• The_Jackal
    The_Jackal Members Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Last real ? alive>>>>>
  • jim1000
    jim1000 Members Posts: 198 ✭✭
    Options
    qawshun wrote: »
    It was the take over snipplet ending with ask nas he don't want it with hov.
    Nas came with the stillmatic freestyle
    Then take over
    Ether
    Super ugly
    Last real and blue print 2.
    A few shots on other songs here and there. Off that tho i thought the jungle line was him saying he'd ? on him, being that he said he's big dog etc i took the line a completely different way.
    Over all track was dope

Iono if you know this my ? but last real came after blue print 2. Nas ended that battle/war with that scarface line. Last real might be the most underrated song in this battle. Nas basically made jay look weak as hell for trying to come at him while he was going through some personal ? with his moms. Blue print was a nice jab and good song but last real convinced me that Nas won the battle overall imo.
  • jim1000
    Options
    colton wrote: »
    this should've came out instead of Super Ugly when the beef was still fresh

You probably right but still I don't think it would have been strong enough to dethrone ether. He basically admitted that he took a loss.
  • a_list
    a_list Members Posts: 4,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yea, Jay was really shocked and disappointed...Came off whiny and still trying to get people to side with him...When I first heard it, I was like he thru in a couple shots, but he's hurting....
  • natural born sinners
    natural born sinners Members Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mister B. wrote: »
    Song was dope, but it was very definition of WHY he lost.

At that point, he's not even addressing Nas anymore; he's addressing us, copping a plea as to why Ether damn near broke his soul, to the point where he felt he had to put out Super Ugly.

Had he put this out instead of SU, this whole battle would be different, but Ether did its work, knocking almighty Hov off the pedestal, and he couldn't understand why.

I liked the song(mostly bc of the beat)...but hated the concept, chorus and most importantly that ? u said bout Jay addressing the fans on some "I'm cool, why do u guys like nas" type ? ..look at me."I donate money and his brother is a garden anyways" lol
  • stackmaster 313
    stackmaster 313 Members Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jay Z just couldn't believe people believed Ether basically what he was saying. Like he knew Nas was fake, but it was like nobody could see it but him. So he tried to explain it to yall on the song. Like people actually believed that Ether ? when 90% of it is a lie. Still don't understand how peoole say Jay lost to this day. When he said I gave you Life people forgot you MC'd. I'm a legend you should take a picture with me. It's just no comparison to me period. I still can listen to old Jay albums to this day and pick up new gems the older I get.
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jigga had the flutes playin before Future and his molly precocet anthem
  • The Nuisance
    The Nuisance Members Posts: 391 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I put dollars on mine ask Columbine...

Always though it was wack for hov to be out here telling the public bout his humanitarian efforts to beat a conscious rapper in a rap battle

Nah Nas called him materialistic and superficial so Jay was stating that he donates and assist the underprivileged. Basically saying Nas talks that save the world ? , but I put my money up!
  • stackmaster 313
    stackmaster 313 Members Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Always though it was wack for hov to be out here telling the public bout his humanitarian efforts to beat a conscious rapper in a rap battle

Nah Nas called him materialistic and superficial so Jay was stating that he donates and assist the underprivileged. Basically saying Nas talks that save the world ? , but I put my money up!

They not going to get it bro ? damn near 15 years old and they still don't understand.
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Jay Z just couldn't believe people believed Ether basically what he was saying. Like he knew Nas was fake, but it was like nobody could see it but him. So he tried to explain it to yall on the song. Like people actually believed that Ether ? when 90% of it is a lie. Still don't understand how peoole say Jay lost to this day. When he said I gave you Life people forgot you MC'd. I'm a legend you should take a picture with me. It's just no comparison to me period. I still can listen to old Jay albums to this day and pick up new gems the older I get.

They not going to get it bro ? damn near 15 years old and they still don't understand.

We understand what Jay was saying and he would have won or tied, but the problem is he released SupaUgly immediately after Ether.

If he released Blueprint2 instead of SupaUgly the outcome would have been different.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Dope song but it was a Hail Mary in the last 15 seconds of the fourth quarter while you're down by 21, even if he scored he still lost.

Jay miscalculated the strength of the Carmen Bryan situation. All his jabs were a set up for that punch but he telegraphed the punch and it did little damage anyway.

Nas jabbed from angles and attacked from different directions. Even though Jay had a solid strategy he couldn't withstand the uppercuts and the haymakers Ether delivered. It was clear Jay wasn't expecting that ? .

How was it clear?
    Because he had no response.

Jay went with the punch he had loaded, SuperUgly, because he felt like he had to. When reception for that track went south he started spiraling out of control.

