Nas "One Mic": What's your final thought of this song?

Options
124»

Comments

• Ranxx
    Ranxx Members Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    And What does Jesus dying at 33 gotta do with 33 shots from glocks? Why my crew get 27 shots and I get six? ? is he talking about

Co-? -sign

I know ? was listening to this ? like

yeah_eddie_murphy.gif
  • TheGOAT
    TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Aztec_Kang
    Aztec_Kang Members Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Trigga T wrote: »
    "Jesus died aged 33, that's thirty three shots from twin glocks that's sixteen a piece, that's thirty two, which means, one of my guns was holding seventeen, twenty seven hit your crew, six went in to you..."

Don't know about greatest song of all time, but forever one of my favourite bars.

I honestly never got what was so impressive about that line. What is so amazing about comparing the age Jesus died to the amount of shots in a hypothetical shooting. I never got it. Is it using math in a rap bar? I'm hoping someone can explain this in a way that blows me away.
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Aztec_Kang wrote: »
    "Jesus died aged 33, that's thirty three shots from twin glocks that's sixteen a piece, that's thirty two, which means, one of my guns was holding seventeen, twenty seven hit your crew, six went in to you..."

Don't know about greatest song of all time, but forever one of my favourite bars.

I honestly never got what was so impressive about that line. What is so amazing about comparing the age Jesus died to the amount of shots in a hypothetical shooting. I never got it. Is it using math in a rap bar? I'm hoping someone can explain this in a way that blows me away.

Its just numerology. He's making a play on numbers. Its not necessarily a mind blowing lyric but for some reason people make a big deal about it like it is a mind blowing lyric.

A glock holds sixteen bullets. If you have two glocks then you have the ability to shoot 32 bullets.

But with guns you can put an extra bullet in the chamber. When you put an extra bullet in the chamber you get an extra shot. This means you can't put the gun on safety and if you pull the trigger by accident the gun will discharge.

If you've ever heard the expression "one in the chamber" thats what it means. Another example is a revolver that holds six bullets. You can put an extra bullet in the chamber so the gun can fire 7 shots, but the gun will always be cocked.

So basically Nas is saying that Jesus died at the age of 33. He had two glocks, each glock held 16 bullets. But there were 33 shots, so that means the person holding the gun must have put "one in the chamber".

Its not rocket science. Its just numerology. Kinda like when Rakim said, "I'll take 7 MCs and put em in a line, and add 7 more brothers who think they can rhyme/but it'll take 7 more before I go for mine/now thats 21 MCs ate up at the same time". It doesn't really mean anything but it sounds cool.
  • Aztec_Kang
    Options
    I got everything you explained on first listen. The line never blew me away. I guess people get excited when an artist mentions Jesus.
  • Qiv_Owan
    Qiv_Owan Members Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »

Its just numerology. He's making a play on numbers. Its not necessarily a mind blowing lyric but for some reason people make a big deal about it like it is a mind blowing lyric.

A glock holds sixteen bullets. If you have two glocks then you have the ability to shoot 32 bullets.

But with guns you can put an extra bullet in the chamber. When you put an extra bullet in the chamber you get an extra shot. This means you can't put the gun on safety and if you pull the trigger by accident the gun will discharge.

If you've ever heard the expression "one in the chamber" thats what it means. Another example is a revolver that holds six bullets. You can put an extra bullet in the chamber so the gun can fire 7 shots, but the gun will always be cocked.

So basically Nas is saying that Jesus died at the age of 33. He had two glocks, each glock held 16 bullets. But there were 33 shots, so that means the person holding the gun must have put "one in the chamber".

Its not rocket science. Its just numerology. Kinda like when Rakim said, "I'll take 7 MCs and put em in a line, and add 7 more brothers who think they can rhyme/but it'll take 7 more before I go for mine/now thats 21 MCs ate up at the same time". It doesn't really mean anything but it sounds cool.

I saw it as a Hov jab

The "one of my guns was holding 17" was a line meaning he stays ready for war

The 27 and 6 part was just math
  • silverfoxx
    silverfoxx Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 11,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So after two years, ? STILL can't prove why this song was so special huh?

It's crazy no one talked about the best part of the impact of the song: one voice starting a revolution or the power of lyrics to influence listeners.

Besides that y'all posting bars that's not even Impressive.

Project roach was simple, had triple entendres, heart felt lyircs, last poets and dope female vocals, and an stronger message.

https://youtu.be/LQ1cxBsOyDY

• Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "We need more warriors soon"

GOAT ?
  • power_wisdom
    power_wisdom Members Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Another name for Jesus is Jehovah. Jay-z called himself Hov for short. Hov the ? mc. Rappers spit bars in song structure usually 16 bars if rapping by themself. 16 bars a rapper spit = 16 bullets shot out a glock. Nas took on Jay and the ROC by himself. He gave Them 33 bars. 3 for every Mc in the Roc. ( State Prop, Bleek and Cam who signed in 2001.) That 9 mcs. 3 bullets for each. Jay got double which is 6 bullets for him. He made two songs, one dissing the whole Roc (Stillmatic) the other solely dissing Jay (Ether) two glocks = two songs taking shots at Jay and the Roc. That what I got out of it.
  • Chi Snow
    Chi Snow Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 28,111 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I never knew this song had so many naysayers

I know ? that don't ? wit Nas that ? with this cause it's just that raw

This song is what, 16 (whoa) yrs old. If it ain't classic/epic to you now the opinions of Internet cats ain't gonna make it so
  • Listencloser
    Listencloser Members Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options
    "? left me cause they thought I was finished. Should've known she wasn't true, she came to me when her man caught a sentence.

Diamonds were blinding. I never make the same mistakes, moving with a change of pace, lighter load. So now the King is straight."
  • blue_london
    blue_london Members Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's the song fake fans use to prove they like nas
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Same as it was when it dropped. Nas was spitting.
  • youngnick
    youngnick Members Posts: 600 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I've never heard anyone say this is the GOAT song (there isn't one) but this is a contender.
  • Aztec_Kang
    Options

Another name for Jesus is Jehovah. Jay-z called himself Hov for short. Hov the ? mc. Rappers spit bars in song structure usually 16 bars if rapping by themself. 16 bars a rapper spit = 16 bullets shot out a glock. Nas took on Jay and the ROC by himself. He gave Them 33 bars. 3 for every Mc in the Roc. ( State Prop, Bleek and Cam who signed in 2001.) That 9 mcs. 3 bullets for each. Jay got double which is 6 bullets for him. He made two songs, one dissing the whole Roc (Stillmatic) the other solely dissing Jay (Ether) two glocks = two songs taking shots at Jay and the Roc. That what I got out of it.

I think you're reaching on that one. Btw, I appreciate the song. Great song concept and the changes in tone are executed with great skill.

• power_wisdom
    power_wisdom Members Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I think you're reaching on that one. Btw, I appreciate the song. Great song concept and the changes in tone are executed with great skill.

How am I reaching? He also talked about Carmen in that song. He talked about Jigga on Got yourself a gun. Make sense to me. But maybe. I don't know the man.
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    greatest hip hop song? no but a classic

This
  • thuggathugga
    thuggathugga Members Posts: 125 ✭✭
    Options