Options

Comments

• Kat
    Kat Members Posts: 50,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Maywood wrote: »
    Kat wrote: »
    This is not far from where I grew up.

Clearly a poorly thought out "joke", but I think it's getting blown out of proportion. Should have been handled by the parents and the school district, but of course everything has to go viral these days. She needs some sensitivity training and a suspension. This woman was actually named teacher of the year at one point. I don't think it's worthy of ruining her entire career.

Just my opinion.

What if that was your child ?

I'd be up at the school quick fast and in a hurry. What I wouldn't do is notify the media or try to ruin a person's life over a stupid attempt to be funny.

It was in poor taste, but we've all done things in poor taste.
  • Maywood
    Maywood Members Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nah ..? That ...your child is watching how you respond w/This one..A message has to be sent..Just like every black poster here lessened there blows when it was found out a black woman did this..Color doesn't have ? to do w/It from the beginning...She gotta Go!!!!
  • Kat
    Options
    Nah ..? That ...your child is watching how you respond w/This one..A message has to be sent..Just like every black poster here lessened there blows when it was found out a black woman did this..Color doesn't have ? to do w/It from the beginning...She gotta Go!!!!

That's the first I've seen of that picture, last I read they weren't identifying the teacher.

My daughter would witness her mother handle an unacceptable situation with a level head. Humans ? up, and yes, we may have to pay for our ? ups, but I would be okay with some training and disciplinary action, and a personal apology to my daughter from the teacher.

I think a sincere apology and an explanation that she made a bad choice (which is what they teach at my daughter's school) that she regretted would be exactly what she would need to hear to make her feel better about the situation.

Parents overreacting and turning a hurtful experience into some national debacle at their kids expense wouldn't be the right way to go..but that's just me.
  • Maywood
    Options
    I'm gonna need you to Toughen the ? up...This Isn't Seventh Heaven or any other fantasy sitcom..U mentioned she was teacher of the year...Well the same way she was honored ,should be the same way she is embarrassed as that kid was...Locally,nationally holds no weight...Put your foot on her neck & break her
  • Kat
    Options
    I'm gonna need you to Toughen the ? up...This Isn't Seventh Heaven or any other fantasy sitcom..U mentioned she was teacher of the year...Well the same way she was honored ,should be the same way she is embarrassed as that kid was...Locally,nationally holds no weight...Put your foot on her neck & break her

Do you even have kids?
  • Maywood
    Options
    u8ahihqegzmk.gif
    Lmao..Yes 2 Girls 9 & 15
  • Kat
    Options
    u8ahihqegzmk.gif
    Lmao..Yes 2 Girls 9 & 15

Mine is 9 as well.

It's funny you say I should toughen up, when I find your view a little bitchmade. Different strokes I suppose.
  • Maywood
    Options
    Ehhhh Agree to Disagree ..The fake venom you have for my views ,I need for you to focus that on the teacher...We're done here ;)
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My teacher said I looked like a one back in 01

Me and him proceeded to score on each other the rest of the day.

Shrugs
  • sweetheart93
    sweetheart93 Members Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't understand how this was supposed to be a joke, it's not even close to being funny. Maybe if she handed out awards that said "fun police" or "negative nancy" etc then I could kind of see how she thought it would be funny but terrorist and blending in with white ppl. This lady needs to find a new career if she thinks giving ? like that children is a joke. Type of woman to put period blood in your soup and say "jk" after you eat it all.
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    This is not far from where I grew up.

Clearly a poorly thought out "joke", but I think it's getting blown out of proportion. Should have been handled by the parents and the school district, but of course everything has to go viral these days. She needs some sensitivity training and a suspension. This woman was actually named teacher of the year at one point. I don't think it's worthy of ruining her entire career.

Just my opinion.

What if that was your child ?

I'd be up at the school quick fast and in a hurry. What I wouldn't do is notify the media or try to ruin a person's life over a stupid attempt to be funny.

It was in poor taste, but we've all done things in poor taste.