Ether knocked him off his square to the point where he was whining and copping pleas. He underestimated Nas, alot of people did, and he paid for it.

T.I. did the same versus Luda. You enter the ring expecting your opponent to lay down but instead they blast back outta nowhere.

Mike Tyson versus Buster Douglas in lyrical form.
  • jim1000
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »

We understand what Jay was saying and he would have won or tied, but the problem is he released SupaUgly immediately after Ether.

If he released Blueprint2 instead of SupaUgly the outcome would have been different.

Ok say Jay never dropped supaugly and instead dropped blueprint 2 and Nas still drops Last real after that. You still think the outcome would have been different??

IMO I think the outcome would still be the same as Nas being the victor because of the way both artist came with blueprint2 and last real. Jay still indirectly said that he lost and Nas basically said he killed him even though Nas was wounded on some personal ? and he felt sorry that he had to ? him even though he didn't mean too aka the scarface line.
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    jim1000 wrote: »

Ok say Jay never dropped supaugly and instead dropped blueprint 2 and Nas still drops Last real after that. You still think the outcome would have been different??

IMO I think the outcome would still be the same as Nas being the victor because of the way both artist came with blueprint2 and last real. Jay still indirectly said that he lost and Nas basically said he killed him even though Nas was wounded on some personal ? and he felt sorry that he had to ? him even though he didn't mean too aka the scarface line.

@ the bolded

The reason Nas killed him was because SupaUgly was weak.

If he had either

a. released Blueprint2 the day after Ether

or

b. not released SupaUgly and waited until his next album to release Blueprint2

Last Real ? Alive wouldn't have made sense. Because Takeover was a strong diss. Alot of people think Takeover was better than Ether. But nobody thinks SupaUgly was better than Ether.
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Neither one of them ? topped ether so it don't matter in what order those songs were released
  • FlightKing
    FlightKing Members Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Jay-Z-and-Lucious-Lyon.jpg

Blueprint 2 was debuted at Club Leviticus. Ol' Luscious Lyons ass song.
  • THE_R_
    THE_R_ Members Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I DON'T CELEBRATE LOSERS.

WEAK VERSE. MOST ASSED OUT VERSE OF ALL TIME IMO
  • blackamerica
    blackamerica Members Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Still til this day don't know what 'jungle is a garden to me' means

Jigga was just piling on at this point he destroyed nas wit 3 verses
    Lmao. Yall ? lol. Nothing Jay said in any of his disses was as vicious as Ether, stop it fam. Even the Stillmatic freestyle was classic
  • The_Jackal
    The_Jackal Members Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kwan Dai wrote: »
    The_Jackal wrote: »
    Last real ? alive>>>>>

I was Scarface, Jay was Manolo
    It hurt me when I had to ? him and his whole squad for dolo

Dopeness.

Not even go front was on the fences when the beef started but this line ceased all doubt in my mind. Plainly simple but sharply gets his point across

• 5 Grand
    Options
    Kwan Dai wrote: »
    Last real ? alive>>>>>

I was Scarface, Jay was Manolo
    It hurt me when I had to ? him and his whole squad for dolo

Dopeness.

Not even go front was on the fences when the beef started but this line ceased all doubt in my mind. Plainly simple but sharply gets his point across

And then he dropped Quick To Back Down
  • jim1000
    Options
    jim1000 wrote: »

@ the bolded

The reason Nas killed him was because SupaUgly was weak.

If he had either

a. released Blueprint2 the day after Ether

or

b. not released SupaUgly and waited until his next album to release Blueprint2

Last Real ? Alive wouldn't have made sense. Because Takeover was a strong diss. Alot of people think Takeover was better than Ether. But nobody thinks SupaUgly was better than Ether.

alot of people think takeover better than ether? Nah my ? . i tend to agree with you on a lot of things u say but most hip hop heads think ether was better and its not even close.
  • za'kiss
    za'kiss Members Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options
    jono wrote: »

Jay miscalculated the strength of the Carmen Bryan situation. All his jabs were a set up for that punch but he telegraphed the punch and it did little damage anyway.

That's right. He had a clear strategy in the beginning that just didn't work. He tried to take a page from the 'Pac playing book. The problem is that he gave away the game and let Nas know exactly what he had up his sleeve at the end of "Takeover". So Nas bit the bullet and used the strategy against him: cast him as a misogynist on "Ether" and then went for his credibility, preempting the Carmen angle. As you said, Jay didn't know what to do and stuck to his strategy, but it backfired, because now you got Rosie Perez dissing you and got your moms making you apologize on Hot 97 for saying nasty things about women. It was pretty ingenious on Nas' part.