The Official Boxing Thread

Options

Comments

• killap
    killap Members Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I hope Spence doesn't wait for Thurman, he should look to build his brand with a fight in the fall, then Thurman early next year.
  • Koltrain
    Koltrain Members Posts: 4,286 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    R.D. wrote: »
    Catching the repeat

Brook looks noticeably bigger

I thought Spence looked bigger during the buildup

Spence is a dog bro

I think Brook should've came over to America sooner. This fight should've been bigger. This was a fight between the best in the division

Brook looked bigger the first half of the fight, then when he started wearing down, Spence looked bigger
  • Valentinez A. Kaiser
    Valentinez A. Kaiser Members Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Koltrain wrote: »
    Catching the repeat

Spence is a dog bro

I think Brook should've came over to America sooner. This fight should've been bigger. This was a fight between the best in the division

Brook looked bigger the first half of the fight, then when he started wearing down, Spence looked bigger

Paulie M made a good observation in commentary about how when boxers come together sometimes they get extra physical (e.g. lean on top of the other guy, push them back, putting them in headlocks etc) even if they're taking shots, as it can sometimes have a detrimental affect in the other boxer's mind like "wow I'm hitting him with what I got but he's still coming at me and pushing me back".

I think Brook was definitely doing that a lot more in the opening rounds, being the aggressor and staying on top of Spence;
    Brook-Spence-Sheffield-810211.jpg

that's why I made the comment live that I was impressed with Spence's inside work during those moments. But as the fight went on Spence powered through and stood tall, whereas Brook was literally trying to make himself look small to avoid getting hit.
    Brook-Spence-Body-ST2-800x533.jpeg
  • Valentinez A. Kaiser
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Kell Brook has confirmed he suffered a broken eye socket in Saturday's defeat to Errol Spence Jr at Bramall Lane in Sheffield.

Brook sunk to his knees in the penultimate round with his swollen left eye causing obvious distress, before referee Howard Foster called a halt to confirm Spence Jr as the new IBF welterweight champion.

Sheffield's Brook had previously suffered a broken orbital bone in his middleweight defeat to Gennady Golovkin last September but it was his other eye that resulted in his defeat against Spence Jr, who was ahead on all three judges' scorecards at the conclusion.

Speaking to Sky Sports News HQ, Brook said: "They kept me in until about 3am. I had a CT scan on my eye and the eye is broken again, same as the Golovkin one, so, maybe surgery again.

"I'm devastated. I knew from round seven that the eye had gone and progressively as the rounds went on. I tried to get through the fight and it kept going double vision and then coming back into line.

"In the later rounds 10 and 11, especially 11th round, it stuck there and that's why I went down on one knee and I remember the surgeon saying to me after the Golovkin fight if you would have gone another round or so you could be blind so I've got that going through my mind as well.

"I'm in my own city, I'm in Sheffield. I wear my heart on my sleeve. There were many things going through my mind but I remember thinking I live to fight another day."

Considering his future, Brook admitted he must now move up in weight as he stressed the difficulty of competing at the highest level at welterweight.

"I think the time is now maybe to move up," Brook added. "I've been making welterweight since I was a teenager. My first fight I was about nine or ten.

"I went up to middleweight in my last fight, I put a lot of muscle on and it was so hard to get to welterweight."

The 31-year-old spoke of his pride at fighting in his home city, but admitted losing the world title was difficult to take.

Brook said: "I'm devastated but I'm also happy because I'm hearing the fans had a great night and I'm walking out, looking up and thinking will this ever be done again? Seeing everybody at the Lane and the energy was fantastic last night.

"When I got caught in the 11th it (his eye) wouldn't come back into line. It actually stayed there and it was coming on strong and I knew that I couldn't see and I knew he is a very sharp shooter - a very good fighter, Errol Spence Jr, and I knew that it could be fatal with some of the shots he was chucking.

"If the eye hadn't have gone I think the fight would have mapped out a little bit differently but it is what it is and I didn't get the win."

kell-brook-injury-957252.jpg

So he broke his eye socket again like his last fight which the surgeon told him had the fight with GGG gone any longer he could have been blinded, and dudes really going in on him for taking a knee against Spence?