Different careers have different consequences. When you're a teacher things you do in poor taste that affect your students isnt just a normal ? up
  • blackrain
    Options

That's the first I've seen of that picture, last I read they weren't identifying the teacher.

My daughter would witness her mother handle an unacceptable situation with a level head. Humans ? up, and yes, we may have to pay for our ? ups, but I would be okay with some training and disciplinary action, and a personal apology to my daughter from the teacher.

I think a sincere apology and an explanation that she made a bad choice (which is what they teach at my daughter's school) that she regretted would be exactly what she would need to hear to make her feel better about the situation.

Parents overreacting and turning a hurtful experience into some national debacle at their kids expense wouldn't be the right way to go..but that's just me.

This is where you being white and not understanding the pov of a person of color comes into play. Certain "jokes" have larger connections to ? in the past and putting that onto children from a teacher is a sign of a serious lack of judgement. You dont tell a little black child they are most likely to blend in with white people. Thats not a joke...and not something you say to a child.
  • Kat
    Options
    I guess it really just boils down to how serious you find the offense. It was stupid and out of line no doubt, but I think her entire tenure as an educator should play a part.

Personally, I don't feel the offense warrants overlooking all the good she's done and ruining her permanently.
  • blackrain
    Options
    She ruined her own career by deciding to hand out those "awards"
  • FRESHMAN
    FRESHMAN Members Posts: 66 ✭✭
    Options
    She's still a ? . Some kids can hold on to something like that for a long time and believe that kind of stuff. She's irresponsible and the certificates do nothing to further knowledge or wisdom to a child not even in high school. "Most likely to get thrown across a room"
  • Kat
    Options
    Yeah okay, clearly we have different opinions on the matter so we can leave it at that.
  • MsSouthern
    MsSouthern Members, Moderators Posts: 21,791 Regulator
    Options

What they did was mean and needs to be brought into the light . Bullying is not acceptable no matter who is doing it.

They also gave awards like " most likely to cry at anything " " most likely to not pay attention " to a child with disabilities

TEA does ALOT of things administratively... this deserves more than a slap on the hand

Oh course she has remorse after the fact ....they usually do

• Maywood
    Options
    Shizlansky wrote: »

Shrugs

vys81qcmdgxo.png
  • huey
    huey Members Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    teacher is a ? idiot, idk what else to say
  • MsSouthern
    MsSouthern Members, Moderators Posts: 21,791 Regulator
    Options
    Also saw one given to a biracial child that said "most likely to blend with white people"

• Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Shizlansky wrote: »

Shrugs

vys81qcmdgxo.png

You lost?
  • Kat
    Options
    FRESHMAN wrote: »
    She's still a ? . Some kids can hold on to something like that for a long time and believe that kind of stuff. She's irresponsible and the certificates do nothing to further knowledge or wisdom to a child not even in high school. "Most likely to get thrown across a room"

I agree that something like that might stick with a kid because they do look up to their teachers, which is why a sit down and a sincere apology and explanation to the child would be a requirement. They need to hear from her directly that she made what she thought was a joke, and that she doesn't truly feel that way about them.

It's real easy to judge and condemn, but that's not how I raise mine. She's taught that sometimes we mess up but it's how we handle it that is really important. She would forgive her teacher.
  • Maywood
    Options
    MsSouthern wrote: »

What they did was mean and needs to be brought into the light . Bullying is not acceptable no matter who is doing it.

They also gave awards like " most likely to cry at anything " " most likely to not pay attention " to a child with disabilities

TEA does ALOT of things administratively... this deserves more than a slap on the hand

Oh course she has remorse after the fact ....they usually do
    MsSouthern wrote: »
    Also saw one given to a biracial child that said "most likely to blend with white people"

And you wanted to keep this story between you & the teacher ...Nah this is the ? that's Supposed to go on Social media..Gotta expose the Evil...Bullying is horrible..but when it's from someone who's suppose to protect ..Toughen Up Kitten
  • Kat
    Options
    You toughen up..I'm good.
  • R0mp
    R0mp Members Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    When trying to be cute backfires.