad but this one's sittin kinda low on the "? thats ? up around here" list

although I agree and am completely aware of the way certain laws are set up against blacks, I'd say most of them dudes didnt get down there by worrying about reading LH books
  • LUClEN
    Options
    Freedom of speech laws shouldn't only protect ? .
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
  • HafBayked
    HafBayked Members Posts: 16,248 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    HafBayked wrote: »
    smh....idk man.....its sad but this one's sittin kinda low on the "? thats ? up around here" list

although I agree and am completely aware of the way certain laws are set up against blacks, I'd say most of them dudes didnt get down there by worrying about reading LH books

I disagree. You never know. When all you got to do is read to pass time, books from great black authors might be what gets you to expand your mind and rethink some of your choices. It's happened before.

im saying they most likely werent reading at all before they got there
  • LUClEN
    Options
    "? Langston Hughes"

- Hafbaked
  • damnkp
    damnkp Members Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's Texas

I'm pretty sure the murder rate in your city is doing more harm
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I disagree. You never know. When all you got to do is read to pass time, books from great black authors might be what gets you to expand your mind and rethink some of your choices. It's happened before.

No, but people start doing a lot of ? inside prison that they weren't doing before they got there.
  • PanchoYoSancho
    PanchoYoSancho Members Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LUClEN wrote: »

That's ALL they protect. "? ! Die ? ! All ? go to Hell! Freedom of speech! It's my first amendment right!"

almostpolitically.jpg
  • grYmes
    grYmes Members Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options
    It's ? up but y'all wanna know how to fix this situation?

Don't go to prison. Those books should be read before you make those ? up decisions. Maybe even help rethink the black man plight.
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    Your family can order you books on amazon
  • Smokey Tha Bandit
    Smokey Tha Bandit Members Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LUClEN wrote: »

thats the correct answer
  • SneakDZA
    SneakDZA Members Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

No, but people start doing a lot of ? inside prison that they weren't doing before they got there.

pause.