Health above the ? !
  • OmegaConflict
    OmegaConflict Members Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    His career is over now you fan boys can ? bout mr. Glass
  • playboy buddy rose
    playboy buddy rose Members Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think brook needs to consider retirement
  • Mastery
    Mastery Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 14,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Damn, 2 broken eye sockets two fights in a row. He did fight 2 murderous punchers back to back. It might be time to call it.
  • Valentinez A. Kaiser
    Options
    I'd still like to him fight Khan so maybe two fights and be done.

Touch up fight following his back to back Ls then Khan
  • Mastery
    Options

Khan has all the excuses in the world. Especially after this loss, Khan will use it to continue avoiding Brook.
  • mdot
    mdot Members Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Catching the repeat

Spence is a dog bro

This wasn't gonna get bigger in the states. Brook doesn't have that big of a folllowing for him to have campaigned in America. But who knows I guess. I went to Brook vs Porter he had cool little section of U.K. Fans making some noise for him though they are some passionate fans.

But yeah this was in front of 27k a great atmosphere this fight was big over there and I'm sure Spence made his biggest payday and Brook should be good money wise after this fight.
  • mdot
    mdot Members Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mastery wrote: »

Khan has all the excuses in the world. Especially after this loss, Khan will use it to continue avoiding Brook.

Khan should be good he can't get knocked out if his opponent can't see him. Make the Brook fight!

Blind Brook still puts his lights out.
  • perspective@100
    perspective@100 Members Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Valentine wrote:

Health above the ? !

This that new soft mentality you ? bringing in the game. Same as defense in the NFL nowadays.

Man up, this the hurt business. I don't pay good money to see ? gracefully bow out.

• Maywood
    Maywood Members Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Valentine wrote:

Health above the ? !

This that new soft mentality you ? bringing in the game. Same as defense in the NFL nowadays.

Man up, this the hurt business. I don't pay good money to see ? gracefully bow out.

How do you sleep @ night ?tmrsjugpofuv.gif
  • Rum Middleton
    Rum Middleton Members Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Well Kell got a titanium plate in his ? right now, he bout to get another one on the other side now, wouldnt that help him out?
  • Mastery
    Options
    aneed123 wrote: »
    MR.CJ wrote: »

Khan a ? ass opportunist... wouldn't fight that man for 8 years now he ready after he got 2 broken eyes ...

Exactly. Khan been ducking Brook forever. Now that GGG and Spence broke his eyes, now this ? want a piece. Shameful ? .
  • Mastery
    Options

Khan a ? ass opportunist... wouldn't fight that man for 8 years now he ready after he got 2 broken eyes ...

"In the later rounds 10 and 11, especially 11th round, it stuck there and that's why I went down on one knee and I remember the surgeon saying to me after the Golovkin fight if you would have gone another round or so you could be blind so I've got that going through my mind as well."
  • Valentinez A. Kaiser
    Options

Exactly. Khan been ducking Brook forever. Now that GGG and Spence broke his eyes, now this ? want a piece. Shameful ? .

Khan was waiting for someone to hand him the blueprint on how to beat Brook, and now that he's got two manuals, he feels brave enough to catch that fade smh
  • stringer bell
    stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I kinda feel bad for Brook cuz khan Thurman and Garcia ducked him and he got 2 broken eyes and maybe a shortened career.

You really believe that propaganda from Eddie Hearn.. Nobody was ducking that ? ...
  • Mastery
    Options
    I kinda feel bad for Brook cuz khan Thurman and Garcia ducked him and he got 2 broken eyes and maybe a shortened career.

You really believe that propaganda from Eddie Hearn.. Nobody was ducking that ? ...

Stringer, you usually on point, but it's been documented. Khan been ducking Brook for over 5 years. Khan and Brook did a recorded interview together about 5 years ago where Khan was making every excuse in the book not to see Brook. Facts is facts dog.
  • Rum Middleton
    Rum Middleton Members Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Well Kell got a titanium plate in his ? right now, he bout to get another one on the other side now, wouldnt that help him out?

Oh you ? is laughin at me now? *In my Method Man voice in Belly* LOL
    Maybe I dont know how titanium plates work, but without lookin at the replay, I cant remember if his right was takin mad punishment...
  • stringer bell
    stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Stringer, you usually on point, but it's been documented. Khan been ducking Brook for over 5 years. Khan and Brook did a recorded interview together about 5 years ago where Khan was making every excuse in the book not to see Brook. Facts is facts dog.

I wasn't talking about Chinless Khan.. I referring to Thurman & Garcia.. I know those two weren't ducking Kell...